PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood Series 3

Perdita
17-12-2008, 10:09
Torchwood is back - and this time they're mixing it up.

As you'll no doubt be aware, the third series brings with it some mighty changes. Not only has the show been upgraded from BBC Two to primetime BBC One, but for the first time the team will contend with one major storyline over the course of the series. The run has been shortened from 13 to just five episodes, but in a major gift to fans the entire series will be stripped across five consecutive days.

That's not to mention a few casting changes too! Torchwood producer Peter Bennett gives us a preview of what else series three - codenamed Torchwood: Children of Earth - has in store.

The title for this series is somewhat intriguing. What does it mean?
"Basically from a concept, we wanted to go down the children dilemma route. Because this storyline is a subject that's going to affect all the children of Earth, it was a natural title to come up with."

What's the plotline of this series?
"It's different to every other year. It's not a story about spaceships, but it's about a government that did a deal with aliens back in the '60s, and they're now dealing with the consequences of that deal when the sins of their past come back to haunt them."

What was the thinking behind switching to doing a five-episode serial?
"Having done 26 standalone stories, we kind of wanted to take this series to another level and by making it one story over five nights, we feel we've done that. It's big, it's epic, and it's very different."

It's also changed channels. How has the move to BBC One affected the tone of the show?
"Taking over a week of primetime BBC One is a big responsibility, and something none of us have done before. So we had to approach everything differently, from the way we storylined the series, to the scripting and filming, then right through to the editing. The script has a big cliffhanger and a few unexpected twists along the way. Telling one story has also given us the opportunity to have one director across the whole series, Euros Lyn, who's been incredible and taken the show to a new level."

It's been previously remarked that this new format represents a "resetting" of the show. Is that accurate?
"I guess so. This series takes Torchwood on a much darker journey, but it's still Torchwood. It's exciting, action-packed, and we've still got a lot of fun running through it."

At the end of series two we lost two of the regular cast, Owen and Tosh. How much are they missed?
"On set Burn and Naoko are missed, because they were a terrific part of the team socially and for morale. As far as the storylines are concerned, it's allowed us to see a whole new side of what's left of our regular characters and learn a whole lot more about their lives. Also we've got new characters, people like Peter Capaldi, who's fantastic as the government middle man caught up in the storm, Liz May Brice as a covert government agent and Paul Copely as a damaged man."

And are there any direct additions to the Torchwood team?
"We sort of bring in Gwen's husband Rhys (Kai Owen). He was always on the fringes anyway but he takes a much more active part in the storyline now. And we've got a new young lady who helps the team - I wouldn't say she's part of the team but she kind of helps them out. She's played by a new actress called Cush Jumbo, who's a very pretty young lady and who I'm sure is going to go on to bigger things."

John Barrowman has previously hinted that he might quit the show after this series. Do you think that's true? What do you think Torchwood would be like without Captain Jack?
"I think it would be very difficult without John. I've not heard him say he wouldn't want to stick around after a third series, so I'm not sure where that's come from. But he certainly never mentioned it to us or on set. It wouldn't be the same without him obviously. Captain Jack is a star in his own right!"

Are there individual episode titles on this series?
"No, it's just the one main title running through this year."

Who do you have writing this series?
"We've got James Moran, who wrote for the last series of Torchwood, and we've got a guy called John Fay who previously wrote all sorts of things. Russell was a fan of his, so he's come and written episode two, which is brilliant. Russell did one, John did two, James did three and then Russell did four and five."

Are you nervous about how the audience will take to the new format?
"Yes, of course. It's something none of us has done before so we're all a bit nervous of it. I've got the bonus of having seen the material we've shot and I can assure you, we've got some absolutely fantastic material with some amazing acting. It's stunning and I would defy anybody not to be impressed by it."

Where are you at with production on the series right now?
"We've just started our second week of post editing and we're in a position to have a look at our first episode. We've just shown our executive producers the first cut version of the first episode and this week we're hoping to show them the first cut of the second episode. It's a very very tough post schedule. We've only got one director, but we've got three cutting rooms running simultaneously and he's literally running between all three. We have to deliver the whole thing, with all effects and music, by March. So to do five one-hours is a real tough schedule, particularly because we've got so much amazing material. I'd guess we're two thirds of the way through and the last third is a struggle - but a nice struggle."

