Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Dallas comeback?

Although I loved Dallas first time round I'm not at all sure they could pull it of again, JR Bobby and Sue Ellen, I hear will be in it, and undoubtedly they were great, but Pam Lucy Ray Cliff Miss Ellie, could it really be resurrected without all of them, I mean to a reasonable standard, It will be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by lillabet View Post
    Although I loved Dallas first time round I'm not at all sure they could pull it of again, JR Bobby and Sue Ellen, I hear will be in it, and undoubtedly they were great, but Pam Lucy Ray Cliff Miss Ellie, could it really be resurrected without all of them, I mean to a reasonable standard, It will be interesting to see.
    Lucy and Ray are in it plus Cliff Barnes.

Great thats quiet a few of the old faces back,

Dallas star Linda Gray has revealed her dream storylines for Sue Ellen and JR in the show's upcoming new season.

Gray will reprise her role as Sue Ellen in TNT's new episodes of the show but admitted that she does not yet know what will happen to her character.

However, Gray added that she has some ideas for the relationship between Sue Ellen and JR (Larry Hagman).

"I think either they'd be partners in crime where they could do things together, not devious but maybe in a powerful way," she told Digital Spy. "A very powerful team. Not a romantic team, but maybe they could be a force for good or maybe they could help their son.

"Or they would be at odds. One could say one thing to the son and the other one the other thing and then there'd be a tug of war. Either way it could be interesting."

Gray added that she is "very excited" about working on the new Dallas, saying: "[I'm] very honoured to have been chosen to be one of the three that came back, very excited about working with my buddies Patrick [Duffy] and Larry. Just thrilled. It's such an honour to be back on such an iconic show."

Dallas will begin on TNT in summer 2012. Meanwhile, in the UK, CBS Drama will begin repeating the original series tomorrow at 11pm.

'Dallas' Linda Gray DS interview: 'I liked Sue Ellen's drunk scenes'

Dallas is one of those television shows that became a true phenomenon. From the legendary 'Who shot J.R.?' storyline to the classic return of Bobby in the shower, it's one of those series that will be thought of fondly for years and years to come.

If you fancy a bit of a nostalgia trip, or if you've never actually seen Dallas, you're in luck! CBS Drama is repeating the show in full from tomorrow, so you've got a chance to relive the whole thing.

To celebrate the news, Digital Spy decided to chat to the programme's star Linda Gray, who you might remember as Sue Ellen. Read on to find out what it was like starring in the original series and why she's excited about the new episodes which will air in the US next year...

So why do you think Dallas is such a legendary show?
    "It's a great question, and you know, I don't think anyone really knows the proper answer because it's individual. Why did it appeal to so many people, from the younger people to the older people?

"I think people love shows that are relationship-oriented. I think they love family shows. I think they like to look at rich, powerful people who are dysfunctional! I think simply people love to be entertained and that's what we love to do. We love to entertain people - that's our job on the planet. That's what we do. And if people respond, all the better.

"So I think we were absolutely blessed to have a show as powerful and as global as Dallas that was cross-generational, and to this day I hear stories about people watching it with grandma and sneaking down in pyjamas because they were not allowed to see it. You have that whole gamut of generations and now I'm talking to 20-year-olds who are hooked on the DVDs, they just love it.

"It's kind of shocking to us that it's achieved that status after so long. We went on the air in January of 1978 - it's like, 'Oh my God, how long is it going to keep going and we're still out there?' It's a phenomenon for us as well."

Do you ever resent being linked so closely to Dallas and Sue Ellen? Do you ever wish you could break away from it?
    "Well, the word isn't 'resent'. I think it's lovely for any actor to work and that's what we do - we like to work. The downside is that people so closely identify you to that character that it's challenging to get other jobs.

"And then you look at your life and you think, 'Okay, I've been attached to Dallas for a long time. Is that a negative? No. Is it a positive? Yes. Has it prohibited me from working on other things? Yes, but I've carved my way out and done a lot of other things. But you have to dig a little deeper when you're so attached to a character."

