PDA

View Full Version : Gaa

Princess
21-05-2005, 22:12
I've decided to start a thread devoted to GAA.

We can post results, discuss who will win and chat about our favourite teams!

I support Armagh!

What about everyone else?

P.S
The GAA doesn't just have Irish teams. There is a team from London and one from NewYork. People living outside Ireland should try and find out a lot more about it. You'll love it!

stapler
21-05-2005, 23:08
:thumbsup: Dude! Sa'craic?

We mustn't forget the beautiful Donegal, please tell me you :heart: Donegal... God last years Ulster Championship was difficult enough for me what with them head-to-head and all... almost like that infamous father/son showdown in the Vic lol.

How are you for hurley?

stapler
21-05-2005, 23:11
Scotland has their own form of GAA sports, don't they? There's another name for the hurling altogether but for the life of me I can't bloody remember.

:cheer: HILL 16 in June 24th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer:

Princess
22-05-2005, 12:53
:thumbsup: Dude! Sa'craic?

We mustn't forget the beautiful Donegal, please tell me you :heart: Donegal... God last years Ulster Championship was difficult enough for me what with them head-to-head and all... almost like that infamous father/son showdown in the Vic lol.

How are you for hurley?

I'm not the biggest Donegal fan but they're better than Tyrone.
I love hurley too but not as much as the football!
Anyway Armagh doesn't have a decent team

Princess
22-05-2005, 21:18
Bad news Stapler, Tyrone won.

stapler
22-05-2005, 21:29
I support Antrim in hurley. Kind of have to lol seeing as I don't support my county in anything else.

Life ambition:

-Move to Dublin to shift Belfast accent
-Settle in Donegal
-Buy one cow
-Name one cow 'Hilda'
-Adopt child who will go on to play for Armagh
-Write a book

lol, jk

Katy
22-05-2005, 22:51
i am a mayo girl myself. Who saw them get beat (badly) in the all ireland final last year against kerry. It was great when they beat tyrone though i was in ireland when it happened the astmosphere was so good. I find irish football is so much better than football over here because the players dont love themselves that much.

Princess
23-05-2005, 17:50
i am a mayo girl myself. Who saw them get beat (badly) in the all ireland final last year against kerry. It was great when they beat tyrone though i was in ireland when it happened the astmosphere was so good. I find irish football is so much better than football over here because the players dont love themselves that much.

I knoe Gaelic beats soccer hands down. Its good the way the players do it because of love for their county and not for the money.

stapler
24-05-2005, 23:35
That's because GAA isn't... well, it is professional but you know what I mean. Soccer's seen as the footballers job whereas Irish football is considered a passtime, sure half the players are p.e teachers and Oisin McConville is a publican - v. Irish hehe.

Have to say I was sad when Kerry won as well because I was rooting for Mayo for 3 reasons, namely:
I go to Knock every year, they beat Tyrone so they done us Amargh supporters proud, and again the same friend of mine that goes for Tyrone was going for Kerry that time round so... (I see a patern developing, maybe if I claim to hate Armagh they'll regain their much deserved glory)

Meh
25-05-2005, 15:24
For those of us that have little idea about GAA, anyone here care to update us on the rules and game play?

Princess
25-05-2005, 19:30
For those of us that have little idea about GAA, anyone here care to update us on the rules and game play?

Sure.

Gaelic football is a bit hard to explain without actually showing you what happens.

There’s 15 players on a team:

Goalkeeper
Three full backs
Three half backs
Two midfields
Three half forwards
Three full forwards

The posts look a lot like rugby posts.

A goal (in the net) is worth 3 points, and a point (over the bar) is worth one point.

You are not allowed to pick the ball off the ground or to run more than 5 steps without passing or toe-tapping. (Again its hard to explain.)

Every year there are two main competitions: The National League and The Championship (the most important)

Armagh (my team!) are the current National League champions and that competition has just finished.

The Championship has just begun. Firstly there are provincial (Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Connaght) finals. The winners of all of these then go on to face each other.

Armagh and Tyrone have already won their first match.

The really good teams that generally win are Armagh, Tyrone and Kerry.

There’s a GAA website that gives you a lot more info and results. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to give the link but you can find it on google if you type in “Offical GAA website”.

stapler
25-05-2005, 22:48

Lol, well Mordor, basically it's like soccer only you can pick up the ball. I'm sure you've seen gaelic nets before? Well, they're virtually the same as soccer nets only the goalposts continue on up, so if you score above the crossbar it's considered a point and if you score in the actual net (like soccer) then it's a goal which is effectively equal to 3 points.

Example... Armagh 3:1, Tyrone 1:7 ('tis a draw, understand?)

