PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Ban for Phelps

di marco
06-02-2009, 13:21
Michael Phelps has been handed a three-month ban by USA Swimming after the publication of a photograph apparently showing the Olympic champion using illegal drugs.

The 23-year-old, who won eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympics last year, issued a public apology after a photograph of him inhaling from the type of glass pipe used to smoke cannabis appeared in the News of the World.

In his apology, Phelps said his behaviour was "regrettable" and that he had "demonstrated bad judgment".

However, he stopped short of admitting to using cannabis.

Phelps has been backed by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and FINA, the sport's world governing body.

However, his national governing body has confirmed the three-month ban and the withdrawal of financial support.

The USA Swimming statement read: "USA Swimming has reprimanded Michael Phelps under its Code of Conduct by withdrawing financial support and the eligibility to compete for a period of three months effective today, February 5, 2009.

"This is not a situation where any anti-doping rule was violated, but we decided to send a strong message to Michael because he disappointed so many people, particularly the hundreds of thousands of USA Swimming member kids who look up to him as a role model and a hero.

"Michael has voluntarily accepted this reprimand and has committed to earn back our trust."

Phelps' suspension runs out in early May, meaning he will be eligible for trials for the World Championships, to be held in Rome in August.

He won seven titles in Melbourne in 2007.

The punishment was announced on the same day the 14-time Olympic champion made his first public comments since the publication of the photograph.

Phelps told the Baltimore Sun the intense public scrutiny has him contemplating whether to compete in the 2012 Games in London.

"This is a decision of mine that I'm not going to make today and I'm not going to make tomorrow," he said.

"It's going to require a lot of time and energy and a lot of thinking for myself - but also talking to (my coach Bob Bowman) and talking to my family and just deciding what I want to do."

Abigail
06-02-2009, 14:34
Why shouldn't he compete in 2012? He didn't break any rules specific to swimming and it's not like he was smoking crack. Lots of people have taken cannabis.

Trinity
06-02-2009, 14:38
I don't think he is being stopped from competing in 2012 - he is considering his position because of the intense scruity. My guess he may prefer to be a private person rather than public property. To be honest he has achieved so much in swimming already another olympics will most likely be a let down in comparison to 2008.

Katy
06-02-2009, 14:42
3 months, better than what Matt Stephens got from the rugby board from something similar im assuming.

Meh
06-02-2009, 16:25
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

What a load of ****.