PDA

View Full Version : olympics

Bad Wolf
07-08-2008, 23:43
anyone going to bother watching??????

my mate said we have quite a good chance of some medals this year?????

Abigail
07-08-2008, 23:45
I like watching the gymnastics and althletics. The rest don't bother me at all.

Which broadcasters are showing the olympics this time?

Bad Wolf
07-08-2008, 23:47
the bbc i think has it all

i like the gymnastics and the diving its allways worth a look just incase somone messes it up and bellyflops - im so mean

Abigail
07-08-2008, 23:50
Yeah, that's part of the reason why I watch it, just to see who falls off the beam or hurts themselves :D

Bad Wolf
07-08-2008, 23:55
why is injury so funny especially in major sport competitions???? like when fotballers fall over their laces and cry, makes me cry tears of laughter...

Abigail
07-08-2008, 23:59
I dunno. Maybe because I'm sat at home watching them sweat in the heat and perform in front of millions of people :lol: Pressure must be immense not to fall over or have an accident.

Bad Wolf
08-08-2008, 00:01
paula radcliffe had another type of accident - that was more squemish than funny tho

Katy
08-08-2008, 07:46
that was horrible! I might watch a bit, i like the sailing and the athletics.

Siobhan
08-08-2008, 09:39
I will just watch the gymnastics..

Abi
08-08-2008, 12:52
I love the olympics. I love the running and the swimming, mainly. There is an American swimmer this year who is 40-something. She's someone to look out for, i think.

Jojo
08-08-2008, 14:08
I'm watching the opening ceremony at the moment and will be watching the diving definitely for Tom Daley who is from down this way and is only 14.

I also love watching the athletics, and I should imagine it will on at least one of our telly's for the duration.

Bryan
08-08-2008, 18:50
i can't watch it, it's too nerve-wracking, i have a really bad feeling something is going to happen this year...

Abigail
08-08-2008, 19:14
i can't watch it, it's too nerve-wracking, i have a really bad feeling something is going to happen this year...

It's taking place in China where there have been lots of problems recently. Last week there was a terrorist attack in a Chinese city. Russia have declared war on Georgia today (deliberate methinks). What with China's appalling human rights situation, this is going to be interesting to watch.

At the moment, I don't think China should have been allowed to host the games. There's been loads of problems with human rights in Tibet and Burma and millions of people were evicted from their homes to build the Olympic stadia.

Abi
08-08-2008, 20:01

It's taking place in China where there have been lots of problems recently. Last week there was a terrorist attack in a Chinese city. Russia have declared war on Georgia today (deliberate methinks). What with China's appalling human rights situation, this is going to be interesting to watch.

At the moment, I don't think China should have been allowed to host the games. There's been loads of problems with human rights in Tibet and Burma and millions of people were evicted from their homes to build the Olympic stadia.

Thats a bit harsh. Whatever country it is, there is bound to be issues surrounding it. London in 2012 - There'll be backlash about Iraq. Madrid are bidding for 2016 and Barcelona held it in 1992 - They have had their fair share of problems with terrorism. If New York had won it, again, Iraq.

I'm not going to let their issues stop me watching the Olympics. Something might happen, but i might get run over by a car tomorrow - Its not going to stop me going out.

Chloe O'brien
09-08-2008, 00:39
I watched the opening ceromony and will be watching the athletics mainly.

Katy
09-08-2008, 09:59
I think they did a cracking opening ceromny, some spectacular things.

saw some of the sailing this morning. Yngling Crew did well Sarah something was the helm as theres no shirley robinson. And Ben Ainslie is 10th in the Finn and the Irish lad John someone is 22nd i think. Some good sailing.

Saw a bit of the rowing this morning as well i can't believe how fast they go!

di marco
09-08-2008, 17:09
i missed the opening ceremony, might try and see it on iplayer. i might watch some of the olympics, i like watching the gymnastics though

Abbie
09-08-2008, 17:48
Im watching it over here, they go crazy for it here! And I saw an advert where they said " We're all over the olympics!"

Kim
09-08-2008, 20:16
I only saw a few minutes of the opening but I like watching some of the events. My mum told me about the 14 year old when she was asking about my friend, who wants to do the swimming. I think she's aiming for the 2012 ones.

