PDA

View Full Version : Producers trying to get Susan Tully to return for xmas

Emmak2005
31-07-2006, 19:23
Just read on another messageboard that the producers are trying to get Susan back (who played Michelle Fowler) to possibly film the final scenes of Wendy Richards character Pauline (Michelle's mum).

I hope this is true, because she's missed her dads funeral and to miss her mums final storyline would be just tragic. And surely Susan would want to tie up any lose ends with her character. Funny that she has never met her younger brother on screen though. So it'd be nice to see her bond with Martin if she ever did decide to come back - even if it was for a brief moment.

crazygirl
31-07-2006, 19:41
i think she might make an apperance for the funeral if pauline dies

Chris_2k11
31-07-2006, 19:42
I personally can't see her coming back.

alan45
31-07-2006, 20:24
I personally can't see her coming back. Me neither, she didnt return for Arfurs death, Marks death, Den's death, the death of any of best friend Miss Piggy's many lovers. Wishful thinking if they think Sue Tully will return to their ailing soap. When she left EE was deservedly a ratings topper not like the pale imitation it is now

Richie_lecturer
31-07-2006, 21:21
Very well said Alan. They may as well just film Pauline's (if she dies) funeral off-screen anyway to avoid an absolute farce. One bad thing if Michelle returned would be that she will bring Sharon with her. :sick:

Jojo
31-07-2006, 21:25
I can't see her coming back to be honest - shes enjoying life behind the camera now rather than infront of it.

In The Know
31-07-2006, 21:28
Me neither, she didnt return for Arfurs death, Marks death, Den's death, the death of any of best friend Miss Piggy's many lovers. Wishful thinking if they think Sue Tully will return to their ailing soap. When she left EE was deservedly a ratings topper not like the pale imitation it is now

Did you see EastEnders tonight? it is anything but an ailing soap.

sarah21
31-07-2006, 21:49
Did you see EastEnders tonight? it is anything but an ailing soap.

Exactly. I don't know what all this 'ailing' soap is about. It had low ratings when it was a hot summer night and there were only 10 million viewers to be had. Emmerdale had a very big storyline that had been advertised for weeks, and is still all over bill boards and magazines, that started at 7pm and continued through EE. It was bound to get good figures, in fact it should have done much better. But of course, since then, the knives have been out again for EE.

I don't know how people can compare past EE with today's EE. For a start, there were only 4 channels available and those 20 million+ figures will never be repeated. Secondly, you can't compare storylines. Times have changed. What shocked people 20 years ago, e.g. teenage pregnancy, HIV, drugs, a gay couple, wife beating, don't shock anymore. People seem to want big explosive crap like Emmerdale's latest disaster to the village, which personally I thought was hilariously bad, to family storylines. You only have to look at movies these days. All action and special effects and no storylines or scripts. And soaps are all suffering too. As I said, times have changed and I don't know what the answer is.

That said, tonight's EE was very well written and extremely powerful. EE have some very good new characters played by excellent actors and now have something to build on.

Back to Sue Tully. I would like to see her reappear, but I doubt very much that she will.

Bryan
31-07-2006, 21:57
if she doesnt come back for wendy richards final goodbye then nothing will ever bring it back, we could do with a month of her back so we could do the grant father thing at the same time

Chris_2k11
31-07-2006, 21:58
A very sensible and accurately thought out post sarah. :)

alan45
31-07-2006, 22:13
I don't know how people can compare past EE with today's EE. For a start, there were only 4 channels available and those 20 million+ figures will never be repeated. Secondly, you can't compare storylines. Times have changed. What shocked people 20 years ago, e.g. teenage pregnancy, HIV, drugs, a gay couple, wife beating, don't shock anymore. People seem to want big explosive crap like Emmerdale's latest disaster to the village, which personally I thought was hilariously bad, to family storylines. You only have to look at movies these days. All action and special effects and no storylines or scripts. And soaps are all suffering too. As I said, times have changed and I don't know what the answer is.

