PDA

View Full Version : Merlin

Gordy..//
23-09-2008, 17:34
Did anyone watch Merlin on BBC1 on Saturday?

What did people think of it?

I loved it, and I really thought they'd chosen good actors. Especially Eve Myles and Colin Morgan

:thumbsup:

pookie1968uk
23-09-2008, 20:03
i was going to until i saw the clip when he called the other lad a prat! i thought, oh no, i dont think i'll bother!! dont think they called each other prats then did they!!?

Gordy..//
23-09-2008, 20:56
I can't remember.

I think he might have done but the language was quite mixed between how we speak now with 'yeah's' and stuff but it was also quite, old fashioned, if that's the right way way to put it, how they spoke in merlins' time. If you get what I mean?

Perdita
24-09-2008, 06:37
I only saw a little bit of it at the end, but liked it a lot. :)

Trinity
29-09-2008, 13:38
I have caught up with this on iplayer, and I am quite enjoying it. It seems like old fashioned Sunday evening family T.V. but on a Saturday.

I hated Arthur to begin with, but he is growing on me, as I suppose he is on Merlin.

DaVeyWaVey
30-09-2008, 20:56
I have been watching this too - I really like it.. a real good family drama for a Saturday night, though it reminds me of the type of drama that used to be shown on Sunday nights, like the Magician's House

Gordy..//
30-09-2008, 21:09
I have been watching this too - I really like it.. a real good family drama for a Saturday night, though it reminds me of the type of drama that used to be shown on Sunday nights, like the Magician's House

I agree completely, and Arthur's growing on me too :D

I lived the Magicians House :D

DaVeyWaVey
30-09-2008, 21:34
The Magician's House was a fantastic programme wasn't it.. always used to cosy up on the sofa and watch it every Sunday evening. Watching Merlin reminds me of this.

parkerman
03-10-2008, 14:12
dont think they called each other prats then did they!!?

Practically everything done and said in 'Merlin' was not done or said in the time it's supposed to be set.

It's a fantasy and as such makes for some good escapist viewing. I liked it as a piece of pure entertainment. I think if you start analysing it too much you will see many faults, but why bother? Just sit back and enjoy.

Perdita
03-10-2008, 17:32
I believe that your statement is true for most tv viewing - it is entertainment and escapism. People, don't take it all too seriously, for that you need to watch news and documentaries, and even those programmes are not necessarily an independant and true account of what has happened/is happening.

JustJodi
12-10-2008, 12:03
Since arriving back to Europe,, I caught Merlin for the first time last night, I quite liked it,,Michelle Ryan ??? well don't that beat all, I guess she did not "make it" in the states as the 6 Million Dollar Woman ???:hmm:

Trinity
12-10-2008, 18:51
Since arriving back to Europe,, I caught Merlin for the first time last night, I quite liked it,,Michelle Ryan ??? well don't that beat all, I guess she did not "make it" in the states as the 6 Million Dollar Woman ???:hmm:

I didn't recognise her with the posh accent and blue, blue eyes.

Perdita
18-05-2009, 06:24
GLAM Mistresses star Sarah Parish has gone from doll to troll for the new BBC series Merlin.
Sarah, 40, said her role in the show about the mythological magician is “a very funny job”.

She said: “I’m a nasty troll who turns herself into a glamorous lady of the court and seduces the head of Camelot.

“She marries him and takes over Camelot.”

Sarah has already lined up another role with a medieval theme in Pillars of the Earth.

The star, married to actor James Murray, has immersed herself in work as she battles against her grief over their eight-month daughter Ella-Jayne, who died from a heart defect in January.

Despite her own heartache, caring Sarah finds time to help others. She supports Headway, the charity for people with brain injuries.

Perdita
26-05-2009, 10:31
BBC producers have confirmed a host of guest stars for the second series of Merlin.

Pirates Of The Caribbean actor Mackenzie Crook, Hustle's Adrian Lester, Charles Dance and Sarah Parish will join the regular cast when it returns to BBC1 in the autumn.

Crook will guest star in the opening episode as Cedric, a "creepy" character determined to become Arthur's right-hand-man.

Lester will play the devious Myror, Cutting It actress Parish a troll masquerading as Lady Catrina and Dance will guest star as the sinister Witchfinder Aredian.

"With its combination of fantasy, humour and adventure Merlin has firmly established itself as a Saturday evening family fixture. It's great to be working again with the brilliant Shine team who have put together a thrilling second series," BBC executive producer Bethan Jones said.

Johnny Capps, of Shine Television, promised that viewers could expect a "bigger, bolder" second outing.

"We're thrilled to be producing another series of Merlin for the BBC. It's going to be bigger, bolder and more action-packed than ever, with great new villains, white knuckle fight sequences and hilarious comic fun for the whole family to enjoy," he said.

:cheer:

tammyy2j
04-09-2009, 14:19
LEGENDARY sorcerer Merlin is coming back to work his magic on BBC viewers.

The hit fantasy drama, which focuses on the young wizard’s friendship with King Arthur, was a Saturday night ratings hit for BBC1 when it appeared on screens last September.

Now Merlin (Colin Morgan, 23) is back with a bang.

Pirates Of The Caribbean star Mackenzie Crook, 37, will make a guest cameo in the opening episode of the new series.