Perdita
12-08-2008, 14:47
I am happy just watching the news with the results, can´t be bothered to actually watch anything live, it is on too late anyway with the time difference.

Siobhan
12-08-2008, 14:57
this has upset my view of the olympics

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/2545387/Beijing-Olympics-Faking-scandal-over-girl-who-sang-in-opening-ceremony.html

Abbie
13-08-2008, 02:52
Very interesting watching the Mens team olympics last night

di marco
13-08-2008, 12:18
I am happy just watching the news with the results, can´t be bothered to actually watch anything live, it is on too late anyway with the time difference.

i agree about the lateness, i noticed it was on the bbc from 2am - 6am, arent most people in bed at that time lol! i know it cant be helped cos of the time difference

lizann
13-08-2008, 19:56
Michael Phelps is Mr Olympics :heart:

Abbie
14-08-2008, 02:14
Michael Phelps is Mr Olympics :heart:

I know!!!! He liks the only thing on the TV over here

Abi
22-08-2008, 12:09
I'm watching the opening ceremony at the moment and will be watching the diving definitely for Tom Daley who is from down this way and is only 14.

I also love watching the athletics, and I should imagine it will on at least one of our telly's for the duration.

You probably already know, but he's going to do his individual 10m diving at some point today. They said it would be midday, but they are covering Boxing at the minute. It might be up next after this.

Jojo
22-08-2008, 12:11
Its on live stream on BBCi from 1430 but I'm watching live results coming through from the official Bejing Olympics website :D :D

He hasn't dived yet - he's 23rd to go, but Pete Waterfield has done his first dive and is currently 3rd, but a long way to go yet.

Abi
22-08-2008, 12:12
Its on live stream on BBCi from 1430 but I'm watching live results coming through from the official Bejing Olympics website :D :D

He hasn't dived yet - he's 23rd to go, but Pete Waterfield has done his first dive and is currently 3rd, but a long way to go yet.

I thought they would show it on BBC1/BBC2! They might do highlights later on. Cause diving can get boring when they have so many people, lol.

Jojo
22-08-2008, 12:14
They're bound to show highlights later - especially as Tom is involved. Being the Olympic baby and having so much media attention, I don't think they'll not thats for sure.

Its quite cool waiting for the results coming through on the website :lol:

I'm sad haha!!!

Bryan
22-08-2008, 19:12
so Tom's in the finals! can't see him doing any good tbf! he's good, but not good enough yet. I reckon come 2010 he'll be up there with the rest, he just needs a bit more experience yet.

I think our other diver might get something tomorrow though!

Abbie
22-08-2008, 19:43
SO how are we doing in the olympics? I know we won the 400m womens? I think cos we watched that, cos they thought USA would win and then after Great britain won they just kept showing how devasted the american was

Bryan
22-08-2008, 19:55
SO how are we doing in the olympics? I know we won the 400m womens? I think cos we watched that, cos they thought USA would win and then after Great britain won they just kept showing how devasted the american was

we are third in the world table with 44 medals, (18 gold, 13 silver and 13 bronze)

amazing considering how small a country we are. America and China are above us but look at the size of them countries, for us to be up there with them is amazing!

Jojo
22-08-2008, 22:46
Tom is in the semi's so needs to be in top 12 to be in the finals. Whatever happens, to be in the top 12 in the world at any age is amazing let alone at 14. Good luck to Pete Waterfield aswell who was looking brilliant but has got a bad shoulder injury which I hope holds out for tomorrow.

Chloe O'brien
22-08-2008, 23:26
I have got to admit Team GB has done a whole lot better than I thought they would. Edinburgh City Council are putting on an open top bus on Wednesday to welcome back olympic heroes Chris Hoy and Co. :cheer:

Bryan
23-08-2008, 09:27
Tom is in the semi's so needs to be in top 12 to be in the finals. Whatever happens, to be in the top 12 in the world at any age is amazing let alone at 14. Good luck to Pete Waterfield aswell who was looking brilliant but has got a bad shoulder injury which I hope holds out for tomorrow.

Tom's made to this afternoons final, but Pete has just missed out, shame really as I thought we stood a chance of getting a medla with Pete.

looks like them dirty Russians have overtaken us in the medal table! i will be miffed if we dont get third place in the games as we've done so well this year and dont desreve to get pipped at the post at the last minute!

