PDA

View Full Version : Colin McCrae feared dead in helicopter crash

Jojo
16-09-2007, 08:58
Former world rally champion Colin McRae is believed to have been killed along with three others in a helicopter crash near his home in Lanarkshire.

The helicopter, which police believe was owned by Mr McRae, 39, came down on Saturday afternoon in Jerviswood, about a mile from Lanark, and caught fire.

Strathclyde Police said Colin McRae, a keen pilot, is thought to have been on board with three others.

However formal identification of those killed still has to be carried out.

Strathclyde Police said the damage to the Squirrel aircraft was so bad it was initially unclear how many people had died.

A police statement said: "Around 1610 BST on Saturday, 15 September 2007, emergency services were called to a helicopter crash in Jerviswood, east of the A73 at Lanark.

"There are no survivors."

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) has been informed and will carry out a full inquiry.

Police have been conducting a full scene examination and area search.

The Scottish Ambulance Service confirmed that its own helicopter had been despatched to the scene along with three ambulance crews, and the Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Service was in attendance.

An RAF helicopter was also put on stand-by to assist.

A spokesman for the British Airports Authority said the helicopter did not come from Glasgow or Edinburgh Airports, but its flight path is still unknown.

Colin McRae won the World Rally Championship drivers' title in 1995 driving a Subaru, becoming the first Briton to win the title.

He was also runner-up in 1996, 1997 and 2001.

He is married to Alison and has two children, Hollie and Johnny.

Bryan
16-09-2007, 11:20
was quite shocked when I heard this, although I haven't heard about him in a few years, my old friend used to be obssesed with rally driving and McRea.

Must be devasting for to happen to his family. RIP

pookie1968uk
16-09-2007, 12:58
how terrible. such a talented driver. my sympathies to his family.

Jojo
16-09-2007, 14:07
They say his 5yr old son was also on board and killed also, along with his friend and father.

So very very sad...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6997270.stm

Bryan
16-09-2007, 14:21
crickey, a five year old child, the story gets worse and worse

the wife/mother must be distraught, thoughts are with her at this traumatic time

Chloe O'brien
16-09-2007, 17:48
This is so very sad. Colin was a great rally driver his family must be devasted.

Trinity
17-09-2007, 09:14
My hubby was devastated when it was just thought to be Colin. When I saw the wee boys faces on the news last night it was heartbreaking.

My thoughts are with those left behind, it is so sad.

Katy
17-09-2007, 11:30
Its tragic my thoughts are with the families of Mcrae and the other two people who were killed in the crash. I couldn't beleve it when i heard it on the radio yesterday.

RIP

Meh
17-09-2007, 11:46
Extremely sad news. Thoughts are with his family.

RIP :(

Siobhan
17-09-2007, 11:48
I have seen McCrae race and he is a fantastic driver.. Such a shame this has happen to himself and his child. My thoughts are with his wife and daughter
RIP