PDA

View Full Version : emmerdale thrashed easties last night! RATINGS!

chance
02-03-2005, 11:22
Emmerdale emerged victorious over EastEnders in a heated head-to-head battle last night.

Both soaps aired special one-hour episodes at 7pm and, according to early figures, Emmerdale came out on top with almost 50% more viewers than its BBC rival.

An average of 9.06 million viewers - a 40.6% share of the available audience - tuned to ITV1, whereas just 6.27 million (28.1%) opted for the latest from Albert Square.

The figures mark EastEnders' second lowest ever in its 20-year history; the lowest being 6.2 million during another head-to-head in September of last year

angelblue
02-03-2005, 11:29
What is going on why are rating so low and why are people picking on ee all the time its wots ever they cant win

I thought ee was really good last night but i did see an bit of emmerdale that was really good as well :)

chance
02-03-2005, 11:31
emmerdale was truly worth the hours episode,eastenders was like two half hour normal episodes merged in to one.its was really boring and just a every day episode thats why figures are so low.if ee was so good why were you switvhing over to see snippets of emmerdale?

stacyefc
02-03-2005, 11:33
i think the problem with eastenders is they concentrate on one storyline too much. i agree it was like two half hour episodes.

angelblue
02-03-2005, 11:34
Because i saw a snippet of it when charity gate crashes the party and shows the tape and punches sadie thats why?

By the way are you from the ee boards bcoz i remember your name :)

chance
02-03-2005, 11:36
:) iwas on the boards where tina did the predictions. i wasnt being rude if it came across that way :)

angelblue
02-03-2005, 11:41
No not all i nice to see their some people from the ee board :)

asforgrant
02-03-2005, 11:51
what were they thinking puttin both ee and emmerdale on at the same time emmerdale was good and full of action ee just showed everyday normal life where nothing really happaned usually ee is great :p

daisy38
02-03-2005, 11:57
I think (but i could be well wrong) that Eastenders was only on for an hour last night because it's not on at all next Friday coz of Comic Relief! :) :D

gman2005
02-03-2005, 12:33
Both EE & ED were down ED normally gets 10.5 million so both lost out depsite Emmerdale coming up on top.

Behemoth
02-03-2005, 12:59
Eastenders is far better than Emmerdale and besides, those figures are based on a sample of about 50,000 households.

dddMac1
02-03-2005, 14:04
i had a feeling that would happen cause Emmerdale was much better Sadie getting what she deserves and Charitys Exit let that be a lesson to the BBC puting it on at the same time as Emmerdale knowing full well Eastenders aint strong enough to trash Emmerdale or any other soap yet

Cherryz
02-03-2005, 16:36
Can I ask if anyone knows how they work out the figures? lol i've always wanted to know.

Treacle
02-03-2005, 16:51
I think (but i could be well wrong) that Eastenders was only on for an hour last night because it's not on at all next Friday coz of Comic Relief! :) :D
EastEnders have an episode THIS Friday but next week I think they're missing one but there's another one hour special coming up shortly :D :p

Treacle
02-03-2005, 16:52
They had a good special episode with Charity leaving and I watched it myself. EastEnders just had two back to back normal episodes. On a normal weeknight EastEnders emerges as the UK's number 2 soap and thrashes Emmerdale.

Debs
02-03-2005, 18:08
i didnt watch emmerdale lasst night but i have to admit when i watched it the other day i was glued and i never usually watch it. last night eastenders was rubbish.

sweety<3chickxx
02-03-2005, 18:48
emmerdale rocked betta dan ee last nite big timeeee

Behemoth
02-03-2005, 19:29
Can I ask if anyone knows how they work out the figures? lol i've always wanted to know.
About 50,000 people around the country volunteraly have a special box plugged into their TV which records what they watch and sends the information to some company. They use these 50,000 to work out a good estimate of what the whole of Britain was watching. But as there are about 60million people living in Britain, it can't be that accurate.
As an example, if 25,000 of the 50,000 people watched Eastenders then they assume that 30million people across Britain watched it.

Cherryz
02-03-2005, 19:35
ooohhh. well...thats stupid.

Behemoth
02-03-2005, 19:39
Very stupid! It can't possibly be accurate.

Mr_Cellophane
02-03-2005, 21:31

There are lots of companies calculating viewing figures - hence different figures for the same shows.
Here is how the main one does it:

BARB provides in-home TV viewing measurement for the UK. This is obtained from a panel of 5100 homes. These homes return data from around 11,500 viewers. Viewing from visitors to the home is included (Guest Viewing). Viewing figures are available to subscribers the morning after transmission (Live Viewing). VCR playback is incorporated within seven days of transmission (Consolidated Viewing). Audiences are reported on a minute-by-minute basis.
The panel design is representative of the whole of the UK. People are recruited from all sectors of the population. All viewing environments are represented. Multiple TV sets are measured. BARB measures both analogue and digital delivery via cable, satellite and terrestrial distribution.

Basically, they have a set top box which works out what is on and the veiwers enter the number of people viewing. This is then sent down the phone line each morning. If you think 5100 homes is not representative, MORI Opinion Polls ask around 2000 people.
Somewhat less than Osiris said, but they have been doing it for years, so they know how to pick a representative sample.
It is all to do with the confidence interval and correlation coefficients which I have no intention of discussing here.

Behemoth
02-03-2005, 22:49
And I thought 50,000 people was a small sample.....