PDA

View Full Version : BMW quits Formula 1

Perdita
29-07-2009, 14:12
BMW will withdraw from Formula 1 at the end of this season.

The German car manufacturer, who took over Sauber in 2005, have cited "current developments in motor sport" as the reason for their decision.

BMW are the second major manufacturer to leave the sport in eight months after Honda's withdrawal in December.

BMW had given themselves three years to win the world championship and won their first race in 2008 but have amassed only eight points this season.

Following their decision to withdraw from Formula 1, BMW will now focus on the touring car series, Formula BMW and the American Le Mans series.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8173865.stm

And another one bites the dust :(

Siobhan
29-07-2009, 14:46
you can't blame them.. they are putting in a lot of money and not getting the benefits.. over the past weeks both Ferrari and Mclaren have made massive improvement on the cars and they are getting results now.. BMW only have 8 points so far this season.

3 other new team are suppose to be joining next year.. it is not the end of the sport.. and I for one will still be watching

(go Vettel and Button)

Chloe O'brien
29-07-2009, 23:20
Shumacher is on his way back :cheer: :cheer:

Michael Schumacher will make a shock return to Formula 1 to replace injured Ferrari driver Felipe Massa. The seven-time world champion retired at the end of 2006 but will drive at the European Grand Prix on 23 August.
Ferrari said the 40-year-old will stand in for as long as Massa is sidelined by the serious head injuries he sustained in the Hungarian Grand Prix last week.
"For team loyalty reasons I can't ignore this unfortunate situation," said the former Ferrari driver.
His spokesman Sabine Kehm had told the BBC on Tuesday that although Schumacher - who was working as an advisor for Ferrari - was not willing to make a full-time return to F1, he would not rule out standing in for Massa.
And the German racing legend has now decided to come out of retirement and make a sensational return to the sport.
"It is true that the Formula 1 chapter has long been closed for me," said Schumacher, who won five world titles for Ferrari.
"The most important thing first: thank God, all news concerning Felipe is positive, and I wish him all the best again.
"This afternoon I met with team principal Stefano Domenicali and Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo and together we decided that I will prepare myself to take the place of Felipe.
"As the competitor I am, I also very much look forward to facing this challenge."

Schumacher has not driven an F1 car since April 2008 and competed in the last of his 249 grands prix in October 2006.
And the most successful F1 driver of all time now has slightly more than three weeks to prepare himself for the European Grand Prix in Valencia.
The ban on in-season testing means Schumacher will not be able to turn a wheel of the 2009 specification Ferrari before first practice on Friday 21 August.
Nevertheless, the team have chosen Schumacher - who won 91 grands prix in a glittering career - ahead of reserve drivers Marc Gene and Luca Badoer.
"Ferrari intends to entrust Michael Schumacher with Felipe Massa's car for as long as the Brazilian driver is not able to race," read a team statement.
"Michael Schumacher has shown his willingness and in the next few days he will undergo a specific programme of preparation at the end of which it will be possible to confirm his participation in the championship starting with the European Grand Prix."
There are six more races to go after Valencia, including trips to Belgium, Italy, Singapore and Japan.
Schumacher will undergo an intensive training programme to determine whether he is fit enough to return to the rigours of F1 racing.
Since retiring from the sport, Schumacher has occasionally taken part in motorcycle events but in February he suffered neck and back injuries in a bike accident.

Those injuries could affect his ability to drive an F1 car which places huge pressures on the neck because of the varying G-forces.
Massa could be out for the rest of the season after undergoing surgery on a fractured skull sustained when a spring from Rubens Barrichello's Brawn hit him on the helmet when he was travelling at more than 160mph during qualifying in Hungary on Saturday.
The Brazilian is set to leave intensive care and is making progress, though there is also concern about damage to his left eye.
Schumacher is close to Massa, who was his team-mate in his final season, and has taken a close interest in the Brazilian's career.
BBC Radio 5 Live F1 commentator David Croft believes Schumacher is coming back partly because of that close relationship.
"I think he's coming back because it is to replace Felipe Massa, temporarily. He is very close to Felipe, they've had a great relationship over the years," said Croft.

"I think it's his way of doing something to help Felipe, and doing something to help Ferrari at the same time, because if you look at the alternatives Ferrari had, they weren't really alternatives.

"Who else is there who could come into Ferrari and hit the ground running, who knows the car, who knows the team, who could give them a podium?
"The European Grand Prix, which was not one we were looking forward to at the start of this year, has now got a real spice to it.
"Lewis Hamilton against Michael Schumacher for the first time ever? Jenson Button up against Michael Schumacher? How will Kimi Raikkonen respond? It's going to be fascinating."

Siobhan
30-07-2009, 09:54
I am looking forward to this :cheer:

All those guys who did race against him are now in competitive cars like Button and Webber and those who haven't race against him like Rosberg, Vettel and Hamilton have to be on a high as they get to race and compete with a World champion!! Valentia is going to be a stunning race this season.. never driven by Schumacher and now he has some competition on this track.. I can't wait til end of August....

Chloe O'brien
30-07-2009, 23:23
This up is so strange because last week in work myself and the motor vehicle assessors were clearing the workroom or rubbish and we took shelving down from the wall beside my desk and are now left with a blank wall. We agreed we need some pictures to brighten up the place. Good idea I said while I'm on holiday I will buy some posters of Schumi that way we can have cars and men so there is no discrimiantion. I was then told "You're no hanging any posters of that big German fooker in this room" I said it's my wall so I can hang what I want, so now I'll will have to go and buy one and make a banner saying "The King is Back" just to annoy them. :rotfl:

Siobhan
31-07-2009, 09:56
I like it!!! Can't have to much Schumacher in any place...

Meh
31-07-2009, 10:09
Might have to watch F1 just for Schumacher.

I prefer MotoGP over F1 these days. There was a rumour about Rossi driving for Ferrari a few seasons ago, but Rossi lost the MotoGP championship that year and went back to make (another) point. He may well be lined up in the future

Siobhan
31-07-2009, 10:11

I prefer MotoGP over F1 these days. There was a rumour about Rossi driving for Ferrari a few seasons ago, but Rossi lost the MotoGP championship that year and went back to make (another) point. He may well be lined up in the future

I like Rossi but can he drive F1?? I know Schumacher is now on the bikes.. so maybe Rossi can be good in F1

Meh
31-07-2009, 10:14

I like Rossi but can he drive F1?? I know Schumacher is now on the bikes.. so maybe Rossi can be good in F1

Yeah, they tried him out. Apparently he is supposed to be world class - natural ability and all that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/feb/03/formulaone.sport

Siobhan
31-07-2009, 10:27
but isn't Alonso suppose to be the next Ferrari driver? Kimi wants to do moto-cross

Siobhan
12-08-2009, 15:49
Schumacher is not coming back :crying::crying::crying:

Chloe O'brien
13-08-2009, 00:39
Schumacher is not coming back :crying::crying::crying:

I know I was gutted yesterday when I heard he had to pull out. Now we will never get the chance to see him kick Hamilton's ass.