.:SpIcYsPy:.
23-08-2008, 11:33
Noooo!!! We have to get back to 3rd!!! Come on Team GB!!! :cheer:

Bryan
23-08-2008, 14:21
anyone watching the diving final atm? Tom's in 6th place atm, with 25 points away from getting bronze! fingers crossed for him!

Abi
23-08-2008, 15:29
I'm surprised the Australian won a medal in the diving. Thought it would be Chinese across the board. Tom did really well, his dives were very impressive. Especially considering the little experience he has.

The relays have frustrated me this year. We are usually so good at those, and they made stupid mistakes that they shouldn't have. I mean, come on, dropping the batton? Crossing the yellow line? If we had lost because we were too slow (Like in the 4 x 400m) then thats a different thing, but when they make stupid mistakes its annoying.

Bryan
23-08-2008, 17:48
I'm surprised the Australian won a medal in the diving. Thought it would be Chinese across the board. Tom did really well, his dives were very impressive. Especially considering the little experience he has.

The relays have frustrated me this year. We are usually so good at those, and they made stupid mistakes that they shouldn't have. I mean, come on, dropping the batton? Crossing the yellow line? If we had lost because we were too slow (Like in the 4 x 400m) then thats a different thing, but when they make stupid mistakes its annoying.

i heard in one of our relays that one of our contestants was pushed over by one of the jamaican team who'd gone into the lane and fell over. thing is as much as we complain they can't redo the final, but surely there has to be some form of compensation for this? not fair that we suffer becuase of another contestant's problem!

Abbie
23-08-2008, 17:52
I missed it, dont suppose he got Bronze then?

Bryan
23-08-2008, 17:54
I missed it, dont suppose he got Bronze then?

7th place, so just under halfway - there were 12 in the contest

i didn't expect him to get any medals tbf, i dont think he's THAT great yet, but by 2012 i expect he will be. don't get me wrong he did brilliantly, in the top 12 in the world, and he did do some great dives, but he needs to train a bit more to perfect them and I have a feeling he may get gold next time around!

Abbie
23-08-2008, 17:56
What competition is in 2010?

Bryan
23-08-2008, 17:58

2012 sorry! typo haha! :o

Abbie
23-08-2008, 18:01

lol I was wondering if you meant that cos in post the other day you put 2010 as well, but cos of my limited internet time I didnt have time to ask.

I have to say that I never knew the chinese were in so much, so maybe its just cos they are hosting, but serioulsy whenever I turned on the TV they were competing in something

Bryan
23-08-2008, 18:06

lol I was wondering if you meant that cos in post the other day you put 2010 as well, but cos of my limited internet time I didnt have time to ask.

I have to say that I never knew the chinese were in so much, so maybe its just cos they are hosting, but serioulsy whenever I turned on the TV they were competing in something

they're one of the biggest and richest countries in the world, they can afford to raise and trainso many athletes from birth to compete for these olympics. same with the USA. in the gymnastics a lot of the american girls were from gynamstic dynastys. from the day their born it's obvious they're gonna train night and day to do this their whole life.

it's evident we arent like that in the UK, so the fact our athletes have got us to third place is great, becuase there's no way anyone can beat China or USA in these olympics

Abbie
23-08-2008, 18:11
I loved the womens gymnastics, I watched that.
I know that China would be good in that, but maybe its just cos I didnt expect them to be in the vollyball and stuff.
But the USA womens were gymnastics were great, espeically the main two girls

Bryan
23-08-2008, 18:17
I know that China would be good in that, but maybe its just cos I didnt expect them to be in the vollyball and stuff.

i thought them girls were frighteningly young, it scared me. and when they said they're from a long line of gymnasts it struck alarm bells that they've trained these girls from birth, which is very sad. I know Tom Daley for us is 14 but i doubt he's been made to dive from the age of 4 or anything.

on another note, we've shown that GB is good at loads of different sports, but why do we never get to see them in other championships? they deserve recognition! all we ever see polluted onto our tv screens is rubbish football, that we're not even good at! i'd rather sit and watch championships where we actually have talented athletes with chances of winning!

Abbie
23-08-2008, 18:25
The chinese or the American girls are you talking about?

Bryan
23-08-2008, 18:26
The chinese or the American girls are you talking about?

both! but the americans in particular!

