PDA

View Full Version : Wuthering Heights ITV1

DaVeyWaVey
31-08-2009, 13:11
Did anyone watch this last night? I missed it and forgot to record it but will probably watch the second part tonight, at 9pm. I am curious over how they've adapted it to the screen.

It's one of my favourite ever novels but I am cynical over whether they can capture what was so brilliant about the novel to the screen..

GossipGirl
31-08-2009, 13:19
Oh no I missed it :(

I was watching something else on SKY what time is it on?

DaVeyWaVey
31-08-2009, 13:22
9pm-10.30pm tonight.

GossipGirl
31-08-2009, 13:35
Thanks I will watch it!
Disappointed I missed it last night too.

alan45
31-08-2009, 15:59
I watched it last night Davy. Never having read the book to start with I cant say how realistic it is/was.

I found it difficult to get into at the start but persevered. Got a bit confused between Catherine and Cathy but will definitely be watching the 2nd part tonight.

Debs
31-08-2009, 17:32
GRRRRR wanted to see this!! will have to try and catch the second part tonight

DaVeyWaVey
31-08-2009, 18:19
Ahh my mum recorded it for last night and tonight, so I will watch both episodes later in the week!

GossipGirl
31-08-2009, 19:20
Lucky you!

LostVoodoo
31-08-2009, 21:22
I found it difficult to get into at the start but persevered. Got a bit confused between Catherine and Cathy but will definitely be watching the 2nd part tonight.

yes, they've messed around with the timeline to make it more tv-worthy. if you read the book Cathy dies about a third of the way in (not a spoiler since they show Cathy is dead within the first five minutes of the programme) but that would be a bit boring in a tv programme.

its not bad i suppose. a bit glossy to me though; the weather never seems bad enough or the Heights dirty enough.

Chloe O'brien
31-08-2009, 23:30
we didn't get it up here. stv to mean to pay itv to view it so I will just have to catch it on iplayer.

GossipGirl
31-08-2009, 23:33
I didn't watch it as I was watching Without a Trace :)

Siobhan
01-09-2009, 12:22

yes, they've messed around with the timeline to make it more tv-worthy. if you read the book Cathy dies about a third of the way in (not a spoiler since they show Cathy is dead within the first five minutes of the programme) but that would be a bit boring in a tv programme.

its not bad i suppose. a bit glossy to me though; the weather never seems bad enough or the Heights dirty enough.

I love Wuthering Heights the book (my all time fav) but missed this last night.. but if what you are saying is true, they must be doing the "2nd" half of the book... Most movies I have seen only deal with to when Cathy dies.. (there is a really good black and white version with David Niven if you are interested)..

parkerman
01-09-2009, 13:57
I think they dealt with what is a very difficult book to translate to film or tv very well. The original is a bit backwards and forwards timewise and there is also the confusion over who is telling the story, Lockwood or Nelly.

I think most people, who have not read the book and have just seen other films and TV adaptations (not to mention Kate Bush's song) have the impression that Wuthering Heights is just a love story involving the eternal triangle with Cathy, Heathcliff and Linton, but, of course, there is much more to it than that and, as has been said, Cathy dies relatively early on in the novel and the effects of this on the families involved plays a significant role, which is usually discarded.

I think it was a good stab at presenting the book, though even then, much of it had to be excised for the purposes of fitting it in to two 90 minute episodes.

DaVeyWaVey
04-09-2009, 15:29
I've watched the two episodes yesterday and today - I actually thought it was really well done. I would say it is a very hard book to adapt to the screen, as I wouldn't call it a love story at all - more like a tragic obsession that consumes Cathy and Heathcliff and acts like a disease, eventually killing them both and I think that's difficult to translate to the screen.

I thought the acting was brilliant though. Heathcliff was just how I pictured him and the woman that played Catherine has to be the most beautiful person I've ever seen.

The only criticism is that they missed parts of the book out, but I guess it's difficult to include everything in such a short time span. I wish we seen some more of the disruptive weather on the moors for example, as that symbolised how Cathy and Heathcliff both clashed against each other and were like forces of nature.

Siobhan
04-09-2009, 15:32
storms is one of the key points in the books so I don't understand how they left that out...

LostVoodoo
05-09-2009, 11:20
storms is one of the key points in the books so I don't understand how they left that out...

ditto, it only rained once in the whole thing! there's snow and wind and god knows what else in the book all the time! life at the Heights wasn't grim enough either. in the book is a dirty, dark place.

parkerman
05-09-2009, 17:15
the woman that played Catherine has to be the most beautiful person I've ever seen.

You can say that again! :wub:

Her name is Charlotte Riley.

Hannelene
05-09-2009, 17:18
She was the reason I watched the take on Sky

Johnny Allen
06-09-2009, 13:54
She was the reason I watched the take on Sky

She was excellent in that and Wuthering Heights and Tom Hardy was sensational in both too.

Hannelene
06-09-2009, 14:19
I know :)

I hope we see more of them on tv