PDA

View Full Version : EXCLUSIVE: PC Tony stamped out of 'The Bill'

Perdita
03-06-2009, 19:30
The Bill's current longest-serving character PC Tony Stamp has been axed from the series after nearly 22 years, Digital Spy can confirm.

Graham Cole - who made his first appearance as Tony in September 1987 during an episode titled 'Some You Win, Some You Lose' - will leave the long-running series later this year after producers feel that the police officer "doesn't fit" the show's "new 'dynamic'".

In an email to fan site Stampers, Cole said: "How do I tell you this? As my official website, I have to inform the 'Stampers' the management have decided that PC Tony Stamp will not be a part of the new nine o'clock show.

He continued: "I cannot tell you how disappointed and disregarded I feel. Tony has been a wonderful character to play. They say he doesn't fit the new 'dynamic' so I have to be out of the programme before the big relaunch in November. I will launch the new nine o'clock format but then they don't want any thing negative within the new show."

He added: "So poor old Tony will be sent to training school, with the door left open to come back for odd episodes."

Speaking of his exit, Cole told DS: "I have had a wonderful time patrolling the streets of Sun Hill and of course I'm sad to leave. Tony has been a big part of my life for a long time, but I'm looking forward to seeking out some new challenges and enjoying life outside the nick!"

Executive producer Jonathan Young added: "Graham is a much-loved and admired member of cast. He has contributed an enormous amount to The Bill and we are grateful for his enthusiasm and support over the years. PC Tony Stamp leaves an amazing legacy."

At the beginning of this year, it was announced that ITV's flagship police drama was to be cut to one episode per week and moved to a 9pm, post-watershed time slot.

The show's relaunch is intended to allow 'grittier and more action-packed' content.

Last week, DS revealed that The Bill will regularly air in high definition from July 1.

Cole is currently writing his autobiography, which is due to be released later this year.

Nooo, he has always been my favourite :crying: :crying:

alan45
03-06-2009, 20:27
:angry: :angry:
B*****DS:angry: :angry:

I am absolutely disgusted with the producers. Tony Stamp is a great character played by an equally great actor. What planet are these cretins on
:angry: :angry:

Abigail
03-06-2009, 20:48
I completely agree Alan. Tony is one of the best characters on the show, he walks all over the younger coppers.

22 years of dedicated work and they do this to Graham? :angry: It's a disgrace.

no1abbafan
04-06-2009, 06:42
Its not right - they did the same to Reg Hollis - shame on you

Katy
04-06-2009, 10:57
:angry: :angry: Tony is the Bill! it will not be the same without him

Kim
04-06-2009, 11:05
I hope that as a result of this change the show goes downhill further and the producers see what a mistake they have made.

alan45
04-06-2009, 11:12
Its not right - they did the same to Reg Hollis - shame on you

In fairness to the producers though Jeff who played Reggie Babe had a few 'personal' problems which were affecting his work

Perdita
04-06-2009, 12:18
But they could have given him time out to sort his problems, say six months, and then have him come back. There was no need to sack him alltogether :nono:

alan45
04-06-2009, 13:35
But they could have given him time out to sort his problems, say six months, and then have him come back. There was no need to sack him alltogether :nono:

I do agree 100% with you there. In fact it was rumoured recently that Jeff was coming back.

Perdita
04-06-2009, 14:21
Not sure whether that was more wishful thinking rather than true, I have not come across any further comments/confirmation, so I guess he is not coming back. Especially now they have axed PC Stamp :( :angry:

Chloe O'brien
04-06-2009, 23:11
How can they think about getting rid of Tony Stamp. He is built in with the bricks. Graham plays Tony as a real policeman working in the community. The Bill are making a huge mistake axing him.

Perdita
05-06-2009, 06:56
THE Bill’s Tony Stamp is being axed — because he’s too old and not sexy enough. Actor Graham Cole was left reeling after learning the lovable telly PC he has played for 25 years is being pensioned off.

Bosses told him Tony won’t fit the bill when the ITV1 show relaunches and moves from 8pm to 9pm. Dad-of-two Graham, 57, said last night: “I am devastated.

“Poor old Stampy. I was told that I do not fit into the new dynamic. Why? The storylines are going to change and the actors are going to get younger and sexier.

“Who are they going to go to when they need an older, more experienced officer?

“Stampy” has become a legend at Sun Hill nick and has a fan club called Stampers: the PC Tony Stamp Appreciation Society. He told its website “the management” had decided PC Stamp had had his day.

He said: “I cannot tell you how disappointed and disregarded I feel. Tony has been a wonderful character to play. They say he doesn’t fit the new ‘dynamics’ so I have to be out the programme before the big re-launch in November.

“They don’t want anything negative, so poor old Tony will be sent to training school, with the door left open to come back for odd appearances.”

Graham, who narrated cop video show Police Stop!, has been a patron of ChildLine for 18 years. He’s also president of the National Holiday Fund, which takes sick and disabled kids to Disney World.

One London bobby said: “Stampy is more true to life than anyone else in the show. He’ll be sorely missed by the real Bill, as well as everyone else.

The Sun

[B]Who decided that then? I think he is very sexy and he does not look his age either. I hate it the way that tv shows seem to exist only with young and attractive people, the few overweight characters are usually made fun of or tend to be male actors, who are allowed to be chubby and bald. :angry:

Chloe O'brien
13-06-2009, 01:40
It's all very well bringing in young and sexy actors but can they act and can they relate to what a real police officers role is in today's society. Tony Stamp has been a valued and much loved cast member over the years as he has progressed with the changes in policing but he has also shown realism on what everyday coppers have to deal with. I don't think new actors will be able to bring that to the show.

