PDA

View Full Version : STV drops more ITV network dramas

Luna
21-08-2009, 20:32
Scottish broadcaster STV has confirmed that it is dropping more ITV dramas from its schedule.

STV will not be showing Wuthering Heights, The Fixer, Doc Martin, Blue Murder or Agatha Christie's Marple.

It has already said it will not show other ITV dramas such as The Bill, Midsomer Murders, Kingdom and Al Murray's Happy Hour.

STV said its programming strategy involved taking greater control of its own schedule.

ITVplc owns all the former regional stations in England, the Borders and Wales and pays the vast bulk of the cost of network programmes.

We are creating a diverse schedule of wide appeal for our viewers, which includes home-grown programming, quality acquired series and network programming

STV spokeswoman
However STV in most of Scotland and UTV in Northern Ireland remain independent companies with control over their schedule.

Since the current management team took over STV two years ago, the company has been striving to separate its destiny from that of ITVplc.

STV does not need to pay ITV for programmes it does not show and there is also a long-running disagreement between ITVplc and STV and UTV over the cost of the network schedule.

ITVplc claims that it is subsidising them. STV and UTV deny this.

'Quality productions'

Commenting on the latest decision to drop ITV programmes from its schedule, a spokeswoman for STV said: "We are proud to be part of the Channel 3 network and equally we are committed to investing in new, high quality Scottish productions.

"We are creating a diverse schedule of wide appeal for our viewers, which includes home-grown programming, quality acquired series and network programming."

The spokeswoman described the move as a "long-term strategy", adding: "We have been investing in and developing high quality productions since the start of the year and they are now starting to hit TV screens in strong, high profile time slots.

"So far we've seen some great results. We'll be rolling out more of our Scottish productions and acquired series we believe will appeal to our viewers into 2010."

Chloe O'brien
22-08-2009, 00:41
:angry: :angry: Who they trying to kid about getting good results, since they dropped The Bill they have been showing a load of tripe and now I will have to watch wuthering heights on itv iplayer. sort it out stv I want to see some quality dramas.

Luna
22-08-2009, 00:58
As much as i love him there is only so much of john michie i can take.

Really not happy about all of them but most of all Al Murray...come on did they have to???

Chloe O'brien
22-08-2009, 01:04
Taggart will probably get axed soon to make wayig for some old classic Weir's Way where we can sit and enjoy watching 150 year old man who's been dead for 20 years climbing the Scottish munro's. And why do you want to watch Al Murray when you can laugh at Mrs Mack in Take The High Road.

Luna
22-08-2009, 01:16
Taggart will probably get axed soon to make wayig for some old classic Weir's Way where we can sit and enjoy watching 150 year old man who's been dead for 20 years climbing the Scottish munro's. And why do you want to watch Al Murray when you can laugh at Mrs Mack in Take The High Road.

Mrs Mack was bad enough the first time round i always prefered wee Effie and Davie Sneddon lol

Anyone would think that STV were going bust the way they keep cutting things. If it keeps going like this i give the channel a year tops

Bryan
22-08-2009, 14:32
Take The High Road, I remember when they used to show that on English ITV! :D

GossipGirl
22-08-2009, 14:46
What was Take the High Road?

Bryan
22-08-2009, 14:48
What was Take the High Road?

some proper tacky Scottish made soap that was aired in the middle of the day. it was so rubbish but i remember I always used to watch it as a kid when my nan babysat me :D :lol: haha i just you tubed the theme tune, it brings me right back to my childhood hahaha :p

GossipGirl
22-08-2009, 15:01
Oh right.........

alan45
22-08-2009, 15:17
you can laugh at Mrs Mack in Take The High Road.

And of course it made everyone want to visit the village of Luss where it was filmed

parkerman
22-08-2009, 15:19
It's about time stv brought back Dr. Finlay's Casebook as well.

Chloe O'brien
23-08-2009, 02:14
I'm just waiting on them brining back the worlds best advert for Pea & Ham Soup. with the two crofters walking in the fields.

1st crofter: On your own tonight Hamish?

2ns crofter: Aye Morag has gone to Inverness to a Hen Night.

1st crofter: All that way just to pick up a chicken? That's devotion for ye.

Pea & Ham soup fill of chicken now that's clever

Luna
23-08-2009, 02:52
I'm just waiting on them brining back the worlds best advert for Pea & Ham Soup. with the two crofters walking in the fields.

1st crofter: On your own tonight Hamish?

2ns crofter: Aye Morag has gone to Inverness to a Hen Night.

1st crofter: All that way just to pick up a chicken? That's devotion for ye.

Pea & Ham soup fill of chicken now that's clever

omg i havent heard that in ages!!!

Siobhan
28-08-2009, 13:51
Take The High Road, I remember when they used to show that on English ITV! :D

now there is a blast from the past.. my mum watched this all the time and Sons and Daughters (which I believe was shown more on STV than UK TV)...