PDA

View Full Version : ITV Miss Everton's Winner

di marco
05-02-2009, 12:41
ITV viewers missed Dan Gosling's winner in the 28th minute of extra-time against Liverpool last night because the broadcaster switched to adverts at the crucial moment.

As Joleon Lescott carried the ball over the halfway line in the build-up to the goal, ITV cut to a scheduled ad break, treating viewers first to a plug for cup sponsors E'On, then a commercial for Tic-Tacs.

Some regions managed to cut back to the action just as Gosling struck, but many viewers only rejoined the action as the Everton players were celebrating their goal.

Anchor Steve Rider attempted to apologise for the error at the end of the broadcast, commenting:

"Technically, it [the goal] came at a bad time for us as well. If you missed the goal, our apologies for the technical problems we had at that time."

That was the only explanation given until around 11.30, when ITV released a statement that read:

"ITV experienced some technical problems which would appear to be an issue with network transmission. We apologise for any interruption to the game."

It's not the first time that ITV's coverage of the FA Cup - for which they paid £275million - has come under criticism this season.

Supporters were clearly heard chanting 'ITV are f**king s**t' during the first round clash between Histon and Leeds (at which viewers were also 'treated' to the sight of a naked Histon player after the game), while their highlights package for the third round was widely derided for its inflexibility.

The broadcaster chose to stick with their pre-arranged matches, bringing extended coverage of Derby's win over Forest Green Rovers, while Nottingham Forest's 3-0 defeat of Manchester City, Southend's 1-1 draw at Chelsea and Hartlepool's 2-0 win over Stoke were given around three minutes in total.

Katy
05-02-2009, 15:56
I cant believe that happened! the liverpool fans were happy

Perdita
06-02-2009, 07:19
When I first read the headline I thought it had something to do with a beauty pageant :o :rotfl:

Abbie
06-02-2009, 17:47
I heard about this and oh dear

But thats the problem with sports on ITV anyway

di marco
06-02-2009, 22:17
yeh i hate watching sport on channels with adverts! couldnt they have waited til the end of extra time?

Katy
07-02-2009, 00:21
I wasnt like they had to wait for long, a whole two minutes!

di marco
07-02-2009, 15:52
I wasnt like they had to wait for long, a whole two minutes!

yeh exactly thats what i mean, would it really have mattered if they had put on the adverts 2mins after they were scheduled?! :rolleyes:

Abbie
07-02-2009, 17:19
I know what your saying but the truth of the matter is that they never know whats gonna happen with sport
If you ask me it should be but on a channel without adverts then things like this would never happen

di marco
07-02-2009, 17:21
I know what your saying but the truth of the matter is that they never know whats gonna happen with sport

exactly, which is why you shouldnt put in adverts halfway through!

Abbie
07-02-2009, 17:23

so it needs to be on a channel that doesnt do adverts like BBC

di marco
07-02-2009, 17:24

so it needs to be on a channel that doesnt do adverts like BBC

but isnt bbc the only channel that doesnt have adverts out of all of them (ie digital channels as well)? some sports get loads of viewers so i cant see the other channels agreeing to this, even though i personally prefer watching sport on the bbc compared to itv

Abbie
07-02-2009, 18:16
Yeah I know that but not everyone has digital, I mean I do and sky sports is always on and I hate it but even so not every as it so it wouldnt be fair then

di marco
07-02-2009, 19:56
Yeah I know that but not everyone has digital, I mean I do and sky sports is always on and I hate it but even so not every as it so it wouldnt be fair then

i didnt mean put sport on digital channels, i dont have digital either, just meant that dont all digital channels have adverts as well (apart from obviously the bbc ones)? so unless sport was only on the bbc and no other channels, there would still be adverts, and all the other channels that show sport wouldnt be happy letting the bbc show everything. if that makes sense

Abbie
07-02-2009, 20:16
lol yeah I know what you mean
and yeah they do have adverts but my dad watches it all the time I dont think they have adverts on during a match