Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas comeback?

A full series update of classic 1980s US soap opera Dallas has been given the go ahead, it has been announced.

US network TNT said it had ordered 10 episodes of the programme, after it commissioned a pilot earlier this year.

Original stars Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray reprise their roles in the new show, which will focus on the Ewing family offspring.

The series is due to air in the US next summer. It is not yet known if it will be shown in the UK.

"TNT has explored the possibility of an updated version of Dallas for several years, but it wasn't until we read Cynthia Cidre's outstanding pilot script that we knew we had the foundation for a great new series," said TNT's Michael Wright.

"It is incredibly exciting to see both new and familiar characters in the hands of a dream cast. We couldn't be more pleased with how Dallas has come together."

Texas feud

Cidre wrote the 1992 film Mambo Kings.

Following the bitter rivalries and power struggles within two feuding Texan oil and cattle-ranching families, the next-generation Dallas update centres on John Ross and Christopher Ewing as they clash over the future of the family dynasty.

Star of 90210 Josh Henderson, who appeared as a child in the original series, will play John Ross, son of JR Ewing, while Desperate Housewives star Jesse Metcalfe will play Christopher, son of Bobby Ewing.

Fellow Housewives star Brenda Strong will also appear as Bobby's latest wife, with The Fast and The Furious star Jordana Brewster starring as a character involved in a love triangle with the Ewing cousins.

TNT will preview the new series on its network on Monday night.

The original Dallas ran from 1978 to 1991 on US network CBS and was also broadcast to huge UK audiences on the BBC.

BBC © 2011

They've got it wrong. They should have a remake with Nicholas Cage as JR he has the Texan accent. He'd be perfect as J.R.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Larry Hagman has revealed that the new version of Dallas opens with JR Ewing in a bad way.

The 79-year-old star played the oil baron in the original series, and is returning for the reboot alongside Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy.

But the actor, whose wife has been battling chronic Alzheimer's, told the Daily Mirror that the JR we see at the start is not the one we'll recognise.

He said: "Let's just say that things have been as tough for JR as they have been for me."

He added that he was not in the remake, which stars Jesse Metcalfe and Josh Henderson, simply for the money.

He said: "I wouldn't have signed off if the script wasn't good. The new kids are gorgeous and have good teeth but can also act."

PA

'Dallas' Ken Kercheval to reprise Cliff Barnes role

Ken Kercheval is to reprise his Dallas role in TNT's forthcoming relaunch.

The 76-year-old actor played Cliff Barnes, nemesis of J.R. Ewing (Larry Hagman), in the original series from 1978 to 1991.

He will appear in the updated Dallas for a multi-episode arc, according to TV Guide.

Ten episodes of the new show have currently been ordered, with Kercheval currently signed up to appear in the third, fourth and tenth instalments.

Other original Dallas actors confirmed to appear include Hagman, Patrick Duffy (Bobby Ewing), Linda Gray (Sue Ellen Ewing), Charlene Tilton and Steve Kanaly.

The Fast & The Furious actress Jordana Brewster and Desperate Housewives stars Brenda Strong, Jesse Metcalfe and Josh Henderson will also appear in the show.

Dallas will premiere on TNT in summer 2012.

Dallas 2012 - First Look

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-09-2011), parkerman (15-09-2011)

I just hope it's as good as the original.

Back in the 1980s my local union journal at the British Museum (which some of you will know about from a certain book published earlier this year and still available from Amazon and all good book sellers!) had a "Dallas Page" in it, which I compiled. It had the latest news, spoilers, quizzes etc. Of course, in those days, it was a bit harder to find spoilers - no Internet! I used to have a contact in the USA who would send me cuttings from American magazines. Episodes of Dallas in America were in front of those in the UK so I could see what was coming up. It was the most popular page in the journal.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Perdita (15-09-2011)

I was in school when Dallas was last on, but it was a big talking point among me and my friends. We even had a class discussion with the teacher about who shot JR.

I loved James (JR's son)

I loved Dallas. I remember when Bobby died. My best friends mum used to work on the night Dallas was on a Wednesday i think, anyway my friend Julie had to record it for her mum to watch the next day. After school the next day we went to Julie's house and I asked her Mum if she had seen Dallas she said she hadn't had the chance to see it yet. I started telling her what happened in great details she threw me out of the house

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Thread Information