Oh, one more vital thing you need to know - Armagh rule! :cheer:

stapler
25-05-2005, 22:50
You are not allowed to pick the ball off the ground

You can do this now dude, they changed the rules, you don't need to flick it up anymore... it's like girls gaelic.

Princess
26-07-2005, 17:28
I'm still smiling Stapler. I'm so proud of the boys. I feel sorry for Michael Collins though. It was a simple mistake, it could happen to anybody!

Katy
26-07-2005, 17:29
what happened to collins?

Princess
26-07-2005, 17:32
You know the way at the match he send of Stephen O'Neill for a second yellow? Well everybody thought it was only his first yellow. Turns out it WAS his second yellow but Michael Collins forgot to record it so it doesn't count and now he's getting a lot of stick about it.

Katy
26-07-2005, 17:36
oh right. It did get a bit confusing.

Princess
26-07-2005, 17:42
Yeah I know but it was well worth it!

Katy
26-07-2005, 17:48
yeh they did really well

Princess
26-07-2005, 17:50
Tell me about it! Sam's coming home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katy
26-07-2005, 17:54
we were nearly there last year. Stupid Kerry

Princess
26-07-2005, 17:58
Yeah i know. Well at least you got beat by Kerry and not Fermanagh!

Katy
26-07-2005, 18:01
i know. we beat fermanagh. I watched in the irish centre in chorlton.

Princess
26-07-2005, 18:04
Mayo's playing Cavan next aren't they?

Katy
26-07-2005, 18:07
yeh its cavan in the fourth round. The winners take on Kerry i think. I think i might be there then it depends on my flight time.

Princess
26-07-2005, 18:11
Our next match isn't for another 3 or 4 weeks. We could get Mayo!

Katy
26-07-2005, 18:13
that would be interesting.

Princess
26-07-2005, 18:19
Yeah should be. An easy match for once! LOL!

Katy
26-07-2005, 18:21
yeah probaly. i hope they do well this year.

Princess
28-07-2005, 19:38
Have you seen this yet? Its fab!

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/2716/canavan6qo.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Katy
13-08-2005, 20:41
Sams not coming home this year :(

Princess
13-08-2005, 20:52
Sams not coming home this year :(

Poor you! You can support Armagh now!

Katy
13-08-2005, 20:54
i know. I thought about you and Armagh when it was on the telly. I dont care who wins now as long as its not Kerry.

Princess
13-08-2005, 20:56
i know. I thought about you and Armagh when it was on the telly. I dont care who wins now as long as its not Kerry.

As long as its not Tyrone! It was a brilliant match between Tyrone and Dublin today. Did you see it? Armagh have a tough job ahead but they'll do it, :cheer:

Katy
13-08-2005, 20:59
no i didnt see it. who is in the semi finals now is it kerry cork armagh and tyrone. I cant remember as very tired since travelling at 6 AM this morning.

Princess
13-08-2005, 21:01
Armagh still have to play their quarter final against Laois and DUblin have to play Tyrone again.

Kerry and Cork are the only two teams who are definately in the semis.

Katy
13-08-2005, 21:04
thanks for clearing that up. Armagh will do well this year i pretty sure. i remember cork are definatly in it because they beatr Galway in the quarter in like the last minuites. My uncle Bernie was really annoyed because he has lived and supported Galway all his Life.

Princess
13-08-2005, 21:14
Cork and Galway was a great match. Let's hope Armagh do it this year! If Tyrone beat Dublin it will be an Armagh and Tyrone semi final!!!!!!!!!!

Katy
13-08-2005, 21:16
can you image that a munster/Ulster semi finals. cork Kerry then Tyrone Armagh. The atmosphere would be amazing.

Princess
13-08-2005, 21:19
I know. Armagh and Tyrone always bring a big crowd and its the best crac!

Katy
13-08-2005, 21:21
i can imagine. The Kerry Mayo game was great they were so close. Mayo went way behind i thought theyd lost but then the final score there was only three points in it.

Princess
13-08-2005, 21:25
I felt really sorry for Mayo but don't worry they'll be back next year! Being from Armagh we got used to losing but in the last couple of years we've got used to winning.

There's been a lot of bad press for the GAA recently saying that they're bias towards Ulster teams. Cooper and Whelan should have been banned but they weren't. McGrane, McKeever and McMeninm only got off cos the GAA didn't want to go to court.

Katy
13-08-2005, 21:28
i read a lot of the bad press, but no one believes anything they say. Next year will be a new start for Mayo. I think a new manager may help although john maughen has done really well.

Princess
13-08-2005, 21:33
I don't really know much about Mayo's manager but if he got them to a quarter final he's done good.

JessicaRabbit
23-08-2005, 15:03
Dissapointed Mayo didn't make it all the way, not from there myself but grandfathers side of the family are all from there and i've spent every summer there since i was young.

