PDA

View Full Version : Ashes To Ashes Series 3

lizann
24-08-2009, 14:51
Marshall Lancaster has revealed that he is glad Ashes To Ashes is ending after its third series.

According to The Sun, the 34-year-old actor, who plays DC Chris Skelton in the BBC series, said that he wants to show to go out on a high rather than being "flogged to death".

"These sorts of shows have only so much mileage and it will have gone as far as it can," he said. "I think we can stretch only one more series out of it.

"Everything should draw to an end at some point and sometimes you can flog these things to death. You've got to aim for something like Fawlty Towers where they didn't film many episodes but they were all brilliant."

Discussing the final series of Ashes, he teased: "It will be a real eye-opener and won't be what everybody expects."

Lancaster can currently be seen playing Becky's ex-boyfriend Slug in Coronation Street.

Katy
24-08-2009, 17:32
Im kind of glad they are finishing it as i dont want it ruined. I am really looking forward to the ending.

Chloe O'brien
24-08-2009, 22:34
I'm sorry it's ending although i don't want it to go stale. i'll miss Gene Hunt.

Hannelene
26-08-2009, 20:40
Gene Hunt is just pure class!!

LostVoodoo
29-08-2009, 20:28
they should do a spin-off where Gene Hunt comes to 2009!

GossipGirl
30-08-2009, 10:38
I must be the only person who never watched this- did I really miss out on something great?
Is it worth buying on dvd?

Chloe O'brien
31-08-2009, 23:16
I must be the only person who never watched this- did I really miss out on something great?

Yes & Yes.

GossipGirl
31-08-2009, 23:22
thanks off to ebay I go to try and see if I can get this cheap on there

JustJodi
04-09-2009, 23:52
omg ITS AWESOME and YES u missed out,, and YES buy the DVD :thumbsup:

Chloe O'brien
05-09-2009, 00:37
Don't forget to buy Life on Mars dvd first.

Hannelene
05-09-2009, 07:10
When will series 3 begin? I am so excited with this news

JustJodi
05-09-2009, 10:46
Don't forget to buy Life on Mars dvd first.

ohhhhhhh yeaaaaaaa thats where Gene the Genie started ..... :rotfl:

JustJodi
05-09-2009, 10:47
When will series 3 begin? I am so excited with this news

the program has a fan site on Face Book,, it seems to be quite up to date:searchme:

Hannelene
05-09-2009, 10:49
Does it where?

JustJodi
05-09-2009, 10:56
http://www.facebook.com/justjodi143?ref=name#/BBC.Ashes.to.Ashes

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=6651130

for the gene hunt fans

not sure if this will work,,, but they post TONS AND TONS AND TONS of stuff:cool:

Hannelene
05-09-2009, 10:59
Wow so much stuff I am now officially a fan!

Johnny Allen
06-09-2009, 13:56
I cant wait for a new season. Season 2's ending was mindboggling and just left you hanging for more. Plus I miss my Gene Hunt fix.

Hannelene
06-09-2009, 14:18
Gene Hunt is great I wish they would re-run this again

Katy
06-09-2009, 18:18
i watched the first sereis on DVD recently, it was brilliant! I love the whole thing.

Perdita
09-12-2009, 09:51
After three series (or five, if you count the two from predecessor Life On Mars), Ashes To Ashes will finally come to a conclusion next year with a final episode that the creators promise will answer all of the show's many questions. Who is Gene Hunt? What's really going on with Alex Drake? And whatever happened to Sam Tyler? In the next of our 2010 TV Previews, Tube Talk sat down for a chat with exec producer Matthew Graham to find out more about the highly-anticipated swansong.

Where does series three pick up?
"Series two ended on a cliffhanger with Alex in the present day. Or as far as we're aware, the present day! So series three is pretty much a direct pickup from the cliffhanger - obviously we deal with that. I know what the fans are fascinated by, and nervous about, is that we're not going to go back to the '80s, but 1983 is the featured year this time. So although we have this cliffhanger that brings us into the present day, very early on in series three you're going to see what we've been doing and what the twist is. We will find ourselves eventually in 1983."

Where are you at with production at the moment?
"We've finished filming episodes one to four, we're currently filming episodes five and six, then we start filming episodes seven and eight in January. We're doing our last ever read-through on December 14. That's the last time we sit down with the cast and read the scripts, which is obviously quite a momentous occasion for us."