Perdita
29-06-2010, 13:53
The producer of BBC One's Merlin has revealed what fans can expect from the show's third series.

Speaking to SFX, Johnny Capps admitted that Arthur is unlikely to discover Merlin's true magical nature in the forthcoming episodes.

He explained: “I think that part of the format of the show is that Merlin keeps his magic a secret, just as Superman keeps his identity secret - and I think Arthur not knowing about it is the heart of the show.

"Presumably at some point Arthur would find out, but I think that would be very late on.”

Capps also revealed that the fate of Morgana, played by Katie McGrath, will be explored.

“Within the first five minutes you catch up as to where our characters have been. Camelot has been very focused on the search for Morgana, and Uther has been very concerned about where his ward is." he said. "But when she comes back it’s very intriguing as to where her allegiances lie and what’s happened to her. She’s been on quite a journey.”

Emilia Fox, who previously appeared as Morgana's villainous half-sister Morgause, will also return for the new run.

The third series of Merlin will air on BBC One later this year.

tammyy2j
20-08-2010, 16:53
Merlin star Colin Morgan has revealed that new episodes of Merlin will be darker than past instalments.

He told SFX that the third series of the BBC drama will see relationships between characters stretched to breaking point.

“Bad things are happening," he confirmed. "The third series is set a year in the future. We get straight into the action and we don't really hold back on a lot of the confrontations, and the changes in the characters are evident right from the very beginning."

He added: "Friendships are being forged and broken and reborn and burned again."

However, producer Julian Murphy insisted that comedy will still play a big part in the programme.

"It's still a family show," he claimed. "We're careful about what we do. We also keep a lot of humour. There's a fantastic story where a goblin (played by Mark Williams) appears, which is probably the funniest episode we've ever made."

The new series of Merlin will air on BBC One in September.

tammyy2j
02-09-2010, 13:45
Merlin Ep 1/13

Saturday 11 September

7.25-8.10pm BBC ONE

Arthur (Bradley James) and Merlin (Colin Morgan) must save Camelot from certain doomIt has been a year since Lady Morgana disappeared and no trace of her has been found, as the fantasy drama starring Colin Morgan, Bradley James, Anthony Head and Richard Wilson returns for a new series.

Just as it seems all hope is lost, Merlin and Arthur pick up a trail. Set upon by bandits it seems they may perish but Merlin's secret magic saves the day. As the dust settles, a mysterious, bruised and bloodied figure approaches the group: it's Lady Morgana.

Camelot rejoices at her return but Merlin is worried that Morgana will remember the circumstances of their last meeting and tell King Uther that he tried to kill her. The King will not understand that he did it to save Camelot from Morgana's half-sister, sorceress Morgause's deadly enchantment; Merlin would be executed on the spot.

Morgana promises Merlin that she has learnt the error of her ways and repents for the evil things she has done. Morgause no longer has any hold over her and Morgana forgives Merlin and promises to keep his secret.

Uther and Morgana enjoy a tearful reunion. The King is delighted that his ward has returned and immediately announces a banquet in her honour. But is there more to her return than meets the eye?

As the evil magic begins to take hold of Uther's mind, Gaius urges Arthur to take command and Merlin begins to suspect that Morgana's repentance is not all it seems. Can Merlin find out what is really going on before Camelot is cast into the greatest peril it has ever known?

Smellena
11-09-2010, 20:31
ahhh why is morgana sooooo evil now!
i thought she would be quite evil but this is pretty bad now!
hrmmm

parkerman
12-09-2010, 08:37
All she needs is a moustache to twirl and we could boo and hiss her and shout "She's behind you..."

Briony
28-09-2010, 17:18
I am enjoying this new season of Merlin, but wondering what "dastardly deeds" Morgana and Morgause are planning. Morgana's character has certainly darkened over time.

The goblin in last week's episode wreaked some - ahem - "unfortunate" havoc on the Court, which would have put "Blazing Saddles" to shame! :rotfl:

Dazzle
29-09-2010, 16:46
Lol, last week's episode was really funny.

I've started watching Merlin this series and am really enjoying it. I wish I'd watched it from the very beginning.

Briony
30-09-2010, 00:58
I've watched all of the Merlin series. Initially, I wasn't too sure about the use of "modern" language (as I believe others mentioned earlier in this thread,) but it seemed to become less noticeable as the series progressed. :)

Dazzle
30-09-2010, 15:45
I hadn't even noticed they were using modern language. It's not that noticeable, not like when they did the same in Robin Hood - it really grated on me then. Mind you, everything about Robin Hood grated on me :).

Perdita
25-10-2010, 05:50
BBC One will air a fourth series of fantasy drama Merlin, the corporation announced today.

Following a strong following for its third series, the show has been recommissioned for ten more episodes, likely to air in early 2012 due to the rescheduling of Doctor Who.

Ben Stephenson, the controller of drama commissioning, said in a statement: "Merlin continues to perform outstandingly well against The X Factor and offers audiences an alternative treat on Saturday nights."

Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy, executive producers for Shine TV, said referring to the future plot trajectory: "We are both delighted with the continuing success of Merlin, and relish the chance to take the series to the next level with the long-awaited arrival of the Knights of the Round Table."