Layne
17-12-2008, 12:15
Oooh sounds interesting, although it needs to be on longer than 5 nights, what am i going to do without torchwood for its usual 13 weeks or whatever.

John Barrowman can't leave - they need to do more torchwood.
And i want James Marsters to return :cheer:
But yay :D

Jojo
17-12-2008, 12:51
I'm mixed on this.

Only 5 days of it, rather than 13 weeks worth - don't know if I like that or not tbh (more going towards not having waited a year for its return!)

We shall soon see though eh

Chloe O'brien
17-12-2008, 14:12
I would rather have 13 weeks of different episodes that just five. It will be all over in a week come on Beeb what's going on.

Abbie
17-12-2008, 14:43
:eek: what!!!!!!!!!!!! only 5 days! this is poopy bad news :(

kayuqtuq
18-12-2008, 04:54
I love Torchwood, but this plot line sounds like an X Files rip off to me.

Carol :cool:

Perdita
28-06-2009, 07:40
Bloody Torchwood! They've kept us waiting ages for their new adventures following the emotional overload of the brilliant second season. But now that the hankies have dried and Owen and Tosh are but distant memories, is Torchwood: Children Of Earth worth the upgrade to BBC One? Well, we've seen the first three episodes and it's highly impressive. Read on for our spoiler-light verdict...

The amazing opening episode 'Day One' hits the ground running, beginning with a mysterious event in 1965 Scotland before zapping forward to the present day and some possessed children. With the move to BBC One hopefully bringing in a broader audience, Russell T Davies's script economically and seamlessly manages to re-establish the show's trio of surviving regular characters for new viewers without alienating the existing fans. In particular, Jack and Ianto's hospital-based introduction - involving a very nasty hitchhiker blended with some light-hearted banter - is a delight to watch. Twin Peaks fans should keep their eyes peeled for a damn fine in-joke involving an estate agent too.

Evoking the great Quatermass adventures, the episode generates a terrific amount of suspense with the impending arrival of an alien entity on Earth. Just what are they, what do they want and why are they using the world's children, in a sequence of chilling scenes, to announce their intentions? Possible answers gradually emerge, although the second episode does shift the main focus towards the British government's devious exploits and a fight for survival for the Torchwood crew. Liz May Brice is compelling as the uber-mean bitch baddie who makes it her mission to scrap Jack. For a ruthless assassin, she certainly sets the pulse racing!

Creating believable and appealing supporting characters has been RTD's forte in recent years, and 'Children Of Earth' doesn't disappoint. A young NHS Doctor called Rupesh is a seemingly harmless addition, eager to please Captain Jack; a troubled man with a highly disturbed past called Timothy White, played by the ever dependable Paul Copley, generates plenty of pathos; and a Home Office PA called Lois stumbles across something very shocking indeed on her computer - a blank page of all things! All these characters are cleverly interwoven into the plot, although they might not all be what they seem.

At times, 'Day Two' does pale in comparison to the opening instalment, which bears one of the most explosive and ingenious cliffhangers in the history of the Whoniverse. But while the foot is taken off the gas and the various plot threads are not balanced well enough, the episode does allow us some precious time with Deputy Andy, Gwen's bloke Rhys, Ianto's family and someone very precious to Captain Jack - thankfully not his wooden brother Gray.

The fiery arrival of an alien visitor in 'Day Three' is expertly handled by director Euros Lyn. It's a lesson in establishing and sustaining suspense, as we are given quick flashes of what creature is lurking in the mist, accompanied by some horrific sound effects. The power of imagination really takes a horrifying grip while we wait for the grand reveal... which never comes! Well, not until the BBC lets us get our grubby little mitts on 'Day Four'.