What prompted your decision to end the show after three series? Was it purely creative reasons?
"Yes, it was totally creative. There were no mitigating circumstances. We had always hoped to do a third series of Life On Mars but the workload was too much of a burden on John Simm, so we agreed to bring it to an end. With Ashes, right from the start we always said there would be a three-year plan. The idea was to get darker with each series: series one would be quite frothy and iconically '80s, then series two we would peel back the layers and get a bit darker, then series three we would get right down to the nitty gritty and all the deep stuff we have to go through to get all the revelations we want."

Did you always know from the start of Ashes exactly how you would end it?
"Yes. From the start of Life On Mars, no - we evolved. We knew how Life On Mars would end, but it was never going to end with any revelations about Gene Hunt. It was always going to end with discovering whether Sam was in a coma or not, because that was the journey we focused on. With Ashes, we set out to explore what this world meant, who Gene was and what he represented. Along the way, we have come up with new aspects to that character and the show that we didn't have right at the start, but the basic end point has always been the same."

A few times previously you've hinted that there's a big revelation to come about Gene. What does that mean?
"Well, it is a revelation but it's really about finally drawing a line under Gene as a character and saying 'this is what he is'. If you think of this as a show set in the '80s about a brutish, anachronistic, maverick cop, then you don't need a revelation, that's just who he is. But we've always had this esoteric, supernatural aspect to the show which has been a very strong thread that ran through it. So we don't feel we've ever fully explained that. If you talk to any fan of the show, they still have conflicting theories about where Alex is and who Gene is, so in a way what we're saying is that we're going to finally explain the mythology we've created. And in theory, there will be no mystery left."

The ending of Life On Mars was somewhat ambiguous. So you're saying that Ashes will have a more definite explanation?
"Not only that, but it will also hopefully explain the ending of Life On Mars as well. The idea is to unify the two shows. Series three unifies Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes and makes them one show. By the time you get halfway through series three of Ashes To Ashes, you will actually feel like you're watching series five of Life On Mars!"

So with that in mind, can we expect Life On Mars characters to come back in Ashes series three?
"Umm... you can!"

How about a specific character...?
"Umm.. no! Hahaha! But you can expect Life On Mars to be bleeding in to Ashes To Ashes. I think that's a better way to explain it."

Old characters aside, are there any big new characters this series?
"We have a fabulous new character played by Daniel Mays, who is just awesome. I can't tell you anything about his character at the moment, but I can tell you he's a big, strong presence in the show - as big as Supermac - but running right through the series to the climax. He's crucial and integral to the mythology of the show, and he's amazing. Daniel has something of the John Simm quality to him, in that every scene he's in, he's magnetic. He roots everything in an amazing emotional truth - very centred, very focused, very real."

As far as you're concerned, will Ashes series three be the absolute end of the franchise? Or could there be another spinoff, in the '90s?
"No. No, no, no. I will go on record now and say there will be no other spinoff. This is it, this is the end, I've written the last ever lines I will ever write for Gene Hunt. The BBC are fine with that too. When we were doing series two of Ashes, they asked if we could carry on after series three, but we said 'please can we just end at series three? We're ready, the cast are ready, everyone is emotionally ready to finish the story.' It's the kind of premise that demands an ending. There's no way we could do another series of Gene Hunt after this. There would be no mystery left. So yep, this is it."

If you could sum up the conclusion in three words, what would they be?
"'A dog's breakfast!' No, how would I sum it up? 'It's very sad'. It is sad!"

Will people cry?
"I hope people will be crying, yes. I cried while we were making it, but that was for budgetary reasons more than anything else! But I hope so - I hope people are moved by it. The ending of Life On Mars turned out to be quite emotional and I hope we deliver something along those lines."
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s49/ashestoashes/tubetalk/a190547/2010-tv-preview-ashes-to-ashes-3.html

Dazzle
10-12-2009, 16:56
...what we're saying is that we're going to finally explain the mythology we've created. And in theory, there will be no mystery left

It would be great if the mystery was totally explained and the shows were wrapped up neatly. It would be very satisfying, even if it's sad (as hinted).

tammyy2j
04-03-2010, 14:42
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2010/wk12/

20-26 March 2010

Philip Glenister and Keeley Hawes return in the third and final series of the time-travelling police drama, which sees DI Alex Drake waking up in a hospital bed back in 1983, having been shot by her boss, DCI Gene Hunt, three months ago

Dazzle
04-03-2010, 16:05
I'm really looking forward to this.l

Katy
27-03-2010, 13:36
I saw the advert today, Good Friday i think its starting! I cant wait.