Starring Colin Morgan, Anthony Head and Richard Wilson among others, Merlin has had phenomenal success abroad, selling to 180 countries worldwide.

alan45
11-11-2010, 00:49
As the third run of Merlin nears its end, we caught up with Prince Arthur himself, actor Bradley James, for a quick chat about the series so far and what's coming up in the final four episodes. Take a look at our interview below for a few choice spoilers on episodes 10 through 13, and maybe even a few hints at what's in store for the future!

Can you give us a some hints on what's coming up in the final few episodes?
"The biggest hint I can say is that we always have great guests who come into the show. It's the best thing about doing it really. They come in and play these great parts, then get killed off and disappear. Whereas this year, we have some very important characters who arrive, and are very much ingrained in the legends themselves, and they have so much more of an important on the future of the story. We've already seen the arrival of Gwaine, who is one of the Knights of the Round Table. The thing I'm most excited about is easily the arrival of more Knights of the Round Table! The formation of that is starting to become apparent, so that's what I'm really looking forward to seeing."

Will Arthur discover the truth about his mother's death this series?
"He certainly discovers something with regards to the family. I think last year had the big revelation [relating to that] which was covered up in a bit of a P.R. exercise by Uther! This year, there's more family revelations, but I wouldn't say they're directly linked with Arthur's mother."

Could it involve Morgana and her discovery that Uther is her real father?
"Bingo! Yeah, pretty much. Of course, you then find yourself playing with the dynamic of how other people find out, and if people find out that Morgana knows, so that's played around with this year."

How do you think that will affect Arthur's relationship with Morgana?
"Well, something that's happened this year, which I think needed to happen, is that the reset button won't be able to be pressed this time around. Certain things happen that will change the dynamic of the show and take it in a direction that you can't come back from. I'm particularly pleased about that. I think it's fantastic and I think a lot of fans will be pleased about that as well."

Arthur and Merlin seem to be on friendlier terms this year. Are you pleased with that evolution?
"Yeah, it was very much important that that happens. Arthur can only treat him a certain way for so long! Presumably Merlin would have quit by now if he'd continued to be treated the way he was when we started off! The relationship continues to grow. It's an integral part of the show, I guess, with the focus being on Arthur's destiny and the story being told through Merlin's eyes. It becomes a very important relationship and I think it naturally has to develop so that audiences are aware that this is going somewhere. They're becoming the familiar characters of legend."

How will Arthur's relationship with Uther develop?
"Well, Uther is really the one thing standing in Arthur's way. It would be very easy for Merlin to fulfil his destiny just by killing off Uther. But I think it will be interesting to see how the show does deal with getting him out of the way. I suppose it's important to relay the fact that, in the legends, Arthur never knew Uther, so there's a completely different dynamic in the show. It's completely changed the characters and how everyone sees them, so they have different goals. But again, I think Arthur's relationship with Uther can only go so far before you've got to give him the elbow! I'm sure it will happen at some stage. I want to get myself on the throne at some point!"

Which has been your favourite episode this series?
"[Episode six] was a hell of a lot of fun to do. Also, when I initially read episode eight, I knew that was going to be a good one. I remember reading the script and thinking it was brilliant. When we shot it, we went off to these various locations and filmed these great shots. I have a feeling that episode will be my favourite of the series."

Have you been filming any special features for the first DVD release from the third series?
"The behind-the-scenes team seem to have come on to the set in spurts! I'm sure they'll provide the DVD with something that will please Merlin fans. That's been a great feature about the previous two series, so I'd have thought that they'll spice it up again this year!"

Perdita
25-11-2010, 19:45
Tom Ellis has revealed details of his character Cenred's role in the upcoming third series finale of Merlin.

The actor told What's On TV that the evil warlord will follow his own agenda in the final two episodes.

"This time... you get the sense that Cenred might be in it more for himself than you may have thought before," he explained. "Never trust a baddy!"

Ellis added that the show's heroes will be forced to battle an "immortal army" as the series draws to a close.

"There's a cup of life, a powerful magical artefact which carries the gift of immortality to anyone who drinks from it," he said. "Morgause gets hold of it... and, with Cenred's men, creates an... army to try to take over Camelot again and make Morgana the queen."

He continued: "There are some great battles to look out for. They are brilliant episodes and a grandstand finish to the series."

Merlin continues this Saturday at 7.45pm on BBC One

Perdita
26-11-2010, 07:57
The third series of Merlin is heading towards a thrilling conclusion, with the first instalment of a two-part finale airing this Saturday night. Eager to get the inside scoop, we caught up with Merlin himself, Colin Morgan, to chat about the final episodes, what's to come in series four and how it felt to look 80 years old. Warning - may contain mild spoilers!

What have been some of your highlights from series three?
"Definitely one of the biggest highlights for me was having Warwick Davis work on the show. I'm a huge Willow fan, so it was great to have him on it. There's also some pretty iconic moments that happen in the third series, but are still to come in the final two episodes. Obviously I'm aware of the Arthurian legends and I've read lots about them, but to see those iconic images being recreated was definitely a huge highlight as well. Of course, all the locations that we get to go to are brilliant. There were some new ones we visited this year which were just stunning. There's loads of highlights, but that's all I can think of at the moment!"

