PDA

View Full Version : Maria Connor Sutherland (Samia Smith)

Pages : [1] 2 3

tammyy2j
08-08-2005, 13:01
I've heard rumours of Maria cheating on Tyrone i think with that Nathan bloke but i also heard that Kelly sleeps with him.

Anyone hear anything about this?

Trinity
08-08-2005, 13:05
Is there anyone she wouldn't cheat with?

Chris_2k11
08-08-2005, 20:06
Maria's such a s**g!

Johnny Allen
10-08-2005, 20:34
You can't really blame her Tyronne is a doughnut

CrazyLea
10-08-2005, 21:34
nathans a bit of a man s**g aint he. and i like tyrone he's funny

Johnny Allen
10-08-2005, 22:38
Yeah but Nathan is fit

Charmed
10-08-2005, 22:57
I think Tyrone's really funny.But I really don't like Maria,she's so anoying

Luna
11-08-2005, 09:25
oh i hope she doesn't cheat poor tyrone

chance
11-08-2005, 11:44
dont know if she actualy goes through with it but her and nathan are in the garage flirting and he goes to kiss her,think shes just about to respond when tyrone walks in

i_luv_dennis
14-08-2005, 08:53
i hope she dont tyrone really loves her

littlemo
15-08-2005, 18:02
I think Maria is attracted to Nathan. But her flirting with him, was really to do with Tyrone flirting with Fiz, or so she made it out to be. I'm not sure that she is completely happy with Tyrone, and I don't think it's fair for her to string him along if she isn't. I think Tyrone is great, but I think Maria feels that she is settling for second best.

I don't think it's fair to call Maria a slag, she's young and confused. It can be difficult to chose from a world that's safe, and one which is full of adventure. Both Tyrone and Nathan have different qualities, it's up to her what kind of life she choses.

kirsty_g
22-08-2005, 08:52
I think Tyrone's really funny.But I really don't like Maria,she's so anoying

i agree

luna_lovegood
29-08-2005, 01:46
I don't reckon they will make her cheat on him again, I always thought they were one of those couples that the audience really want to stay together.

emma_strange
29-08-2005, 08:49
You can't really blame her Tyronne is a doughnut

aww but hes sweet

luna_lovegood
29-08-2005, 12:17
Tyrone is a sweety! If they make Maria cheat on him again I think she will end up being really hated by the public.

eastenders mad
29-08-2005, 13:27
yeah she will defineley and people in corrie

Georgie
29-08-2005, 15:18
yeah she does cheat i read it some where might of been the news of the world though

luna_lovegood
29-08-2005, 22:33
no! I don't want them to repeat the cheating storyline again! She already did the dirty on him a few years ago.

alan45
29-08-2005, 23:25
Once a tart always a tart

i_luv_dennis
31-08-2005, 08:44
yeah poor toyrone (cant spell it lol) he as been through enough with maria

kirsty_g
31-08-2005, 17:40
he as lol i feel sorry for him aswell

RealityGap
01-09-2005, 16:20
I never know why Maria stays with Tyrone - if she aint happy move on girl!!

kayla05
01-09-2005, 23:42
Maria has changed so much since she first started in corrie, her and tyrone were the perfect couple but i dont know about now, i dont trust her!

gbnut
03-09-2005, 21:01
she is such a trollope and tyrone is such a genuiene guy. although at times he can be a bit of a door mat. He needs to be more asssertive.

alan45
03-09-2005, 21:12
Tyrone should be with Fizz

CrazyLea
03-09-2005, 21:17
nah cause fizz and kirk are like the best couple ever :p

feelingyellow
15-09-2005, 16:19
so is this the 86th or 87th time maria had cheated?

dddMac1
16-09-2005, 15:42
i thought Maria and Tyrone made a good couple but now i'm not so sure

Trinity
16-09-2005, 15:49
they DID, but they have grown apart and they are not suited now.

Andy'sLuckyPony
17-09-2005, 13:47
Who's Kelly...I forget...hmm...does she work at the factory? Maria will always cheat. It's in her genes.

Debs
18-09-2005, 13:43
Coronation Street's Samia Ghadie and new husband Matthew Smith have been enjoying a romantic honeymoon in Mauritius.

The pair, who tied the knot last weekend, have been staying at the One & Only resort on the east coast of the island. They are staying in a £800-per-night suite which offers a 24-hour butler service.

"Matt and Samia were giggling as they signed in as Mr and Mrs Smith," one guest told the Sunday Mirror.

"They have only left their room a handful of times. It's not surprising though. It's a perfect place for romance and staying behind closed doors is to be expected from a honeymoon couple."

Samia, better known as Maria Sutherland on the ITV1 soap, and Matthew first met at a charity ball three years ago.

Luna
19-09-2005, 09:22
aaawww thats sweet

Jade
19-09-2005, 09:32
lucky them!

Debs
20-09-2005, 14:08
oh i wish i was her!!!

gbnut
26-09-2005, 21:27
they DID, but they have grown apart and they are not suited now.

i agree they are not suited now as maria is a slut and out for what she can get.

feelingyellow
27-09-2005, 15:53
i agree they are not suited now as maria is a slut and out for what she can get.

well said

Debs
27-09-2005, 17:02

:cartman: you dont mince your words do you!!!!

Mr_Cellophane
07-10-2005, 14:18
Is there anyone she wouldn't cheat with?
Unfortunately me. :wub:

Debs
03-01-2006, 17:15
Actress Samia Smith is set to quit 'Coronation Street' to start a family.

The stunning brunette - who plays sexy hairdresser Maria in the hit soap - has reportedly decided she wants to focus on having a baby with husband, property developer Matt Smith, and is ready to turn her back on the show after five years.

Samia, who tied the knot with Smith in September last year, is said to have told programme bosses she won't be signing another contract when her current deal runs out in November.

A 'Street' insider revealed: "This is devastating news for ITV, but many of the cast will have seen this coming.

"Samia has settled into family life and her priorities have changed."

A friend of the 23-year-old beauty has further fuelled the rumours, telling Britain's Daily Star newspaper: "She has never attempted to hide the fact she wants children - lots of them."

'Coronation Street' bosses are believed to have been left reeling by Samia's decision - which comes just months after soap beauty Nikki Sanderson quit the show.

Chris_2k11
03-01-2006, 17:21
:cheer: Bye Bye Miss Slapper! :cheer:

lollymay
03-01-2006, 17:28
:cheer: Bye Bye Miss Slapper! :cheer:

lol :rotfl: :rotfl:

Bryan
03-01-2006, 17:28
good riddance to bad rubbish!

CrazyLea
03-01-2006, 17:52
aw well shes boring i wont miss her

lollymay
03-01-2006, 17:53
i cant remember her having any good storylines

alan45
03-01-2006, 17:57
Tyrone will be better off without the Hairdressing Hooker

Bryan
03-01-2006, 18:12
Tyrone will be better off without the Hairdressing Hooker

i was hoping tyrone would bugger off with her!

samantha nixon
03-01-2006, 18:22

so was i but i liked maria but not tyrone

xxloopylauraxx
03-01-2006, 19:13
thanks god for that! her voice does my head in and shes always whinging at tyrone and shes so ungreatful!!!! lol

alan45
03-01-2006, 19:19

Awww dont be so harsh. Tyrones a likeable character :)

alan45
03-01-2006, 19:30
Maria is not going SEE HERE (http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/entertainment/filmandtv/tv/s/197/197410_samia_slams_corrie_exit_rumours.html)

Debs
03-01-2006, 19:45
oh well there was hope!!!

feelingyellow
03-01-2006, 19:57
GRRRR! i saw this thread and thought happiness had come at last! and the that comes GRRRRRR! I WANT HER TO GO - tyrone's ok though - she's just the most horrible selfish little cow i've ever not met, lol

Perdita
15-10-2008, 07:05
CORONATION Street star Samia Smith says she is in no rush to join the baby boom on the soap.

So far Alison King (Carla Conner), Jane Danson (Leanne Battersby), and Wanda Opalinska (Vicki) are pregnant.

Jack P Shepherd (David Platt), Ryan Thomas (Jason Grimshaw) and Andy Whyment (Kirk Sutherland) are all fathers-to-be.

But 26-year-old Samia — who plays Maria Sutherland on the ITV1 soap — has insisted she is just enjoying being happily married and has no plans to follow in her colleagues’ footsteps for the time being.

Samia said: “I think I’m going to be babysitting for all of those new arrivals before too long.

“Everyone on the show seems to be pregnant at the moment.

“I think the bosses are dreading the phone ringing these days in case it’s another one of us cast members saying we are pregnant.

“I do love babies — but I am in no rush to have them for the time being.”

Lots of babies for Corrie actors at the moment. :cheer:

Abbie
15-10-2008, 16:13
How are they gonna manage, are some gonna leave?

StarsOfCCTV
15-10-2008, 18:10
Must be something in the water at Corrie :lol:

alan45
23-10-2008, 00:21
MARIA Connor looks set to be evil Tony’s next victim — after she susses he murdered her husband.
The downtrodden Corrie crimper realises the terrible truth when she finds out Tony’s new bride Carla had a fling with her hubby Liam.

Suddenly she sees that jealous Tony (Gray O’Brien) had a motive for wanting Liam dead.

And she eventually accuses the factory boss of being behind Liam’s hit-and-run — putting her own life in danger.

The penny finally drops at Tony and Carla’s wedding.

Amid the celebrations, pregnant Maria cannot hold back her grief at the loss of her own husband.

She is found crying by Sally Webster (Sally Whittaker). Sozzled Sally has just been snapped at by Carla (Alison King) for being drunk — and when she spies Maria, realises how she can get revenge on Carla.

So she tells the weeping widow Liam had been having an affair with the bride.

She even shows Maria the mobile phone footage of the cheating pair that daughter Rosie (Helen Flanagan) took — and which Tony believed had been safely destroyed.

Sally’s drunken plan works — and Maria, played by Samia Smith, 26, screams at Carla, ruining her big day.

But later when the chaos dies down, Maria realises Tony knew of the affair — and had a motive for wanting Carla’s secret love dead.

She also realises that as the death took place at Tony’s own stag do, he had every opportunity to plan a hit and run. She ransacks his office looking for clues and tells everyone her fears.

An insider at the ITV1 soap said: “Sadly her friends think grief-stricken Maria is losing the plot.

“They even arrange for a psychiatric doctor to visit her. Maria then puts her own life in mortal danger when she phones Tony and tells him, ‘You killed Liam and I’ll prove it. And don’t think I’m going to go away — because I’ll never stop till I see you rotting in prison’.

“Viewers will be on the edge of their seats willing her to succeed but scared Tony will silence her first.”

Chris_2k11
23-10-2008, 00:26
Corrie is back on form!! :cheer: :thumbsup:

lizann
23-10-2008, 10:40
So they get married :thumbsdow

I hoped Tony would have killed Carla or dumped her

So hows Maria find out about the affair??????

Bryan
23-10-2008, 11:05
let's hope he does kill her off, can't stand her character tbh!

i didn't think him and Carla were going to get married! How can so go along and marry a man who she doesn't love?

alan45
23-10-2008, 14:36
let's hope he does kill her off, can't stand her character tbh!

i didn't think him and Carla were going to get married! How can so go along and marry a man who she doesn't love?

You must have led a sheltered life Bry. People dont always marry for love. Ask the former Mrs McCartney. She did alright out of it.

parkerman
23-10-2008, 17:18
So hows Maria find out about the affair??????
Try reading alan's post again.

Abbie
23-10-2008, 22:31
Nooo! they cant kill Maria

Chris_2k11
24-10-2008, 18:01
Nooo! they cant kill MariaOh they can :lol:

Abbie
24-10-2008, 19:22
No they cant! :p

samantha nixon
27-10-2008, 17:28
Id love for him to kill maria of, but I dont think it will happen :(
I cant wait for these eps to be shown, as there wedding looks like its gonna be really good

*-Rooney-*
27-10-2008, 18:59
oh i cant wait, so will this be the xmas story - is this coming soon

samantha nixon
27-10-2008, 19:38
well the wedding is the 3rd november (im sure thats what is said in the paper) so its gonna all start next week

tammyy2j
28-10-2008, 16:07
Tony Gordon finally gets his woman when he marries Carla Connor.

But the big day explodes when Maria Connor screams at the bride: “You’ve been screwing my husband.”

The scenes were filmed last week at a hotel near Manchester and will be screened on December 3.

Oblivious to Tony being behind the killing of her lover Liam, Carla will swear her wedding day vows to Tony.

But the big day is also the occasion that Liam’s widow Maria finds out about her husband’s affair with Carla, courtesy of a drunk Sally Webster.

The consequences prove to be enormous for everyone involved. Maria sets off to find Carla and confront her but she’s too late.

When she gets to the front of the hotel where the other guests are gathered, Carla and Tony’s wedding car is just
disappearing from view as they leave for their honeymoon to a secret destination.

To the amazement of the other guests, a hysterical Maria screams after the car: “Come back you filthy bitch. You’ve been screwing my husband.”

A Coronation Street insider said: “Things start to go downhill from there.”

Source Daily Star

i cant wait :thumbsup:

lizann
18-11-2008, 15:53
Widow Maria Connor could be spending Christmas in jail after police nick her for attacking Tony Gordon.

The devastated brunette lashes out at her husband’s killer after visiting his grave and finding flowers from Tony.

Maria (Samia Smith, 25) is sure the Underworld boss was responsible for Liam’s death.

So she storms round to his house for a fiery confrontation and ends up battering the shocked businessman.

Maria screams: “I’ll never rest till you pay for what you did to Liam.” But far from being scared, he warns her that there is plenty of space in the graveyard for her, too.

To show she is not scared, frantic Maria then scrawls “MURDERER” on the knicker factory wall in red paint before throwing what is left of the can over Tony’s car.

The police are called and an out-of-control Maria admits to everything, shouting: “I did it. It was me.

“I did it because no-one believes that Tony Gordon killed Liam and now he’s going to kill me.”

But the police are not impressed and arrest her on suspicion of criminal damage.

Abbie
18-11-2008, 17:55
:eek: well I cant wait

LostVoodoo
18-11-2008, 20:57
good on you Maria!

lizann
24-11-2008, 10:24
Maria Connor finally learns of her dead husband Liam’s affair after seeing evidence on a mobile phone.

The pregnant babe is distraught as she watches footage of him kissing his former sister-in-law Carla.