The fact that there were only 4 channels back then has absolutely nothing to do do with anything. The storylines then were far better written and acted. The reason these storylines dont feature so well nowadays is because they are ill thought out and poorly acted. Its nothing to do with them being shocking back then. The stories are shocking nowadays but for different reasons. How can you compare excellent storylines like Kathys Rape, Den and Angies divorce with the drivel we are asked to watch nowadays. Sonia the 2 week Lesbian and part time alchololic. Come off it.

Compare tonights lame offering with the superb drama that was Emmerdale. No sign of an explosion there. Just superb acting of a dramatic storyline. Compared to Dots miracle cure for her cancer. I dont blame June Brown but the material she had to work with was diabolical in the extreme.

Eastenders is and ailing soap. Last year the blamed the weather now this year its hour long episodes of Emmerdale. Take off the rose tinted glasses. Admit EE is far from good. Maybe the producers will listen and give it a kiss of life before the ailing soap becomes a terminal case.

In The Know
31-07-2006, 22:29
The fact that there were only 4 channels back then has absolutely nothing to do do with anything. The storylines then were far better written and acted. The reason these storylines dont feature so well nowadays is because they are ill thought out and poorly acted. Its nothing to do with them being shocking back then. The stories are shocking nowadays but for different reasons. How can you compare excellent storylines like Kathys Rape, Den and Angies divorce with the drivel we are asked to watch nowadays. Sonia the 2 week Lesbian and part time alchololic. Come off it.

Compare tonights lame offering with the superb drama that was Emmerdale. No sign of an explosion there. Just superb acting of a dramatic storyline. Compared to Dots miracle cure for her cancer. I dont blame June Brown but the material she had to work with was diabolical in the extreme.

Eastenders is and ailing soap. Last year the blamed the weather now this year its hour long episodes of Emmerdale. Take off the rose tinted glasses. Admit EE is far from good. Maybe the producers will listen and give it a kiss of life before the ailing soap becomes a terminal case. #

Sounds like your just desparate.:lweek:

Jojo
31-07-2006, 22:47
#

Sounds like your just desparate.:lweek: No need for personal insults - everyone is entitled to their opinions. Please remember this when posting...

Chloe O'brien
01-08-2006, 11:34
I don't think susan tully will return to EE she has been away from the soap too long. She has made a career behind the camera and I don't think she has done any actiing since leaving EE though I may be wrong. If she was to return I hope it would be just to give pauline a happy ending may be take her back to the states to live.

Babe14
01-08-2006, 12:25

Eastenders is and ailing soap. Last year the blamed the weather now this year its hour long episodes of Emmerdale. Take off the rose tinted glasses. Admit EE is far from good. Maybe the producers will listen and give it a kiss of life before the ailing soap becomes a terminal case.

Well said Alan45:) A very true and constructive post.

In addition to your comments:

The way I see it the blame lies with the producers/writers -

Wrong characters are used in storylines which they have tried to reproduce, Della/Binnie/Steve - Excellent successful
Modern day version Sonia/Martin/Naomi - Disaster , wrong characters used and bad scripting.
They have wasted characters with excellent potential and destroyed good characters through terrible storyines.
Constant repetition.
Issuing blank cheques in an effort to lure old characters back which has mainly failed and the character has either been ruined or lost a huge amount of creditability.

Going back to the topic of the thread.
Yes it would be good to see Michelle back again, but only breifly as a long stay would ruin the character given the way the soap is at the moment.
Personally I can't see Susan coming back.