Is it exciting for you as the show introduces more elements from the legends, such as the knights of the round table?
"Totally. When I first started, throughout series one and two, I exhausted all the literature of Arthurian legend and Merlin. To be so aware of it and be working in that world, then seeing it all materialise, knowing that it's so rooted in history and that you're continuing this legend that's been retold throughout the years, is brilliant. It's hugely exciting. I haven't become complacent at all. I still act like a bit of a geek when I see it all happening!"

How was it wearing the make-up for episode ten when you were disguised as the old wizard?
"Brilliant. It was really good to get a chance to do something completely different and play a different character. I got a chance to have a bit of fun with that. The first time we put the make-up on, it took a little over five hours. Keeping it on all day, your face does feel a bit fatigued! But it's fun experimenting with it and seeing what you can get away with, knowing that it's not your face. Although I enjoyed every single second of it, it did feel good to have it peeled off at the end of the day!"

What hints can you give us about what's coming up in the final two episodes?
"Huge iconic elements from the legends are happening. You'll see the formation of a certain famous band of knights, possibly seated at some form of table! There's also elements from the past. Things that have been buried since season one are going to resurface, literally! You're also going to see the kingdom and those who rule it overthrown and taken over by a dark force. Camelot is in dire straits. All the heroes are forced to form a vigilante gang to fight against it all."

Will we see any returning characters from the show's past?
"Absolutely. Some characters who haven't appeared since series two [come back]. Lancelot's returning and Gwaine makes another appearance. There's also other characters from the past with an emotional link to Merlin. Emilia Fox returns as Morgause - she has a big hand in what happens. Tom Ellis, who plays Cenred, also appears. All the evil ones are coming back, but we've got some goodies on our side, as well!"

It seems like there's big changes ahead for the show. Does this feel like the end of an era?
"It kind of does. It seems like things would be completely different, going into a fourth series. Having come out of the crisis at the end of the final episode, Camelot's going to be a very different place. You see Arthur acting more like a king. Whether that means he's really on the brink of taking the throne, I don't know. But it's certainly feeling very close. Merlin is also going to be a changed person. It definitely does feel like once this hurdle is jumped, Camelot is going to be a changed place."

How would you like the character of Merlin to evolve in series four?
"Of course, this is a tale about growing up, and you never want your character to grow up too fast. Certainly the producers like to keep it as a slow boiler. I'm always keen to see Merlin making more mature decisions and that's something that they've been focusing on throughout the third series. He can't be as naive as he was when the show first began. He's been hurt too many times and been through too much. I'd like to see my Merlin taking on more of the aspects of the Merlin of legend, with a wise head on his shoulders. I'd like to see Merlin become less naive and also concentrate more on his powers. I don't think we've seen him do enough cool magical stuff. I want more cool stuff to do!"

Do you know yet when series four will begin filming?
"We start again next year, I think around March time."

Do you have any other projects lined up during the break?
"The film that I did last year, called Parked, has just been selected from the Torino Film Festival in Italy, so I'm going to that at the end of the month. I'll also be promoting another film that I did, called Island. There's nothing set in stone yet in terms of other work, so I'm enjoying my rest at the moment, having come to the end of the eight-month Merlin madness!"

Merlin continues this Saturday at 7.45pm on BBC One.

parkerman
05-12-2010, 18:50
I have just been watching Points of View. A woman complained that Merlin was shown eating tomatoes because there wouldn't have been any in his time.....

Get a life, dear!

Perdita
21-03-2011, 15:13
Merlin producer Johnny Capps has revealed that the show's fourth series will run for thirteen weeks.

It was announced in October last year that the fantasy drama would return to BBC One for ten new episodes.

However, Capps recently told SFX: "There was talk there would be 10 [episodes] but there will be 13. We were very lucky with series three [because] it was hugely successful and we built our audience throughout, so I think the BBC now sees [Merlin] as one of their most important Autumn dramas, especially for a Saturday night."

He also confirmed that the new run will open with a two-part adventure, and that the Knights of Camelot will feature prominently in future episodes.

"The knights are important characters throughout the series," he said. "They are around a lot. In series four, Camelot has changed to a certain degree. Uther is a broken man, so Arthur has to take a little bit more control."

He continued: "People are surprised that [Arthur] has given these people that aren't of noble birth the title of knight, so there's an interesting tension around him and his posse of knights."

DS

:cheer:

Dazzle
21-03-2011, 16:46
I can't wait for the fourth series of Merlin :)

Perdita
24-03-2011, 14:03
Nathaniel Parker has joined the cast of BBC One fantasy drama Merlin for the show's fourth run.

Digital Spy has learned exclusively that the Inspector Lynley Mysteries star will play Agravaine, the uncle of Arthur (Bradley James).

Parker recently appeared in ITV drama Injustice and has also made guest appearances on Lewis and Hotel Babylon.

His film credits include the role of Caspian's father in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and 2007's St. Trinian's.

The fourth series of Merlin was originally expected to run for ten weeks but it was recently confirmed that the show will return for a full thirteen episodes.

DS

Perdita
29-03-2011, 14:56
Merlin star Colin Morgan has claimed that the show's fourth series will air in the autumn.

The actor told CultBox that filming on the new run "started last week".

