PDA

View Full Version : F1 hamilton treated unfairly?

Siobhan
02-04-2009, 13:36
This is to reply to Alan's post in the Grand National thread:

Alan, Hamilton didn't tell his team that he over took Trulli in the first place and Trulli started from Pit lane so he also did an exception job driving don't you think...

alan45
02-04-2009, 14:19
I agree Trulli did a fantastic job as did Lewis. I am however outraged that the suits who run F1 took all the points from LH and disqualified him from the race. It seems that no matter what McLaren do wrong or wrong in the eyes of the FIA they get punished more severly than anyone else. I would hate to think that it was anything to do with the colour of Lewis' skin but after the fiasco that was Spa last year I have some serious doubts about the attitude of the FIA.

If there was a dispute about Jarno Trulli's overtake of Lewis then surely the sensioble thing would have been to award 3rd to Trulli and let Hamilton keep 4th.

Siobhan
02-04-2009, 15:32
I think the whole point of the disqualification was that the FAI felt that Maclaren and in particular Hamilton misled the Stewards.. it was the stewards who disqualified them not FAI... and I watched this race on Sunday, Trulli was ahead of Hamilton so I was surprise when they said "hamilton 3rd" and then said "Hamilton 4th"... From what I gather, Hamilton told Mclaren that Trulli passed him but never said he passed Trulli first... There is stuff we are not been told and if Hamilton had misled the official, then I have lost all respect for him. Just my opinion.
And again, if they were in the right, Mclaren would have fought this tooth and nail but they are not pursuing it any further... I am shocked at the coverage on British TV.. it was "breaking news" about Hamilton getting 3rd place but what about Button in 1st having done a bang up job!!!

alan45
02-04-2009, 15:46
If yo ask me the whole episode stinks to high heaven!!!! Yesterday Toyota said they would NOT be appealling the 25 second penalty awarded against Jarno Trulli and today the Stewards reinstate him into 3rd place. Funny coincidence. If they had been so sure of him being right I would have thought that Toyota would have appealled Sundays decision.

Siobhan
02-04-2009, 15:54
If yo ask me the whole episode stinks to high heaven!!!! Yesterday Toyota said they would NOT be appealling the 25 second penalty awarded against Jarno Trulli and today the Stewards reinstate him into 3rd place. Funny coincidence. If they had been so sure of him being right I would have thought that Toyota would have appealled Sundays decision.

Trulli admits that he overtook Hamilton and said it was only after he slowed down so much that there was nothing else for Trulli to do... he was calling in after "new evidence" came to light.. maybe the race has been reviewed from all angles and they found that Trulli's statement was correct.. he didn't appeal cause he admitted he over took Hamilton on a safety car...

Siobhan
02-04-2009, 16:27
Alan, just got this comment

"During the hearing, held approximately one hour after the end of the race, the stewards and the race director (Charlie Whiting) questioned Lewis Hamilton and his team manager, David Ryan, specifically about whether there had been an instruction given to Hamilton to allow Trulli to overtake.
"Both the driver and team manager stated no such instruction had been given.
"The race director specifically asked Hamilton whether he had consciously allowed Trulli to overtake. Hamilton insisted he had not done so."

And this is the new evidence:

"a. Immediately after the race and before Lewis Hamilton attended the stewards' meeting he gave an interview to the media where he clearly stated the team had told him to let Trulli pass.
"b. Furthermore, the radio exchanges between the driver and the team contain two explicit orders from the team to let the Toyota pass."

Hamilton is lucky just to get a disqualification from this race, read he could have been disqualified from race this season.

alan45
02-04-2009, 18:07
Alan, just got this comment

"During the hearing, held approximately one hour after the end of the race, the stewards and the race director (Charlie Whiting) questioned Lewis Hamilton and his team manager, David Ryan, specifically about whether there had been an instruction given to Hamilton to allow Trulli to overtake.
"Both the driver and team manager stated no such instruction had been given.
"The race director specifically asked Hamilton whether he had consciously allowed Trulli to overtake. Hamilton insisted he had not done so."

And this is the new evidence:

"a. Immediately after the race and before Lewis Hamilton attended the stewards' meeting he gave an interview to the media where he clearly stated the team had told him to let Trulli pass.
"b. Furthermore, the radio exchanges between the driver and the team contain two explicit orders from the team to let the Toyota pass."

Hamilton is lucky just to get a disqualification from this race, read he could have been disqualified from race this season.
Thanks for that Shiv.

Siobhan
03-04-2009, 09:25
No probs Alan.. i like Hamilton, I like him as a driver but I have lost respect for him if he has mislead the FAI just to gain points...

Siobhan
03-04-2009, 12:47
Did you hear the latest:

The Englishman (Hamilton) said sporting director Dave Ryan, who has been suspended after 35 years with McLaren, had instructed him to "withhold information".

He was told to lie, to gain a point.. it is worth it?? he has totally blown his respect within the F1 circuit...

alan45
03-04-2009, 14:26
World champion Lewis Hamilton insists he is not "dishonest" after being disqualified from the Australian Grand Prix for misleading race stewards.
He claims Dave Ryan, McLaren's sporting director, had instructed him to "withhold information".
"I'm not a liar or a dishonest person," said the Englishman, who added the affair had definitely been "the worst thing I've experienced in my life".
Ryan, who has been with McLaren for 35 years, has been suspended by the team.
McLaren and Hamilton, 24, were found by the FIA, motorsport's world governing body, to have given stewards "deliberately misleading" evidence in a post-race hearing on Sunday.

I just wanted to tell of what happened and I was misled. I want to say sorry to all my fans

That evidence led to race stewards disqualifying Toyota's Jarno Trulli, who finished third in Melbourne, for passing Hamilton behind the safety car.
But after discovering that Hamilton and Ryan had provided inaccurate information about the incident, the FIA subsequently stripped Hamilton of his podium finish and reinstated Trulli to third.
Hamilton had told stewards he had not been told to allow Trulli to pass him when the opposite was true, a fact borne out by team radio transmissions.

"I could not tell you how sorry I am for the embarrassment," Hamilton, the youngest driver to become world champion, told a news conference after his opening practice sessions in Sepang on Friday.
"I sincerely apologise to the race stewards for wasting their time and making them look silly.
"When I went into the meeting, I had no intention (to lie). I just wanted to tell my story and see what happened. I was misled and that's just how it went.
"I want to say sorry to all my fans. I am not a liar or a dishonest person, I am a team player. If the team ask me to do something, I generally do it.

Row has damaged Hamilton - Brundle

"But I felt awkward and uncomfortable.
"This is not an easy thing to do, to step back and realise I was in the wrong. But I was in the wrong, I was misled."
The fallout for McLaren has been significant, with senior official Ryan, who accompanied Hamilton to both hearings with race stewards on Sunday in Melbourne, sent home from practice in Malaysia on Friday.
McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh said Ryan had not been "entirely full and truthful with the answers he gave" to the stewards and had left the team with "no alternative but to suspend him".
Whitmarsh added: "He did not set out with a deliberate intention to mislead, but during the course of the meeting he was not as clear as he should have been.

"He made a very serious error of judgement and is paying the consequences for that."
He said it was a "very sad day" for McLaren, adding: "It is a point of deep regret. For Davey, it's been a shattering day."
A contrite Whitmarsh also apologised to the FIA for the problems McLaren had caused.
"In my 20-odd years working for McLaren, I doubt if I've met a more dedicated individual than Davey," said Whitmarsh.
"He's been an integral part of McLaren since 1974 and has played a crucial role in the team's many world championship successes."