PDA

View Full Version : Racist remarks to Lewis Hamilton

Siobhan
04-02-2008, 18:02
didn't know where this should go but not only was I horrified by it but also this comment posted on the Sky news site

What a load of fuss over nothing. Whatever happened to the famous British (ie English, Welsh, Scottish, N.Irish) sense of humour, and the ability to laugh at everything. Presumably that's been diluted by the influx of too many foreigners who call themselves "British". Taking the mickey out of anybody (via race, height, weight, sex, sexual orintation etc) occurs everywhere daily. Grow up & take it. He's willing to take the money, he'll have to take the flak

then followed by this

What an over reaction, it's just a few kids having a laugh

It this attitude still alive and well??? (btw, there were comments from British people).. I work with Spanish people and they were ashamed at the comment made as they are already been branded racist due to the Football ruling last year. Are we not here to teach our kid tolerance and respect for everyone??? comment like that really doesn't make me wonder why there is still racism in the world today

Abigail
04-02-2008, 20:31
What were they commenting on?

Katy
04-02-2008, 23:17
erm basically people in the crowd dressed up as monkeys with masks and white tshirts with We're Hamiltons Family on them.

I was soo shocked when i saw the pictures.

Jojo
04-02-2008, 23:29
It has disgusted me to the core - I thought attitudes had changed and times had changed.

Abigail
04-02-2008, 23:58
I saw the pictures on the news. I really hope they are charged with racism. Its appalling that people can even think of doing that.

alan45
05-02-2008, 00:11
I was absolutely disgusted. Lewis Hamilton is a real ambassador for not only his country and his sport and no matter how many millions he has in the bank he should not be subjected to such abuse. Of course the remarks that Shiv pointed out were on that fine upstanding Murdoch owned TV channel Sky News. Enough said.

Siobhan
05-02-2008, 11:51
I have been reading more comment on this from many different tabloid and broadsheets and it seems the general concensus is that "it was only 4 people who did this, so what it the big fuss".. It is just me or is just 1 person making those comments 1 too many???

Abigail
05-02-2008, 12:17
I agree with you, one person is one person too many. I thought that racism didn't have a place in our society any more. In effect, those people who commented are saying what those four did is ok. I'm sure they wouldn't think that way if it was targeted at them.

Somehow I don't think removing the two races in Spain from this year's Grand Prix is going to punish them. They can just get on a plane to France or Portugal and do the same thing there.

Siobhan
05-02-2008, 12:36
I was thinking same thing yesterday.. removing Spain from F1 calendar is only going to spread the group to other European GP and cause more anger from Spanish fans

alan45
05-02-2008, 18:08
I was thinking same thing yesterday.. removing Spain from F1 calendar is only going to spread the group to other European GP and cause more anger from Spanish fans
That would be the best way to punish them. The Spanish motor racing fraternity should get their house in order. They would stand to lose millions if they were to lose either the Spanish or European GPs

Perdita
05-02-2008, 20:25
I agree that people or organisations need to be punished when any form of discrimination occurs. Removing Spain from the GP for just one season might make them take a look at the supporters and the organisers will become somewhat more active to stop those morons.