PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 2009

tammyy2j
16-06-2009, 13:53
Is this Andy Murray's year or will Nadal or Federer stop him?

Chloe O'brien
17-06-2009, 11:26
Hopefully Murray will win this year he is capable of lifting the trophy as long as he doesn't make any mistakes but Federar and Nadal will be hard to beat, but he can do it.

lizann
17-06-2009, 11:52
Honestly i cant see him winning he might make the semi finals but that will be it

Trinity
17-06-2009, 13:45
Go Murray!

Nadel is injured, the Fed is the one to beat. He has already equaled Sampras' record of 14 grand slams and just needs 1 more to be officially the greatest tennis player, ever.

I will still be supporting Murray, though!

Perdita
17-06-2009, 14:40
Murray is capable of beating Roger Federer, no doubt. But I wonder whether Andy is able to cope with the pressure of a Wimbledon finale just yet.

Trinity
17-06-2009, 14:45
He has proven his metal by coming back from sets down to win matches. That is the sign of a true champion - not giving up till the match is over.

Mentally I think he is as strong as any.

Nadal is in a bad place, he has lost to the Fed recently, and then was knocked out of the French Open early (after winning it for years!)

Federer is still only 27 - he has won 14 Grand Slams and is back on tremendous form.

I would love a Fed / Muzza final!

Chloe O'brien
18-06-2009, 23:22
It remains unclear whether Rafael Nadal will defend his Wimbledon title after he struggled with his movement during an exhibition match on Thursday. Nadal, who has been plagued with knee problems throughout his career, lost 6-4 6-3 to Australian Lleyton Hewitt.
Nadal will now decide whether to play at Wimbledon after an exhibition match against Stanslas Wawrinka on Friday.
"He is having difficulties bending and it seems his treatments aren't enough," said coach and uncle Toni Nadal.
"I don't know [if he will defend his title], we have to wait for Friday."
The world number one was forced to withdraw from Queen's Club last week with knee trouble and underwent intense rehabilitation in Barcelona.
He was diagnosed with tendinitis in both quadricep tendons as well as a small amount of fluid on the kneecaps.

But the 23-year-old looked on course to defend his title after coming through a practice session at Wimbledon on Wednesday.
However, Nadal looked troubled throughout his one hour 20 minute encounter with Hewitt at London's Hurlingham Club.
In Nadal's first match since losing to Robin Soderling in the fourth round of the French Open, the Spaniard looked increasingly frustrated as he repeatedly failed to get to balls he would normally reach.
Hewitt challenged Nadal from the start, forcing him to save two break points in the first game before holding serve.
The Australian then managed to break to love for a 3-2 lead after three unforced errors from Nadal, and held his next service game to love behind a barrage of aces.
Nadal frequently muttered to himself in Spanish after missing shots, and often had to rely on his top-spin forehand to bail him out of trouble.
He had his first break point in the first game of the second set, but Hewitt saved it with a service winner.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

Nadal set up another break point at 2-2 with a good forehand volley, but Hewitt produced a forehand winner down the line before holding.
Hewitt broke again for a decisive 4-3 lead after Nadal sent a forehand long, and the Australian converted his second match point after Nadal sent a lunging backhand long as well.
Nadal, who beat Roger Federer in a classic final in 2008, has already said he will not defend his Wimbledon crown if he is not 100%.
And five-time champion Bjorn Borg has raised doubts over Nadal's ability to retain his Wimbledon title.
"Nadal is always a dangerous player because he is the best in the world - but what happened in Paris and then the injury, I am picking Andy Murray or Roger Federer," said the Swede.
"For Nadal to win five in a row (at the French Open) was a big goal this year. I am sure he was very, very disappointed when he went home after Paris.
"That defeat took him many, many days to get over. Nadal is saying he has got an injury, but he has to be fit at Wimbledon if he wants to go all the way, and I do not think he will go all the way this year.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

angel_eyes87
19-06-2009, 00:28
I want Nadal to compete, as I would like Murray to play either him or Federer.

di marco
19-06-2009, 10:11
i dont think murray will win it

Perdita
19-06-2009, 19:44
World number one Rafael Nadal will not defend his Wimbledon men's singles crown because of a knee injury.

Nadal, struggling with tendinitis, had problems with his movement during an exhibition match in London on Thursday in a 6-4 6-3 loss to Lleyton Hewitt.

And Nadal, 23, went down 4-6 7-6 (10-3) to Stanislas Wawrinka when he returned to the Hurlingham Club on Friday.

He is the first champion not to defend his SW19 crown since Croatia's Goran Ivanisevic skipped the event in 2002.

