PDA

View Full Version : First female onside for MOTD debut

Footie_Chick
19-04-2007, 14:27
TV history will be made this weekend when a 32-year-old becomes the first female commentator on Match of the Day.

Jacqui Oatley will take the microphone for the BBC1 flagship sports show, hosted by Gary Lineker, during a Barclays Premiership game this weekend.

She will become the first female commentator in the 43-year history of the programme, commentating on the game between Fulham and Blackburn.

Oatley, originally from Codsall, South Staffordshire, spent four years working in the field of intellectual property before deciding to switch career.

She played football at an amateur level but had to give up the sport after suffering a nasty knee injury.

Oatley chose to fill the gap by embarking on a postgraduate on broadcasting and reporting on the game instead.

The broadcaster, who now lives in London, eventually secured a job commentating for Radio 5 Live.

She recently said of her female status: "I don't think of it as breaking down barriers for women in sport. I do it for the same reason as any bloke does. I love my football.

"There are certainly a few more (women) in the press box these days, so we don't stick out like a sore thumb any more.

"Gabby Logan has done us all a favour, fronting a main channel. She has become accepted and I think more women will be, in time."

tammyy2j
19-04-2007, 16:36
What show does Gabby Logan present/front?

Katy
19-04-2007, 19:09
none yet, i don't think she has apperared yet.

I think this is good for football in general.

Second step, lose Lineker.