The drama unfolds at Carla’s wedding reception after she ties the knot with Liam’s killer, Tony Gordon.

As the champagne flows Sally Webster is fuming when the bride makes a catty remark about her husband Kevin.

So when she spots Maria leaving the bash she follows.

The pair have a heart-to-heart and Maria breaks down over Liam’s death.

She tells Sally she can’t cope without him. But tipsy Sal spills the beans about his affair.

And when Maria refuses to believe what she’s hearing Sally grabs daughter Rosie’s phone to show her the mobile video, prompting Maria to run back inside to confront Carla.

A Corrie insider said: “She runs through the hotel searching for Carla.

“But the reception is coming to an end and the happy couple are about to leave for their honeymoon.

“Fans will have to wait and see whether she manages to get to them first. As you can imagine Maria is beside herself.

“She always suspected something was going on but to have it confirmed like this is more than she can take.

“It’ll be a hell of a showdown if she gets to Carla before she flies off on honeymoon.”

December 3 is the day to catch the action in a one-hour special on ITV1.

crystalsea
24-11-2008, 10:49
I am a bit confused :searchme: I thought Tony threw the phone in the canal before Rosie got kidnapped, how can Sally show Maria the video footage???

annette_tr9
24-11-2008, 12:43
rosie saved it on her computer at work, sally went in and got it didnt she?? so she could have put it on another phone

crystalsea
25-11-2008, 09:37
many thanks, that is much clearer now - less confused lol

Perdita
13-12-2008, 06:50
Tony has murder in mind once again when Maria accuses him of killing Liam. But will he go through with his evil plan to silence the grieving widow for good?

“He completely panics when he realises Maria knows,” reveals Gray O’Brien, who plays Tony.

After listening to phone messages from Maria telling him she knows all about Carla and Liam’s affair – and his threats to Rosie to keep quiet about it – Tony is worried the game could be up.

Panicked, he calls round to see Maria and at first tries to play down the affair. But then he changes tack and admits it was going on for months – and that they are the real victims.

“He gets emotional talking to Maria as Liam’s death comes flooding back to him,” explains Gray.

Maria takes his hand and places it on her baby bump, demanding he swear he’s not guilty. But he pulls his hand away – and that’s all the confession Maria needs.

“Tony hasn’t got the strength to deny it ,” admits Gray. “He knows Maria knows the truth.”

Then, he tries to bribe her with a million pounds to keep her mouth shut – but Maria grows hysterical.

“At that moment, he’s petrified,” says Gray.

His temper flaring, Tony spies one of Liam’s belts and waits for his moment to attack. But could he really strangle Maria?

“All he’s thinking,“ says Gray, “is – ‘If only I could silence the one person who knows. Then everything will be fine.’”

sindydoll
13-12-2008, 18:43
sounds exciting! i'd take the million then grass him up:lol:

parkerman
13-12-2008, 18:48
The last I heard Tony was broke. Where did he get a million from?:confused:

Bryan
13-12-2008, 18:52
i wish he would kill off maria, she is seriously annoyign me with this "you killed liam" rubbish. Yes we know he did, but you'll never prove it, so shut up and move on before i change the bloody channel!

Perdita
13-12-2008, 19:15
But how else would Tony be found out? Surely you want justice to prevail and Tony Gordon spending time at Her Majesty's Pleasure for what he did? Unless Maria Marple gets and stays on the case, he would get away with murder.

Bryan
13-12-2008, 20:56
the storyline is boring me to tears. maria is a sap, and i can't stand her character. booo!

Perdita
13-12-2008, 21:02
I like the storyline, the acting ability leaves a bit to be desired and I wish that Maria and Rosie would not have those irritating voices, shrieking their way through their scripts. I know they can't help it but it just frustrates me to say the least :angry:

Abbie
14-12-2008, 12:46
Im loving it, I mean of course they think shes mad the way she is, but ite great and it will be good when it all comes out in the end

I mean you seriously cant just leave it how it was, it would be boring if they had

*-Rooney-*
14-12-2008, 15:44
i think samia is doing a great job at acting the mad hysterical raving widow at the moment,

tammyy2j
09-01-2009, 15:07
GRIEVING Maria Connor calls a truce with her husband’s killer after discovering he is on the brink of a breakdown.

Maria, who has been hell-bent on nailing Tony Gordon for arranging Liam’s death, is stunned to discover he has plunged into depression.

Tony – played by Gray O’Brien, 40 – hits the bottle when wife Carla (Alison King, 35) leaves him after becoming suspicious about his involvement in Liam’s death.

In scenes to be screened next month Maria (Samia Smith, 25) turns up at the grave on the day she and Liam would have celebrated their first wedding anniversary.

As she changes the flowers and gently places a picture from the latest scan of their unborn baby onto the grave, she lovingly whispers to Liam: “Happy wedding anniversary darling.”

But then she becomes freaked out when Tony appears behind her in a drunken and dishevelled state.

He is genuinely apologetic that he has disturbed Maria at the grave and tells her: “I’m really sorry Maria. I thought you’d have been and gone by now. I just wanted to pay my respects.

“I am so sorry Maria‚ for all of us. You two should be having a candlelit dinner celebrating 12 great months together.

“As God is my witness Maria, I really wish Liam was alive and kicking and your baby had a father.

“I wish that Carla had loved me instead of loving Liam. I’d have even settled for being third best.”

Maria can see Tony is sincere and as they stand together by Liam’s grave she says: “I can picture him in there you know.

“His perfect little face, his hands folded across his chest, that gorgeous kink in his hair and that cute little mole on his back.”

Tony offers to look after Maria and her baby financially, even though she knows he paid for Liam to be killed in a hit-and-run.

A soap insider said: “The thawing of the relationship between Maria and Tony will be another intriguing twist in the continuing saga of justice for Liam.

“Tony’s feelings of guilt and remorse will also get worse as it fully sinks in just how much hurt and heartache he’s caused by having Liam killed.”

Abbie
09-01-2009, 17:43
wow never really saw that coming

LoobyLou84
14-01-2009, 12:28
wow never really saw that coming

Me neither!!

I do find it a little hard to believe to be honest, as if Maria knows Tony paid to have Liam killed, why would she suddenly take pity on him just cos he regrets it?
Seems to contradict her actions of late?

Perdita
14-01-2009, 12:33
I think she suspects he paid somebody to kill Liam, she can't know as she has no evidence so far, has she?

LoobyLou84
14-01-2009, 12:46
Tony offers to look after Maria and her baby financially, even though she knows he paid for Liam to be killed in a hit-and-run.

:searchme: No idea personally, just going by what it says in this spolier ^^^

02ablake
14-01-2009, 19:13
loving the maria storyline at the minute, shes really come into her own. cant wait till she has the baby, hopefully a girl

Abbie
15-01-2009, 16:56
We'll have to see how its acted but Im still struggling to see how this will work

parkerman
15-01-2009, 18:44
I think she suspects he paid somebody to kill Liam, she can't know as she has no evidence so far, has she?
Didn't he tell her he did and then offer her a million pounds?

Abbie
15-01-2009, 21:47
Didn't he tell her he did and then offer her a million pounds?

Yep he did

Perdita
16-01-2009, 06:26
But she can't prove it, all her claims so far have made people believe she is going mental. Unless Tony confesses because of his guilty conscience, he will always say that she is making it up.

walsh2509
11-02-2009, 20:03
Maria , I don't get her. She' sure Tony was behind Liam's death, she sees Carla bolting from Tony. The way she has been going on, the first thing that should have crossed her mind when she seen Carla doing a runner, was, has Carla finally found out that Tony is the evil B's that she's been telling everyone for months.

No, see she's Carla fleeing and now its poor Tony :searchme: If anything, that should have confirmed what she has been shouting from the roof tops all this time. And should be going round asking all WHY DID CARLA FLEE from Tony!

alan45
11-02-2009, 20:32
Excuse me but why have you posted this as a spoiler:searchme:

02ablake
11-02-2009, 21:45
She went straight round to tony and asked why carla left, he told its cause shes still in love with liam always has been, why would maria think hes lying, she saw the kiss on rosie phone.

i actually liked maria and tony scenes tonight!

CrazyLea
11-02-2009, 23:12
I'm a hypocrit as such.. cos I agree with Walsh. Yet I like the idea of Tony and Maria.. I'm one of those weird people who love weird pairings. I'm looking forward to Corrie.. and I am lately have not looked forward to it.

Chris_2k11
11-02-2009, 23:12
Excuse me but why have you posted this as a spoiler:searchme:incase it ends up including spoilers?

Perdita
10-03-2009, 05:59
SAMIA Smith, 26, who plays Maria in Corrie, said a psychic has told her she’ll be as famous as Catherine Zeta Jones.
The fortune teller said the good luck would happen within the next decade — and see her living in Hollywood.

Lets hope she gets the invite to move to Hollywood real soon so her eternally whining character leaves Corrie

02ablake
10-03-2009, 08:02
nooo, i like maria/samia and her character hasn't been whiney since liam died and besides after all shes been through she has the right to whine, i know i would would whine and then some lol

cant wait till she has the baby - hope she has little girl.lol

Chris_2k11
12-03-2009, 20:18
Always knew these psychics talked crap :rotfl:

Perdita
13-04-2009, 07:32
Coronation Street star Samia Smith has admitted that she feels "drained" following her recent depressing plotlines.

The actress's alter-ego Maria Connor gave birth to a lifeless baby boy after six months of pregnancy in early 2008. Later in the year, she faced further heartbreak when her husband Liam (Rob James-Collier) was killed.

Speaking to the Sunday Mirror, Smith revealed: "It's been a good 18 months of solid misery. It's quite draining really, having to think really depressing thoughts for 12 hours a day, all week.

"I can't muck about in the green room like I used to, I don't have the energy to. I've found that it's better to just sit in my dressing room and read a book and be quiet for a while. I've become a bit of a hermit."

Discussing the impact on her social life, she added: "I'm doing this all the time, and at weekends I'm really tired. Luckily I've got good friends, who understand. I have to try to smile a lot in my real life. I put lots of loud music on in the car on the way home and then pour myself a big glass of wine."

Smith has previously insisted that she was pleased to adopt a "grim" new look for the storylines.

She is not feeling as drained as I do when I watch her whining, her character is terrible

Perdita
28-07-2009, 08:21
Coronation Street's Maria Connor - played by 27-year-old Samia Smith - has had quite the year. Shortly after the discovery that she was pregnant with Liam's (Rob-James Collier) child in October, Tony Gordon (Gray O'Brien) murdered her husband in cold blood upon the discovery of his adultery with his wife Carla (Alison King). Maria learned the truth about Liam and Carla's affair on the day of Tony and Carla's wedding in December and quite rightly presumed that Tony was behind Liam's death. After months of scratching, punching, car incidents and daubing his walls (and car) with paint, an obsessive Maria finally backed off. Since that moment by Liam's grave, Tony and Maria have become closer than ever, and in a fortnight's time, they seal their relationship with a kiss. What are Samia's thoughts about one of Corrie's most bizarre and creepy relationships of recent years? We gave her a call to find out.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a167620/samia-smith-maria-connor-corrie.html

Perdita
28-07-2009, 08:27
Last week, I caught up with the lovely Samia Smith, who plays Coronation Street's new mum Maria Connor, to chat about her über-creepy relationship with Weatherfield's resident adult psycho Tony Gordon (Gray O'Brien) - David Platt (Jack P. Shepherd) being the the youngest unhinged resident.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/blog/scoop/

tammyy2j
30-09-2009, 11:01
When is she leaving?

I presume once she finds out about Tony she will flee to Liam's parents or to her own parents

Perdita
30-09-2009, 11:46
She will be leaving in November. You are probably right, she is either going to Ireland or Cyprus. Would be nice if she went to her parents for a change rather than Ireland again seeing her parents have not seen their grandson yet.

02ablake
30-09-2009, 17:26
When is she leaving?

I presume once she finds out about Tony she will flee to Liam's parents or to her own parents

if she finds out about tony that is, either way i dont think we'll find out where her destiniation is.:)

Hannelene
01-10-2009, 09:46
She will probably go and see her parents instead of Liams

Perdita
19-10-2009, 13:59
Coronation Street actress Samia Smith has given birth to a baby girl.

The 27-year-old and husband Matt welcomed their first child Freya into the world this morning. She weighed 7lbs 2oz.

A show spokesperson this afternoon said: "Samia and Matt are delighted and everyone at Coronation Street is thrilled by the latest arrival to the Corrie family."

Smith - who plays Maria Connor in the ITV soap - became the tenth Weatherfield actor to announce that they were expecting within 18 months. Others included Julia Haworth (Claire Peacock), Andrew Whyment (Kirk Sutherland), Ryan Thomas (Jason Grimshaw), Alison King (Carla Gordon), Jack P Shepherd (David Platt) and Jane Danson (Leanne Battersby).

More recently, Graeme Hawley (John Stape) and Simon Gregson (Steve McDonald) became fathers for the first and second time respectively.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/s3/coronationstreet/news/a182658/corries-samia-smith-gives-birth.html

tammyy2j
19-10-2009, 14:23
congrats to her and her husband

02ablake
19-10-2009, 16:57
AWW congrats samia and husband matt !!!

Chloe O'brien
19-10-2009, 21:56
Cogratulations to Samia and Matt. Laurel from Emmerdale had a baby girl today as well.

Hannelene
20-10-2009, 08:37
So how long is she off on maternity leave for?

Perdita
20-10-2009, 08:55
Spring 2010, so probably 6 months.

Hannelene
20-10-2009, 09:03
That's ages I can be honest and say I never took to her character at first but now she has grown on me a little.

Perdita
20-10-2009, 09:24
Still not like her much, I think it is her voice that is putting me off, she whines and whinges too much

Hannelene
20-10-2009, 09:32
She does have that whinging kind of voice and at times she acts much younger then her years

02ablake
20-10-2009, 12:10
i like maria lots, i dont think she whinges at all, i know the actress has a strong accent that makes her pronouciation of words sound funny but it doesn't bother me. I'll miss her when shes away but at least samia is spending time looking after baby freya - what a beautiful name.

Hannelene
20-10-2009, 12:20
I have never turned on and watched her scenes without her whinning about something whether it be good or bad. I don't mind the actress but it has been nice to see her finally in a proper storyline for once.