Perdita
22-07-2009, 15:23
The Bill's series producer Tim Key has insisted that Sun Hill veteran PC Tony Stamp is simply 'being rested' and will not be killed off when he bows out of the show later this year.

Last month, DS exclusively revealed that actor Graham Cole's character had been axed from the series after 22 years.

The news came only weeks before The Bill's announcement that it was to switch to a weekly, post-watershed transmission.

Speaking of the decision to rest Stamp, the show's series producer Tim Key told DS: "The thing with Tony is that we knew it would be a very difficult move for a lot of people. We are hugely respectful of Graham and he's one of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet. We have every respect for his character, too.

"We felt that we'd taken the character as far as we could for the time being and therefore we're resting Tony Stamp. But we're not killing him and we're on very good terms with Graham and we're talking to him [at the moment]. He hasn't finished filming with us yet and he has some really nice material to take Tony out with."

He added: "The door will be open and we'll continue to talk with him beyond his exit. He's been a great ambassador for the show, but that comes back to what I was saying at the start [of the interview] - you have to look at the bigger picture."

The Bill makes its much-anticipated schedule move tomorrow evening.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a166527/the-bill-producer-were-resting-tony.html

alan45
22-07-2009, 22:38
Bigger picture my ****. Why dont they listen to the REAL fans of the show. We dont need any more dumb bimbos or idiotic nonsensical characters like the USELESS Beth Green and the ATROCIOUS Gabriel/David K*nt

Perdita
22-09-2009, 12:11
The Bill's longest-serving cast member Graham Cole has blasted the decision to axe him from the show.

In June, bosses confirmed that the 57-year-old's character PC Tony Stamp was being dropped after nearly 22 years. Series producer Tim Key later insisted that the veteran is simply being "rested".

News of the star's departure came following confirmation of the ITV1 programme's revamp as a post-watershed drama airing just once a week.

Reflecting on his exit, Cole told The Mirror: "As the longest-serving actor, I was one of the biggest earners and it's no secret that costs had to be cut.

"But I've spent nearly half my life on that show. What hurts the most is being axed after all that time so quickly. They've just thrown it all away - bye, you're out the door. It beggars belief.

"I'll walk around and feel fine, then someone will give me a smile or a nod and I'll get this huge wave of emotion come over me."

He continued: "I'm no different to all the hundreds of thousands of workers who have lost their jobs recently. I want to keep the belief that something else will come along. But the phone hasn't rung."

Cole also claimed that The Bill is less appealing to its loyal fanbase following its reinvention.

He commented: "Everyone from little kids to old grannies loved The Bill, but ITV seem obsessed with 16-32-year-old males. It makes no sense - those people don't even watch TV! The essence is lost. It's not The Bill anymore."

The police drama made its debut in its new 9pm timeslot in July.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a178523/axed-bill-veteran-slams-show-bosses.html

He hits the nail right on the head

alan45
22-09-2009, 12:31
Cole also claimed that The Bill is less appealing to its loyal fanbase following its reinvention.

He commented: "Everyone from little kids to old grannies loved The Bill, but ITV seem obsessed with 16-32-year-old males. It makes no sense - those people don't even watch TV! The essence is lost. It's not The Bill anymore."

Graham Cole has spoken for the REAL fans of The Bill. Its now become such utter crap that I dont even bother watching it. I have been a fan since it started and with a few exceptions have loyally followed it. The producers have totally ruined it by trying to ''SEX'' it up. They have failed miserably and in doing so have lost the huge fanbase that once followed The Bill. If I want to watch a cop show that is all based around one or two detectives then I will watch the much superior Shield and The Wire. I enjoyed the Bill because it showed the ordinary uniform cops instead of the gloryhunters like the cretinous Max Carter and Samantha Smug,:angry: :angry: :angry:

Tori
17-10-2009, 10:50
I have to agree with everything written in this thread. Changing the time was a mistake (I can no longer watch), changing the whole essence of the bill- from what I saw whilst I was at home this summer, it's just like every other show now; no longer funny, stories no longer have a follow up, they've changed the camera angles to sex it up, it's more violent: It's not the old 'The Bill'.

Chloe O'brien
17-10-2009, 23:13
Remember, Remember the 5th of November Tony Stamp's last shift at Sun Hill. I haven't watched The Bill since it got scrapped in Scotland as I can never remember what channel its on or its time, but from reading the posts on here it has gone downhill which is a shame as I was a huge bill fan in the days of Galoway, Burnside and the rest. Now many quality dramas are choosing to go for looks rather than talent to boost viewing figures. I'd rather look at Sargent Cryer's grumpy old face any day over Max Carter at least you would see some decent acting.

Hannelene
18-10-2009, 10:45
I haven't watched this in a long long time. I can admit the last time I watched it was when they had DI Don Beech. I loved his character in the Bill :)

It is sad to know that Tony Stamp will be going as you kind of always expect him to be around. I am surprised that he never progressed more in his police career instead of remaining at the level that he was at. That could of kept him in the show more then to just get rid of him for younger people who just look pretty but can't act!

Not sure about the show anymore it used to be good and now it just seems like it has been on for too long.

parkerman
18-10-2009, 12:09
The Bill's longest-serving cast member Graham Cole has blasted the decision to axe him from the show.

Doesn't quite fit in with: "Speaking of the decision to rest Stamp, the show's series producer Tim Key told DS: "we're on very good terms with Graham."

We're all with you Graham. Once you go, it's only a small step to removing Jack and bringing back Beth as the new Superintendent...

alan45
18-10-2009, 12:29
Graham Cole was seen as the face of The Bill. He promoted the programme particularly well in Australia where The Bill Has a huge fan base. Getting rid of his character I feel has put the final nail in the coffin of the programme formerly known as The Bill. The programme now known as the Max Carter show has proved there is no need for uniform coppers as Supermax is more than capable of dealing with everything.