PDA

View Full Version : Beckham to Exit Real

Em
10-01-2007, 15:45
David Beckham's contract at Real Madrid will not be renewed, according to the club's sporting director Predrag Mijatovic.

Beckham's current deal expires in the summer and Mijatovic told Sky Italia that the former England captain would not be offered fresh terms.

Mijatovic said: "Beckham will leave us. We will not renew his contract.''

Real had previously stated their desire to resolve the long-running Beckham contract issue one way or the other by the end of next week, and further talks were thought to be due to take place.

But Mijatovic has decided to curtail negotiations with immediate effect.

Beckham joined Real in July 2003 from Manchester United and was quickly labelled as a 'galactico'. But he has failed to land a trophy at the Bernabeu.

Clubs from across Europe and the United States are believed to be monitoring Beckham's situation and may now make their move.

It is understood there is firm interest from clubs in England, Italy, France and the United States, and Beckham's representatives have been free to speak to other clubs from January 1.

Beckham's primary concerns are making sure that wherever he is he will get regular playing time, having been a bit-part player for the Spanish giants so far this season, and making sure his next move is the right one for his young family.

Mijatovic's declaration ties in with Real coach Fabio Capello's squad announcement for Thursday's Copa del Rey game with Real Betis, where Beckham was one of six senior players who had been left out.

Beckham, along with Ronaldo, Antonio Cassano, Michel Salgado, Francisco Pavon and Alvaro Mejia, were omitted from Capello's 18-man squad for technical reasons.

The news about Beckham and Capello's decision to leave out some of his senior players for the Betis game comes in the wake of Monday's emergency meeting, where the coach met with Real president Ramon Calderon, Mijatovic and technical secretary Franco Baldini to discuss the club's poor form.

Real have lost three of their last four league matches, with the latest setback coming on Sunday when they were beaten 2-0 by a Deportivo La Coruna side which had previously gone nine games without a victory.

Mijatovic revealed after the meeting that the problems facing Real had been pinpointed, and solutions devised that would be implemented over time.

Capello did not go into detail about his decision to omit Beckham, Ronaldo and co for the cup match during his press conference on Wednesday, instead saying he would be giving some new faces a chance to shine.

"Tomorrow we are going to see some small changes, we are going to put out some different players,'' the Italian said.

"In the last two games, we have lost the character and desire which we had up until that point.

"That is what has annoyed me most. When I arrived I said we had to fight for the shirt, recover our values and I have not seen this.

"We have taken measures to solve this.

"One of them is to train behind closed doors in order to have total concentration.

"We have analysed a lot of things and what has happened on the last few games.''

So what do we think? Are Becks playing days over? SHoudl he think about a new career?

alan45
10-01-2007, 15:52
So what do we think? Are Becks playing days over? SHoudl he think about a new career?

He could form a singing duet with his missus. Even he couldnt be as bad as her:rolleyes: :D

Footie_Chick
10-01-2007, 15:57
It could mean his playing days are over, i can't see him coming back to the uk to play again as everyone will still think of him being from united, so perhaps he should finish his career at the place he started out from when he was very young. But i can't even see that happening.

Em
10-01-2007, 16:02
It could mean his playing days are over, i can't see him coming back to the uk to play again as everyone will still think of him being from united, so perhaps he should finish his career at the place he started out from when he was very young. But i can't even see that happening.

I do remember him saying he wouldnt go back to the UK unless it was united .. and I dont see that happening! Something about only wanting to play for the best teams in the world

He could form a singing duet with his missus. Even he couldnt be as bad as her:rolleyes: :D

The new Katie and Peter :D .. I can see it now !

alan45
10-01-2007, 16:29

Yeh they could call themselves VD

Victoria and David

Seriously I fink my chances of goin back to united are slim princess

Em
10-01-2007, 16:32

Victoria and David

:rotfl: Thats made my day !

alan45
10-01-2007, 16:34

Victoria and David

:rotfl: Thats made my day !
They would probably be as popular:rotfl:

Katy
10-01-2007, 17:05
I tink hell go to the US, the pace is slower over there. I tink he still has a few more years left him in to play.

Bryan
10-01-2007, 18:11
i was watching a show about the Beckhams recently and they were asking what would happen once Real drops him

apparantly they are going to move to Hollywood (Posh is looking for houses near Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes) Beckham is suppose to be opening a soccer school.

I reckon he should just go into managaing now, he should do a good job of that.

Katy
11-01-2007, 08:52
i dont think he has a footbaling mind to be a manager. I still reckon hell sign for one of the MLS teams. Hes not as old as Reyna and thats where hes going (hopefully) They still get paid a lot not that they need it. Hes only 33, Reynas a couple of years older. I thin hell continue like his old teammate Teddy still playing at 40.