Abi
23-08-2008, 18:31
There has been a bit of controversy with the Chinese gymnasts, about that some of the girls might be underage. They have to be 16, apparently, but they think some of them are 14. I don't know much about it, but apparently there is some investigation going on about it.

This tells you a bit more about it

Bryan
23-08-2008, 18:32
There has been a bit of controversy with the Chinese gymnasts, about that some of the girls might be underage. They have to be 16, apparently, but they think some of them are 14. I don't know much about it, but apparently there is some investigation going on about it.

thought as much! i didn't realise they had to be over 16, but i did think they were very young and shouldn't really be taking part at such an age!

Abbie
23-08-2008, 18:33
Really?
Cos Shawn Johnson who was on the all around team and won gold on the balance beam wasnt from a family of gymnasts. I know that her coach was orginally chinese and was a gymnast and that the olypics was something Shawn always wanted to do.
The only onw I can think of that her father was a gymnast was Nastia Liukin
I know that the Chinese womens gymnasts started very very very young
Dont know about the men

di marco
23-08-2008, 21:28
i only saw the highlights of the diving final but tom did so well to make the final and then come 7th (i think)

im glad the australian one, china are winning everything! cant believe china won gold, silve and bronze in the table tennis! :eek:

also, i loved it in toms interview after the final when he said hes glad someone other than a chinese person won haha! exactly what me and my dad said!

di marco
23-08-2008, 21:35

i heard in one of our relays that one of our contestants was pushed over by one of the jamaican team who'd gone into the lane and fell over. thing is as much as we complain they can't redo the final, but surely there has to be some form of compensation for this? not fair that we suffer becuase of another contestant's problem!

i agree abi, watching the semi finals and finals of both the mens and womens 4x100m relay i couldnt believe how useless most of the countries were! so many countries failed to finish the race or were disqualified and for stupid things such as dropping the baton or not handing it over in time! i wouldnt moan if it was their speed that let them down but surely changing over the baton isnt that difficult, i used to do it at school!

bryan, i was watching on iplayer and they said about the jamicans being in our lane but from what i saw i dont think anyone in our team was pushed over (i dont think the jamicans fell over either, just ran into each other!). apparently after the complaint the footage was rewatched and it was decided that although the jamicans were in our lane it didnt interfere with our race (or something like that). whether it did or not i dont know but before that happened it looked like we were running too early anyway

di marco
23-08-2008, 21:37
looks like them dirty Russians have overtaken us in the medal table! i will be miffed if we dont get third place in the games as we've done so well this year and dont desreve to get pipped at the post at the last minute!

i cant believe the russians knocked us out of 3rd place! :( but 4th is still really good! didnt we win another gold today, in the boxing?

di marco
23-08-2008, 21:39

they're one of the biggest and richest countries in the world, they can afford to raise and trainso many athletes from birth to compete for these olympics. same with the USA. in the gymnastics a lot of the american girls were from gynamstic dynastys. from the day their born it's obvious they're gonna train night and day to do this their whole life.

it's evident we arent like that in the UK, so the fact our athletes have got us to third place is great, becuase there's no way anyone can beat China or USA in these olympics

i knew the chinese would be good in things like the gymnastics, they always are, but this year its surprising how many sports they are participating in and winning, theyre not normally that good at everything! although i do agree, all the american competitors are trained really hard in really good facilities

di marco
23-08-2008, 21:45

i thought them girls were frighteningly young, it scared me. and when they said they're from a long line of gymnasts it struck alarm bells that they've trained these girls from birth, which is very sad. I know Tom Daley for us is 14 but i doubt he's been made to dive from the age of 4 or anything.

on another note, we've shown that GB is good at loads of different sports, but why do we never get to see them in other championships? they deserve recognition! all we ever see polluted onto our tv screens is rubbish football, that we're not even good at! i'd rather sit and watch championships where we actually have talented athletes with chances of winning!

what the gymnasts do really is amazing, both the women and the men, i really enjoy watching it. and i dont think theyre that young, in quite a lot of the sports ive heard that the competitors are 16/17/18 (although some are obviously a lot older). they obviously want to do it otherwise they wouldnt (and i mean now seeing as theyre old enough to decide whether they wanted to take part or not)

di marco
23-08-2008, 21:48

yeh i heard about that too. some of the chinese gymnasts did look quite young, although my housemates chinese and she looks a lot younger than 20 too!