Chloe O'brien
27-03-2010, 23:35
Did you see the picture in today's sun with them doing Billy Joel's Uptown Girl. I can't wait for the return of the Gene Gennie.

JustJodi
28-03-2010, 00:59
Iam so excited,, Friday is going to be terrific !!!!!!!!!!!I have missed Gene Hunt !!! Wonder if Gene and "Bolly" will end up together this time around ???????????/

Chloe O'brien
03-04-2010, 02:15
I think they're all trying to blame San Tyler's death on Gene and maybe they will all die. But the Gene Gennie will always be the winner.

Katy
03-04-2010, 14:36
i enjoyed it! thought David Mays was good, i think hes going to be the one thats going to try and blame gene fr sams death maybe,

Katy
23-04-2010, 22:27
did anyone watch it tonight, what on earth has that character Louise been in before, its driving me mental.

Chloe O'brien
24-04-2010, 01:40
did anyone watch it tonight, what on earth has that character Louise been in before, its driving me mental.

Her name is Zoe Telford she was in Foyle's War last Sunday. How funny was tonight's episode with the Blue Peter garden being vandilised. Can you imagine if the police were involved. :lol:

Katy
24-04-2010, 08:24
i loved that bit, especially the way alex just went "is that a garden" and he was like yeah, why?

The clip for next weeks looks good to.

moonstorm
24-04-2010, 15:02
Me too, loved the bit about the Blue Peter garden. :lol:

Katy
14-05-2010, 22:36
how infuriating was it tonght! think they are building up to the big finale next week! i

Perdita
14-05-2010, 23:02
I quite enjoyed tonight :) But you are probably right, the big finale is on its way

Chloe O'brien
15-05-2010, 00:14
Has anyone a clue what is going to happen cause I don't. But how heartwarming was Chris and Gene's hug. I'm gonna get all emotional next week.

Dazzle
16-05-2010, 17:52
I really enjoyed this week's episode - it's all so mysterious. Where is Sam Tyler? I really hope all the loose ends are tied up satisfactorily next week.

Johnny Allen
16-05-2010, 18:57
Its all getting complicated with the voices and stars that Shaz, RAy and Chris keep hearing and seeing. Is Nelson set to return on friday now Luigi's cousin is dead?.

I have a theory that Gene is trying to keep everyone in his world and that Keats is trying to take their life's away and take them out of Gene's world.
Think about how keen Keats is for the characters to break away from Gene, Shaz with a new job, Chris to stand up for himself, Alex to keeping digging further on Sam. All the characters have fought against Keats and had their awaking moment with the music and stars, all that is except Alex. Alex has not learnt to trust Gene fully yet maybe next week, yet she hasnt taken Keats advice fully either. I have a feeling big things are going to happen on friday but I just sense that Gene is like some God trying to hold onto all of them in his world and Keats is like death, taking them away. Like he did with Viv, like Keats took his life, Viv betrayed the Guv and never redemmed himself.

Having said this not sure about the Sam Tyler angle. Would not be surprised if theres a major twist at the end despite producers and cast saying it all ties up at the end. And apparently none of the cast guessed the ending either. Cannot Wait. Friday is to far away.

I also think that young copper following Alex is either a young Gene or Chris. Maybe Chris because of the mention of how whistles make him jump.

Katy
16-05-2010, 21:34
i have no idea! im so looking forward to seeing the conclusion though. I really thought that alex and gene were finally going to gether.

moonstorm
21-05-2010, 10:33
Daniel Mays: 'Ashes fans really hate me'
BBCDaniel Mays has admitted that fans of Ashes To Ashes hate him.

The actor, who plays Jim Keats, explained that he is glad he is moving to South Africa for his next job on new BBC sci-fi drama Outcasts.

"The fans absolutely hate me, mainly because Jim interrupted the kiss [between Gene and Alex] last week," he said. "I'm relieved I'm working in South Africa because I don't want any crazed Ashes To Ashes fans coming up to me in the street."

Mays added that he hopes Gene and Alex kiss in the finale, saying: "If they snog, and I can't say for sure, at least the fans will forgive me."

Mays also claimed that Ashes To Ashes fans will be satisfied with the final edition of the show.

"I only saw the last episode two days ago and it was so emotional to watch," he said. "I shed a tear."

