PDA

View Full Version : Neighbours fans campaign to get Harold Bishop a Logie

Perdita
23-02-2009, 10:56
NEIGHBOURS fans are uniting in a campaign to have veteran actor Ian Smith nominated for a gold Logie, following his 20-year run in the show.

Smith has played the role of Harold Bishop on the long-running soap for 20 years.

His final episode goes to air on Friday next week.

Ramsay Street fans have started a viral campaign on the internet to support Smith.

It is running through the neighbours.com.au website, and they are calling for fans to mobilise to give Smith, and Harold, a golden send-off.

There is also a Facebook group called I Heart Harold.

Smith, 70, has not been nominated for a Logie during his long stint on the show.

Following the Neighbours tradition, Smith's character moves to Queensland, where presumably he will cross paths with Charlene Mitchell and Scott Robinson.

StarsOfCCTV
23-02-2009, 18:19
I've never heard of a Logie! :lol:

He deserves an award though. :D

Abigail
24-02-2009, 02:31
Logies are the Australian version of the BAFTAs.

The 2009 Logie awards will be in the next couple of months.

LostVoodoo
24-02-2009, 08:28
he should get one. maybe not like 'best actor' or something but maybe an honourary award or lifetime achievement or something.

Abbie
24-02-2009, 20:08
he should get one. maybe not like 'best actor' or something but maybe an honourary award or lifetime achievement or something.

I agree, how long has he been on the show now?

Abigail
25-02-2009, 01:28

I agree, how long has he been on the show now?

Twenty years.

Perdita
30-03-2009, 19:39
Former Neighbours star Ian Smith has scored his first ever Gold Logie nomination.

The veteran actor will face competition from ex-Home And Away stalwart Kate Ritchie, who hopes to make it three wins in a row.

Smith, whose final scenes as Harold Bishop screened in Australia in February, was the focus of a very public campaign by Neighbours to give him a golden sendoff. Celebrities including Tom Jones, Rick Astley and WWE wrestler John Cena urged fans to vote for Smith as part of the 'We Heart Harold' campaign.

Ritchie's nomination, her third, comes a year after she last appeared as Sally Fletcher.

Smith and Ritchie will go head-to-head with six other nominees: Natalie Bassingthwaighte (So You Think You Can Dance Australia), Andrew Denton (Enough Rope With Andrew Denton), Rebecca Gibney (Packed To The Rafters), Adam Hills (Spicks & Specks), Simmone Jade Mackinnon (McLeod's Daughters) and Rove McManus (Rove).

Home And Away received seven nominations, including most popular drama and two nominations for Ritchie (most popular personality on television [Gold Logie] and most popular actress). Jodi Gordon also received a nomination for most popular actress, while Todd Lasance picked up a nod for most popular actor.

Newcomers Rebecca Breeds and Jordan Rodrigues both received nominations for most popular new female talent and most popular new male talent respectively.

Neighbours managed to score five nods in total, with Ian Smith recognised in the most popular personality and most popular actor categories. Dean Geyer is up for most popular new male talent and Margot Robbie received a nod for most popular new female talent.

Neighbours is also in the running for the most popular Australian drama gong, alongside Home And Away, Packed To The Rafters, McLeod’s Daughters and Underbelly.

Drama series Packed To The Rafters leads the pack with 11 nominations, closely followed by underworld crime series Underbelly with nine.

Perdita
05-04-2009, 07:08
Former Neighbours star Ian Smith has spoken of his surprise at being nominated for a Gold Logie.

"I honestly don't know what I did to deserve the nomination," Smith, 70, told the Herald Sun. "It is a very gratifying feeling and there is part of you that says I must have done something right.

"I just thank God that my ego is in place - because otherwise I would be impossible."

Smith, who left Australian screens in February, said he was open to film and stage roles, but was adamant his days as Harold Bishop were over. "I will never go back to the show," he said.

Perdita
29-04-2009, 07:58
Former Neighbours veteran Ian Smith is the favourite to win the coveted Gold Logie at this weekend's TV Week Logie Awards, reports the Herald Sun.