also, i tried the link and it doesnt work

Abbie
23-08-2008, 21:49

i knew the chinese would be good in things like the gymnastics, they always are, but this year its surprising how many sports they are participating in and winning, theyre not normally that good at everything! although i do agree, all the american competitors are trained really hard in really good facilities
Thats what I mean, I knew they were good at some of the sports, but it seems like this year they are good at way more sports than last time!

di marco
23-08-2008, 21:52

Thats what I mean, I knew they were good at some of the sports, but it seems like this year they are good at way more sports than last time!

exactly. i mean, i can understand that theyre probably entering as many people as they can in as many sports as they can seeing as its in china, but i just cant understand how theyre managing to win them all when they havent previously

Abbie
23-08-2008, 21:54
I know, I mean I respect that they should have entered as many as possible as they are the hosts, but how did they get so good.
I mean I hope when we host it, we try to enter as many as we can, cos we arent in much to be honest.

Abbie
23-08-2008, 22:01

Ive just re-read this post and it got me thinking. They do look very young, but not only that I swear when I was in America, they said, well when the thing at the bottom came up with their name and age, it said that some of them were 15

di marco
23-08-2008, 22:06
I know, I mean I respect that they should have entered as many as possible as they are the hosts, but how did they get so good.
I mean I hope when we host it, we try to enter as many as we can, cos we arent in much to be honest.

im wondering how they got so good too!

and im hoping that in 2012 we do really well, will be a bit disappointing if we dont

di marco
23-08-2008, 22:07

Ive just re-read this post and it got me thinking. They do look very young, but not only that I swear when I was in America, they said, well when the thing at the bottom came up with their name and age, it said that some of them were 15

i thought one of the commentators said that one of the chinese girls was 13, but i think i must have misheard cos they wouldnt openly know that she was underage

Jojo
24-08-2008, 09:26
I would just like to congratulate Team GB on doing the best they've ever done this year and winning the highest number of medals in 100yrs! That is such a major achievement apart from actually making the Olympics anyway (after all of the qualifying etc that they have to do to get there in the first place).

There have been some very dubious markings going on with respects to a couple of the Chinese competitors, a disgraceful display from the Cuban Taekwondo competitor, who on disqualification, kicked the referee in the head (!!!), but all in all, an excellent games.

And good luck to Tom Daley who has the Junior European Champs in a couple of weeks.

di marco
24-08-2008, 10:47
I would just like to congratulate Team GB on doing the best they've ever done this year and winning the highest number of medals in 100yrs! That is such a major achievement apart from actually making the Olympics anyway (after all of the qualifying etc that they have to do to get there in the first place).

yeh they have done really well :)

There have been some very dubious markings going on with respects to a couple of the Chinese competitors, a disgraceful display from the Cuban Taekwondo competitor, who on disqualification, kicked the referee in the head (!!!), but all in all, an excellent games.

i saw that on the highlights, i couldnt believe it lol! although from what they were saying, i didnt understand why he did it cos i thought he was winning and that the fight had been stopped in his favour?

Bryan
24-08-2008, 12:58
4th place - GUTTED!

Bad Wolf
24-08-2008, 15:27
the final show was good, especially the london bit, jimmi page brought the house down!!

Abi
24-08-2008, 15:48
London 2012 will be awesome.

But we don't even have any double decker buses anymore. So i thought that was funny that they used one. They should have used a bendy bus, lmao!

StarsOfCCTV
24-08-2008, 15:53
We still have double deckers around my area :D Isn't Boris planning out to phase out the bendy buses?

I can't wait...it's going to be brill :cheer:

Abbie
24-08-2008, 17:25
:eek: has the final show been on?
I keep getting confused with time differences. Are we 7 hours behind them?

Bad Wolf
24-08-2008, 17:31
the olympics have been on all day everyday on bbc

the final show was cool, they leona mime tho, all the warbles at the start of it were not live although she did sing some of it

Abbie
24-08-2008, 17:35
Aww Ive beem at work that explains it
Did Leona Lewis sing?

di marco
25-08-2008, 10:06
abbie its on iplayer if you wanna watch it :)