02ablake
20-10-2009, 12:35
i really like the actress samia she seems very down to earth and is also a very good actress. When she was younger she was more whingy but since liam and becoming a mother shes really flourished and so as samia - is about time they gave her somethink to get her teeth in. The stillborn was emoitonal but acted extremly well too.

Cant wait till shes back next year and when tony returns too, plus shes also got to meet the new nick that should go down well!!

Hannelene
20-10-2009, 12:38
I think the thing with Nick has died, I think Nick and Leanne have unfinished business then Nick and Maria. I think Maria could be sworn of relationships for a little while as she hasn't had much luck with men :(
(Charlie being killed,Liam dying,Nick heading off)
She is course to take Rita's title of the The Street Black widow I think :)

02ablake
20-10-2009, 16:14
i dont think ses anyway near rita. Gail takes that title i think. After tony maria will become much stronger and will keep a distance from men for a while although im sure she wont be short of offers. According to the itv website ad sun website maria and nick storyline is far from dead and i would say the same about tony too. Something tells me we'll be seing him in 2010!!

Hannelene
20-10-2009, 16:42
I can't see Maria without a man she has always been linked to one in some kind of way. She seems to be someone who has always been dependent on one.

The only way I can see Maria being linked to Tony is if she is to become pregnant by him.

02ablake
20-10-2009, 17:10
I can see maria without a man especially when she discovers the truth about tony. She become a different person and she will be strong because she has to for her son. I think when tony goes down for liams murder theres a chance he could breakout next year and if hes not in the right frame of mind he could kidnap baby liam or something but not to harm him. He see baby liam as hes son.

I am very much looking forward to seeing what the future holds for maria after this - its never a dull or drama free moment with her around but untill then I wish samia and matt all the best with Freya too!

Hannelene
20-10-2009, 17:14
I can't see him kidnapping Liam as he would not want to cause any distress or harm to a baby that he now considers to be his 'son'.

02ablake
20-10-2009, 18:06
I can't see him kidnapping Liam as he would not want to cause any distress or harm to a baby that he now considers to be his 'son'.

ah but when your not in the right frame of mind your capable of anything and he doesn't have to take the baby to harm him it might be he just wants to see him or a way for him to see maria again! The possibilties are endless!

Hannelene
20-10-2009, 18:34
I couldn't see Tony doing that as I think he has done so much to hurt Maria already doing something to her child would be the last straw.

02ablake
20-10-2009, 19:22
exactly she could flip and kill him herself!!

Hannelene
21-10-2009, 14:23
No way - at least I hope that doesn't happen

02ablake
21-10-2009, 20:04
No way - at least I hope that doesn't happen

although marias not a murderer, i would quite like to see it happen that way or a simular way. Whatever happens tony will return next year and i think maria and he will meet again.........

02ablake
21-10-2009, 20:06
Coronation Street's Gray O’Brien says Tony loves Maria like he’s never loved anyone before… and he’ll do anything not to lose her!

Helen and Barry Connor turn up for baby Liam’s christening. Doesn’t it worry Tony that they disapprove of his relationship with Maria?

"Tony knows Helen and Barry hate him and have the potential to cause problems, but he has to go along with it for Maria’s sake."

Might they affect Maria’s feelings for him?

"Maria says it’s not up to them how she lives and Barry and Helen will have to deal with their relationship. But when they start to stick their oar in it may be a different story."

Is he worried he’ll have to move out like he did last time the Connors came?

"If Maria asked him to go he’d be distraught that she might be thinking of ending things. Maria and the baby mean everything to him – and he’s so close to getting what he wants."

The word’s out that Tony proposes to Maria. At what point does he decide this?

"He and Maria had a fantastic time in Paris and he loves looking after Liam – he’s right there doing the nappies and the feeds. He sees them as his family and he wants everyone else to."

Why does he propose when they‘re at Liam’s graveside of all places?

"They’re at the grave on the anniversary of Liam’s death when Maria tells Tony she wants to look to the future. He realises he’s never felt like this about anyone before and proposes. It’s impulsive and not planned at all."

Is he confident Maria will say yes?

"Well, she does! It’s a very tender moment where they can both see how much they love each other."

Will he want to officially adopt baby Liam?

"Maria has the idea and Tony’s moved by it."

How does he feel knowing it’s been a year since he had Liam killed?

"He feels immense guilt."

Tony gets his first warning that Carla’s still out there with his secret. What happens?

"Luke gets a call from Carla’s solicitor about her shares in the factory. It seems Luke’s defaulted on his payment for Carla’s shares in the business and now his shares have defaulted back to her. When Tony finds out he’s gutted."

Did Tony think Carla was out of his life for ever… And is he scared she’ll return and cause trouble?

"He had hoped she was out of his life for ever but he was obviously wrong…"

Word is Tony will set up Jimmy to kill Carla when she does return. Would Tony really kill again?

"He’ll do whatever it takes to protect himself and his family dream and if Carla gets in the way he’ll have to get rid of her… Tony’s capable of anything when pushed."

http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/soaps/coronation-street/interviews/corries-gray-obrien-tony-proposes-to-maria/7109

02ablake
21-10-2009, 20:08
Coronation Street's Samia Smith reveals more about Tony Gordon’s graveside proposal to Maria Connor on the anniversary of Liam’s death

Is Maria surprised by Tony’s proposal?
Maria is not expecting it at all. She’s totally taken aback but she says yes immediately. I think she just sees it as not having to cope on her own anymore. Tony’s been amazing with little Liam and he will be the perfect dad to him. So she sees as a way out really.

Liam’s grave is a bit of a weird place to propose isn’t it? It’s not very romantic.
Yeah. I was really shocked when I heard it. I couldn’t believe it but I suppose it’s good for the drama.

One minute Maria hated Tony and accused him of killing Liam, the next she is marrying him. How has that been to play?
It is a challenge but it’s been really good. I’ve really enjoyed it. The past two years I have enjoyed the whole storyline building up so it is really good, and nice to be able to see it through to the end.

We're going to find out more about what Tony’s been up to in the coming weeks. Will there be plenty of fireworks?
Definitely. It’s not going to be bliss for long.

You are pregnant with your first child which is due imminently. Have you had any cravings?
Sweet things. Nutella on everything but I have tried to curb it. I have been trying to eat lots of fruit and get my five a day.

So have you been putting Nutella on your fruit and veg?!
I have been dipping Cadburys Fingers in Nutella. It’s really nice actually. And I have been smearing it on digestive biscuits. I don’t know about fruit.

Do you have a name picked out for the baby?
We have but we are going to wait and see what the baby looks like. We don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl yet. It’s all a big surprise.

Have any of the cast been giving you tips on motherhood?
Yeah, because there have been loads of babies born in the past couple of years, so I’ve been getting lots of advice off everyone.

Didn’t you have your real-life midwife with you when you were filming Maria giving birth?
I did, yeah. Gemma. She’s really good. She’s actually having a baby of her own now so even she’s caught the bug!

So was it almost a dress rehearsal for the real thing?
Yeah, definitely. All fun and games.

Next year marks your 10th anniversary in Weatherfield. How would you like to see Maria develop?
I don’t know. I’ve not got a clue how she is going to be brought back yet and I don’t think the writers have because we have not decided how long I’m going to have off with the baby. I think it will probably be a bit of a fresh start for her when she comes back because Tony will be off the scene. So she will be on her own and hopefully starting afresh.

http://www.tvchoicemagazine.co.uk/samia_smith_extra

LalaGaga
27-01-2010, 02:11
Samia Smith, who plays Coronation Street's Maria Gordon, is featured in the latest edition of OK! Magazine. There's pictures of Samia with her new baby girl Freya.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ieqsyxnYlNo/S17yoXdpJfI/AAAAAAAAJJs/a2CjIEZ_AuE/s1600-h/18056_1.jpg

CrazyLea
27-01-2010, 02:55
Oh thought it was gonna be pics of the baby hahahaha :p

Abbie
27-01-2010, 07:55
Aww she so sweet

LalaGaga
27-01-2010, 16:42
We know childbirth is no walk in the park for mothers, but spare a thought for the poor dads!

Actress Samia Smith, who gave birth to baby Freya by Caesarean three months ago, has revealed that hubby Matt fainted during the operation.

Speaking to Matt during an interview with OK! magazine, Samia said: "You fainted, didn't you! I remember asking Matt: 'What have we got?!' And he looked like he was going to throw up and said: 'I don't know.'"

She added: "I turned one way to talk to the anaesthetists, and then back because the midwife was bringing Freya over, and I said: 'Where's Matt?' and she said: 'He's down here,' and he was on the floor!"

Matt said: "When they'd put her on the birthing table the surgeon asked if I wanted to cut the chord. I said no, and I felt a bit sick, so they sat me down on the floor."

The actress, known for her role as Maria Connor in the soap, had been hoping for a natural birth, but had to have a Caesarean because her daughter was breech.

She said: "The surgeon who performed it was like Edward Scissorhands and had Freya out in four minutes."

From:http://holysoap.five.tv/coronationstreet/news/samia-hubby-fainted-at-birth-5145

alan45
07-11-2010, 14:04
Maria Connor hasn't had the best luck with men. After all, her knight in shining armour Tony Gordon turned out to be a cold-blooded killer.

But has she learned from her mistake? Has she heck!

Actress Samia Smith has hinted that there could be a liaison in store for the sweet-natured hairdresser and Chris Gray (Will Thorp), the wife-beating and clearly very bad news hubby of Cheryl.

Samia revealed: "She had a little flirtation with Chris a couple of weeks back. You think that's the end of it but there's a question mark over it. Is it going to be that cut and dried that she'll stay away? Will that be the end of it? Probably, knowing Maria, it won't.

"I think she thinks she can fix these bad boys but she's never fixed any of them. She's never had any luck with any men. If I were her I'd give up!"

But the actress would love for her long-suffering character to find a bit of happiness for once.

"I'd like her to be happy for a while at least. It's always interesting to play her when she's going through a drama but it'll be nice to see her settled for a little bit."

lizann
18-01-2011, 10:03
Coronation Street hairdresser Maria Connor is to feature in a hard-hitting new storyline with Weatherfield newcomer Frank Foster, it has been revealed.

The single mum - played by Samia Smith - will be in danger of a sex attack at the hands of Frank while visiting his home in a forthcoming edition of the soap, according to The Sun.

Frank is introduced to the cobbles as a new Underworld contact in this week's episodes, and it is thought that Maria is soon given the task of charming him into making a big order after she starts working as factory boss Carla Connor's personal assistant.

However, sources say that Frank will turn nasty while spending time alone with Maria at his house, telling her: "If you want this deal you'll have to be nice to me."

With Frank coming on strongly and making his intentions clear, the episode in question is expected to cut away from the scene and leave viewers to wonder whether he will rape Maria.

A show source said: "Time will tell how bad Frank's character will be - but he's a ladies' man and no Weatherfield woman will be safe from his interest."

Details of Frank's character first emerged last November, when it was revealed that former Bill actor Andrew Lancel had landed the part.

Dazzle
18-01-2011, 15:48
Maria certainly meets more than her fair share of psychos.

parkerman
18-01-2011, 18:09
She should have stuck with Tyrone...

Perdita
10-02-2011, 09:34
Coronation Street actress Samia Smith has spoken about filming an upcoming sex attack on her character Maria Connor.

The plot will see Maria attempting to close an Underworld deal with Frank Foster (Andrew Lancel) by visiting his house. However, the dark scenes will then see her attacked by the businessman.

"It's all been very dramatic. It was pretty tough and there have been plenty of tears. Maria's a tough cookie though," Smith told The Mirror. "She'll be fine. Her little boy Liam is alright, she's got a new boyfriend and I am sure it will make her stronger.

"The way the director shot it is quite graphic. Even the crew were flinching a bit because they didn't like to see me being treated like that. I had to fight Andrew off - and he's quite strong is Andrew! He's so lovely though and it was tough for him, too."

She continued: "It was the first day we had actually worked together and I'd only met him briefly before. Then the second scene we filmed was Frank trying to sexually assault Maria."

Explaining how the attack comes about, the actress went on to reveal that Maria will be left unsure if she should tell her sister-in-law Carla or new boyfriend Chris Gray.

"Maria is in a Catch-22 situation and everything is resting on her clinching the deal," she said. "She goes to his house but doesn't tell Chris her boyfriend she's going alone without Carla, and then Foster assaults her when she won't 'be nice' to him.

"The next day at Underworld she doesn't know whether to tell Carla what happened because she doesn't want to risk the deal but she also wants him to get his comeuppance. She can't tell Chris because she doesn't want him to think badly of her because she went round all dressed up knowing full well she was meant to charm him... so will he say she was asking for it?"

However, Smith added that playing a rape victim in a previous role meant that she could draw from research she had already completed.

"That still happens so much when girls are raped or sexually attacked and they are too scared to go to the police because they think that by dressing in a certain way that's what will be said," she added. "But no girl is ever asking for it. There are still lots of girls scared to report these things so it would be good if there could be a helpline up at the end of the episode. I hope I do justice to real victims.

"When I was 17, I was in Heartbeat and my character got raped. It was really hard-hitting. Before that I'd watched a lot of documentaries about rape victims, so I could draw on that again."

DS

alan45
10-02-2011, 23:53
Samia Smith has said that she will always be grateful for the opportunities that she has had starring in Coronation Street.

PA reports that the actress, who has portrayed Maria Connor in the Weatherfield soap for 11 years, told an audience at the launch of the Home Heat Helpline's winter campaign that she never forgets how lucky she has been to have a successful regular job.

Smith explained: "I think it's just all sorts of luck and circumstance that get you to where you are now. I suppose everything happens for a reason.

"I don't take it for granted at all. Fortunately I'm in a position where I don't need to worry about my fuel bills, but never say never... if I wasn't in Corrie I'd be a jobbing actress, struggling!"

She added: "When I see dramas on the telly that I really enjoy watching I have a moment where I think, 'Oh that could be nice', but Corrie's been brilliant and I can't complain at all with the storylines I've been given.

"It's every actor's dream to be given challenging stories so I'm happy there."

tammyy2j
11-02-2011, 12:59
Coronation Street's upcoming sex attack scenes were so "graphic" they reduced Samia Smith to tears.

The actress - whose alter-ego Maria Connor is subject to a brutal assault by new businessman Frank Foster (Andrew Lancel) when she attempts to land a big deal for her boss Carla Connor (Alison King) - admitted even the crew were "flinching" while the scenes were being shot.

