PDA

View Full Version : Hugo Speer: 'ITV must keep Taggart'

Perdita
11-07-2009, 14:42
Hugo Speer has encouraged ITV to keep Taggart on the air following rumours that it is facing the axe.

The actor, who recently filmed a guest appearance on the programme, claimed that the long-running drama must not become another casualty of the broadcaster's budget cuts.

Speaking to the Daily Record, Speer commented: "I really hope they don't bring it to an end. I did Heartbeat recently, and that's been going for ages. That's been cut now too. Everything is being cut back, all these big old long-running series are falling away.

"I would hope that Taggart isn't one of them. As with all decent, good quality drama like Taggart, if you have the formula in place, it helps to keep this business ticking over.

"I really hope it's not finished. I remember watching Taggart when I was a kid in the days when Mark McManus was doing it. It's always been really high quality."

Taggart launched in 1983 and has since built up a reputation as one of ITV's most popular dramas.

Speer's appearance in the Scottish detective series will be screened on July 19.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a164623/hugo-speer-itv-must-keep-taggart.html

Oh no, not another decent programme to be axed :(

DaVeyWaVey
11-07-2009, 18:03
I wouldn't be surprised if they axed it. ITV is going downhill if you ask me. The bosses there all seem convinced that we really want to see Katie Price being interviewed by Piers Morgan. It's described as "the interview we've all been waiting for" ... umm, no thanks.

Hannelene
11-07-2009, 20:22
The way that ITV have been lately I could see this going. After all they got rid of Heartbeat!

Chloe O'brien
11-07-2009, 21:20
It would be a disaster if they got rid of Taggart but they make more money through reality tv. They think more about the bank balance than the viewers.

Richie_lecturer
19-08-2009, 15:34
To be fair they are a commercial organisation and need to make money to stay afloat.

I hope Taggart stays on. It's still a good watch though not as good as it used to be. I think the modern format of the show is what lets it down. In the old days each series used to be a three part drama from memory. Now it's all done and dusted within an hour, and there's no time to implement the deliberately misleading plot through each story. The acting is fine, indeed I think Alex Norton is excellent, very much like the original Mr Taggart (Mark McManus) - tough, merciless, proper Glasweigan. Better than the wet fish that was Jardine.