"It feels like, coming into the fourth series, the show's really taken its place in people's hearts," he suggested. "We've just got scripts for the first three episodes through and it's hugely exciting."

He continued: "It'll still [air] this autumn, either in September or October this year."

Morgan also insisted that the Knights of the Round Table are a "fantastic" addition to the series.

"The basis of the story that we're working on is so strongly established in legend, so it's great to see these icons coming through," he said. "The show has always been about taking the legends and showing them in a different and unexpected way."

He added that there are "huge changes" in store for Merlin in the future.

"I think it's clear that Camelot is heading in a new direction," he claimed. "The characters' arcs are starting to take their place."

DS

Perdita
10-05-2011, 19:10
Merlin producer Julian Murphy has confirmed that talks are ongoing about a potential fifth series.

Last November, Murphy first suggested that the fantasy drama could return for two more series.

He recently told CultBox: "We do have a general idea of what would happen in series five. We've always known a long while ahead where we wanted to go."

He also suggested that the show is unlikely to lose any regular cast members in the foreseeable future.

"I don't think we're likely to lose anyone in the cast that's key to our developing story," he said. "We know where we're headed and I don't think anything particularly will stand in the way."

Murphy also revealed that a number of possible Merlin spinoff projects have been discussed, including a cartoon.

"It's very early days, but there are thoughts and ideas," he said. "I think it'd be very interesting to explore. Something we've discussed, which would have to happen after the series had come to an end, is an animated series."

Merlin star Angel Coulby recently revealed to DS that her character Gwen will have a "changed" role in future episodes.

DS

Perdita
28-06-2011, 17:31
Merlin producer Johnny Capps has confirmed that Anthony Head will return for the show's fourth series.

Head, who plays tyrannical king Uther on the fantasy drama, recently landed a series regular role on NBC sitcom Free Agents.

However, Capps told SFX: "Tony is in the next series, and there are some very exciting stories for his character. [Uther makes] some interesting choices and some unexpected choices."

He continued: "Tony is an important part in the series and Uther's legacy is [also] important."

Merlin star Angel Coulby previously told Digital Spy that her character Gwen will be made to care for Uther in the new series.

"She's obviously no longer Morgana's maid servant, but she's been looking after the King," explained Coulby. "That's what she's been doing in the year [since series three, while] Morgana's been away."

The new series of Merlin is currently filming in Wales and France.

Perdita
25-07-2011, 07:09
Merlin has been renewed for a fifth series by the BBC, the show's executive producers have confirmed.

Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy made the announcement at the 2011 Comic-Con in San Diego, as part of the event's Merlin panel.

Capps suggested that the commission will allow the show's writing team more "creative space" and promised that future episodes will feature a greater focus on "slow-burn" character arcs.

The fourth series of Merlin is currently filming in Wales and France. Nathaniel Parker will join the regular cast as Agravaine, the uncle of Arthur (Bradley James), while Whitechapel's Phil Davis and former Spooks star Gemma Jones have also signed up for guest roles.

Johnny Capps previously revealed that that the fourth series will open with a two-part adventure telling "the story of Morgana's revenge".

"We left Morgana (Katie McGrath) in a terrible state at the end of the last series," he said. "She does quite an extreme thing [in series four], and it's the question of whether Arthur and Merlin (Colin Morgan) and the knights will be able to defeat her."

crystalsea
12-10-2011, 12:56
What does everyone think of the new series a bit darker, but Morganna is having doubts me thinks :)

Dazzle
12-10-2011, 13:32
I'm really enjoying it, though looking forward to more banter between Merlin and Arthur. I don't think Morgana's going to change her evil ways any time soon. I was upset at Lancelot's death :(

Perdita
27-10-2011, 11:49
Lindsay Duncan has revealed more details about her guest role in this week's Merlin.

The Alice in Wonderland actress will appear in Saturday's episode as Queen Annis, a foe of King Arthur (Bradley James).

"She's been the Queen but she's been with her [late] husband who's done all the fighting and being on the front line." Duncan explained. "So they mirror each other. Death has brought Annis and Arthur to the position they're in."

She added: "Both Annis and Arthur find themselves in a situation of having a great deal of power and having to take responsibility of that power without the experience."

Duncan explained that Annis and Arthur will clash after the death of her husband Caerleon (Steven Hartley).

"Her decision-making that could very easily be floored by the fact she's fuelled by anger about the injustice of Caerleon's death," said the star. "She's very, very angry."

The fourth series of Merlin has continued to be a success for the BBC, peaking at over 7m viewers and scoring the highest AI (Appreciation Index) figures since the show began in 2008, rating as 88, 90, 89 and 89 again over the past four weeks.

The fantasy drama continues this Saturday at 8.10pm on BBC One.

[B] Excellent show!

Perdita
27-04-2012, 06:38
The creators of Merlin have hinted at the future of the show's female leads.

Gwen (Angel Coulby) was crowned queen of Camelot in the BBC drama's fourth series finale.

http://i1.cdnds.net/11/15/cult_merlin_gwen.jpg
© BBC
http://i1.cdnds.net/11/37/tv_merlin_morgana.jpg
© BBC Pictures

"All the characters will have moved on a lot [when series five starts]," Johnny Capps told SciFiNow. "Gwen... has a very different role than she's had in previous seasons. When we start series five I think everyone will be surprised where all the characters are."

