Thread: Panto season 2009

Panto season 2009

Pamela Anderson will make her pantomime debut in a UK production of Aladdin this Christmas.

The actress, best known for her role as CJ Parker in 90s TV show Baywatch, will guest star as the Genie of the Lamp for two weeks at London's New Wimbledon Theatre.

Chat show host Paul O'Grady will assume the role for the final week of the show's run, marking his first panto appearance since 2005.

Different actors will play the genie for the first and final weeks of December, and these castings are yet to be announced.

A spokesman for the theatre said: "We hope they will all bring something completely different to the role."

Brian Blessed will head the core cast in the role of panto villain Abanazar.

O'Grady said: "I am really excited to be back in panto this year having not done one for some time. This is also the first time I'll be playing a goodie as I've been the villain in most of my other stage roles. Having made a living frightening children it's probably time I aired my softer side. If I can find one in time."

Pamela will appear on stage from Sunday December 13 to Sunday December 27. O'Grady will assume the role from Tuesday January 5 to Sunday January 10.

US star Henry Winkler, who famously played the Fonz in sitcom Happy Days, has previously appeared in pantomime at New Wimbledon Theatre, playing Captain Hook in Peter Pan in 2006/07.

From Daily Mirror

EX-EASTENDERS Joe Swash and Kara Tointon are keeping their fairytale romance alive - by appearing together in panto.
    The lovebirds - who met while playing siblings Mickey Miller and Dawn Swann - will star as Snow White and Prince Charming at Bristol's Hippodrome this Christmas.

Kara said: "It'll be strange to work together again but we're looking forward to it."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-in-panto.html

Is it just me or do other people not like seeing celebs in panto? I think it kinda ruins things because the audience wait for the celeb to come on stage and make a big deal out of it. At the end of the day, they're the same species as us but just happened to make it on to EastEnders or some other program.

I'd much rather go the to theatre I went to since I was a small child and see people who care more about entertaining the audience at christmas than how much they're getting paid.

We have had the same two main stars up in Edinburgh for the last eight years. Grant Stott (A radio presenter and John Leslie's brother) and Allan Stewart (A Scottish comedian who plays the dame.) Every year we go and the theater is packed out because Panto is part of Christmas. It's not about the big stars it's about us all being kids for two hours and booing the baddies and cheering the goodies. Adults get more fun out of yelling "Oh no it isn't" and "He's behind you." than the kids do.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Aww I love panto

Roxanne Pallett has reportedly pulled out of her starring role in a pantomime after her best friend died.

The former Emmerdale actress, who is said to be devastated by the sudden death, was due to appear in performances of Cinderella at Newcastle's Theatre Royal this weekend.

According to the Daily Mail, 26-year-old Pallett has now returned home to Carlisle, where her best friend also lived, to be with family. It is currently unsure when she will return to the show.

The Dancing On Ice star's agent yesterday released a statement that read: "On Friday, December 11, Roxanne Pallett received the tragic news that her best friend from home had been found dead. She was and still is understandably in pieces and grieving in a great deal of shock.

"Roxanne was taken from the Theatre Royal in Newcastle where she was due to perform as Cinderella straight back to Carlisle to be with family at this heartbreaking time."

Pallett is contracted to appear in the show until January 16.

From DS

is it wrong that ive already booked my panto tickets for next year?

Aww, that is such a nice thought, good on you. I think pantos are good family entertainment and fun and I hope that they will never stop.

Thread Information