Footie_Chick
11-01-2007, 12:02
He won't manage yet anyway, the news recons he'll go to america to play, which is good for him as he'll still get to play but it would be fantasic for him to finish his career at united but i doubt it very much.

alan45
11-01-2007, 14:40
Personally I dont think Beckham is as good a player as he obviously thinks he is. Real obviousl dont think he is that good or they would be playing him every week. He is not as good as he once was and I think it would be terrible for som English/Scottish club to pay a fortune for him when they could probably buy 2 or 3 better players for a lot less. Lets face it he didnt exactly shine in the recent World Cup. Stick to the modelling David. It will make the princess very 'appy:)

Skits
11-01-2007, 16:43
Beckham confirms LA Galaxy deal
Thursday, 11 January 2007 4:03

David Beckham is set to become the biggest soccer star in the US

David Beckham will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season and join side Los Angeles Galaxy on a $250 million five-year deal.

alan45
11-01-2007, 17:26
Beckham confirms LA Galaxy deal
Thursday, 11 January 2007 4:03

David Beckham is set to become the biggest soccer star in the US

David Beckham will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season and join side Los Angeles Galaxy on a $250 million five-year deal.

That will suit the pouting clothes-horse

$250 million SCANDALOUS:angry:

Cornishbabe
11-01-2007, 18:03
they said hell be earning a million us dollars a week! for running around kicking a ball

Em
11-01-2007, 18:07
Beckham agrees to LA Galaxy move
David Beckham will leave Real Madrid for LA Galaxy
Beckham will leave Real Madrid after four seasons
David Beckham will leave Real Madrid and join Major League Soccer side LA Galaxy at the end of the season.

The 31-year-old former England captain will sign a five-year deal, reportedly worth £128m.

Beckham said: "This week Real asked me to make a decision regarding their offer to extend my contract.

"After considering several options to stay in Madrid or join other major British and European teams, I have decided to join LA Galaxy."

Interview: David Beckham
Interview: American sports journalist Sean Wheelock
Replay: David Beckham quits as England captain

In a statement, Beckham continued: "I would like to thank the supporters and people of Madrid who have made my family and I feel so welcome in my time here, making this an extremely difficult decision to make.

I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football

David Beckham

"I have enjoyed my time in Spain enormously and I am extremely grateful to the club for giving me the opportunity to play for such a great team and their amazing fans.

"I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own.

"For the rest of this season I will continue to give 100% to my coach, team-mates and fans as I believe manager Fabio Capello will bring this club and its supporters the success they truly deserve."

Real Madrid confirmed Beckham's departure in a statement, saying: "Both parties have agreed that Beckham will not extend his current contract, which ends on 30 June 2007."

Beckham left Manchester United in July 2003 to sign for Real, who paid £25m for the midfielder's services.

However, in the three-and-a-half seasons since his arrival, the Spanish giants have failed to win any major trophies.

This season has proved particularly disappointing for Beckham, who was dropped by England coach Steve McClaren and then fell out of favour with Real boss Capello.

BBC Sport website reveals LA Galaxy would like to sign David Beckham
How the BBC Sport website broke the news in November

LA Galaxy admitted their interest in signing Beckham in November, when general manager Alexi Lalas told the BBC Sport website of his admiration for the former England captain.

In an exclusive interview, Lalas said: "The Los Angeles Galaxy are looked upon as the jewel of Major League Soccer.

"We play in the best stadium, we have had incredible success over the history of the league, we have had great individual players and great teams. There's a tradition of excellence.

"All of this leads to this race to become the first MLS super club, if you will.

"It is something we aspire to and in order to do that you have to have quality players, a direction and a passion, a good coach and you have to get credibility domestically and internationally.

"Signing players of Beckham's stature would be a wonderful step in the right direction not just for the Galaxy but for soccer in America."

606: DEBATE
He's won the FA Cup, Premiership, Champions League, been England captain and played for two of the best sides in the world - if he wants to go and play in America, I don't blame him

CR
606: Have your say

Beckham is the biggest name to sign up for Major League Soccer since its inception in 1996 and the most famous player to play club football in the US since Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and Johan Cruyff competed in the North American Soccer League in the 1970s and early '80s.

LA Galaxy are owned by sports and entertainment giants AEG, who are also partners in Beckham's soccer academy in Los Angeles.

AEG president Timothy J. Leiweke said: "David Beckham will have a greater impact on soccer in America than any athlete has ever had on a sport globally.

"David is truly the only individual that can build the 'bridge' between soccer in America and the rest of the world."

OMG!!! An obscene amoutt of money!

Seems like Posh got her way though!!

Katy
11-01-2007, 18:27
I knew America would have been where hed end up. Psycho admitted he wanted him. Glad he didnt come as he aint as good as he used to be and my theory is once a red always a red.

pookie1968uk
12-01-2007, 15:20
latest quote from david beckham........

"It's a huge amount of money and it's what most people are talking about over here in Europe," he said. "But I've said before: This move … is not about the money. It's hopefully making a difference in the U.S. with the soccer. … The main thing for me is to improve the soccer and improve the standard and change history really."

lol lol lol i thought this was so funny!!! are we supposed to believe he's not doing it for the money but for the game of football!!!!!!:rotfl:

alan45
12-01-2007, 15:26
latest quote from david beckham........

"It's a huge amount of money and it's what most people are talking about over here in Europe," he said. "But I've said before: This move … is not about the money. It's hopefully making a difference in the U.S. with the soccer. … The main thing for me is to improve the soccer and improve the standard and change history really."

:
Its not about the money My AR*E. George Best and Pele both went to the US to play football and they made no difference in getting the Americans interested. So I hardly think that Beckham is going to make the slightest difference. David Beckham Soccer Missionary ha ha I think not:moonie:

Katy
12-01-2007, 15:28
Its all about the money, whatever he says. Americans want to play baseball or basket ball not football. Hes kidding himself.