Obviously Dallas is known for its dramatic moments - were there any twists and turns that particularly shocked you?
    "You know, there were a lot of surprises, a lot of twists and turns that were really surprising to me. I don't think I was shocked a lot because we were so enmeshed in the work that things didn't really shock us a lot. We were always surprised and we would giggle and laugh and go, 'Oh my God, we're doing this this week'.

"I think we were fascinated. We were fascinated by the phenomenon of 'Who shot JR?' We didn't know it was going to be that huge. We were fascinated by the reaction when Bobby came back in the show. So there were a few things that were fascinating and interesting how the fans reacted, so there were a lot of fascinating moments more than shock I think."

Do you have a favourite scene from the original series of Dallas?
    "Yes! I loved my drunk scenes. I know that may sound very strange to people! I got to just let go and just do a down and dirty version of Sue Ellen. It was like, 'Just let me at it and roll those cameras'. I remember being in makeup for 20 minutes, which normally took two hours. They put some kind of gel in my hair and some very light makeup and I loved it. I said, "Just let me go, please don't edit me, just let me go'.

"They told me they were going to take me down as Sue Ellen. I said, 'How far?' and they said, 'Down'. I said, 'Okay, if you're going to take me down it's got to go all the way'. As an actor, that was my joy. I just loved it. I loved the freedom and I loved the lack of any kind of... She didn't care what she looked like. She didn't care about her clothes.

"I remember having a very expensive Valentino outfit on and they ripped it! They tore it. I was shocked, I was like, 'Oh my God'. Then I remember thinking, 'Maybe they can fix it? I was like, 'You don't tear a Valentino!'

"Anyway, it was just one of those charming, charming, charming times where I just got to blow it out. I just wanted Sue Ellen to be raw unlike any other time in her life, where she was the victim and she was this and she was that; JR would do something and she would react, he would do something and she would have an affair or drink or whatever. This was just like, 'Let me go. Let Sue Ellen out of that box'."

You're working on a new season of Dallas now. Are you excited?
    "Very. Very excited. Very honoured to have been chosen to be one of the three that came back, very excited about working with my buddies Patrick [Duffy] and Larry [Hagman]. Just thrilled. It's such an honour to be back on such an iconic show."

Do you think the show is still as good now as it was back then?
    "Oh I think so. I think you'll be very surprised when you see the pilot. Patrick, Larry and myself are the three older ones, then they've introduced a beautiful crop of new, talented young actors that really we're very proud of. We're very, very excited to see them all coming on the show."

What do you think Sue Ellen will be like in the new episodes?
    "Well, you're just going to have to watch and find out!"

Do you think we'll see any more of those drunk scenes?
    "Hopefully not. Above all, she will be very interesting. I never want her to be boring. She was never boring before - she started out kind of boring, but I think that's the kiss of death because people will expect her to be interesting. By interesting, that doesn't mean she's drunk.

"I had to do a lot of thinking about what we would do with her. Where would she be now? I did a lot of homework finding out where she would be and what Texas women are like now. What has she gone through in her life? What has she come to grips with? What does she like about herself? What doesn't she like about herself? What kind of impact is she going to make on her life, on her son's life, on her future? Who is she?

"So I did a lot of homework and finding out more about her internal workings, put it all together and I came up with some pretty good ideas, I thought, and I gave them to the writers. Whether they take them or not is up in the air, I don't know. But we planted a seed in the pilot that should be very interesting.

"Sue Ellen isn't very prominent in the pilot which is fine for me because we planted a seed and that's the interesting part for me."

A lot of people will be wondering about Sue Ellen's relationship with JR now - how do you think that will turn out?
    "Again, I don't know. We've only seen one script and we've filmed it. They've done a lovely thing and they're introducing us to the writers - we've never had that luxury. They're being very lovely and respectful to us. It's really charming the way they're treating us. So we get to meet the writers and have lunch with them which will be lovely, and off we go!"

