Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: London Olympics 2012

London Olympics 2012

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...-ceremony.html

Damon Albarn is reportedly being considered as a candidate to direct the London Olympics' opening ceremony in 2012.

According to NME, the Blur frontman has already met with the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games for preliminary discussions about the role.

An appointment is expected to be announced early next year. However, a Locog spokesperson refused to be drawn on the possibility of the musician's appointment, saying: "It is complete speculation and we are still months away from making appointments."

Although plans are already under way for the event, the UK Olympics is apparently unlikely to boast the resources used for Beijing's celebrations last year.

"I doubt we will have 20,000 people doing things in unison in our opening ceremony," Paul Deighton, chief executive of Locog said. "That's just fine. That's the beauty of contrast."

Spice Girls to open 2012 Olympics

The Spice Girls are set to perform at a spectacular opening ceremony for the 2012 Olympics.

Pop Svengali Simon Fuller – who turned the group into the most successful girl band ever – is behind a sensational move to reform them for the London games.

Simon, 49, said: “They stand for so much in British music history and I can’t think of a better time for them to get back together for another performance. The demand for them as a band is as strong as ever.”

The event will be seen by an estimated two billion people.

Fuller also hinted that a tour around the time of the Olympics could mark a farewell from Victoria, Mel B, Geri, Mel C and Emma.

He said: “They will not want to be performing hits like Wannabe in their 40s, but it’s amazing how often people talk about another reunion. And I think if they do it, it’s going to be in 2012.”

The plan to bring the girls to the Olympics comes on a weekend of celebrations to mark 1,000 days until the start of the Games.

Officials have been promising a pop concert which would provide a glittering celebration of Britain’s musical talent.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has vowed: “The 2012 Olympics will be spectacular. Music and the cultural aspects will be very important.”

Signing up the Spice Girls would be a major coup – they are the most successful British band since The Beatles, selling more than 65million records world-wide.

The girls last appeared on stage in February last year in their Reunion Tour which earned them more than £40million.

Two months ago the girls – minus Posh, 35 – met in London for a dinner to talk about a reunion.

Ginger Spice Geri, 37, later revealed: “Right now we are gathering information and thinking about possibilities. But you don’t tell the world until it’s concrete.”

Fuller managed the Spice Girls at the peak of their success, but was sacked by the band in 1997 after falling out with Geri and Mel B. But he has since made up with the group and would be able to mastermind a reunion for 2012.

Not only has Fuller managed the careers of stars such as the Spice Girls, singer Annie Lennox and model Claudia Schiffer, his record label currently holds recording rights for the some of music's biggest stars.

He is also the brains behind the Pop Idol phenomenon.

The girls are currently working hard on their own projects. Posh has her own clothing label while Mel C has begun a six-month run in Blood Brothers on London's West End.

Emma, 33, is a radio DJ for Heart FM while Mel B is carving out a career as a TV presenter. And Geri is working on a movie screenplay as well as being a best-selling children’s author.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/...5875-21788219/
    Last edited by Perdita; 01-11-2009 at 08:31. Reason: source

London Olympics 2012

I would just like to congratulate London on winning the 2012 Olympics, I honestly didnt think they would get it, but it made my day

Hopefully Ill be able to take the family to the Olympics to watch a bit

The London 2012 logo is crap. It makes me laugh everytime I see it as it looks like a sex act

London Olympics 2012

For me it was either Tokyo 2016 or Rio 2016, screw Chi Town

Brazil is very lucky now, WC in 2014 and Olympics 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Going To Kill Rudolph In Nigeria View Post
    The London 2012 logo is crap. It makes me laugh everytime I see it as it looks like a sex act
    I can't agree with you more. I thought - are they serious? - when they revealed it. It could've been drawn by a five year old. Such a waste of money.

London will be a nightmare during the olympics, I doubt they will have sorted the transport system by then!

I hope I will get reduced tickets, living in London. Probably the only time I'll go to an Olympics.
    Last edited by StarsOfCCTV; 06-12-2009 at 17:11.
    Peter: So how many are there? Is it bad? Olivia: Did you eat? Peter: Yeah. Olivia: Well, that's unfortunate.

Slumdog Millionnaire helmer Danny Boyle has reportedly been approached to direct the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics.

According to The Times, the award-winning director is a favoured candidate for the event which is expected to have a live audience of 80,000 and be seen by billions on TV screens around the world.

"We want the most imaginative ceremony the world has ever seen. Nothing has been signed yet, but we do fully expect him to do it," a source claimed.

Responding to the speculation, Boyle said: "I can't say any more. It would be lovely, wouldn't it?"

Boyle's previous work also includes Trainspotting, which has been voted the best Scottish film of all time in various polls.
    Last edited by Perdita; 07-06-2010 at 22:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
    is it this one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Super Mod

The Royal Mail has confirmed that London's new Olympic Park will use EastEnders' fictional postcode.

As a testament to the long-running soap opera, an E20 postcode is being introduced for the destination in Stratford.

For the last 26 years, E20 has been exclusively linked to Walford. The postcode has also been used as the name of the club in Albert Square.

Stephen Agar, Royal Mail's director of regulated business, said: "It is fitting that such a significant development in London has been allocated its own easily recognisable postcode more than 150 years after the world's first postcodes were introduced in the capital."

Meanwhile, Andrew Altman, chief executive of the Olympic Park Legacy Company, said: "This is a new postcode for a new part of London. E20 will be one of the capital's most popular districts focused on community-living, sport and entertainment."

Has anybody applied for tickets? Some of them are priced at £750 each Who would pay that sort of money for a few hours watching sport? I'd rather watch it from the comfort of my own home than get bashed around on the tube, sit in traffic and pay absurd amounts for food and drink in the height of summer.

I'll definitely be watching the gymnastics, trampolining and some athletics (not running though). Anything with a ball I'll give a miss, except rugby and maybe squash.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Thread Information