She explained: "It's all been very dramatic. It was pretty tough and there have been plenty of tears. The way the director shot it is quite graphic. Even the crew were flinching a bit because they didn't like to see me being treated like that. I had to fight Andrew off - and he's quite strong is Andrew!

"He's so lovely though and it was tough for him, too. It was the first day we had actually worked together and I'd only met him briefly before. Then the second scene we filmed was Frank trying to sexually assault Maria."

Despite the tough time Maria has gone through during her years on Coronation Street - including being widowed after just eight months of marriage, bedding her husband's killer and giving birth to a stillborn baby - Samia thinks it would be "boring" to play a happy character.

She added: "I trust the writers. I can't complain at what I'm given because it's always really challenging. The trials and tribulations have been really interesting to play and it would get boring if she was always happy."

alan45
16-02-2011, 11:50
Corrie beauty Samia Smith may have her hands full already, starring in a hit soap and bringing up daughter Freya, but she also hopes to find time to hit the books.

The actress, who plays single mum Maria Connor, revealed she's always regretted not being able to complete her studies in psychology after joining the soap 11 years ago.

"It's a little niggle I've always got that I want to do my Open University and finish my psychology course off," she said.

"I was at college when I started Corrie and because it's quite demanding and a full-time job I couldn't finish it."

Samia, who's recently been filming gruelling scenes for an upcoming sex attack storyline, added: "I think it would help me with my acting. It would, definitely."

The 28-year-old - who is currently supporting the Home Heat Helpline's winter campaign to help low-income households save money on energy bills - said she's loving her challenging storylines on Corrie.

There is, however, one TV show Samia would be happy to give it all up for.

"I'm addicted to 24 so if Jack Bauer calls, then I'll be off Corrie I'm afraid. A nice Mancunian girl at CTU, that'd be great," she joked.

"But I don't think they're doing any more 24s, so I think Corrie's safe."

Jack Bauer would have been handy in that tram crash though.

Perdita
20-02-2011, 12:06
Samia Smith has said that she does not want to offend the Coronation Street audience with her upcoming sexual assault plot.

The 28-year-old actress, who portrays Maria Connor in the ITV1 soap, insisted that she is "hyper-aware" of the responsibility she has with the "hard-hitting" storyline.

Next month, the fictional single mum will be attacked and raped by newcomer Frank Foster in her home.

She told PA: "A few years ago my first kind of hard-hitting storyline was when Maria had the stillborn baby and it sort of makes you really hyper-aware that other people have been through it, so you kind of want to do it justice.

"It's the same with this one really. Sexual assault is a very serious issue, so I want to do it justice and hopefully not offend people who have been sexually assaulted."

The star also admitted that filming the disturbing scenes alongside former Bill actor Andrew Lancel has been "a bit tricky".

Smith added: "I think he's obviously really enjoying the challenge of it but it's also a bit tricky coming in and playing an instant baddie.

"They are long hours, they're 12 hour days that we do so it's tiring but it's sort of exhilarating as well because you're getting your script and when you've done it, hopefully you're going to be proud of what you've done. It's a really important storyline as well. I think it's nice to tackle hard-hitting topics."

alan45
26-07-2011, 09:58
Coronation Street star Samia Smith has confirmed that she will be staying with the soap for at least another year.

The actress, who plays hairdresser Maria Connor, told the Manchester Evening News that she recently landed a new deal with the ITV1 show and is pleased with what the future holds.

Speaking of Maria's forthcoming storylines, Smith commented: "I've just signed up for another year, which is exciting. I think there's going to be lots of drama for her."

She added: "You'll have watch out for her love life."

Earlier this year, Maria was tipped to be left heartbroken in a future plot as her boyfriend Chris Gray will apparently reunite with estranged wife Cheryl before leaving the street with her.

Other reports have stated that the development comes after Chris is diagnosed with a brain tumour.

In February, Smith pledged her future to Coronation Street by explaining that she had no plans to leave the soap.

She said at the time: "I don't take it for granted at all… When I see dramas on the telly that I really enjoy watching I have a moment where I think, 'Oh that could be nice', but Corrie's been brilliant and I can't complain at all with the storylines I've been given. It's every actor's dream to be given challenging stories so I'm happy there."

Smith has been part of the Coronation Street cast since 2000.

Perdita
11-08-2011, 17:56
Coronation Street star Samia Smith has revealed that there are big storylines planned for her character Maria Connor over the next 12 months.

The actress recently signed a new deal with the ITV1 soap, which will keep her in Weatherfield for another year.

Speaking on Lorraine about life at Coronation Street, Smith commented: "It's brilliant - I never get bored. Maria is always in the more gritty drama side of Corrie, rather than the comedy side. That's lovely to be involved in, but it's also more challenging to do the dramatic stuff."

The 29-year-old said that she is thrilled over her new contract as "there's some really exciting stuff coming up" for Maria.

Asked whether that was her main motivation for renewing her Coronation Street deal, she replied: "Yeah. It always is - if you know you're going to be involved in some great storylines, then there's absolutely no reason to leave."

She added: "It's perfect - you get to act all year round. That's really unusual for an actor."

Maria's current Coronation Street plot sees her facing heartbreak as her boyfriend Chris Gray is seriously ill. Will Thorp, who plays the character, will leave the show later this year.

Not keen on the character but really not keen on the actress, sorry Samia :(

Perdita
27-09-2011, 11:29
Samia Smith has said that it was a "no-brainer" to renew her Coronation Street contract.

Earlier in the summer, the actress confirmed that she had signed up for another year in the ITV1 serial, teasing that there is "lots of drama" to come for Maria Connor.

Smith told Star magazine that she had not been nervous about finding out if she would be given a new contract by bosses.

"I'm quite chilled out and I sort of knew what they had planned for my character long-term," she said. "So it was a bit of a no-brainer to stay, really."

Teasing her upcoming plots, the 29-year-old told the magazine: "There's something really quite exciting on the horizon, but it's top-secret I'm afraid. But it might involve a man."

Smith quipped: "The trouble is, Maria's had everyone on the Street apart from Norris."

Perdita
19-12-2011, 18:41
Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie has promised that her character Maria Connor will be involved in "explosive" scenes in 2012.

Maria will be among the Weatherfield residents who have a big role to play when evil Frank Foster (Andrew Lancel) stands trial for raping Carla Connor (Alison King) early next year.

The hairdresser has first hand experience of Frank's nasty side as he previously tried to force himself on her during an informal business meeting at his home.

Ghadie, who is mum to 2-year-old Freya, told OK Extra: "Since coming back from maternity leave, I haven't been involved in anything too demanding. I've been able to spend quite a bit of quality time with Freya.

"It's all going to kick off next year, when Maria gets involved in Frank's rape trial. There will be some explosive viewing."

She continued: "I've just signed for another year, so you'll be seeing plenty more of Maria! I love the show and I've been given some great storylines. I'm not thinking about anything else - it doesn't feel like the right time to leave at the moment."

Coronation Street fans have seen Frank grow closer to Sally Webster (Sally Dynevor) in recent weeks, sparking fears that she could be his next target.

Katy
19-12-2011, 21:08
i see shes back to her old name.

alan45
20-12-2011, 00:02
Maria Connor will be involved in "explosive" scenes in 2012

It's all going to kick off next year, when Maria gets involved in Frank's rape trial. There will be some explosive viewing."

But will it rock the COBBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perdita
23-01-2012, 15:35
Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie has hinted that she would like her character Maria Connor's life to go wrong again this year.

The actress and mum-of-one confirmed that she prefers sad storylines for Maria as she finds them more challenging to play.

Speaking to Take It Easy about her ambitions, Ghadie explained: "There are loads of things I'd like to do. I'd love a storyline I can get my teeth into. I've been quiet lately, but the plus side is I've been able to spend quality time with [my daughter] Freya, so it's been like having the best of both worlds."

She continued: "I'd like to play Maria being happy, but the downside of that is it's rather boring. I mean, Maria is never really happy and it's when she's at her saddest that it's the most fun for me to play her.

"I'm a bit of a sadist in that way, because it's more dramatic. It's great when everything is going right - but it's more challenging when everything is going wrong."

Coronation Street viewers will see Maria involved in Frank Foster's (Andrew Lancel) rape trial next week - hoping that the businessman will be sent to prison for his dark crime.

Ghadie said: "Frank tried to rape Maria about a year ago before he raped Carla, so I have to go in the witness box. As it unfolds, there's a lot more to the whole thing and it gets very dark."

Coronation Street continues tonight at 7.30pm and 8.30pm on ITV1.

Oh please, God, no, I can't stand her whining voice when she is happy let alone when she is miserable, which seems to be most of the time anyway. :thumbsdow

alan45
17-04-2012, 00:24
Samia Ghadie has revealed that she hopes to stay in Coronation Street for the foreseeable future.

The actress - who plays hairdresser Maria Connor in the ITV1 soap - said that she has no plans to swap acting for an appearance in a reality TV show.

"It's simple really, I've got a job I love in Coronation Street, an institution, and I'm privileged to be in it, why would I want to do anything else?," she told the Manchester Evening News.

The 29-year-old added that she is hoping that Maria will have a successful romance in the soap soon after failed affairs and relationships with factory boss Tony Gordon (Gray O'Brien) and builders Charlie Stubbs (Bill Ward) and Chris Gray (her real life boyfriend Will Thorp).

She said: "It's about time she had a bit more romance, she deserves it so don't give up on her finding true love yet!"

Samia Ghadie said earlier this year that she is hoping for "sad" scenes for her character Maria in Coronation Street.

The actress was granted a divorce from former husband Matt Smith in November, before deciding to revert to her maiden name Ghadie.

Perdita
20-05-2012, 06:35
Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie has revealed that people think she's a hairdresser in real life.

The actress, who plays Maria Connor in the ITV1 soap, is often approached by confused fans who believe her character is real.

http://i1.cdnds.net/12/19/618x411/soaps_corrie_7875_3.JPG
© ITV

"I was in A&E once because I'd cut my eyebrow and was waiting to get it glued together. I was sitting with an ice pack on my head and this woman was trying to talk to me," Ghadie told the Daily Record.

"I thought she was trying to be funny because she was saying, 'I haven't had my hair done for ages, I need to come in and see you'. I thought, 'She obviously thinks I'm Maria'.

"But she didn't. She thought I worked at the hairdressers where she gets her hair done. She'd recognised my face but couldn't place it and just thought I washed her hair or I was the brusher-upper at the hairdresser."

Ghadie, who divorced Matt Smith in November last year and reverted to her maiden name, is still dating former co-star Will Thorp, who played Chris Gray.

Speaking of her character's love life, she added: "Maria never had any *success with blokes in the 12 years I've been on the show. Most of them just die on her.

"She's literally the kiss of death for male characters - Tony died, Liam died, Charlie died. Frank died."

Perdita
24-05-2012, 16:11
Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie has landed a new deal with the soap, Digital Spy can reveal.

The actress, who plays Weatherfield hairdresser Maria Connor, will remain on the cobbles well into 2013 after signing another contract.

Ghadie today (May 24) told Digital Spy: "I've just signed until September next year, so I'll definitely be here until then. After that, who knows? But I've got no plans to leave at the moment."

The 29-year-old has been part of the Coronation Street cast since 2000, when she was initially signed up on a three-month guest contract.

Reflecting on her early days at the programme, Ghadie added: "I thought I'd do my three months and then I'd be off. I was a jobbing actress when I joined and was really pleased to have a job for three months. I never imagined I'd still be here now."

Kym Marsh (Michelle Connor), Brooke Vincent (Sophie Webster) and Michelle Collins (Stella Price) are also thought to have recently secured new Coronation Street deals.

Check back next month for Digital Spy's full feature interview with Samia Ghadie.

alan45
08-06-2012, 01:18
Coronation Street's Maria Connor receives a wake-up call next week as Audrey Roberts points out that the hairdresser seems to be developing misguided feelings for close friend Marcus Dent.

Maria and Marcus (Charlie Condou) have spent a great deal of time together recently, and Audrey (Sue Nicholls) feels compelled to step in when she realises that her employee is becoming a little too fixated on the openly gay midwife.

Although Maria dismisses Audrey's concerns, she immediately feels awkward around Marcus as she privately accepts that her boss could be right. Knowing that she has no chance with Marcus, will Maria take a step back from him?

Here is an interview with Samia to hear her take on the story and more.

Maria's new storyline with Marcus is a surprising one! What was your initial reaction to it?
"Exactly that, really - surprise! Obviously you never really know what to expect at Corrie because anything can happen, but I never expected that she would fall for a gay guy!"

How would you describe the feelings Maria is having for Marcus? How serious are they?
"It's a tough one to describe, because Marcus is so good with Maria's son Liam and they've almost got a domestic relationship, because he's always helping her out and they've got such a close friendship. They genuinely just really get on.

"I don't think Maria realises that her feelings could be stronger than that until Audrey points it out. I don't really know where it's going or what's coming up, so it's hard to say how serious her feelings are at the moment. But I do know that Maria is completely freaked out when Audrey points it out!"

Is Maria feeling a physical attraction to Marcus?
"I think it's more him and his relationship with her and Liam that she's attracted to. Obviously Liam's dad isn't around and Marcus is the next best thing. Marcus loves Liam like Maria does - almost like his own - because he really wants a family. I think it's that family unit that Maria craves and that's what Marcus is providing for her."

Is it also because Maria is feeling lonely?
"No, I don't think she is feeling lonely - I think she's just getting on with things. She hasn't been out with anybody since Chris, so I think she's just having fun, getting on with it and spending time with her friends. She's got a good job, she's got Liam, and she's got good friends around her.

"So I don't think it's loneliness, I think it's more that Marcus thinks she's lonely and is encouraging her to go out, but the dates that he's setting her up on have just been disastrous so they're spending time together instead!"

Does Maria appreciate Audrey's advice?
"I think she's just totally taken aback. She says, 'Oh my God, no, I don't have feelings for him - he's my mate!' She doesn't understand why Audrey thinks that, but I guess it's quite obvious why she does, because Maria just talks about Marcus all the time and seems slightly amazed by him!"

Maria and Marcus have had scenes together for a while, so did you always know Maria would end up having a crush on him?
"We were told roughly the way it would go, so we sort of expected it would turn into something. It's been lovely working with Charlie - it's been brilliant."