However, co-exec Murphy sought to reassure fans that Arthur's (Bradley James) marriage would not affect his relationship with Merlin (Colin Morgan).

"I don't think it will change the relationship between them," he said. "I hope it will make it a greater dynamic - three often shakes it up and makes it richer, and without it trying to, I think the writing will do that."

Murphy also promised that Morgana (Katie McGrath) will become "a stronger and more committed enemy than ever before".

"The stakes are becoming higher now that Arthur is king and the future of Albion is being created," he explained. "There's more for Merlin to fight for and more for him to protect."

N.Fan
27-04-2012, 16:34
It's about time Arthur knows that Merlin can do magic,hopefully he will finally find out in the next series.

Perdita
03-05-2012, 06:31
Merlin exec Julian Murphy has promised that the show will grow more "sophisticated".

The writer / producer told CultBox that the fantasy drama's young fans have grown up with the series.

"As happens with many of these things – I guess Harry Potter being the most famous example - you do take the younger audience with you and to keep them you need to offer more sophisticated fare," said Murphy.

The Merlin co-creator also revealed further casting details for series five, confirming that Alexander Vlahos will replace Hugo star Asa Butterfield as Morded.

"We're happy to officially say that Alexander Vlahos is playing the older Mordred," he said. "He's in a lot of [the fifth series]."

Murphy added that new episodes of Merlin are again likely to debut in the autumn, following the October 2011 premiere of series four.

"We expect to be pretty much where we were last time, up against The X Factor," he revealed. "They don't tell us for certain until very late in the day, though!"

The BBC recently revealed to Digital Spy that Game of Thrones star Liam Cunningham will appear in the new series of Merlin.

Perdita
05-08-2012, 19:52
The stars of Merlin have hinted at what's to come in a fifth series.

Colin Morgan (Merlin), Katie McGrath (Morgana) and Angel Coulby (Gwen) spoke to Digital Spy about the new episodes, Gwen's reign as Queen and the return of the dragons.

Morgan told Digital Spy that his young wizard character is in a "ruthless mode" in the next series.

"Merlin is becoming more ruthless, because he is becoming more solid in his beliefs," said the 26-year-old. "He's seeing things in a whole new way."

Mordred - now played by Alexander Vlahos - will also return to the series, with McGrath suggesting that he and Morgana have an "unbreakable" bond.

"You can't tell the story of Morgana without Mordred," she explained. "They are interlinked, they are entwined, and from the very first episode [of series five], you see that."

http://i1.cdnds.net/12/31/618x433/cult_merlin_morgana.JPG
© BBC

Morgan added that the reappearance of Mordred is "the biggest threat there's ever been" to Camelot and the reign of Arthur (Bradley James).

"Anyone who knows the Arthurian legend knows what Mordred is destined to do... so that is the biggest threat, that is the biggest force," he hinted.

Merlin exec Julian Murphy also teased the possibility of a sixth series of the BBC fantasy drama, saying that he is "not ruling it out".

"It's a possibility - we don't know the answer yet," he said. "There's conversations going on, but I can't really say any more than that."

Merlin series five will air on BBC One in late 2012.

parkerman
06-08-2012, 08:44
Morgan added that the reappearance of Mordred is "the biggest threat there's ever been" to Camelot and the reign of Arthur (Bradley James).

"Anyone who knows the Arthurian legend knows what Mordred is destined to do... so that is the biggest threat, that is the biggest force," he hinted.

While that is true, I'm not sure that the present series owes anything much else to Arthurian legend. It is also the case for example that Mordred is Arthur's illegitimate son by Morgana but I don't think we'll be seeing any reference to that! :eek:

Perdita
06-09-2012, 17:37
Merlin co-creator Johnny Capps has revealed new details about the return of Uther.

The tyrannical King of Camelot - played by Anthony Head - was killed off in the BBC fantasy drama's fourth series, but will return for a one-off appearance in the fifth run.

"Arthur's... having a bit of a wobble as king and needs some advice," Capps told SciFiNow. "It's nice because Uther comes back and is able to have those emotional scenes that he probably didn't have because he died sooner than he should have."

The producer also confirmed that Uther will confront Merlin (Colin Morgan) during his brief return to the show.

"He gets to play some key emotional scenes and he has this amazing scene with Merlin," Capps said. "They have a good conversation - a conversation that they should have had a long time ago about Arthur (Bradley James)."

In addition to the upcoming fifth series, a trilogy of Merlin movies is also in the early stages of development.

Merlin will return to BBC One later in the year.

N.Fan
29-09-2012, 16:17
Series:5 Arthur's Bane: Part:1

Starts 6th Oct BBC1 7:45 - 8:30.

When Merlin returns to BBC1,it's set three years after the end of the last series.Arthur ( Bradley James ) is now king,while Morgana ( Katie McGrath ) is imprisoned.Merlin ( Colin Morgan ), of course,continues to dabble in magic.