What would you like to see for JR and Sue Ellen?
    "Because it's been 20 years since they've been on screen together, I think either - I mean, these are just hypothetical, these are not things I've said to the writers - but I think either they'd be partners in crime where they could do things together, not devious but maybe in a powerful way. A very powerful team, not a romantic team, but maybe they could be a force for good or maybe they could help their son, whatever he would be up to. I think it would be very interesting.

"Or they would be at odds. One could say one thing to the son and the other one the other thing and then there'd be a tug of war. Either way it could be interesting, but the bottom line is it's got to be interesting!"

Obviously Dallas was huge back in the day with the 'Who shot JR' phenomenon and so on - do you think it could repeat that success and be just as talked about this time around?
    "That's a great question, but I don't really know. When the original show was on the air it was so interesting because we didn't have nine million channels and cable and the computer and TiVo and VCRs. We didn't have all that stuff. So I don't know whether people will still watch it or whether there will be that kind of intrigue and interest.

"I don't know whether there could be another 'Who shot JR' kind of thing but you know, we didn't know it was going to be a phenomenon when we shot it, so the whole thing is kind of interesting. But the interesting thing is we're there and people want to see it and I bless them. It's like, 'Yes, come and see us and see what we can do and see what we come up with!'"

If someone has never seen Dallas before, why should they tune in to watch?
    "I think there's magical chemistry. I think the chemistry and the characters are absolutely fascinating and I think that Texas is a place in the world where people think everything is bigger and expensive. I remember the film Giant and how people were fascinated by that lifestyle that seemed so different from any other part of the world - there were oil wells and rich people and cowboys.

"It was a different place, it was a whole different thing. It wasn't like going from city to city where you see the same stores and the same things. I think Texas in interesting in itself and then you add the complex people and their interactions. It's sort of its own little world and I think that's fascinating."

5 have snapped up the rights to the remake of Dallas. The eighties soap classic is being revived in a series to hit British screens next year.

Veteran Larry Hagman, 80, returns as stetson-wearing oil tycoon JR Ewing in the ten-parter. Patrick Duffy, 62, reappears as JR's brother Bobby. And Linda Gray, 71, will be back as bouffy-haired Sue-Ellen, JR's long-suffering wife.

Former Desperate Housewives stars Jesse Metcalfe and Brenda Strong will also feature in the new series, which will focus on the next generation of Ewings.

The original series ran for 13 years and the 1980 episode which revealed the answer to the cliffhanger "Who shot JR?" drew 83million viewers in the United States alone. It also won huge ratings on the BBC.

Channel 5's director of programmes Jeff Ford said: "With its alluring mix of wealth, seduction, scandal and intrigue it's a hugely exciting addition to our 2012 schedule."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...irs-again.html

I dont like Jesse Metcalfe couldnt act to save his life

Larry Hagman has been diagnosed with cancer.
    The 80-year-old actor is famous for playing JR Ewing on Dallas.
    In a statement, he said: "As JR I could get away with anything - bribery, blackmail and adultery. But I got caught by cancer."
    Hagman declined to specify what kind of cancer he has, but said it is "a very common and treatable form".
    The actor plans to continue working on a revamped Dallas for TNT, which is due to begin production.
    The new Dallas focuses on the Ewing offspring as they clash over the future of the family dynasty.
    The original prime-time soap opera aired from 1978 to 1991.
    Hagman underwent a liver transplant in the mid-1990s.
    Hagman said: "As we all know, you can't keep JR down!"

PA

Hope they can treat him

Carlos Bernard has won a recurring role on TNT's Dallas relaunch.

The former 24 star will play a suave Venezuelan businessman, according to Vulture.

Bernard's character will work to strike a deal with veteran businessman JR Ewing (Larry Hagman).

The actor is best known for his role as 24's Tony Almeida, and currently appears on CSI: Miami.

His additional TV credits include guest roles on Charlie's Angels and Burn Notice.

Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo and Brenda Strong will all appear in the new Dallas series, alongside original stars Hagman, Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray.

The first season will wrap filming in January 2012 and will premiere on TNT in the summer. Channel 5 will air the show in the UK.
    Last edited by Perdita; 09-11-2011 at 14:19.

Thread Information