Also being a Clare girl i'm extremely dissapointed they didn't make it to the hurling final. A Clare - Galway final would have been fantastic!!

Katy
25-08-2005, 20:06
i been away so not had chance to say well done to armagh. they really beat louis didnt they. i wonder who will win the replay between Tyrone and Dublin.

Princess
25-08-2005, 20:10
i been away so not had chance to say well done to armagh. they really beat louis didnt they. i wonder who will win the replay between Tyrone and Dublin.

Come on the Dubs! :cheer:

Katy
25-08-2005, 20:12
thats what i was thinking. I really hope sam goes back to Armagh because I cant stick Kerry. I hATE them

Princess
25-08-2005, 20:21
thats what i was thinking. I really hope sam goes back to Armagh because I cant stick Kerry. I hATE them

Don't worry Sam will be back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

And if a miracle happens and Armagh don't win (which will never happen) I hope Dublin win. Kerry have had it too many times and anybody but Tyrone!

Katy
25-08-2005, 20:25
Kerry have had it some ridiculas amount of times like 33 or something stupid

Princess
25-08-2005, 20:29
I know and you're right I think it is 33. Armagh have only had it once! :(
I really can't wait to the Dublin and Tyrone match on Saturday. Even though Armagh aren't even playing I'm still looking forward to seeing it cos its going to be a great game of football!

Katy
27-08-2005, 12:34
I really hope Cork knockout Kerry in the semi final i dont think they will but i doubt they will. We can always hope though. Come on the Dublin.

Katy
29-08-2005, 10:52
Kerry Won. Im so annoyed. Tyrone Armagh is going to be a great semi final.

We cant have Kerry win again!!!!!

stapler
03-09-2005, 17:39
Armagh and Tyrone tomorrow... I bet it'll be a clean game! :rotfl: No, you're right I can't say that with a straight face!

My hairdresser's brother plays for Armagh! So next time I go he promised he'd get me autographs! :cheer:

stapler
03-09-2005, 17:42
Kerry Won. Im so annoyed. Tyrone Armagh is going to be a great semi final.

We cant have Kerry win again!!!!!

I never used to mind Kerry until last year I was seriously rooting for Mayo. Poor wee Mayo. :thumbsdow It served me right for getting cocky I suppose, Knock is in Mayo so they were Holy, had Virgin Mary backing them up in heaven, they're shirt is Christmas colors and they STILL lost.

Katy
03-09-2005, 17:55
clean game. Yeah right lol. it really was poor wee mayo i got all excited as the scored the first goal.

Come on Armagh.

stapler
03-09-2005, 18:01
Here's hoping lol... it's those Red Hand buggers, The Orchard County is a wonderful team, no fouling, no dirty play at all... Tyrone are quite like Dublin in that sense, they get extremely vicious especially when they feel the game slipping from their grasp.

stapler
03-09-2005, 18:03
Red Hand buggers

I did use a stronger word beforehand, but thought it was inappropriate - we'll save the name-calling for the ref tomorrow lol!

Katy
03-09-2005, 18:03
tyrone were really dirty. i kept saying there just like man united.

the ginger kerry player is good but you really want to slap him. Hes called colm cooper i think. Hes a really dirty player.

stapler
04-09-2005, 19:46
Tyrone V. Armagh... what more can I say? :crying: We were totally robbed. Unbelievable how biased that bloody ref was - was he watching the same game we were? And the time wasting at the end between Peter and Owen, Armagh could have got another point in there had they not pratted about deciding who would try for the point.

Who was Man of the Match? It had better have been Oisin McConville - he did the most work IMHO... I would have stayed for the commentary at the end, but well... I was upset lol. Like Hulk wanting to upturn the tables - the whole pub was with me though, we all felt robbed. And what's worse is that Tyrone only got through the back door and now they've put Armagh out... it's tragic, it's really... no! :crying: :crying: :crying:

stapler
04-09-2005, 19:52
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9269/croker6zy.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Look at my MSN pic I spent all morning making as well... I was so cocky about this match... :( ... :( ... :crying:

Princess
05-09-2005, 19:59
Devastaed. Absolutely devastated :crying:

Peter Canavan scoring the winning point makes it a million times worse.

I'm still in shock - I've just given the Irish news a mouthful! I suggest that all the Armagh fans write into the Irish news and battle for a rematch! Paddy Russell won the game for Tyrone. He was pathetic. Didn't even act on the rules.

Come on the Kingdom?

stapler
05-09-2005, 20:03
Devastated doesn't cut it... I was... depressed.

Princess
05-09-2005, 20:07
I haven't eaten since yesterday lunch time in a lovely wee dublin pub. Just cups of tea.

