PDA

View Full Version : Hatton defeated by slick Pacquiao

Perdita
03-05-2009, 06:24
Ricky Hatton suffered a devastating second-round defeat against Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas.

Hatton, 30, was knocked down by a flashing right hook in the first round before being floored again by a left shortly before the bell.

Mancunian Hatton was pole-axed by a huge left in the second and counted out with one second remaining in the round.

The victory confirms Filipino Pacquiao's status as the number one pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

For 30-year-old Hatton it puts his future in the sport in doubt.

Pacquiao could fight Floyd Mayweather Jr next
It was Hatton's second defeat in 47 fights, while Pacquiao now has 49 wins and three defeats from 54 fights.

Hatton came into the fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena as a big underdog, although few could have predicted the calamitous nature of the defeat.

Pacquiao, also 30, was fighting in his fourth weight division in as many fights, but his power was far too much for his rival, despite Hatton claiming beforehand that Pacquiao would be outmuscled.

The Filipino landed 73 blows to Hatton's 18, 65 of them power punches, while Hatton only landed with two jabs.

Pacquiao, who is now the owner of the IBO light-welterweight belt, stunned Hatton midway through the first round with three straight rights before Hatton walked onto another right hand with a minute remaining.

Hatton rose on the count of eight but Pacquiao continued to pierce Hatton's leaky defence with lightning combinations before putting Hatton down again with a booming left.

I think a fight with the winner of Mayweather-Marquez is a very good possibility

Freddie Roach
Hatton struggled to his feet but his legs had gone from beneath him and he was hanging on for dear life at the bell.

It was more of the same in the next round, with Pacquiao landing with two looping rights and a rapier left-right-left combination.

Referee Kenny Bayless warned Hatton for holding on the back of the head midway through the round, but Pacquaio was not perturbed, sending home a thunderous left hand that rendered Hatton unconscious before he had hit the floor.

There were some anxious moments as Hatton lolled on his back, but he eventually came round to hear only stunned silence from his thousands of fans.

He was taken to hospital for a brain scan, although Pacquiao's camp said he was compos mentis after being helped to his stool.

Pacquiao, who started life as a flyweight, will no doubt fight the winner of the bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Juan Manuel Marquez on 18 July.

Hatton still has options, although it would not be a surprise if he decides to bring down the curtain on his stellar 12-year career as a professional.

606: DEBATE
Have your say on the fight
Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach opened up the possibility of his man meeting the winner of Mayweather Jr and Marquez.

"I think a fight with the winner of Mayweather-Marquez is a very good possibility," said Roach.

"It's a natural fight and the fans would want to see it. But I think Mayweather is scared, and we're not waiting around."

He added: "If (Puerto Rico's WBO welterweight champion) Miguel Cotto wants to come down a few pounds, we can make that happen, or even (WBA welterweight champion) Shane Mosley."

Pacquiao admitted to being surprised that Hatton had played into his game plan.

The 30-year-old Filipino admitted he had no preference of who he wanted to fight next.

"I can fight anybody, it will depend on my promoters," he said.

"I'm just a fighter, doing my job, training and keeping at 100%."

Katy
03-05-2009, 09:36
I Still love him, i thought he were going to last longer than he did but sometimes one punch and thats it.

One RICKY HATTON!!!

Chloe O'brien
03-05-2009, 23:06
That's the thing about boxing it only takes one right hook and your out. Its all the public who paid money to see the fight and stayed up to watch the film you have to feel sorry for.

Katy
04-05-2009, 15:38
He has issued an apology to the supporters and all who watched. I think he genuinly believed he was going to win. Like you say in boxing one right hook and it can all go wrong.

Chloe O'brien
05-05-2009, 14:29
I think it's time Ricky hung up his gloves.