Packed full of sparkling lines ("Have you gone bender?"), stunning twists, deep emotions dealing with Jack's immortality and some corking action sequences involving Ianto and a JCB, Torchwood: Children Of Earth is an exciting, funny and creepy enterprise over its first three episodes. It's not perfect, though, as the second and third episodes don't fully capitalise on the masterpiece that is 'Day One'. Despite many inspired moments, there is the nagging feeling that the plot is being stretched too much to fill time when we'd rather devour a Deep Pan than a Thin Crust.

Overall, the shortened third season of Torchwood looks like it's hurtling towards a thrilling final two hours. There's certainly an epic, global feel to the plot - bolstered by the appearance of a familiar American newsreader - and this feels like real event television and deserves to be a success. Just wait until you see the jaw-dropping revelation at the end of 'Day Three'. Someone's been a naughty boy...

Abbie
28-06-2009, 21:05
when is it coming back?

Chloe O'brien
29-06-2009, 00:16
Next week sometime there was a picture in the sun magazine yesterday previewing next weeks mag.

Perdita
29-06-2009, 10:38
The new series of Torchwood will air in Australia within hours of its UK broadcast, it has been announced.

The third series of the Doctor Who spinoff will air on five consecutive nights on BBC One from next Monday (July 6).

In Australia, the series will broadcast on the UK TV channel from Tuesday, July 7 to Saturday, July 11.

The US broadcast will use the same five night scheduling pattern but will not air until Monday, July 20 on BBC America. Torchwood will also help launch the network's new HD channel.

Perdita
29-06-2009, 10:41
The third series of Torchwood finally airs on BBC One next week as an explosive, five-consecutive-days event broadcast. To celebrate, we're going Torchwood-crazy this week on Tube Talk - as well as hints on what to expect from Children Of Earth, we'll also be bringing you exclusive interviews with the returning cast. (If you're not a fan of Torchwood, you may want to deflect your allegiance from Tube Talk to our downmarket sister blog Soap Scoop for this week only).

To kick off Torchwood Week, we present ten tantalising teasers (don't you just love alliteration?) about the first episode, which airs next Monday at 9pm.

1. Children Of Earth has a slightly terrifying premise: all of the children in the world stop dead at exactly the same moment and begin uttering the message "We are coming." All of them. And all in English, too.

2. The "we" is revealed to be an alien race dubbed The 456, not heard from in over 40 years.

3. In addition to the children, there is one other person reciting the message - a psychiatric patient named Timothy White. What connection does this have to an incident in Scotland in 1965?

4. Captain Jack and Ianto are referred to as "a couple" on more than one occasion.

5. As the episode begins, Rhys is looking at new houses for him and Gwen. But by the end of the episode, she has a very large secret she needs to share with him.

6. Both Owen and Tosh make appearances.

7. We meet Ianto's sister, nephew and niece. How will he respond to confirmed sightings of him on a dinner date with a man?

8. We also meet Captain Jack's.... daughter. Yes, daughter.

9. By the end of the episode, both Jack and Gwen have something inside them. Both items will change their worlds forever.

10. The ending to the first episode is probably one of the most compelling cliffhangers the Whoniverse has ever seen.

Trinity
29-06-2009, 13:25
When is this on?

I love Torchwood!

Perdita
29-06-2009, 13:29
When is this on?

I love Torchwood!

Next Monday, 9 pm :)

Abbie
29-06-2009, 20:16
Ooo I havent heard anything about it

angel_eyes87
29-06-2009, 20:20
Has there been any trailers/adverts for the new series, if there has I have missed them.

Abbie
29-06-2009, 20:25
I havent seen anything either, which is why Im a bit shocked

Trinity
29-06-2009, 21:07
Me, too. Thank goodness Perdy caught sight of it - I don't tend to watch tv unless I know there is something on. Series link on :cheer:

Kim
29-06-2009, 21:17
I've only seen something in the back of the tv mag about it.

Perdita
30-06-2009, 05:59
JOHN Barrowman is furious that the new series of Torchwood has been cut from 13 episodes to five.
The Doctor Who spin-off, in which John stars as dashing Captain Jack Harkness, was cut despite its popularity taking it from BBC3 to BBC1.