Perdita
03-10-2012, 15:30
Confirmed for BBC One on 13 October at 8.25pm to 9.10pm

Ancient prophecies of Mordred weigh heavy on Merlin, for not even he can sway Arthur from his chosen path.
As dawn breaks across the icy tundra, Merlin and Arthur are close to exhaustion. With each tortured step, the fortress of Ismere looms ever nearer and Merlin's fear intensifies. What game is Mordred playing? And what powerful secrets are Morgana and the druid Ruadan (Liam Cunningham) searching for amongst its twisted catacombs? It seems like this time, not even Merlin can stop Arthur from walking right into the lion's den… For in this bleak and transient wilderness, only one thing is certain: the great trial for Albion has finally begun.

Perdita
04-10-2012, 12:26
Ep 3/13

Saturday 20 October
7.45-8.30pm
BBC ONE

When a stranger gives Arthur the power to summon the dead, the king finds himself torn between head and heart.
Unable to resist temptation, he seizes the chance to speak to the person he misses most – his father, Uther Pendragon (Anthony Head). But the spirit world is a dark and dangerous place, for little does Arthur realise that his decision comes at a terrible price. Against all odds, Merlin must put right Arthur's mistake before Camelot, and everything they have built, is destroyed forever.

Perdita
11-10-2012, 10:00
Following last week's shocking cliffhanger, Mordred (Alexander Vlahos) steps back into the fray as series five of Merlin continues this Saturday - but is the druid a friend or foe of Camelot?

Meanwhile, Ruadan (Liam Cunningham) plots to save his daughter Sefa (Sophie Rundle) from her fate and Morgana (Katie McGrath) grows increasingly deranged in her quest to destroy the Pendragon name once and for all. The great trial for Albion is about to begin...

Merlin continues on BBC One this Saturday (October 13) at 8.25pm.

1. We get a glimpse at the mysterious fate that befell Morgana between this series and the last...

2. Plus, a lingering plot thread from the series four finale is addressed.

3. "You fear me, Emrys, don't you?"

4. "I love your optimism!"

5. Merlin (Colin Morgan) and Arthur (Bradley James) take a leap of faith.

6. "I do not have such powers."

7. The late Uther gets a mention.

8. "Your bravery is matched only by your stupidity."

9. There's a scene that recalls classic prison flick The Shawshank Redemption.

10. "I told you - you should have killed him when you had the chance."

Perdita
24-10-2012, 20:02
Prepare yourself for some family drama in this week's episode of Merlin, as Arthur (Bradley James) learns that his old nemesis Odin (Fintan McKeown) - the tyrant responsible for Uther's death - is back on the scene. Will the King's judgement be affected by his thirst for revenge?

Meanwhile, Morgana (Katie McGrath) is hatching another devious scheme using Arthur's one-time fiancée Princess Mithian (Janet Montgomery) to lure Camelot's monarch into a deadly trap. Only Merlin (Colin Morgan) senses trouble, but can he save the king of Camelot alone?

Merlin continues on BBC One this Saturday (October 27) at 8.20pm.

1. The vicious Morgana gets a little Darth Vader on someone's ass!

2. "You should choose your allies more carefully."

3. Gwen (Angel Coulby) questions Arthur's motives.

4. "Did you just give me an order?!"

5. After his all-too brief appearance last episode, Mordred (Alexander Vlahos) is completely absent this week.

6. "I would not test me if I were you."

7. Merlin receives some rock-solid intel.

8. "Here I am - two legs, two arms, my own teeth."

9. Someone rather surprising displays their skill at swordplay.

10. "Don't make me do that again - I'm not sure my heart can take it."

Perdita
25-10-2012, 14:43
Ep 6/13

Saturday 10 November
8.20-9.05am
BBC ONE

When Gwen is snatched from Camelot without warning, Merlin knows there can be only one person responsible: Morgana.
Arthur is determined to rescue his Queen – but it's not going to be easy, for she is locked in the Dark Tower, a place that haunts the dreams of men.

Arthur and his Knights must embark on a quest like no other, battling through a landscape riddled with hidden dangers, perilous obstacles and magical beings. As they near their goal, Merlin's sense of dread reaches breaking point. What twisted game is Morgana playing? And more importantly, just what is the final test that awaits them in the tower?

N.Fan
25-10-2012, 15:35
With Arthur using magic last episode to bring his father back,it's about time Merlin told him about his magic.

Perdita
01-11-2012, 13:19
Ep 7/13

Saturday 17 November
8.05-8.50pm
BBC ONE

Darkness steals into the very heart of Camelot, as Morgana and her puppet Queen hatch a sinister plan to murder the King.
But when stable hand Tyr Seward becomes caught in the crossfire, he threatens to ruin everything… As the plot thickens and reaches its deadly climax, can a suspicious Merlin unravel the truth before it’s too late?

parkerman
01-11-2012, 18:35
can a suspicious Merlin unravel the truth before it’s too late?

I think we all know the answer to that! :)

Perdita
01-11-2012, 18:49

I don't :nono: :lol:

Perdita
01-11-2012, 18:49

I don't :nono: :lol:

Perdita
06-11-2012, 10:42
Ep 8/13

Saturday 24 November
8.00-8.45pm
BBC ONE

When Merlin agrees to help a young Druid boy, he has no choice but to leave Camelot on a dangerous mission.
And with the citadel distracted by the visit of the fearsome Sarrum of Amata, it seems that no one will notice his absence.

But as the sky darkens, so do Merlin's suspicions - is there more to Daegal than meets the eye? And can a man as ruthless as the Sarrum ever really be trusted? Too late, the young warlock realises he's made a terrible mistake.

