PDA

View Full Version : BBC pulls out of 'Neighbours' negotiations?

Luna
05-05-2007, 12:38
BBC chiefs have pulled out of negotiations for Australian soap Neighbours, according to a report in The Mirror today.

The show will now leave BBC screens next year after distributor Fremantle refused to accept the corporation's offer of £70,000 per episode, instead demanding that executives match ITV's bid of £104,000.

It is now believed that the bidding war for the soap will continue between ITV and Five. ITV are keen to secure a daytime hit after struggling since Paul O'Grady defected to Channel 4 in 2006, while Five are hoping to create an Aussie soap hour by running Neighbours and Home and Away back-to-back.

A BBC insider told the newspaper: "We made a very generous offer and we were very disappointed when they went off in search of more cash. It shows how greedy they are. There is no hope of us keeping the programme in the face of such fierce competition from the commercial channels.

"We can't pay over the odds for it because it is licence fee money - but what we did offer was very reasonable given the current market rates. It is very sad."

Jessie Wallace
05-05-2007, 12:54
:crying: please don't let this be true, i can't lose my neighbours as well.

Chloe O'brien
05-05-2007, 21:05
What is wrong with these people that they have to get so greedy over money. Neighbours has been on the bbc for over 20 years and has a large number of viewers who faithfully tune in to watch it doesn't that account for something. By going to ITV they are just shooting themselves in the foot and they will loose viewers because they don't a have a cat in hells chance in winning viewers if they put it head to head with Paul O'Grady. Then what will happen will it disapear from our screens like Family Affairs.

Abbie
05-05-2007, 21:38
I cant believe thats its leaving BBC

Chris_2k11
05-05-2007, 22:52
I get the feeling this won't be around in a few years time

CrazyLea
05-05-2007, 23:08
I'm not so sure. As much as I'd rather it be on BBC. I know I'm going to still watch it if it goes to another channel, and I can imagine most people will too. Particuarly fans who have been watching for 20 years+. I just don't think people will want to give up, just because of a channel change. My only concern is, if five win, then not everyone will be able to watch it due to not having the channel. That's why I want it to go to ITV.

Jessie Wallace
05-05-2007, 23:48
Exactly, i can't watch Home and Away coz it's on Channel 5, and i used to watch that more than i did Neighbours.

neroc
06-05-2007, 22:21
noooo! im annoyed its leaving BBC it will have adverts in it....they best not drop it from UK screens completely in a few years otherwise I will actually cry!