Thread: Not enough gay or mixed race characters in EastEnders?

Not enough gay or mixed race characters in EastEnders?

EASTENDERS has always come under fire from critics for not reflecting what life in the capital is really like - but now two of its own stars have knifed soap bosses in the back.
    John Partridge and Nina Toussaint-White have blasted the BBC1 show for not having enough gay and mixed race characters.

Nina, who plays Syd Chambers, said that bosses need to introduce far more mixed race relationships to the programme to make it true to life.

And John, who portrays Christian Clarke, thinks a larger proportion of gay characters would make the soap more representative.

Speaking about her character's relationship with Bradley Branning (Charlie Clements), Nina told TV Biz: "You never got mixed-race relationships before and I'd like to see more of them. It's getting better but it's under-represented.

"EastEnders is set in London and there are a lot of black people, Asian families and other cultures there and it doesn't show that."

The 24-year-old, who is mixed-race herself, said the Walford-based soap was better than its rivals, but added: "The other soaps are Northern so the diverse culture we have in London doesn't always apply up there."

She admitted she thought bosses had drafted her in to be part of a new black family.

Nina added: "I auditioned at the same time as Rolan Bell, who played Chelsea's boyfriend Theo.

"I thought 'Here's a new black family coming to the Square' or that I'd be fitted with the Trumans. I'm glad I wasn't put there."

John, 38, hit out at producers for not having more gay relationships in the Square. He fumed: "There still need to be more gay storylines because gay is mainstream now.

"You've only got to turn on your TV to see gay presenters, journalists - it's all out there.

"As much as I say it's not a big deal there's still a taboo about it. While some people say it's difficult to show a gay relationship at 7.30pm, what's so offensive about two men together really?

"So I think 'Bring it on - the more kissing the better!'"

He also said that he'd like to see his character end up living happily ever after with confused gay Muslim Syed Masood (Marc Elliott), adding: "I think that would be a more positive message."

A happy ending in EastEnders? TV Biz can't see that happening anytime soon John.

A soap spokeswoman said: "EastEnders has always reflected the diversity of London's East End. The Masood and Fox families are among our most loved characters with some of the most topical and ground breaking stories."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-of-touch.html

Well we have Syed and Christian (gay and mixed race) and Bradley and Syd (mixed race) there was Bianca mum and dad.. We also had that nurse who broke up Martin and Sonia.. and didn't we see Winston recently with a hot woman???
    Super Mod

EE never get the balance of characters right as they will go for a long time of having one character of different race and then none at all. When they have characters or a family of a different nationality in the show, they home in on the stereotypical view of what a family like that would be like in real life. When I write this I think of the Taverniers who were potrayed by inexperienced actors.

I think they don't need to worry about the races of the characters so much they need to be more concerned with the acting abilities of the actors they employ and writing better storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    and didn't we see Winston recently with a hot woman???
    Yes, this could be the ideal opportunity for a big storyline for Winston.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    you don't give up do you!
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_2k9 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    you don't give up do you!
    He's my hero.

he really should get more screen time

What about hooking him up with Janine when she gets the Vic and he can get rid of her and become the new owner of the pub, he's spent enough dosh in the place over the years. It's time he reap his reward.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

parkerman (03-10-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'brien View Post
    What about hooking him up with Janine when she gets the Vic and he can get rid of her and become the new owner of the pub, he's spent enough dosh in the place over the years. It's time he reap his reward.
    Brilliant, Chloe. Have you ever thought of becoming an Eastenders scriptwriter? I'll support your application.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Chloe O'brien (03-10-2009)

You know I love it when you stroke my ego. The cheque is in the post. But I can't take all the credit for my brilliant ideas Septic Peg gives me lots of support and guidence, she would be an asset to the EE writers team.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Thread Information