PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane has announced his retirement

Skits
12-06-2006, 13:46
Roy Keane today announced his retirement from football because of injury.

In a statement, the Celtic midfielder player claimed he was quitting following medical advice.

In a shock announcement, the 34-year-old confirmed the news on the Celtic website: "Having received medical advice from my surgeon and the Celtic FC doctor, I feel my only option is to retire."

"I would like to send the manager, the staff, players and supporters my very best wishes for the future."

Celtic boss Gordon Strachan praised the contribution Keane had made to football and the Hoops.

He said: "Roy Keane is one of the greatest ever players to grace the game.

"It was fantastic that we were able to bring him to Celtic and it has been a privilege to work with him.

"Even in his short time with the club, Roy made a great contribution and played an important part in bringing success to the club last season.

"While we would have very much liked Roy to continue for the remainder of his contract, everyone at the club fully understands and respects the decision he has made.

"Roy's retirement will be a loss to Celtic and, of course, a loss to football in general."

Keane made his debut for the Hoops in the Tennent's Scottish Cup third-round defeat by Clyde in January.

The transfer, however, represented the fulfilment of an ambition for the Cork star.

Keane's injury problems date back to September 1997 when he suffered a knee injury while trying to foul Leeds United's Alfie Haaland at Elland Road and missed the rest of the season with cruciate ligament damage.

Keane announced his international retirement in October 2005 and on November 1 his blunt assessment of the 4-1 Premiership humiliation at Middlesbrough was pulled off the MUTV schedules.

Seventeen days later he left United by mutual consent and on December 15 he signed for Celtic in an 18-month deal.

Taken from the RTE website

Siobhan
12-06-2006, 13:48
Did he not already retire ages ago??? Or is he just always saying he is retiring but never does?

Skits
12-06-2006, 13:50
if you read the article above, you would've seen he announced his retirement from international soccer in October but not domestic soccer.

Katy
12-06-2006, 14:00
no great loss to football, yes he was a great player for the pepublic of Ireland, but the EPL and the SPL can do without a player that kicks people for his career. I loved keano, before he ruined haarlands career.

ericca
13-06-2006, 00:07
Huge Man U thought he was great and was sad when he left Old Trafford,a fantastic player.

tammyy2j
05-07-2006, 13:04
What a loss he was a great player and captain i don't think United have anyone who can replace him. I hope he returns as a manager of United some day. He didn't really play much for Celtic but i am glad that he proved it wasn't about money when he moved there considering the interest from overseas clubs who offered him big wages. He is a true legend.