N.Fan
06-11-2012, 15:53
I would have thought Merlin would have changed his clothes by now,he's been wearing the same ones since the first series.

Perdita
12-11-2012, 10:56
Ep 9/13

Saturday 1 December
7.50-8.35pm
BBC ONE

Merlin knows he must act fast before Morgana’s twisted control over Gwen gets further out of hand.
But only the most powerful magic can save the Queen and this will not be easy, even for Merlin. As the High Priestess tightens her grip on Camelot, one thing is clear - she will not give up her puppet without a fight.

N.Fan
12-11-2012, 14:52
This series dosen't seem quite as good as previous series's.

Perdita
15-11-2012, 12:36
Ep 10/13

Saturday 8 December
8.00-8.45pm
BBC ONE

Morgana leads a terrifying manhunt in pursuit her old foe Alator of the Catha (Gary Lewis), for she knows without doubt that he can tell her exactly where to find Emrys.
Merlin’s life has never been in more danger, so when the mysterious Finna (Sorcha Cusack) offers to help him, is he right to trust her? Or will he find himself cornered with nowhere to run?

Perdita
21-11-2012, 11:43
Ep 11/13

Saturday 15 December
8.00-8.45pm
BBC ONE

Mordred finds himself torn between loyalty and love, but little does he realise that the path he chooses will shape Camelot's destiny.
As the drums of war beat ever louder, a desperate Merlin feels trapped by the cruel circle of fate - is he powerless to stop his dreams of Albion from crumbling to dust?

Perdita
26-11-2012, 14:13
Merlin is to end after the current series, it has been announced.

The hit BBC One show will bow out with a two-part special, airing this Christmas.

Co-creators and executive producers Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy confirmed in a statement that the fifth series of the show would be its last, saying: "This is the series where the storylines truly reach their apex.

"We always felt the story of the legend was best told across five series, leading to a spectacular finale that draws on the best known elements of this much-loved story and brings to a conclusion the battle for Camelot.

"We'd like to thank the amazing cast and crew for their professionalism and dedication, the BBC, FME and all of our partners globally for their incredible support and encouragement across the last five series. But chiefly, our thanks go to Merlin's remarkable and loyal audience around the world for their enthusiasm for the characters and Camelot universe."

BBC One controller Danny Cohen said: "Merlin's mix of magic, adventure and humour quickly became a hit with BBC One audiences and has continued to thrill families over the last five years on Saturday nights. I admire the creators' decision to end Merlin on a high, but also know that we will miss it in the BBC One schedule.

"On behalf of BBC One I would like to thank Shine and all those involved in the making of the show both on and off screen. I hope fans will tune in over the coming weeks to see the spectacularly dramatic final episodes, and we have ambitious plans for new drama in the Saturday evening slot in 2013."

Merlin's final series is currently airing on BBC One on Saturday.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s53/merlin/news/a440704/merlin-to-end-after-series-five.html#ixzz2DL1447Vl

Perdita
04-12-2012, 20:31
Ep 13/13

Monday 24 December
8.15-9.00pm
BBC ONE

And so it seems the Prophets did not lie. As the great battle rages on Camlann's mighty plain, Merlin faces his moment of destiny.
Can he find the strength to save the man he made a King; the Camelot they fought to build; and the brotherhood they shared?

Don't miss the very last episode of Merlin as the legend draws to a spectacular and emotional end.

Perdita
04-12-2012, 20:44
Ep 12/13

Saturday 22 December
7.55-8.40pm
BBC ONE

High in the mountains a great horde gathers; Morgana prepares for war with a vengeful Mordred at her side.
Merlin feels the weight of his destiny like never before as the ancient prophecies play out with terrifying accuracy. But before he can save his beloved Camelot, he must save himself. For it is not just the kingdom Morgana wishes to destroy – it is also Emrys.

Do not miss this penultimate episode in the epic final series of Merlin.

Perdita
12-12-2012, 18:04
Merlin star Alexander Vlahos has praised the show's final episodes.

Vlahos - who assumed the role of Mordred for the BBC fantasy drama's final series - revealed that he is "happy" with how the finale "ties the five years together".

http://i2.cdnds.net/12/48/618x388/cult_merlin_s05_e09_2.jpg
© BBC / Shine

In a Radio Times web-chat, the actor said: "I am happy with the ending. The scripts are very powerful, heartfelt and brutally honest. It... honours the fans and the legend."

The 24-year-old added that he was "a little surprised with some aspects of the ending" - which will air on BBC One on Christmas Eve.

"But I think that was because... the writers have been brave in what they want to achieve with it," he explained.

Merlin's Katie McGrath (Morgana) recently told Digital Spy that the show's final two-parter "really answer all the questions that have been posed throughout the past five years" while Bradley James (Arthur) also told DS that he was "happy" with how the series ends.

Merlin continues this Saturday at 8.15pm on BBC One with new episode 'The Drawing of the Dark'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JzXqPnOr7mg

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s53/merlin/news/a444719/merlin-star-alexander-vlahos-final-episodes-are-powerful-brutal.html#ixzz2ErVTNUZB

tammyy2j
24-12-2012, 21:01
Quite a sad ending