Nigella harman
01-08-2006, 12:54

Eastenders is and ailing soap. Last year the blamed the weather now this year its hour long episodes of Emmerdale. Take off the rose tinted glasses. Admit EE is far from good. Maybe the producers will listen and give it a kiss of life before the ailing soap becomes a terminal case. For a near terminal case it did pretty well last night,9 million tuned in.:)

alan45
01-08-2006, 13:37
For a near terminal case it did pretty well last night,9 million tuned in.:) Yes and a few weeks ago it got an all time low of 3.6 million. Its just not consistent anymore. Corrie and Emmerdale viewers maintain their average veiwers/ratings.

diamond1
01-08-2006, 13:44
Like kathy they should of killed michelle offscreen to save further embarassment ,she never attends anyones funeral which is unlikely although with the ammount of people that die in walford she would be in serious debt going back and forth

Nigella harman
01-08-2006, 14:00
Yes and a few weeks ago it got an all time low of 3.6 million. Its just not consistent anymore. Corrie and Emmerdale viewers maintain their average veiwers/ratings. There was a very good reason for that though.:)and i cant imagine what would happen if Eastenders put an equivalent show(say Dennis Rickmans murder)up against a normal episode of Emmerdale and Emmerdale started halfway through. To be fair only this sunday Emmerdales ratings suffered against the totp finale(an ailing show,hardely a major player) and did also against big brother weeks ago,reaching I think 3.8 mil,unlike Eastenders this wasnt a one off though,their ratings were very low around that time.And even though it was in a different time slot,it was the only soap that was given a regular well publicised time slot,unlike Corrie and Eastenders that were moved allover.The viewers had a difficult job catching them cos we ended up never knowing when they were on.:)The thing that people seem to forget is that Eastenders give us the option of watching the repeat at ten on three and also the sunday omnibus,so instead of choosing which soap to watch we can watch both.Its a good thing for us.:)By the way it was 3.9.

alan45
01-08-2006, 14:10
although with the ammount of people that die in walford she would be in serious debt going back and forth Probably but think of the airmiles she would have clocked up:lol:

Siobhan
01-08-2006, 14:14
Like kathy they should of killed michelle offscreen to save further embarassment ,she never attends anyones funeral which is unlikely although with the ammount of people that die in walford she would be in serious debt going back and forth

That would also be a good way of getting rid of Pauline too.. Michelle dies, pauline gets the news and has a heart attack.. both gone, no more mrs bulldog and daughter

JustJodi
01-08-2006, 14:32
Wait a min,, Martin, Sonia and Pauline are all leaving .. so if Michelle should come back just for Paulines exit episode, then she has no reason to go back, cos Martin will not be there ... Or has things changed and Martin is staying in Walford ???
Any one know ???

JustJodi
01-08-2006, 14:37
Me neither, she didnt return for Arfurs death, Marks death, Den's death, the death of any of best friend Miss Piggy's many lovers. Wishful thinking if they think Sue Tully will return to their ailing soap. When she left EE was deservedly a ratings topper not like the pale imitation it is now

Lemme think, did they bring Spencer back for nana Moons funeral,, NO
Did they bring Vicky back for Dens and Dennis funeral NO,,
So why bring back Michelle for Pauline,, nahhhhhhh
I say let old sour face just move to America with joe and retire and we never ever hear from her again,,

Pinkbanana
01-08-2006, 14:48
I think, there's no chance of getting Susan Tully (is that right sp of surname?) back in Enders. As somebody has said she is now a producer (I think on Enders) and has left acting behind her.

I reckon they have got more chance of recasting and getting Sandra Bullock to play Michelle, than getting the orginal one back! :rotfl:

(Just watch this space, will probably be left with egg well and truly on face, if they somehow lure her back for a one off Christmas special!):sick:

alan45
01-08-2006, 16:10
(Just watch this space, will probably be left with egg well and truly on face, if they somehow lure her back for a one off Christmas special!):sick:

Just throw vast sums of the tellytax payers money at her.

Pinkbanana
01-08-2006, 16:44
If they really want Michelle to return, I dont know why they dont just recast the role.

The orginal Michelle hasnt been in it for years, so they could get another one (from the job centre) and I bet quite a few (of the newer viewers) would be none the wiser!