Nadal, the four-time French Open champion, had been drawn to play Arnaud Clement at Wimbledon on Monday.

Nadal was forced to withdraw from last week's tournament at Queen's Club with knee trouble and underwent intense rehabilitation in Barcelona.

He was diagnosed with tendinitis in both quadriceps tendons as well as a small amount of fluid on the kneecaps.

The 23-year-old looked to be on the mend after practising with Andy Murray at the All England Club on Wednesday, but the following day the Spaniard seemed troubled throughout his 80-minute exhibition encounter with Hewitt.

In Nadal's first match since losing to Robin Soderling in the fourth round of the French Open, the Spaniard looked increasingly frustrated as he repeatedly failed to get to balls he would normally reach.

Hewitt challenged Nadal from the start, forcing him to save two break points in the first game before holding serve.

The Australian then managed to break to love for a 3-2 lead after three unforced errors from Nadal, and held his next service game to love behind a barrage of aces.

Nadal frequently muttered to himself in Spanish after missing shots, and often had to rely on his top-spin forehand to bail him out of trouble.

He had his first break point in the first game of the second set, but Hewitt saved it with a service winner.

Nadal set up another break point at 2-2 with a good forehand volley, but Hewitt produced a forehand winner down the line before holding.

Hewitt broke again for a decisive 4-3 lead after Nadal sent a forehand long, and the Australian converted his second match point after Nadal sent a lunging backhand long as well.

Nadal, who beat Roger Federer in a classic final in 2008, had previously stated that he would not defend his Wimbledon crown if he was not 100% fit.

"He is having difficulties bending and it seems his treatments aren't enough," said coach and uncle Toni Nadal on Thursday.

BBC News

angel_eyes87
19-06-2009, 19:55
Its a shame hes not competing, because that injury sounds like it will effect him for the rest of his career, I dont think he will be able to play as good as he used to when he gets back to 100%

Hannelene
19-06-2009, 21:16
So sad that he will not be there maybe he has overdone this year thinking he was unbeatable. Maybe Federer will win the title back and reign again?

Chloe O'brien
19-06-2009, 22:57
It's a shame Nadal has had to withdrawn as last year's final was stunning. I prefer men's tennis to females as it is so much more intense and entertaining. It would be a brave person to bet against Fed and Murray not being in the final and I would love to see Fed win the title again but I'm rooting for Murray.

Hannelene
20-06-2009, 06:43
For me I think that mens tennis is better to watch they play more sets and the competition is better. Womens tennis hasn't been that exciting for many years I love the Williams' sisters but they have no real competition except one another as most of the female players are in it looking tor modelling contracts and sports sponsorship

Perdita
02-07-2009, 07:09
Well done to Andy Murray to get to the semi finals. It is a very exciting Wimbledon for a change. :cheer:

Abigail
02-07-2009, 09:41
For me I think that mens tennis is better to watch they play more sets and the competition is better. Womens tennis hasn't been that exciting for many years I love the Williams' sisters but they have no real competition except one another as most of the female players are in it looking tor modelling contracts and sports sponsorship

I agree. Women's tennis is ridiculously boring. There is no female contender for GBR and I don't remember there being one in recent years. The grunting does my head in too.

I generally don't watch the first round. Like you say, it gets better as the game gets more serious. I was on the edge of my seat on Monday night Murray v Wawrinka fourth set 5-5.

Hopefully Murray can win tomorrow's match and get through to the final. I reckon he can win it.

Meh
02-07-2009, 11:45
Murray to win. Thing I like about Murray is he thinks and plays like a winner. Tiger Tim was just average whereas Murray has that winners mentality.

di marco
02-07-2009, 11:48
i dont really watch tennis as it gets boring when watching it. murrays game on monday got really boring. i thought the roddick/hewitt game was quite interesting yesterday though cos it was so close, though i didnt see the end

Perdita
02-07-2009, 11:50
Roddick won, if you are interested :D He will be playing against Murray next.

lizann
02-07-2009, 12:02
Murray V Roddick semi final - should be a great epic match :D

di marco
02-07-2009, 12:03
Roddick won, if you are interested :D He will be playing against Murray next.

thanks. yeh my dad told me he won. was it close right til the end?

DaVeyWaVey
02-07-2009, 23:37
What a tense match between Serena Williams and Dementieva today. Either one of them could have one, I was on the edge of my seat!

Venus Williams had an easy victory though.

I have my fingers crossed for Murray tomorrow :thumbsup:

Meh
03-07-2009, 00:12
Another Willams sister final. Yawn.