Where would you like the story to go next?
"Well, I think ultimately Marcus is gay so it's going to end in tears for one or both of them eventually! I just hope they still have their friendship at the end of it. But I really don't know what's going to happen."

We've seen you on Corrie for 12 years now. Does it feel like that long?
"No, it doesn't - I'm 30 in July so it's quite scary, really! I was 17 when I joined so it just feels like my life is going really quickly! When I first joined, I was on a three-month contract. I thought I'd do my three months and then I'd be off. I was a jobbing actress when I joined and was really pleased to have a job for three months.

"I never imagined I'd still be here now, but I'm still really enjoying it. I think the show is going from strength to strength and it's got a brilliant mix of comedy and drama at the moment. For once, I'm involved in the lighter-hearted stuff, so that's nice!"

After so long on the show, do any particular moments or storylines stand out?
"I'd definitely say the period when Maria was with Liam. We had the Liam, Carla, Tony love triangle and it was a period of two years with this massive storyline, kicking off with her getting together with Liam and eventually resulting in Tony's demise. That was a really good time for me, because it was just constantly challenging, I was really busy and the storyline was fab - it had loads of twists and turns."

Maria worked at Underworld for a short time last year, but now she's back at the salon. Do you have a preference between the two?
"I think the salon is definitely where Maria's roots are - excuse the pun! She's also tried The Rovers as she was a barmaid there for a while a good few years ago. At Underworld, I think she's got quite bad memories due to Liam and Tony, and then obviously everything with Frank. I think the salon is where Maria is best!"

Would you like Maria to work her way up at the salon?
"Well, I think it's absolutely Maria's dream to own the salon. She did try a while ago and then Audrey decided not to sell, so I think Maria's waiting in the wings for when Audrey wants to retire. But I think she might have a battle on her hands with David if that happens!"

You mentioned Frank - a lot of our readers were surprised Maria wasn't a suspect for his murder earlier this year!
"I was as well, to be fair! I think I was just a bit quiet then - I had a bit of time off. I think Maria was just keeping her head down at that point - she was busy with Liam!"

We also often see quite a few comments from people who'd love to see Maria and Tyrone get back together…
"A lot of people say that, yeah! She could save him from Kirsty, couldn't she? I really love working with Alan Halsall, who plays Tyrone, because he's like a brother in real life. I've known him forever so it's always good working with him, and I do love Maria and Tyrone scenes."

Would you like Maria to find the right man and settle down eventually, or would that be too boring to play?
"I think for Maria, it would be lovely to see her settled with somebody, but obviously it's more interesting for me to play when things go wrong.

"At the same time, though, I'm quite glad I've not had to cry for a while! I went through a phase of about two years where I was constantly in tears. I was even listening to really depressing music to make myself cry on set! So it's nice at the moment to wear nice clothes and make-up and not have to cry all the time."

alan45
16-07-2012, 16:29
Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie has predicted that Maria Connor would "be in a mental home by now" in real life.

The character has been at the centre of several explosive storylines since arriving in Weatherfield in 2000, including giving birth to a stillborn baby, falling victim to a rape attempt by Frank Foster (Andrew Lancel) and becoming a widow when her husband Liam (Rob-James Collier) was murdered in a hit and run.

© ITV

© ITV

"You could write a book about what's happened to Maria," The Sun quotes her as saying. "If that happened in real life, she'd have ended up in a mental home by now."

Maria could be set to find happiness with Jason Grimshaw (Ryan Thomas) after the pair kiss in upcoming episodes, but Ghadie said that filming the scene was more awkward than romantic.

© ITV

"Ryan and I are such good mates," she explained. "We get on so well. So when Maria starts getting very friendly with Jason it feels weird kissing Ryan.

"It's like kissing my brother. You don't get nervous, you just laugh a lot as it does feel so strange."

Ghadie claimed earlier this year that she enjoys Maria's sad plots as they are "the most fun for [her] to play".

The actress signed a deal in May to stay on Coronation Street until 2013.

alan45
16-07-2012, 16:29
Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie has predicted that Maria Connor would "be in a mental home by now" in real life.

The character has been at the centre of several explosive storylines since arriving in Weatherfield in 2000, including giving birth to a stillborn baby, falling victim to a rape attempt by Frank Foster (Andrew Lancel) and becoming a widow when her husband Liam (Rob-James Collier) was murdered in a hit and run.

"You could write a book about what's happened to Maria," The Sun quotes her as saying. "If that happened in real life, she'd have ended up in a mental home by now."

Maria could be set to find happiness with Jason Grimshaw (Ryan Thomas) after the pair kiss in upcoming episodes, but Ghadie said that filming the scene was more awkward than romantic.

"Ryan and I are such good mates," she explained. "We get on so well. So when Maria starts getting very friendly with Jason it feels weird kissing Ryan.

"It's like kissing my brother. You don't get nervous, you just laugh a lot as it does feel so strange."

Ghadie claimed earlier this year that she enjoys Maria's sad plots as they are "the most fun for [her] to play".

The actress signed a deal in May to stay on Coronation Street until 2013.

tammyy2j
17-07-2012, 10:42
Yes I agree she should be kept in a mental home

Perdita
24-07-2012, 12:58
Coronation Street's Samia Ghadie has outlined her intention to stick with the ITV soap for another decade.

The Maria Connor actress, who has been a Weatherfield regular since 2000, said recent events in her personal life have impacted on her decision.

Ghadie's father died in 2009 following a battle with cancer, while she separated from husband Matthew Smith last year.

Speaking to OK!, she explained: "I'd be very happy if I was still in Corrie in ten years' time. I think because of everything that has happened in the last few years I'm trying not to plan too much ahead. I am happy for each day.

"I often get anxious about things that never end up happening and it's such a waste of energy. I'm a terrible worrier but I'm working at that.

"They say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I am definitely a stronger person now than I was back then."

She confirmed to Digital Spy in May that she has signed a contract extension which lasts until September 2013.

The star also revealed the cast members to whom she is closest, divulging: "I'd say Jane Danson (Leanne) is my closest pal on set. I've known her for about 20 years.

"Likewise Alan Halsall (Tyrone), Andy Whyment (Kirk) and Ryan Thomas (Jason). We've all grown up together - they really are my second family. We look out for each other."

The 30-year-old also spoke about her past insecurities over her size in the wide-ranging interview, adding: "Ten years ago I was a bit heavier and it used to stress me out.

"When I look at old pictures of me now, I think I look fine - but at the time I was so self-critical. I wish I could have relaxed a bit more and not worried so much about my appearance."

Can't take to the character :(

Perdita
24-07-2012, 12:59
Coronation Street's Samia Ghadie has outlined her intention to stick with the ITV soap for another decade.

The Maria Connor actress, who has been a Weatherfield regular since 2000, said recent events in her personal life have impacted on her decision.

Ghadie's father died in 2009 following a battle with cancer, while she separated from husband Matthew Smith last year.

Speaking to OK!, she explained: "I'd be very happy if I was still in Corrie in ten years' time. I think because of everything that has happened in the last few years I'm trying not to plan too much ahead. I am happy for each day.

"I often get anxious about things that never end up happening and it's such a waste of energy. I'm a terrible worrier but I'm working at that.

"They say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I am definitely a stronger person now than I was back then."

She confirmed to Digital Spy in May that she has signed a contract extension which lasts until September 2013.

The star also revealed the cast members to whom she is closest, divulging: "I'd say Jane Danson (Leanne) is my closest pal on set. I've known her for about 20 years.

"Likewise Alan Halsall (Tyrone), Andy Whyment (Kirk) and Ryan Thomas (Jason). We've all grown up together - they really are my second family. We look out for each other."

The 30-year-old also spoke about her past insecurities over her size in the wide-ranging interview, adding: "Ten years ago I was a bit heavier and it used to stress me out.

"When I look at old pictures of me now, I think I look fine - but at the time I was so self-critical. I wish I could have relaxed a bit more and not worried so much about my appearance."

Can't take to the character :(

Perdita
22-09-2012, 11:08
Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie has revealed that her character Maria Connor will have a breast cancer scare in upcoming episodes.

Ghadie told The Mirror that the storyline echoes her personal experience of finding a lump after the birth of her daughter.

"It was really scary," said the 30-year-old. "[Freya] was only three months old when suddenly I came across a lump on my breast that was like a really hard pea.

"I went to the doctor straight away and I was hoping she was going to say 'Oh, don't worry', but I was very frightened when instead she said: 'Actually we don't want to get caught out with things like this, you need to see a specialist.'

"To hear that was terrifying... in those few hours while I was waiting, all sorts of horrid things went through my mind. You worry so much."

Ghadie was later told that the lump was benign and a result of hormone fluctuations.

"I was so relieved," she said. "I am so glad I did get it checked out and it's made me very aware now. I check my breasts on a regular basis. It's so important to."

The actress revealed that her own experience made her determined to portray Maria's scare as realistically as possible.

"Because it's so sensitive, we worked with Macmillan on the storyline as we wanted to get it right," she explained. "I know myself how it feels and how scary it is and I think a lot of women will identify with what Maria has to go through... I hope people will feel I have approached it sensitively.

"Maria goes through very similar emotions as I did but it is far worse for her as she doesn't get the results back so quickly and she really stresses out about it."

As well as dealing with her health scare, viewers will see Maria being forced to confront her emerging feelings for her best friend Marcus (Charlie Condou), who is gay.

"Marcus finds Maria crying about her breast cancer scare and, eventually, he manages to find out what is wrong," said Ghadie.

"She is dating Jason Grimshaw [Ryan Thomas] but it's Marcus who she wants to accompany her to the hospital.

"They are good friends but the lines start to get blurred. She knows he is gay but she can't help her feelings for him.

"On paper, Jason is the best choice for her but she can't stop her feelings for Marcus."

Ghadie said that she was "completely shocked" when she first learnt about the storyline and was initially reluctant to film the scenes.

"I found it weird and I didn't want to do it at first. It is such a sensitive area and it was completely unexpected," she explained.

"But after a while, I realised this does happen in real life and I do think it is a good issue to tackle. It will get people talking and I know some people will be pleased they do get together. People stop me in the street and ask me why Maria isn't with Marcus."

When asked about how the story develops, Ghadie admitted that the outcome "affect[s] Jason heavily".

"The whole street turns against [Maria and Marcus]," she said. "They are happy initially, but long term, I am not so sure."

She added: "With Maria, there is never a happy ending. At some point I will be crying again!"

:(

tammyy2j
22-09-2012, 21:51
Samia is such a **** actress she will do a terrible job with this storyline

02ablake
23-09-2012, 12:27
Samia is such a **** actress she will do a terrible job with this storyline

Samia is a fantastic actress and will do an amazing job with this storyline. It also happened to her in real life so she will be able to draw and use her personal experience.

alan45
23-09-2012, 14:13
Interview in Daily Mirror

Suddenly having a newborn baby to care for is a challenging time for any young mum.

Aside from the sleepless nights and endless nappy changing, those early days can be an emotional roller coaster at the best of times.

But after the birth of her daughter Freya nearly three years ago Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie has revealed she also had to contend with a frightening lump in her breast.

The worried TV actress, who plays Maria Connor, rushed to her doctor hoping she would allay her fears, only to be told she must go for immediate tests to discover if the lump was cancerous or not.

As she talks about her cancer scare for the first time, 30-year-old Samia admits that she did start to panic as the “what ifs” raced through her mind.

“It was really scary,” she says.

“I had just had Freya and she was only three months old when suddenly I came across a lump on my breast that was like a really hard pea. It wasn’t even a case of checking my breasts, as it was just there and so very obvious. I felt so scared.

“I went to the doctor straight away and I was hoping she was going to say “oh, don’t worry”, but I was very frightened when instead she said: ‘Actually we don’t want to get caught out with things like this, you need to see a specialist’.

“To hear that was terrifying, and luckily for me I do have private health insurance so I could go that evening for a hospital scan to get it checked out.

“It was horrendous and in those few hours while I was waiting, all sorts of horrid things went through my mind. You worry so much.”

And you can understand why. While she was pregnant, her dad, Joseph, died aged 65 of oesophagus cancer.

Samia, along with her family, helped nurse him during his year-long fight before he died in a hospice.

So it was to Samia’s huge relief when the scan showed her lump was benign.

“It was a case of my hormones playing up as I was breast-feeding,” she says. “I was so relieved. I am so glad I did get it checked out and it’s made me very aware now. I check my breasts on a regular basis. It’s so important to.”

For this reason she is pleased Coronation Street bosses have decided to tackle the subject with Maria, who next month faces her own breast cancer scare in the soap.

“Because it’s so sensitive, we worked with Macmillan on the storyline as we wanted to get it right,” she says. “I know myself how it feels and how scary it is and I think a lot of women will identify with what Maria has to go through.

“As an actress, it is challenging filming harrowing scenes and I hope people will feel I have approached it sensitively.

“Maria goes through very similar emotions as I did, but it is far worse for her as she doesn’t get the results back so quickly and she really stresses out about it.”

But that is not the only issue Samia is having to face.

The hard-hitting cancer plotline paves the way for a budding romance with Maria’s best friend, Marcus, who is gay. Played by Charlie Condou, who’s gay in real life, viewers will see the pair start dating.

“Marcus finds Maria crying about her breast cancer scare and, eventually, he manages to find out what is wrong,” explains Samia.

“She is dating Jason Grimshaw but it’s Marcus who she wants to accompany her to the hospital.

“They are good friends but the lines start to get blurred. She knows he is gay but she can’t help her feelings for him.

“On paper, Jason is the best choice for her but she can’t stop her feelings for Marcus.”

The explosive storyline will, undoubtedly, become a big talking point as it raises the delicate issue of whether gay men should get romantically involved with women or not.

It certainly took Samia by surprise and she admits she was taken aback when she first discovered that Maria would fall hook, line and sinker for Marcus.

“I was completely shocked,” says the actress. “I found it weird and I didn’t want to do it at first.

“It is such a sensitive area and it was completely unexpected. But after a while, I realised this does happen in real life and I do think it is a good issue to tackle. It will get people talking and I know some people will be pleased they do get together. People stop me in the street and ask me why Maria isn’t with Marcus.”

But there will be repercussions for the couple, reveals Samia. “It is going to affect Jason heavily,” she adds. “The whole street turns against them. They are happy initially, but long term, I am not so sure. With Maria, there is never a happy ending. At some point I will be crying again!”

