PDA

View Full Version : Artical on Sky News Website!!

MRSM2B
03-03-2005, 11:05
Struggling soap EastEnders has suffered another blow after landing its second lowest ratings.

The soap was trounced by ITV1's Emmerdale, which once had barely a fraction of the BBC1 soap's audience.

Just 6.3 million viewers turned in to an hour-long special to view the aftermath of Dirty Den's death.

Emmerdale, which also showed an hour-long episode, showing a high-profile storyline on the departure of Charity Dingle, attracted almost three million more viewers than its rival.

The news has sparked industry speculation that the BBC may axe the programme next year, according to The Daily Mirror.

Last year, executive producer Louise Berridge quit after two years in the job following a barrage of criticism about gloomy storylines in the show.

Her replacement, Kathleen Hutchison, a former Holby City boss, left unexpectedly after just four months.

Last September, EastEnders hit its lowest audience of just 6.2 million, while the Yorkshire soap recorded 11.8 million viewers for its most popular episode of 2004.

A BBC spokeswoman told The Daily Express that there were no plans to axe the show. She said: "It is a permanent fixture in the schedule and I have heard no whispers about changes."

Meh
03-03-2005, 11:20
Not really a spoiler.

Please post in the correct forum :)

Moving ....

Treacle
03-03-2005, 13:51
As if the BBC or any insider would tell that lot they might can the show.

Behemoth
03-03-2005, 15:54
The show is not being taken off the air! The BBC are no longer supposed to care about ratings.

Treacle
03-03-2005, 16:09
The show will be around for another 20 years.

Behemoth
03-03-2005, 16:12
Good News there then. I know Eastenders is getting a lot of stick recently but I can't imagine TV schedules without it.

Treacle
03-03-2005, 16:28
It's the BBC's flagship show

Ryanjustmad
03-03-2005, 18:43
Oh no not again