The finale of Ashes To Ashes airs tonight at 9pm on BBC One.

Chloe O'brien
21-05-2010, 12:49
I think that the old photograph that Gene had in the tin is maybe his dad and it's his ghost trying to warn Alex about Keats.

moonstorm
21-05-2010, 22:14
Still sobbing, loved the ending!!

Perdita
21-05-2010, 22:48
Yes, very emotional but brilliant :)

Katy
22-05-2010, 11:13
I thought it was very very good, really well done. Really emotional.

Some brilliant Gene Lines as well! the bit were he said to alex you did look good when you first game here, and she replied i was dressed like a prostitute! and he siad yeah exactly!

Dazzle
22-05-2010, 17:58
Really enjoyed the finale of Ashes to Ashes, and I thought all the ends were tied up well too.

The spoiler icon isn't coming up for me so I won't say any more.

Perdita
22-05-2010, 20:34
Matthew Graham has revealed that he initially wanted John Simm to return for last night's Ashes To Ashes finale.

Graham, who co-created the sci-fi drama with Ashley Pharoah, admitted that Simm's Life On Mars alter ego DI Sam Tyler was originally meant to come out of the Railway Arms instead of Nelson to greet the Ashes faithful.

He told The Guardian: "There was originally a version where John came back. It was never scripted but it was storylined. Everyone seemed to really like it. We were all quite happy and excited about it."

However, he admitted that such a move would have insulted the identity of the standalone '80s spinoff as well as the show's star Keeley Hawes, who played DI Alex Drake.

Graham explained: "Then we suddenly thought that it would steal all of Keeley's thunder, it would undermine Ashes as a show and also Sam's supposed to be dead, so he should be in heaven.

"It suddenly made him seem like a superhero - he could go from purgatory to heaven and back again. So we decided not to do that. We never asked him."

Perdita
22-05-2010, 20:34
Ashes To Ashes co-creator Matthew Graham has admitted that he has never understood the appeal of DCI Gene Hunt.

Philip Glenister, who played the maverick officer in the franchise, has enjoyed much attention from female fans.

Graham told The Guardian: "I'm still amazed that girls find it romantic, this big hulking bloke in a dated suit, that there could be anything even closely resembling a sex symbol. I find that baffling. It's great but I just don't understand it."

He also ruled out any further television or film appearances from Hunt, unless "Hollywood came calling".

Gene :wub:

Perdita
22-05-2010, 20:35
Ashes To Ashes co-creator Matthew Graham has described last night's final episode.

Graham, who penned the last story, discussed the world where DI Alex Drake found herself in the show's first series.

He told The Guardian: "She finds herself between heaven and earth. When we discussed the philosophy behind it we decided that, seeing as how the cosmos was infinite, everybody who dies can afford to go to some kind of purgatory plane that is relevant and significant to them.

"So we liked the idea that coppers with issues would go to a place designed for coppers. And a coppers' paradise surely has to be The Sweeney, or The French Connection if you're an American."

Graham continued: "That's the place where you've got all the freedoms and, therefore, all the chances to make all the big mistakes that could lead you to hell. But all the good decisions would lead you to heaven."

Katy
22-05-2010, 23:22
he doesnt understand Gene Hunt! thats clearly because hes male!

Hes Gorgeous in a very strange way!

Chloe O'brien
22-05-2010, 23:23
So they were all dead all along living in purgatory. When we saw Ray's death it all fitted into place. Poor Alex all she wanted was to go home to her daughter. We need more Gene Hunt as we have aonther lost soul enter purgatory at the end and we need to know how Gene died and why he can't enter heaven yet. Heaven is a pub nice thought don't you think :D

Katy
22-05-2010, 23:27
I agree Lovely thought about the pub! very fitting.

I loved when he said sam had to leave to go to the pub and Alex said why? and Genes response typically was thats a question that never needs asking after the word pub! think im going to have to dig out my life on mars boxsets, im issing Gene already!

JustJodi
23-05-2010, 01:14
wow... reminded me of the movie WHAT DREAMS MAY COME...so they were all caught in a limbo in purgatory,, wow,, it was awesome,, ahhhhhhhhhhh they did not disapoint,, Gene and Alex did finally share a snog :-D What a terrific ending,, the pub was the "light" they needed to go to, I am so glad Ray and Chris made a decison to help Gene one last time as a team ..I will miss GENE HUNT and his terrific "one liners"