Life has mirrored art for Samia over the breast scare plotline and also in romance – she is dating actor Will Thorp, who played her screen boyfriend Chris Gray. Despite splitting in the soap, in real life they are happily settled.

Before they got together a year ago, Samia had split from husband, Matthew, father of Freya, who turns three next month.

Samia has never talked about her new romance or her divorce and still won’t – but she confirms she is “very happy” as she discusses being a single mum.

Much to her relief, Freya is showing signs of becoming Britain’s next top gymnastic champion rather than following in her mum’s footsteps.

“She watched the Olympics and she now wants to be a gymnast,” chuckles Samia.

“I do think she will be a performer – well, her nursery is convinced she will be! She is always doing pop routines for everyone. But I would never be a pushy mum. I would actually try to deter her, as being an actress is very tough.

“I love being a mum and it gives you a totally different perspective on life. My priorities have completely changed since having Freya. I look at all her lovely features like her tiny fingers and I just can’t believe she is mine.”

With a child waking her up early each morning, Samia says her partying days are very much over,

“I love my job on Corrie so much, but when I have finished, I just want to rush home and spend time with Freya,” she adds. “At weekends, I love nothing more than doing girly things with her and chilling out together.

“When you are a mum, you know you have got far bigger fish to fry than worrying about the little things.

“I used to be such a worrier but now I don’t give anything a second thought.”

The actress puts her petite size 8 frame down to her fast metabolism and regular workouts in her home gym.

“I use my treadmill at home, but I also think I have inherited good genes,” she admits. “My dad had a slight frame, too. I think I take after the Middle Eastern side of the family.”

Yet working out is the last thing on Samia’s mind at the moment as she recovers from a recent operation on her right wrist which left it heavily bandaged.

“I can’t wait to be firing on all cylinders again,” she says. “An operation on your wrist is never nice. But I am fine.”

In July, Samia celebrated turning 30 with a big party for family and friends rather than getting all gloomy about entering her fourth decade.

“I am enjoying my 30s,” she says. “It is not as scary as I thought it would be and I do feel more confident.

“You don’t take yourself seriously. You don’t feel like you have to be a certain person and, as I’ve got older and become a mum, I have got a lot less insecure about my looks. It’s more heightened because of the job I do and in the past there have been times when I have, but nowadays I have got more to worry about than the way I look!”

Would she ever consider going under the surgeon’s knife?

“It’s not something I have ever thought of but I guess you can never say never,” she replies honestly.

Having starred in the soap since the age of 17, has she ever considered quitting?

“I never thought I would still be here if I am honest,” she laughs. “I was happy to do three months and so to have been in Corrie for more than 12 years is incredible.

“I feel like I have grown up with Maria as I was 17 when I joined and now I am 30.

“It is a great job to have and I love it. There are always great storylines and I have got some lovely friends on set.

“I am happy to take each day as it comes. Besides, with the current climate you would be silly to leave.

“I don’t know what I would do that’s better than what I am doing right now. It’s brilliant fun to be part of such an amazing show. I am really happy.”

alan45
23-09-2012, 14:13
Interview in Daily Mirror

Suddenly having a newborn baby to care for is a challenging time for any young mum.

Aside from the sleepless nights and endless nappy changing, those early days can be an emotional roller coaster at the best of times.

But after the birth of her daughter Freya nearly three years ago Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie has revealed she also had to contend with a frightening lump in her breast.

The worried TV actress, who plays Maria Connor, rushed to her doctor hoping she would allay her fears, only to be told she must go for immediate tests to discover if the lump was cancerous or not.

As she talks about her cancer scare for the first time, 30-year-old Samia admits that she did start to panic as the “what ifs” raced through her mind.

“It was really scary,” she says.

“I had just had Freya and she was only three months old when suddenly I came across a lump on my breast that was like a really hard pea. It wasn’t even a case of checking my breasts, as it was just there and so very obvious. I felt so scared.

“I went to the doctor straight away and I was hoping she was going to say “oh, don’t worry”, but I was very frightened when instead she said: ‘Actually we don’t want to get caught out with things like this, you need to see a specialist’.

“To hear that was terrifying, and luckily for me I do have private health insurance so I could go that evening for a hospital scan to get it checked out.

“It was horrendous and in those few hours while I was waiting, all sorts of horrid things went through my mind. You worry so much.”

And you can understand why. While she was pregnant, her dad, Joseph, died aged 65 of oesophagus cancer.

Samia, along with her family, helped nurse him during his year-long fight before he died in a hospice.

So it was to Samia’s huge relief when the scan showed her lump was benign.

“It was a case of my hormones playing up as I was breast-feeding,” she says. “I was so relieved. I am so glad I did get it checked out and it’s made me very aware now. I check my breasts on a regular basis. It’s so important to.”

For this reason she is pleased Coronation Street bosses have decided to tackle the subject with Maria, who next month faces her own breast cancer scare in the soap.

“Because it’s so sensitive, we worked with Macmillan on the storyline as we wanted to get it right,” she says. “I know myself how it feels and how scary it is and I think a lot of women will identify with what Maria has to go through.

“As an actress, it is challenging filming harrowing scenes and I hope people will feel I have approached it sensitively.

“Maria goes through very similar emotions as I did, but it is far worse for her as she doesn’t get the results back so quickly and she really stresses out about it.”

But that is not the only issue Samia is having to face.

The hard-hitting cancer plotline paves the way for a budding romance with Maria’s best friend, Marcus, who is gay. Played by Charlie Condou, who’s gay in real life, viewers will see the pair start dating.

“Marcus finds Maria crying about her breast cancer scare and, eventually, he manages to find out what is wrong,” explains Samia.

“She is dating Jason Grimshaw but it’s Marcus who she wants to accompany her to the hospital.

“They are good friends but the lines start to get blurred. She knows he is gay but she can’t help her feelings for him.

“On paper, Jason is the best choice for her but she can’t stop her feelings for Marcus.”

The explosive storyline will, undoubtedly, become a big talking point as it raises the delicate issue of whether gay men should get romantically involved with women or not.

It certainly took Samia by surprise and she admits she was taken aback when she first discovered that Maria would fall hook, line and sinker for Marcus.

“I was completely shocked,” says the actress. “I found it weird and I didn’t want to do it at first.

“It is such a sensitive area and it was completely unexpected. But after a while, I realised this does happen in real life and I do think it is a good issue to tackle. It will get people talking and I know some people will be pleased they do get together. People stop me in the street and ask me why Maria isn’t with Marcus.”

But there will be repercussions for the couple, reveals Samia. “It is going to affect Jason heavily,” she adds. “The whole street turns against them. They are happy initially, but long term, I am not so sure. With Maria, there is never a happy ending. At some point I will be crying again!”

Life has mirrored art for Samia over the breast scare plotline and also in romance – she is dating actor Will Thorp, who played her screen boyfriend Chris Gray. Despite splitting in the soap, in real life they are happily settled.

Before they got together a year ago, Samia had split from husband, Matthew, father of Freya, who turns three next month.

Samia has never talked about her new romance or her divorce and still won’t – but she confirms she is “very happy” as she discusses being a single mum.

Much to her relief, Freya is showing signs of becoming Britain’s next top gymnastic champion rather than following in her mum’s footsteps.

“She watched the Olympics and she now wants to be a gymnast,” chuckles Samia.

“I do think she will be a performer – well, her nursery is convinced she will be! She is always doing pop routines for everyone. But I would never be a pushy mum. I would actually try to deter her, as being an actress is very tough.

“I love being a mum and it gives you a totally different perspective on life. My priorities have completely changed since having Freya. I look at all her lovely features like her tiny fingers and I just can’t believe she is mine.”

With a child waking her up early each morning, Samia says her partying days are very much over,

“I love my job on Corrie so much, but when I have finished, I just want to rush home and spend time with Freya,” she adds. “At weekends, I love nothing more than doing girly things with her and chilling out together.

“When you are a mum, you know you have got far bigger fish to fry than worrying about the little things.

“I used to be such a worrier but now I don’t give anything a second thought.”

The actress puts her petite size 8 frame down to her fast metabolism and regular workouts in her home gym.

“I use my treadmill at home, but I also think I have inherited good genes,” she admits. “My dad had a slight frame, too. I think I take after the Middle Eastern side of the family.”

Yet working out is the last thing on Samia’s mind at the moment as she recovers from a recent operation on her right wrist which left it heavily bandaged.

“I can’t wait to be firing on all cylinders again,” she says. “An operation on your wrist is never nice. But I am fine.”

In July, Samia celebrated turning 30 with a big party for family and friends rather than getting all gloomy about entering her fourth decade.

“I am enjoying my 30s,” she says. “It is not as scary as I thought it would be and I do feel more confident.

“You don’t take yourself seriously. You don’t feel like you have to be a certain person and, as I’ve got older and become a mum, I have got a lot less insecure about my looks. It’s more heightened because of the job I do and in the past there have been times when I have, but nowadays I have got more to worry about than the way I look!”

Would she ever consider going under the surgeon’s knife?

“It’s not something I have ever thought of but I guess you can never say never,” she replies honestly.

Having starred in the soap since the age of 17, has she ever considered quitting?

“I never thought I would still be here if I am honest,” she laughs. “I was happy to do three months and so to have been in Corrie for more than 12 years is incredible.

“I feel like I have grown up with Maria as I was 17 when I joined and now I am 30.

“It is a great job to have and I love it. There are always great storylines and I have got some lovely friends on set.

“I am happy to take each day as it comes. Besides, with the current climate you would be silly to leave.

“I don’t know what I would do that’s better than what I am doing right now. It’s brilliant fun to be part of such an amazing show. I am really happy.”

tammyy2j
26-09-2012, 11:04
Coronation Street crimper Maria Connor is to lock lips with her gay best mate Marcus Dent.

Samia Ghadie, who plays hairdresser and single mum Maria in the ITV1 soap, revealed that her character's long-running crush on her midwife pal develops into something more after he supports her during a breast cancer scare.

The actress, who has been on Coronation Street for more than 12 years, said the pair end up kissing after Maria gets upset about finding a lump in her breast.

Samia said: "She doesn't tell anybody about it. And then Marcus comes in and finds her crying on the sofa at home and kind of gets it out of her, what's wrong with her."

Referring to Maria's feelings for Marcus, played by Charlie Condou, she said: "I think Maria's secretly quite pleased about it, that it's Marcus who has found her. He's the perfect person who she'd want to be with in this situation.

"At the end of the week, they're having a drink after what's been going on... I can't reveal the outcome! It's really emotional, the emotions take over and they end up kissing."

But what about poor builder's mate Jason Grimshaw, who has been dating Maria in recent weeks?

Samia teased: "This is the other thing, the other spanner in the works. She's kind of been throwing herself into this relationship with Jason and told him he can move in and stuff.

"That makes it even more complicated when she realises that Marcus may have feelings for her, because I think that's why she's throwing herself into the relationship with Jason. She just thinks 'Well, there's no way that Marcus will ever feel what I feel'. And now, obviously, things have changed."

alan45
01-11-2012, 11:49
Yesterday the Mirror had a story about Toyah Battersby returning to Coronation Street, which turned out to be a non-story.* Let's hope today's Corrie spoiler has a bit more to it.

The Mirror says today that Maria will be pregnant with Marcus' baby.* Oh well, as Marcus is a midwife Maria should have no problems if she's alone on a beach this time when she goes into labour, like she did with baby Liam, as long as Marcus is with her.

Speaking of baby Liam, where the chuck has he gone?

The paper says that Samia Ghadie and Charlie Condou, who play Maria and Marcus, were said to be “thrilled” when they heard of the baby plans – not least because it cements their futures in the show. And The Mirror reveals there were plans for Marcus to struggle with his sexuality and fall for Maria as far back as summer last year, but Corrie boses held back on giving the green light to the plotline.

alan45
01-11-2012, 11:50
Yesterday the Mirror had a story about Toyah Battersby returning to Coronation Street, which turned out to be a non-story.* Let's hope today's Corrie spoiler has a bit more to it.

The Mirror says today that Maria will be pregnant with Marcus' baby.* Oh well, as Marcus is a midwife Maria should have no problems if she's alone on a beach this time when she goes into labour, like she did with baby Liam, as long as Marcus is with her.

Speaking of baby Liam, where the chuck has he gone?

The paper says that Samia Ghadie and Charlie Condou, who play Maria and Marcus, were said to be “thrilled” when they heard of the baby plans – not least because it cements their futures in the show. And The Mirror reveals there were plans for Marcus to struggle with his sexuality and fall for Maria as far back as summer last year, but Corrie boses held back on giving the green light to the plotline.

Perdita
01-11-2012, 12:17
Sharon Marshall said on This Morning that she will not be pregnant, that storyline won't happen

Perdita
08-04-2013, 12:34
Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie has reportedly had a boob job.

The 30-year-old actress, who plays Maria Connor in the ITV soap, underwent the £4,000 procedure to boost her breast size from an A to a C cup, The Sun reports.

"She's gone up a few sizes as a confidence boost. She's not trying to be the new Jordan," a friend said.

Ghadie reportedly had the surgery at the Transform Pines Hospital in Manchester two weeks ago during a break from filming.

The insider added: "She's pleased with the results and has never felt sexier."

The soap star's Dancing on Ice skating partner Sylvain Longchambon, who she started dating on the show, is said to be "thrilled" with her new look.

Perdita
09-06-2013, 19:01
Samia Ghadie has reportedly signed a new Coronation Street contract, keeping her on the show for another year.

The actress - who has played Maria Connor on the soap since 2000 - has been offered £110,000 to stay on the ITV series until July 2014. The sum matches the salary of some of the programme's highest-paid stars.

According to the Daily Star, Coronation Street boss Stuart Blackburn was eager to secure Ghadie's role for another year after the recent departure of several young female cast members.

Helen Flanagan and Sacha Parkinson quit the soap in 2011 and Michelle Keegan has recently given her notice after playing Tina McIntyre for five years.

A show source said: "Samia has been on the show for a long time and is hugely popular with viewers.

"Stuart was determined to keep her and he has been given big budgets to retain the show's biggest names. He's delighted she has agreed to stay and has some major storylines planned for her.

"Samia's character Maria has been quiet for the past few months but that's all about to change."

Ghadie recently moved in with her professional skater boyfriend Sylvain Longchambon. The couple began dating after they were partnered together on this year's series of Dancing on Ice.