They've done it before with characters, what soap hasn't. Enders have had at least three Sams, haven't they? So why not a brand new Michelle?

alan45
01-08-2006, 17:03
So why not a brand new Michelle? Better still why not a new producer and some decent writers

Pinkbanana
01-08-2006, 18:46
The more I think about it, the more I think they really should recast the role of Michelle. If indeed they are going to kill off the old satsuma (Pauline) at Christmas, then Michelle would be expected to return for the funeral (though they haven't bothered having her return for the various funerals of other folk) of her dear ol' mum.

It will be interesting if they dont have her return this time, what excuse will be used, (ie baggage handlers' strike etc..) to explain her absence!

Babe14
02-08-2006, 05:49
Better still why not a new producer and some decent writers

:rotfl: Maybe ask the producers/writers of Emmerdale for some tips on how to write decent scripts and produce amazing storylines.

Babe14
02-08-2006, 05:52
Eastenders give us the option of watching the repeat at ten on three and also the sunday omnibus,so instead of choosing which soap to watch we can watch both.Its a good thing for us.:)By the way it was 3.9.

Emmerdale and Corrie have an omnibus on ITV3:)

Kim
02-08-2006, 11:39
I can't see it happening, but even if Susan agreed, it would be too unrealistic even for Eastenders. She didn't bother to show for her mum's wedding, her brother's funeral or anything of any importance.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
02-08-2006, 13:16
I really doubt she come after all these years.. If she hadn't turned up all these times, why would she do it now?!

crazygirl
02-08-2006, 22:12
you never know she might become ill and go and live in america with michelle

alan45
02-08-2006, 22:58
you never know she might become ill and go and live in america with michelle Highly unlikely. Have you seen the cost of medical treatment over there:readtheru

crazygirl
03-08-2006, 10:04
Highly unlikely. Have you seen the cost of medical treatment over there:readtheru ok your right! it looks like she is going to die but of what?

alan45
03-08-2006, 11:05
ok your right! it looks like she is going to die but of what? Strangled by her cardie perhaps:rotfl: or she smiles for once and her body cant cope

x Amby x
03-08-2006, 15:14
LIke many people have said i feel that if Pauline dies, there might be a chance that she'll return for the funeral, and to check on Martin etc...

alan45
03-08-2006, 20:33
LIke many people have said i feel that if Pauline dies, there might be a chance that she'll return for the funeral, and to check on Martin etc... Why did she not return for ALL the other funerals then.??????:confused:

Richie_lecturer
03-08-2006, 21:57
ok your right! it looks like she is going to die but of what?
She is eaten alive by a hormone-enhanced washing machine, which turns into a full-blooded eating machine one afternoon in the laundrette.

alan45
03-08-2006, 22:15
She is eaten alive by a hormone-enhanced washing machine, which turns into a full-blooded eating machine one afternoon in the laundrette. Richie please do not give the crack fuelled elstree fantasy writers any more daft ideas

Pinkbanana
03-08-2006, 22:17
Did Michelle leave before, or after Arthur (RIP) died?!

Just wondered.... as if it was before his death, then how was her absence from his funeral explained?

alan45
03-08-2006, 22:39
As far as I recall 'Shell left for the US in 1995 and Arfur went to the allotment in the sky in 1996

DaVeyWaVey
05-08-2006, 18:06
It would be good if she did return but the character of Michelle has never returned for any other family event but hopefully she will return for Pauline's departure as it would make the storyline a lot more realistic.

Mr Humphries
12-08-2006, 12:27
Maybe this is the perfect time for eastenders to wrap up all the lose ends. Sharon and Michelle to return for the final time (Yes Sharon for the final time) say goodbye to pauline in what ever shape or form. Get the whole grant and michelle kid thing over and done with too.

Then maybe Eastenders could start a fresh with the some of the lose ends tied up once and for all

Chris_2k11
12-08-2006, 14:33
easier said than done. :cool: