PDA

View Full Version : Botched op footballer's wife dies

Chloe O'brien
11-07-2009, 01:07
The wife of former Scotland footballer Colin Hendry has died in hospital after battling a serious infection. Denise Hendry, 42, who lived in Lytham, Lancashire, developed a meningitis-type infection after an operation to correct botched cosmetic surgery.
She had been seriously ill in Salford Royal Hospital for 11 weeks, and died on Friday surrounded by her family.
Mrs Hendry suffered multiple organ failure after a liposuction procedure at a private hospital in 2002.
Further corrective surgery at Preston Royal Hospital was unsuccessful and the family took the decision to seek further treatment in Salford, where she underwent reconstructive surgery on her abdomen.
Blood poisoning
Speaking after her admission in May, Mr Hendry, the former Clyde and Blackpool manager, described the infection his wife contracted as a "devastating blow".
"She's a real fighter and I believe that, if anyone can come through an ordeal like this, it's Denise," he said.
"I spend every day at her bedside and it's encouraging to see the progress she is making, although there is still a long way to go."
Mrs Hendry suffered nine punctures to her bowel and colon during the original operation at Broughton Park hospital in 2002, and later developed blood poisoning.
Lawyers later secured a six-figure damages settlement in November 2006, while the surgeon voluntarily applied to be removed from the General Medical Council's register.

Mrs Hendry subsequently campaigned about the dangers of cosmetic surgery, urging people to check their surgeon's credentials before going under the knife.
Mr Hendry, from Keith in Morayshire, played 51 times for Scotland and captained his country at the 1998 World Cup in France.
The central defender started his professional career with Dundee in 1983 before going on to play for Blackburn Rovers, Manchester City, Rangers and Coventry City.
Scottish Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith said: "This is devastating news for Colin and his family.
"The thoughts of everyone at the Scottish FA and, I am sure, everyone associated with the game here in Scotland are with them at this tragic time."
Mr and Mrs Hendry, who had been together for more than 20 years, have four children aged between nine and 19.
Blackburn Rovers managing director Tom Finn said the club's thoughts were with the Hendry time at "this deeply distressing time".
Mr Finn added: "It is tragic that someone so young should be taken from us in this way."

Perdita
11-07-2009, 08:06
When it was first announced that she was ill due to the botched liposuction, I decided to live with my extra bits or do more exercise rather than dreaming of having them surgically removed.

RIP Denise

Katy
11-07-2009, 11:01
No way, last i heard she was doing ok. Poor Colin.

RIP Denise, 42 is so young.

Hannelene
11-07-2009, 13:16
That is shocking I didn't realise she went on to try and correct the problem :(

Pinkbanana
11-07-2009, 20:51
Very sad news.. Ive heard a lot of people saying she was vain etc.... but no one deserves to die, from a relatively straight forward procedure.

Hannelene
11-07-2009, 21:16
Reading this makes me never want to have cosmetic surgery :(

di marco
12-07-2009, 11:42
Reading this makes me never want to have cosmetic surgery :(

i agree, me neither!

Chloe O'brien
13-07-2009, 00:34
Denise admitted herself she had the surgery to flatten her tummy after having four kids, which isn't wrong and loads of women have it done. Is just so tragic that Denise never fully recovered from the operation and finally lost her life. It is so sad for Colin and the kids. Colin is a footballing hero up in scotland from all fans.

tammyy2j
13-07-2009, 11:43
RIP :(

This and Kanye West's mother's dead would put anyone off cosmetic surgery

Hannelene
16-07-2009, 08:12
It is sad I am one of those people that thinks if it ain't broke don't fix it!