Perdita
01-10-2013, 14:32
Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie has revealed that she is planning to have another baby.

The Maria Connor actress, who already has daughter Freya from a previous relationship, wants to extend her family with new partner Sylvain Longchambon.
http://i1.cdnds.net/13/18/618x453/soaps-samia-ghadie-2.jpg
Samia Ghadie and Sylvain Longchambon at the wedding of Helen Worth and Trevor Dawson.
© Rex Features
Samia Ghadie with Sylvain Longchambon

Ghadie met Longchambon in January this year after they were paired together on Dancing on Ice and subsequently became the subject of romance rumours.

"In the future it would be nice to have more children as Sylvain is great with kids," Ghadie told OK! magazine.

On the subject of marriage, she continued: "We're just happy as we are. To be honest, we haven't really thought about it yet."

"I definitely want to be a dad one day," Longchambon added.

The couple moved in together in April.

Ghadie is also thought to have signed a new deal worth £110,000 back in June to stay on Coronation Street for another year.

Perdita
01-10-2013, 14:32
Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie has revealed that she is planning to have another baby.

The Maria Connor actress, who already has daughter Freya from a previous relationship, wants to extend her family with new partner Sylvain Longchambon.
http://i1.cdnds.net/13/18/618x453/soaps-samia-ghadie-2.jpg
Samia Ghadie and Sylvain Longchambon at the wedding of Helen Worth and Trevor Dawson.
© Rex Features
Samia Ghadie with Sylvain Longchambon

Ghadie met Longchambon in January this year after they were paired together on Dancing on Ice and subsequently became the subject of romance rumours.

"In the future it would be nice to have more children as Sylvain is great with kids," Ghadie told OK! magazine.

On the subject of marriage, she continued: "We're just happy as we are. To be honest, we haven't really thought about it yet."

"I definitely want to be a dad one day," Longchambon added.

The couple moved in together in April.

Ghadie is also thought to have signed a new deal worth £110,000 back in June to stay on Coronation Street for another year.

Perdita
11-01-2014, 05:15
Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie will have grittier storyline material this year as her character Maria Connor is pushed to the edge.

Maria has heartache in store over the next few months as Todd Grimshaw sets his sights on her partner Marcus Dent, hoping to steal him away from her.

Whichever way the love triangle progresses, fans know that Charlie Condou - who plays Marcus - is leaving the ITV soap later this year.

Coronation Street's producer Stuart Blackburn explained: "Todd's back on the scene and he's never been quite convinced that Marcus was right with Maria. He's going to push and push and push on that one. He's a very different Todd, a damaged Todd and a dangerous Todd."

He added: "Maria's world is going to be ripped apart - completely ripped apart. She's a woman on the edge of a mental breakdown, a nervous breakdown."

Maria's downward spiral is linked to her relationship trouble but will also be a storyline in its own right.

Ghadie, who has been quieter on screen over the past year, is thought to be delighted with the future plans for her character.

swmc66
11-01-2014, 12:58
She is one boring character

Chloe O'brien
11-01-2014, 19:48
Looks like she will be staying at Audrey's flat then.

swmc66
15-01-2014, 19:57
We never see her son....very strange. Who was looks after him when they are both out in the evening.

Perdita
15-01-2014, 20:46
We never see her son....very strange. Who was looks after him when they are both out in the evening.

Ozzy because he sure looks like he is staying indoors too much without getting exercise ...:p

I presume that Maria and Marcus have friends outside of Coronation Street that might babysit if all other Corrie residents are attending the same events or as a rule it is Emily that seems to be resident babysitter

swmc66
16-01-2014, 09:24
the actress who plays Maria cannot act so she will struggle with the mental illness story line as will we!

tammyy2j
31-01-2014, 13:49
http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/457062/Coronation-Street-Marcus-chases-Maria-after-she-catches-him-in-bed-with-Todd-Grimshaw

Maria Connor is set to feel heartbreak again, after she catches boyfriend Marcus Dent in bed with Todd Grimshaw

tammyy2j
31-01-2014, 13:49

inkyskin
01-02-2014, 12:44

the same people who look after fiz and tyrones kids i think!

inkyskin
01-02-2014, 12:44

the same people who look after fiz and tyrones kids i think!

GloriaW
01-02-2014, 16:34
the actress who plays Maria cannot act so she will struggle with the mental illness story line as will we!

Do you ever have that right! One of the worst soap actresses going. Remember how godawful she was with the Liam storyline? And they insisted on giving her big dramatic scenes as well. Which only highlghted how lacking she was.

Perdita
11-03-2014, 06:21
Maria Connor's dreams of a happy family life with Marcus Dent crumble on Coronation Street next week as she catches him in a compromising position with Todd Grimshaw.

A devastated Maria discovers her partner's infidelity after scheming Todd seduces Marcus while he is viewing a showhouse.

Here, Samia Ghadie - who plays Maria - discusses her character's heartbreak and the implications for her future.

Has Maria had any suspicions that Marcus might fancy Todd?
"No, not at all. Maria has asked Marcus so many times whether he's sure about her and whether she's enough for him. Every time she's brought it up, he's reassured her, which has put those suspicions to the back of Maria's mind. Maria just thinks Todd is a good friend and that's as far as it goes."

Do you think that Maria has been quite naive about Todd's behaviour towards Marcus?
"I'd say so yes. I think she has been naive about the whole situation from start to finish. She's been so consumed by her hunt for a new house. Maria's got this image of the perfect family in a perfect home with a white picket fence, and it's distracted her from seeing the reality of the situation. She's failed to see how strange it is that Todd appears everywhere they go and how much he has been sniffing around Marcus."

Do you think it was always a possibility that Marcus was going to go off with another man?
"Absolutely. I think Maria and Marcus were doomed from the start! They had such a great friendship but the lines became blurred. Both of them started to see it as love and as something deeper than just friends. Essentially, I think all they were ever meant to be was just good friends - I think they fell in love with their friendship. Ultimately Marcus is gay and there was always a danger that this would happen."
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/06/618x444/soaps-corrie-8325-2.jpg
Wanting to get Marcus on side, Todd tells him and Maria a sob story about his father.
© ITV
Todd has been flirting with Marcus for weeks

What does Maria think of Todd before she discovers what is going on?
"Maria feels really sorry for Todd. He's leaned on Maria and Marcus quite a bit and she thought it was because he feels quite left out of Jason's relationship with his dad. She's happy to befriend him because he's come back from London and doesn't have many friends in Weatherfield anymore. She's not seen anything sinister in his behaviour so she has no reason to suspect him."

Can you tell us about the moment that Maria walks into the showhouse?
"The moment Maria walks into the showroom with Audrey is just awful. She's so excited to show Audrey her dream home. As they go into the house, they literally catch Todd and Marcus in a compromising situation! It's horrendous for Maria, she's completely stunned and it's almost like it's not happening. She just turns around and walks out. It's like her world has come to a standstill. She's devastated."

What happens next?
"Marcus quickly gets dressed and runs after her, but Audrey whisks Maria back to the Street in the car. Marcus follows them and tries to speak to Maria back on the Street, but she just flies at him. She loses it and lashes out at him."
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/10/618x459/soaps-corrie-8344-3.jpg
Todd and Marcus get carried away
© ITV
Todd and Marcus get carried away
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/10/618x449/soaps-corrie-8344-4.jpg
Maria and Audrey enter the house.....
© ITV
Maria and Audrey enter the house.....

Is Maria humiliated as well because Audrey was also there?
"I don't think it's mattered too much in the grand scheme of things that Audrey was there. If anything it was probably better for Maria that Audrey was there to calm her down and take her home. Audrey's like family to Maria and she will always be there for her."

Does it make matters worse that Marcus did this in their dream home?
"Maria is furious that he's done it full stop, regardless of where it was. The cherry on the cake was that he was caught in their dream house and he's shattered her dreams completely."

Maria tells Marcus that it's over between them, but is that just a knee-jerk reaction?
"No, she means it. Her worst fears have been realised and she can't get past that. There's absolutely no chance that she could think of getting back with him. He's done the one thing that she was most scared of him doing to her. Maria spent so much time defending their relationship and he's betrayed her."

Maria finds out that Fiz had suspicions about Marcus and Todd.. How does she react?
"Maria is angry at the world and feels as though everyone is laughing at her, so when Fiz tells her this she goes mad. She tells Fiz that she doesn't need enemies with friends like her and throws her out. Fiz argues back and asks Maria whether she would have believed her anyway if she had have told her."
http://i2.cdnds.net/13/28/618x395/soaps-corrie-8175-1.jpg
Maria tries to cheer Audrey up about her money problems.
© ITV
Audrey will support Maria

What is Maria's attitude towards Todd in the aftermath?
"She wants to kill him. She is fuming with them both and can't believe they could have done this to her."

Is Maria having to fight against her love for Marcus?
"It's so hard because she's so hurt by it all. She loved him so much and she could see her future with him. Her world has come crashing down around her but she can't just stop loving him - but then Maria hates him in equal measure."

Marcus begs Maria to give him a chance to talk. What happens next?
"That's all she gives him. Maria literally gives him two minutes of her time and it's Kirk who encourages her to do it. She's sarcastic and cold towards him. She only does it so he can't say he hasn't had a chance to explain."

What has Maria told Liam about what's happened?
"Marcus asks her that and Maria tells him that Liam isn't quite ready for the truth. Even a couple of weeks down the line Liam is asking where Marcus is, and she just doesn't know what to tell him."

Maria sees Todd and Marcus together in the Street. Does she think they are an item?
"Yes, her first thoughts are that they are now a couple. It's like another kick in the teeth for Maria - she thinks everyone is in on it."

Is is true that Maria could have a breakdown because of this?
"I think she's heading for some sort of breakdown. We might see a side to Maria that we haven't seen before and there'll be some unexpected behaviour from her, I'm sure! It's one betrayal too far, so all of her past tragedies will come to a head. She's got no trust in anyone anymore.

"It's fantastic to have this storyline and I knew it was always heading for disaster with Marcus. I'm pleased with the way it's turned out, and I think it'll open a lot of avenues for Maria to explore. It's going to create a lot more drama down the line."

02ablake
16-03-2014, 20:25
Looking forward to Maria's storyline. I like Maria and Samia is a fantastic actress so I can't wait to see this played out.

lizann
16-03-2014, 21:12
Looking forward to Maria's storyline. I like Maria and Samia is a fantastic actress so I can't wait to see this played out.

thanks i needed a laugh

lizann
16-03-2014, 21:12

thanks i needed a laugh

swmc66
16-03-2014, 23:09
Unfortunately she lacks acting skills and they did not surface when Liam died so expect we will not see them during this storyline.

02ablake
18-03-2014, 06:20
Whatever floats your boat. I stick to what I said Samia is a fantastic actress.

02ablake
18-03-2014, 06:22
Unfortunately she lacks acting skills and they did not surface when Liam died so expect we will not see them during this storyline.

I disagree I think she was fantastic during the whole Liam, Paul and Tony fiasco. Each to their own I guess.

02ablake
18-03-2014, 06:22

I disagree I think she was fantastic during the whole Liam, Paul and Tony fiasco. Each to their own I guess.

swmc66
18-03-2014, 13:43
we all have different views and that's ok

tammyy2j
18-03-2014, 14:06
I wonder what she is going to do to Marcus to make him pay, maybe get him fired from the hospital or kill him :p

swmc66
18-03-2014, 21:43
All she can do is stop him seeing Liam and throw away his belongings.

Dazzle
19-03-2014, 15:22
I wonder what she is going to do to Marcus to make him pay, maybe get him fired from the hospital or kill him :p

I'd love her to get revenge somehow.

I agree about Samia being good which she's got a storyline to get her teeth into. She's not the best actress but she's also not the worst, and Maria's a sympathetic and likeable character (in my opinion). I really felt for her when she found Marcus and Todd together.

Perdita
19-03-2014, 15:33
I hope she just moves on without trying to get any revenge, it won't help her to win him back should she be stupid enough to want to and also won't change the fact he was enough attracted to somebody else to cheat on her :(

Dazzle
19-03-2014, 15:41
...it won't help her to win him back should she be stupid enough to want to...

I can't see that happening...

Perdita
19-03-2014, 16:09

No, I can't but you never know

Perdita
19-03-2014, 16:09

No, I can't but you never know

Perdita
19-03-2014, 18:33
Coronation Street stars Samia Ghadie and Alan Halsall filmed emotional scenes for the soap while out on location yesterday (March 18).

The actors, who play Maria Connor and Tyrone Dobbs, were pictured shooting at a park in Manchester for scenes due to air in a few weeks' time.
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/12/618x752/soaps-corrie-on-location-filming-1.jpg
Samia Ghadie filming on location for Coronation Street in Manchester
© Rex Features / MicPix Ltd
Samia Ghadie filming on location for Corrie
http://i1.cdnds.net/14/12/618x420/soaps-corrie-on-location-filming-2.jpg
Alan Halsall & Samia Ghadie filming on location for Coronation Street in Manchester
Alan Halsall & Samia Ghadie filming on location

The episode in question sees Tyrone offering a shoulder to cry on for Maria as she breaks down in tears following her recent heartbreak.

When Tyrone's partner Fiz Stape (Jennie McAlpine) then arrives on the scene, she appears curious to see the ex-couple looking so close.
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/12/618x455/soaps-corrie-on-location-filming-3.jpg
Alan Halsall & Samia Ghadie filming on location for Coronation Street in Manchester
Tyrone comforts Maria
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/12/618x766/soaps-corrie-on-location-filming-4.jpg
Tyrone and Maria share a hug

Maria was left devastated earlier this week as she discovered that her boyfriend Marcus Dent had been cheating on her with Todd Grimshaw.

Over the next few weeks, viewers will see Maria's actions become a cause for concern as she starts to behave out of character.
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/12/618x469/soaps-corrie-on-location-filming-5.jpg
Sam Aston & Jennie McAlpine filming on location for Coronation Street in Manchester
Sam Aston & Jennie McAlpine filming on location

Speaking in January, Coronation Street's producer Stuart Blackburn explained: "Maria's world is going to be ripped apart - completely ripped apart. She's a woman on the edge of a mental breakdown, a nervous breakdown."

In an interview with Love Sunday magazine at the weekend, Ghadie added: "She's going to change a lot and she goes a bit darker. She gets bitter and causes trouble for people you wouldn't expect her to.