He told Radio Times: "We were the most successful show on BBC3, ever. We moved to BBC2 because the ratings were so good.

"The decision was made to go to BBC1 - and then we were cut. From 13 episodes down to five."

He added: "The five episodes are incredible. But I felt like we were being punished. It felt like every time we moved we had to prove ourselves."

But the show's writer and creator Russell T Davies defended what he called a "format change" and said: "Why not change it?

"I don't think audiences are lost by a change in format."

The Sun

Abbie
30-06-2009, 16:54
5 episodes is pretty stupid

Jojo
30-06-2009, 18:53
I don't like the idea of 5 consecutive nights at all.

We wait all year, then get a whole week of Jack and Co and then thats it for another year again - why not show it over 5 weeks even, not just one whole week, where I have things already sky +'d (Chuck, Ghost Whisperer etc) and not sure if I'm going to be able to sky + them too without them clashing.

Arghhhhh - not amused....

Abbie
30-06-2009, 20:59
Oh god! I forgot about the consecutive nights

Abbie
30-06-2009, 21:00
Oooo creepy after typing the above post the advert came on, first thing Ive seen about it!

It looks good :D

Chloe O'brien
30-06-2009, 21:18
The veiwing figures are going to drop a lot this year with having it on in one week, what are the beeb playing at.

Abbie
30-06-2009, 21:33
I would have thought that with no Doctor who they would really be wanting to make torchwood even better

gatermelody
02-07-2009, 17:19
This sucks.. it means i cant really watch it.. :(

I work at 5 in the morning, and have to be up at about 4-ish.. which means i'm in bed by 9:00 ish.. :(

Kim
02-07-2009, 17:33
I think this is going to be really good, until the 5 days are up. After that; the worst idea ever. I have to agree with what John Barrowman said about it being only 5 though; the overall air time will be a lot less.

Abbie
02-07-2009, 22:00
I know what you mean its like its good every night no wait and stuff and will keep me watching BUT then after that it will be like :(

Abbie
02-07-2009, 22:01

I work at 5 in the morning, and have to be up at about 4-ish.. which means i'm in bed by 9:00 ish.. :(

:eek: what do you do?

crystalsea
07-07-2009, 13:05
BBC IPlayer :)

Abbie
08-07-2009, 22:15
What does everyone else think?

I love it

Kim
08-07-2009, 22:17
I think this new format would be really good if they did two or three of these stories a year - making it similar in running time terms to the first and second series'.

As for the plot I am really enjoying it too.

Abbie
08-07-2009, 22:20
I love it being on every night with a long story like this, it works really well its just annoying that this is the whole story

gatermelody
13-07-2009, 12:58

:eek: what do you do?

I'm whats called a picker.. at asda. You order your food online and i pick it off the shelves ready to be delivered..

Bad Wolf
13-07-2009, 16:32
im catching up on this. one qustion- if things are so chuffing bad- where s the doctor?

Luna
13-07-2009, 17:07
im catching up on this. one qustion- if things are so chuffing bad- where s the doctor?

thats sort of answered in the last episode

Bad Wolf
13-07-2009, 17:19
oh!!! only on day 3

Abbie
13-07-2009, 22:22
I kept thinking that, I wonder if there will be a mention of this whole thing in Doctor who?

Chloe O'brien
13-07-2009, 23:15
How good would if have been if Mr Tennant appeared and saved Ianto and Jack's grandson. I thought he was going to when Gwen mentioned learning about him in history but it was not too be.

Bad Wolf
13-07-2009, 23:18
thats the one thing i didnt get- if things wer so bad the doctor would have turned up, martha would have cancelled her honeymoon and coe back to help

freckleface
01-11-2009, 13:47
Such a bad ending. garrrrrrrrrrrrr...
went up into the sky. COWARD!

they like ruined my favourite ever programme!
:thumbsdow

tho its likely they are doing a fourth series. its not been confirmed but they havent denied the rumours either.

I'm hoping this is a good sign and that jack comes back down to earth and finds like another risen mitten (L) and BRINGS IANTO BACK TO LIFE!

I refuse to watch past day 4. HE IS NOT DEAD!!