According to betting agency Sportingbet Australia, Smith, who left Australian screens in February as character Harold Bishop, is now equal favourite with Packed To The Rafters actress Rebecca Gibney to win the award for Most Popular Personality On Television.

Former Home and Away star Kate Ritchie is currently third favourite to take home the Gold Logie.

Speaking about his winning chances, Smith told the Hearld Sun: "Sometimes with the English language there are not enough words to describe how you feel

"It is big enough that I've been nominated. I think I would be terrified if I won. I would have to stand up there and make a speech and I'm no good at making speeches."

Recently, Smith has been the focus of a public 'We Heart Harold' campaign run by Neighbours to drum up support for the retired star in the lead up to Sunday's ceremony.

Perdita
01-05-2009, 15:29
Neighbours star Ian Smith has revealed his recent Gold Logie nomination has helped him with his anxiety attacks.

Last month, Smith, who suffers from anxiety and takes medication for his condition, received his first ever Logie nomination for his portrayal of loveable Erinsborough local Harold Bishop.

"I suffer from anxiety attacks and something like that (the Gold Logie nomination) affected me badly at first," Smith told the Herald Sun. "Then I looked at it for what it really was, and you know what, I think it is better than the medication I am on for my anxiety.

"I think it did a lot more for me. I am being serious. I think it is helping a lot more.

"People with anxiety, paranoia works into their lives a little bit - no one loves them and all that. And I can't say that any more.

"Win or lose this Logie, I have undeniable proof that people were kind enough to go to that much trouble (and vote) for me."

The 70-year-old, who is equal favourite with Packed To The Rafters actress Rebecca Gibney to take out the top honour on Australian television, added he was humbled to be nominated.

"I don't mind telling you, I shed a tear when I found out," he said. "I have been taken care of, I have been made a fuss of, the ego has been stroked.

"It is lovely, but gee I wish I was younger."

The 51st Annual TV Week Logie Awards will be held on Sunday night in Melbourne.

I never knew he suffered from anxiety, I hope he gets the Logie :thumbsup:

Perdita
04-05-2009, 06:10
Former Neighbours veteran Ian Smith has missed out on winning his first ever Gold Logie.

The 70-year-old, whose final scenes as Erinsborough legend Harold Bishop screened in Australia in February, was beaten by Packed To The Rafters actress Rebecca Gibney.

Both Gibney and Smith were equal favourites with betting agency Sportingbet Australia to take the highest honour in Australian television leading up to Sunday night's ceremony.

"Thank you Tasmania, I think you got me over the line!" Gibney said in her acceptance speech. "Ian Smith had England voting for him!

“I know we sometimes pooh-pooh the Logies but this is so bloody marvellous. I’m really, really thrilled!”

Feel good family drama Packed To The Rafters was the night's big winner taking home an impressive six awards for most popular personality on television (Rebecca Gibeny), most popular actress (Rebecca Gibney), most popular new male talent (Hugh Sheridan), most popular new female talent (Jessica Marais), the Graham Kennedy award for most outstanding new talent (Jessica Marais) and most popular drama.

"This is just proof that nanas really can text. Thanks mum for spending your pension," joked Gibney on her win for most popular actress. "I wouldn't be standing here if I hadn't been given this gift of a role, so thank you."

Smash hit gangland crime series Underbelly managed to score three awards for most outstanding actor (Gyton Grantley), most outstanding actress (Kat Stewart) and most outstanding drama.

Home and Away picked up just one award with Todd Lasance taking the gong for most popular actor.

"Wow, this is awesome," Lasance said of his win. "Thank you to everyone who voted for me. I honestly wouldn't be standing here if it wasn't for you guys.

"I appreciate what I do so much. Every day I wake up I get a chance to do something that I love, go to work and work with incredible people like my cast and crew down there, and I just feel so fortunate to do what I do."

Despite receiving five nominations, including two for Ian Smith, Neighbours failed to win any accolades.

Shame he did not win it, he would have deserved it :(

Chloe O'brien
05-05-2009, 14:48
I'm surprised Iain didn't get the award. He should have got it for all his years on neighbours.