"I'm a bit worried people aren't going to like her. She's a bit disturbed and is craving attention. So watch this space."

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a558802/coronation-street-samia-ghadie-films-tearful-scenes-pictures.html#ixzz2wR175WAu

Dazzle
19-03-2014, 19:30
Ghadie added: "She's going to change a lot and she goes a bit darker. She gets bitter and causes trouble for people you wouldn't expect her to.

"I'm a bit worried people aren't going to like her. She's a bit disturbed and is craving attention. So watch this space."

Sounds good, I'm looking forward to seeing Maria go to the dark side :D

lizann
19-03-2014, 19:45
i hope she dont try to get back with tyrone

Perdita
19-03-2014, 19:49
Sounds good, I'm looking forward to seeing Maria go to the dark side :D

I am so dreading it :thumbsdow

swmc66
19-03-2014, 20:34
Another person having a personality transplant

Perdita
19-03-2014, 22:02

Maria? Think she has always been disturbed and craving attention

Perdita
19-03-2014, 22:02

lizann
19-03-2014, 22:23

could she be tyrone's kirsty stalker?

lizann
19-03-2014, 22:23

swmc66
19-03-2014, 22:28
Very possible

tammyy2j
20-03-2014, 13:43
I don't think Maria serves any purpose on the show time to cut her lose

tammyy2j
20-03-2014, 13:43

She never had a personality to me :p

Perdita
07-04-2014, 05:47
Maria has been struggling in the fallout after Marcus' betrayal, but will it lead her down a dangerous path?

Leaning heavily on Tyrone for support, Maria begins to have feelings for him again and leans in for a kiss!
http://cdn.itv.com/uploads/editor/medium_rdAMwYLFAGczGWUFY-731sg3zJeQVuqHoca8dDZ8gUw.jpg
Tyrone and Maria - Coronation Street - ITV

More than anything, I think Maria wants to be loved. She sees Tyrone and Fiz together and it’s just a reminder of what she doesn’t have - what she’s lost.
– Samia Ghadie, who plays Maria

Later, Maria texts Tyrone to apologise, but because Tyrone doesn’t have her new mobile number, he automatically thinks it’s from the newly released Kirsty and is terrified.

Turning to Maria for support, she feels needed and decides to let him carry on thinking it’s Kirsty…
http://cdn.itv.com/uploads/editor/medium_cFYPSwOHNhsEvbuisgWDO5Yg2MD5QcNMNitoDiKGYLo .jpg
Fiz, Tyrone and Maria - Coronation Street - ITV
"Maira wants him to need her" says Samia, "And because Tyrone doesn’t think he can lean on Fiz he turns to Maria for support."

"It’s twisted but Maria feels wanted by Tyrone and because of that she finds it difficult to stop pretending to be Kirsty."

Will Maria get caught out? Or will she come to her senses before any more damage is done?

Perdita
07-04-2014, 12:54
Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie has confirmed that her character Maria Connor will be the culprit behind Tyrone Dobbs's mystery texts.

As previously reported, Tyrone will be left fearful when he hears that Kirsty is now a free woman again, and then starts receiving a number of text messages signed off as "K".

However, Ghadie has confirmed on the official Coronation Street website that Maria will be the person responsible.

The story kicks off after an increasingly vulnerable Maria starts to develop feelings for Tyrone once again, as she struggles to cope with her split from Marcus Dent.

After Tyrone lends Maria support following a confrontation with Todd, she misreads the signs and attempts to kiss him.

Later, Maria texts Tyrone to apologise, but Tyrone doesn't have her new mobile number and automatically thinks it's from the newly released Kirsty.
http://i1.cdnds.net/14/13/618x438/soaps-corrie-8362-8.jpg
Tyrone breaks the news to Fiz that Kirsty's been released
© ITV
Tyrone breaks bad news to Fiz

However, when Tyrone confides in Maria over his fears, she is happy to feel needed by him and doesn't set him straight, leaving him to believe Kirsty is back on the scene.

Ghadie said: "Maria wants him to need her. And because Tyrone doesn't think he can lean on Fiz he turns to Maria for support.

"It's twisted but Maria feels wanted by Tyrone and because of that she finds it difficult to stop pretending to be Kirsty."

tammyy2j
07-04-2014, 14:51

Well done

Perdita
08-04-2014, 13:29
Coronation Street's Tyrone Dobbs will call the police on Maria Connor after learning that she is the mystery person who has been secretly terrorising him. :thumbsup:

It was revealed yesterday (April 7) that Maria (Samia Ghadie) will leave Tyrone (Alan Halsall) terrified when she sends him a number of text messages pretending to be his violent ex-fiancée Kirsty Soames, who has been released from prison.

Maria's devious actions are part of a plan to grow closer to Tyrone as he leans on her for support throughout the ordeal, but her plan comes under threat when David Platt becomes the first person to uncover her secret.

However, the Daily Star reports that Tyrone and his partner Fiz Stape (Jennie McAlpine) will discover the truth when he rings the number of his stalker and realises that the messages have been sent from Maria's new phone.

Feeling completely betrayed, Tyrone confronts Maria over her actions, before calling the police and reporting her.

Coronation Street airs the start of the texting storyline next week.

swmc66
11-04-2014, 20:10
Still find it strange that she is kirk's sister. You hardly ever see them together. Only just recently.

lizann
11-04-2014, 22:22
Still find it strange that she is kirk's sister. You hardly ever see them together. Only just recently.

he is funny and likeable and she is not

lizann
11-04-2014, 22:22

he is funny and likeable and she is not

Perdita
07-05-2014, 10:30
Coronation Street star Samia Ghadie has warned that her character Maria Connor will have "a complete meltdown" when her ruthless deception is finally revealed. If only she could act :wall:

Maria's behaviour has taken a dark turn in recent weeks as she has been secretly terrorising Tyrone Dobbs with text messages pretending to be his violent ex Kirsty Soames.

Twisted Maria is sending the texts so that she can 'comfort' Tyrone (Alan Halsall) throughout the ordeal and steal him away from his partner Fiz Stape. However, the game is up for Maria later this month when Tyrone and Fiz finally realise what she is up to.

The reveal moment takes place when the police tell Fiz that Kirsty is abroad and is definitely not the person sending the texts. When Fiz then phones the 'Kirsty' number to investigate further, Tyrone is with Maria and answers the call, which leads to the truth coming out at last.

Ghadie told All About Soap: "Maria has just declared her love for him, so she has a complete meltdown when Tyrone discovers it was her sending the texts. Tyrone is quite aggressive, which is unlike him. The police get involved and it's just a very dark time for Maria.

"She says she did it because she loves him, and that makes no sense to anyone else. She's not in a good place mentally, so what would be weird behaviour for others just seems normal to Maria."

When Tyrone and Fiz decide to call in the police, viewers will be left to wonder how far they will pursue the case against their former friend.

Jennie McAlpine, who plays Fiz, added: "Fiz and Tyrone are caring people and they have a lot of history with Maria, so I hope they do forgive her. But I don't think Fiz could ever trust her again."

Coronation Street airs the Maria reveal on Monday, May 19 at 7.30pm and 8.30pm on ITV.

Perdita
13-05-2014, 13:13
Coronation Street's Maria Connor will decide to take time out from the cobbles after her texting shame is revealed. :cheer:

After weeks of manipulative behaviour, the game is finally up for Maria next week when Tyrone Dobbs and Fiz Stape learn that she is the real culprit behind the recent 'Kirsty' texts.

Shocked that Maria is the one who has been terrorising them in recent weeks, Tyrone and Fiz react angrily and report her to the police.

Samia Ghadie, who plays Maria, commented: "Maria is terrified when they report her to the police, but she's also terrified by what she's done.

"She's basically had a nervous breakdown, she's not herself and I think it's a result of what's happened over the past few years."

With Maria facing a backlash over her actions, her brother Kirk steps in by urging Tyrone and Fiz to drop the charges.
http://i1.cdnds.net/14/19/618x406/soaps-corrie-8390-1.jpg
Tyrone confronts Maria and tells her he knows she sent the texts
© ITV
Tyrone will be furious with Maria

Kirk also convinces Maria to visit their parents in Cyprus for a while, recognising that she needs a break to get herself back to normal again.

Ghadie added: "She's completely lost the plot and that's why she decides to go away for a while. She just needs to get away from Weatherfield and get back to being Maria.

"I think a break will do her the world of good. She needs to get away and let the dust settle with Tyrone and Fiz, and then try and start again."

Coronation Street airs these scenes next week on ITV.

Lets hope it is a nice long break :thumbsup:

lizann
04-11-2014, 21:45
wish she would take a long long long break from the show, miserable awful character dull as dishwater and her push with luke makes no sense

swmc66
04-11-2014, 23:15
The way she talks gets on my nerves almost as bad as Fiz

Dazzle
05-11-2014, 15:29
I really liked Maria during the Tony Gordon storyline (when everyone thought she was mad because she believed he killed Liam, but then she had a relationship with him - as you do). She hasn't had anything interesting to do since, though, so has become a dull character.

Perdita
05-11-2014, 16:36
I have never taken to the character, for some reason, never missed her when she was away for maternity leave or just not being used much in storylines. The so-called attempted rape that never was in the storyline with Tony Gordon did not help either ..

swmc66
06-11-2014, 08:36
her acting is so wooden

Dazzle
06-11-2014, 13:17
her acting is so wooden

I agree she's not the strongest actor, but I think she's a lot better than some (Kate Ford for example).

Perdita
06-11-2014, 14:16
A bit better, would not say a lot better than Kate Ford :nono: :D

Dazzle
06-11-2014, 16:34
A bit better, would not say a lot better than Kate Ford :nono: :D

Okay, okay...I take back the "a lot" part! :D

lizann
06-11-2014, 19:26
I agree she's not the strongest actor, but I think she's a lot better than some (Kate Ford for example).

na she is worse

kate can at least play a good snarky bitch samia cant play any type

lizann
06-11-2014, 19:26

na she is worse

kate can at least play a good snarky bitch samia cant play any type

swmc66
06-11-2014, 21:05
Kate Ford is a better Tracy than the first actress that played Tracy. Where do they find these people?

Dazzle
07-11-2014, 17:35
Kate Ford has got good comic timing but I think she's a worse actress than Samia (who's storylines with Tony Gordon and, especially, her tragic stillbirth impressed me). Kate Ford has never impressed me! In fact, her attempt at weeping and wailing ruined the wedding episodes for me.

I think Maria needs another direction rather than chasing her latest love interest.

parkerman
07-11-2014, 18:02
I agree Dazzle. I think Kate Ford is hopeless. Mind you, I know Alan was always very impressed with her.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Dazzle
07-11-2014, 18:13
I agree Dazzle. I think Kate Ford is hopeless. Mind you, I know Alan was always very impressed with her.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

She was Alan's favourite character, if I remember correctly. Well...maybe second favourite after Peggy Mitchell! :D

Perdita
07-11-2014, 18:15
:lol:

swmc66
07-11-2014, 18:25
Well she must be popular with someone out there. Stuart Blackburn obviously likes her

swmc66
07-11-2014, 18:25
And her mum

Dazzle
07-11-2014, 18:36
Well she must be popular with someone out there. Stuart Blackburn obviously likes her

And her mum

Kate Ford has some fans due to her comic ability. She even makes me laugh sometimes! I like Deirdre, though she has the occasional dodgy acting moment herself. She's very good on the whole, though, and is funny too.

I think the producers want to keep the Barlow family together as they're so important to Corrie's history.

lizann
07-11-2014, 23:19
where is alan these days

Dazzle
09-11-2014, 18:13
where is alan these days

I think he had an argument with a short-lived member and gave up SB in disgust. I hope he gets over it and comes back sometime.

parkerman
09-11-2014, 18:52
Yes, if you remember, I left at the same time basically over the same member. But I then decided I couldn't live without you all. :love:

I'll see if I can persuade Alan to come back - we are Facebook Friends.

maidmarian
09-11-2014, 20:09
I think he had an argument with a short-lived member and gave up SB in disgust. I hope he gets over it and comes back sometime.

Yes- I hope so Dazzle. Enjoyed his
posts when I joined.

maidmarian
09-11-2014, 20:12
where is alan these days

thanks for asking Lizann.Ive wondered myself.
And Dazzle & Parkerman have given answer.

Dazzle
10-11-2014, 11:49
But I then decided I couldn't live without you all. :love:

We're very glad you came back to us. :)

I'll see if I can persuade Alan to come back - we are Facebook Friends.

Is he doing ok?

Perdita
26-03-2015, 21:05
Samia Ghadie has announced that she is pregnant with her second child.

The Coronation Street actress revealed the news via her Twitter account.

It will be Ghadie's second child, but her first with partner Sylvain Longchambon, who has retweeted the news.

The pair met when they were partnered on Dancing on Ice in 2012.
http://i1.cdnds.net/13/40/618x985/showbiz-samia-ghadia.jpg
Samia Ghadie and Sylvain Longchambon attend a dinner in honour of actor, Bill Tarmey
Samia Ghadie and Sylvan Longchambon

Ghadie already has a daughter Freya with her ex-husband, property developer Matthew Smith.

She previously spoke about wanting to have a child with Longchambon in 2013, saying: "In the future it would be nice to have more children as Sylvain is great with kids."

I wonder if they write the pregnancy into the storyline with Luke or if we see more baggy clothes and big handbags :p

swmc66
27-03-2015, 20:02
Do we have to have a Maria return? I dread what exit line and return they come up with!

owenlee4me
29-03-2015, 17:39
Samia Ghadie has announced that she is pregnant with her second child.

The Coronation Street actress revealed the news via her Twitter account.

It will be Ghadie's second child, but her first with partner Sylvain Longchambon, who has retweeted the news.

The pair met when they were partnered on Dancing on Ice in 2012.
http://i1.cdnds.net/13/40/618x985/showbiz-samia-ghadia.jpg
Samia Ghadie and Sylvain Longchambon attend a dinner in honour of actor, Bill Tarmey
Samia Ghadie and Sylvan Longchambon

Ghadie already has a daughter Freya with her ex-husband, property developer Matthew Smith.

She previously spoke about wanting to have a child with Longchambon in 2013, saying: "In the future it would be nice to have more children as Sylvain is great with kids."

I wonder if they write the pregnancy into the storyline with Luke or if we see more baggy clothes and big handbags :p

And Cushions to hug