What do you think about the penalty. Two armagh players down and as soon as Stephen O'Neill is touched the whistle blows. And the GAA rules clearly state that the free out to Armagh should have been taken and the penalty should never have stood. Absolute disgrace.

stapler
05-09-2005, 20:10
It was a bloody joke! The pub I was in - Jesus even the Tyrone fans were shouting for justice! They didn't want to see their team win through unfiar bloody judgement - I hate that ref!!!!! And Peter, Peter... do you want to pitch a tent up with me outside his house as I start my Kill Canavan Campaign? The world would be a better place... :ninja: We're undercover now!

Princess
05-09-2005, 20:16
Tell me when and I'll be there!

If I was a Tyrone fan I wouldn't be happy because they won it unfairly. But I'm not a Tyrone fan and I'm still not happy. I hope this is the end of Paddy Russell's career because his performance was appauling.

And as well as a kill Peter Canavan campaign I hink we should have a kill dirty Mulligan campaign. Did you see his smug look when him and Peter the not so great were discussing who was going to take the free. That will never leave me.

bridgekelly2004
08-09-2005, 11:07
It was a great game to watch as an impartial observer! Being a Donegal / Mayo fan I didn't really care who won because neither Armagh or Tryone are capable of beating Kerry! They are in a league of their own. I'm still sore from them beating Mayo in last years final and this year also!

Katy
09-09-2005, 15:58
i was so annoyed. Tyrone are in my list of things i hate.. there joint first with Kerry.

all i can say now is

DONT LET KERRY WIN.

Princess
09-09-2005, 17:16
i was so annoyed. Tyrone are in my list of things i hate.. there joint first with Kerry.

all i can say now is

DONT LET KERRY WIN.

I hope Kerry do win! If it was any other Ulster team I'd support them but I'd never support tyrone.

Katy
09-09-2005, 17:25
i remember that good old day in 2004.

MAYO beat TYRONE. The pub that night was hilarious.

Maybe next year eh.

Princess
09-09-2005, 17:57
i remember that good old day in 2004.

MAYO beat TYRONE. The pub that night was hilarious.

Maybe next year eh.

Well Armagh will win next year so maybe the year after that!

Katy
10-09-2005, 15:22
yeh. I hope they win in my lifetime. I was around in 1952 when mayo won it last. lol. My dad wasnt even alive.

stapler
10-09-2005, 18:09
This is probably a bold statement, but to me Tyrone is the equivalent to Coronation Street in Soap - so all you EastEnders lovers chant Armagh now!

Katy
10-09-2005, 18:22
lol. who do you think will get it this year tyrone or Kerry.

stapler
10-09-2005, 18:23
Tyrone!!!!!! Don't really like Kerry either, but Tyrone is like... England!

Katy
10-09-2005, 18:24
i dont like any of them so probably tyrone because kerry are just kerry. Especially the ginger one colm cooper. Hes a real dirty player.

stapler
10-09-2005, 18:26
Tyrone are seriously crap, but no one will believe me. All they know is fouling, right? And anytime they're playing Armagh the ref is completely biased!! - It's shameful... they're just bullies.

Katy
10-09-2005, 18:29
i know exactly what you mean. i'm sure they learn professional fouls. No other team would get away with some of the stunts they pull. Theres little digs here and there arent there.

stapler
10-09-2005, 18:32
They're so vicious its unbelievable that they aren't arrested for it... I can't remember who it was or to whome but it was a Tyrone man against an Armagh man anyway... the replay of the Ulster Championship I think... anyway the man was down and the Tyrone guy slipped over his neck with his knees! He could have choked him!

I think we've discussed this on this thread actually, maybe not - either way Tyrone are crap! lol.

Katy
10-09-2005, 18:37
completly agree. kerry are just the same though there just as dirty.

Noone likes kerry though apart from kerry.

stapler
10-09-2005, 18:40
Lol, true, true. But Tyrone fans infuriate me - fair enough Kerry likes Kerry, but Tyrone fans are from all-over and they can't admit that it isn't football they play... grr! Armagh moved beautifully when they got put out, one point in it... God.... they definitely, no question, won the match despite the ref's say.

Katy
24-09-2005, 18:11
im all excited its the final tomorrow.

Tyrone or Kerry. and Mayo are in the minors so we could win something this year.

I wonder who will win.

Princess
24-09-2005, 21:03
I can't wait either. I'm wearing my Kerry top now!
I hope they win but in a weird sort of way I hope it comes to Ulster. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd want Tyrone to win!

Katy
25-09-2005, 19:53
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kerry Lost kerry lost kerry lost.

Princess
25-09-2005, 20:02
Fair play to TYrone. The best team won. Shame about Peter the not so great's goal.

Armagh 4 Sam '06!

Katy
25-09-2005, 20:19
they went from being three behind as well. Fair play to tyrone but im glad they won.

Well armagh or Mayo for sam 06