Chloe O'brien
03-07-2009, 00:25
Women's tennis is boring and the Williams sisters are unentertaing to watch. Can't wait to see Andy Murray in action.

di marco
03-07-2009, 07:09
Another Willams sister final. Yawn.

thats exactly my thoughts. its so boring. every year you know its gonna be them before it even starts

Chloe O'brien
04-07-2009, 00:46
Gutted that Murray got beaten tonight but he just wasn't strong enough for Roddicks serve maybe next year. Rooting for Fed on Sunday.

Perdita
04-07-2009, 06:15
I would now like Roger Federer to win too, what an achievement for him

Trinity
04-07-2009, 06:39
The Fed all the way! A record 15 grandslams if he wins, how amazing is that!

Although I would have loved Andy Murray to have won yesterday, at least there are no divided loyalties for Sunday, lol

Hannelene
04-07-2009, 11:58
Roddick did it yesterday and I think he has a fair chance tomorrow.....

di marco
04-07-2009, 12:21
i think federer will probably win it tomorrow

Hannelene
04-07-2009, 19:14
I am so looking forward to this I didn't care too much about the Women's final today as we all know how good the Williams sisters' are!

Perdita
04-07-2009, 19:59
Still pleased Verena won against her sister, makes a change in the winner's line-up :)

Trinity
04-07-2009, 20:21
Did you see here tshirt when she was being interviewed by Sue Barker?

"Are you looking at my Titles?"

What class!

Hannelene
04-07-2009, 21:14
Serena played well she has brute strength for a woman!

Chloe O'brien
04-07-2009, 23:46
The Fed all the way! A record 15 grandslams if he wins, how amazing is that!

Although I would have loved Andy Murray to have won yesterday, at least there are no divided loyalties for Sunday, lol

Yeah we're not supporting anyone :cough: as long as that Yankee Roddick gets his butt kick :D

Trinity
05-07-2009, 18:44
My god - what a game.

I actually felt really sorry for Andy Roddick at the end.

It was so evenly matched.

Well done to the Fed!

DaVeyWaVey
05-07-2009, 18:50
It was a brilliant game - so so close in the end. Well done to Federer but my heart goes out to Roddick, who was just pipped to the post.

tammyy2j
05-07-2009, 18:55
I'm gutted for Roddick so hoping he would win - thrilling game

Well done Federer

angel_eyes87
05-07-2009, 19:03
That was the most amazing match ever in Wimbledon history, still think last years was great, but Andy deserved to win as he played his heart out, sometimes Federor comes across a bit too cocky but it was the most even match between the two stars as they were both as good as each other.

Hannelene
05-07-2009, 19:22
Nadal and Federer last year was better to watch

Hannelene
05-07-2009, 19:23

Well done Federer

I felt for him :(
Maybe next year?

Trinity
05-07-2009, 19:27

Well done Federer

Maybe next year?

No!!!

Next year is for Murray, lol!

Hannelene
05-07-2009, 19:29

Well done Federer

Maybe next year?

No!!!

Next year is for Murray, lol!
From seeing him play Murray is good but I hope he plays harder over the next year as I don't think he is quite in the same league as the top stars. He is almost there

Trinity
05-07-2009, 19:30
I didn't like Fed's jacket with the 15 in gold. I thought it was a bit presumptuous, but I guess we would not have seen it if he hadn't won.

His 'outfits' this year have been awful. He looks like the ghost of Sergent Pepper, crossed with some sort of hip hop artists bling.

Hannelene
05-07-2009, 19:35
Who dressed him this year?
He already looks odd facially without having him dressed in these dodgy outfits!

di marco
05-07-2009, 20:46
it was a good game, so close. i was actually hoping roddick would win while watching them play, i felt well bad for him when he didnt

Perdita
06-07-2009, 06:03
I didn't like Fed's jacket with the 15 in gold. I thought it was a bit presumptuous, but I guess we would not have seen it if he hadn't won.

His 'outfits' this year have been awful. He looks like the ghost of Sergent Pepper, crossed with some sort of hip hop artists bling.

Perhaps he has to dress in the things Nike provides him with, to ensure continuing sponsorship. But I agree, there are nicer things he could wear.

Chloe O'brien
06-07-2009, 20:09
What a game god knows how Fed's wife didn't go into labour watching him. Andy Roddick was a brilliant competitor and didn't give Fed an easy match that we thought he would.

Well Done FED your the best. :cheer:

Perdita
24-07-2009, 06:38
Roger's wife Mirka has given birth to twin girls, Myla Rose and Charlene Riva. Congratulations to them :cheer:

Chloe O'brien
24-07-2009, 13:24
Oh joy I didn't know she was expection twins. Congratulations to them both.