PDA

View Full Version : New Character Rob: Gay?

Bryan
24-05-2006, 17:39
Found this on Walford Web, dont know if there is any truth in it:

According to The Sun today, Rob Minter is to be EastEnders's latest gay character. The succesful bank account manager arrives this summer in a storyline with Ian Beale and will become known on the Square. Rob, played by Stuart Laing, will be Walford's first gay male character in quite a few years. The last gay man to grace the Square was Dr Fonsecka, who played a minor role in the Square before leaving.

Recently, the BBC has come underfire for its lack of gay character portrayed in its dramas and other tv programming. Late last year the soap introduced nurse Naomi, who became involved with Sonia Fowler. It is understood this latest character is understood to be similar to that of Colin Russell, a gay male character who lived on the Square in 1986. Colin was a succesful businesman and was involved in a relationship with Barry Clark, who turned Colin's life upside down.

BlackKat
24-05-2006, 17:49
Well according to AAS he's going to be involved with Dawn Swann, who's supposed to be getting a new love interest soon, which I assumed would be him. So I don't think he will be. I suppose they could go the "Dawn really likes him, but he turns out to be gay," route...:searchme:

Bryan
24-05-2006, 17:53
Well according to AAS he's going to be involved with Dawn Swann, who's supposed to be getting a new love interest soon, which I assumed would be him. So I don't think he will be. I suppose they could go the "Dawn really likes him, but he turns out to be gay," route...:searchme:

I presumed that Dawn would get with Sean Slater, as they said they are bringing in a character just right for Dawn to get with. I'd rather see Dawn have strong ties to a lasting family in the show than an individual that the public may take a dislike too.

Time will tell I suppose.

Dutchgirl
24-05-2006, 19:23
Recently, the BBC has come underfire for its lack of gay character portrayed in its dramas and other tv programming.

Well they have dealt with that in The Line of Beauty, and very well indeed to my opinion, they do not need to put in gay characters only to solve this. They should do so if it fits in storyline.

DaVeyWaVey
24-05-2006, 21:31
I think it would be good if the new character of Rob was gay, I think Eastenders could do with a good gay character. There is Naomi, but she hasn't got any depth to her character and was brought in for a plot device, but i think it would be good if Rob was brought in as a gay character as long as he is involved in other storylines that don't focus on his sexuality. :)

di marco
26-05-2006, 09:45
Rob, played by Stuart Laing, will be Walford's first gay male character in quite a few years. The last gay man to grace the Square was Dr Fonsecka, who played a minor role in the Square before leaving.

hmmmmm wasnt derek gay as well?

Florijo
26-05-2006, 10:25
Well, if he is anything like Naomi and Derek then I don't hold out much hope for this character as those two were boring and rubbish and their sole storyline revolved around them being gay. Obviously it is important they address it but Naomi was just a blatant plot device.

*Jazzi*
22-07-2006, 20:47
i forgot all about derek what happened to him?

diamond1
22-07-2006, 20:50
like micheal on Big brother said people are bigger than their sexuality...being gay/lesbian dont mean they have to be a stereotype I bet the whole sonia/naomi thing was an insult to gay people.Eastenders shouldnt even go there

Pinkbanana
22-07-2006, 22:53
I dont think he is gay the way he was with her in the bank the other week. Bet he gave her extra benefits on that credit card!! lol

Also if I rememeber correctly people said Bradley Branning was going to be gay! So I take anything like that with a huge bucketful of salt.

I do agree they need more gay characters, mind you... Sonia was one for a week or so recently. lol

BlackKat
22-07-2006, 22:54
Also if I rememeber correctly people said Bradley Branning was going to be gay! So I take anything like that with a huge bucketful of salt.

People said it about Deano as well I think. Actually I think I read one rumour where Bradley and Deano were going to be lovers, :eek:

diamond1
22-07-2006, 22:58
look guys dennis was meant to be gay aswell 8 months into the show...I belive it until it has bee confirmed by a source.

they have just bombed with sonia and naomi it would even worse for them to make it worse by another cliche gay person...anyway wasnt rob going to a peadofile at one stage...then an affair with jane...then dawn...then turning gay

pretty lively bloke if this is anything to go by:lol:

Pinkbanana
22-07-2006, 23:02
Sounds like he is going to be a busy boy! lol How is he going to fit in any of those walford (masons) traders meeting? You know the ones led by that father christmas look alike.

diamond1
22-07-2006, 23:06
im glad youve noticed that mason-like thing they got going on....its weird

I think rob isnt any of the above (apart from the dawn one) I think he's gonna screw ian over (erm money wise you dirty swine)I think him and that older guy with the beard are in it togther to swindle money out of people like ian

Pinkbanana
22-07-2006, 23:11
im glad youve noticed that mason-like thing they got going on....its weird

I think rob isnt any of the above (apart from the dawn one) I think he's gonna screw ian over (erm money wise you dirty swine)I think him and that older guy with the beard are in it togther to swindle money out of people like ian

Oh my god its getting very sinister down Walford way. Yeah I think Rob is going to be a dodgy dude. Him and father Christmas are definitely up to no good!!!

DaVeyWaVey
23-07-2006, 00:27
Eastenders is at their weakest point with gay characters in my opinion. They tried to show it with the Sonia and Naomi relationship but i felt like it was a complete disaster and a wasted opportunity for a storyline where Sonia could have explored and be confused over her sexuality....EE definetly needs more gay characters, i thought it would have been good if Rob was gay, but i don't think he is as he has been flirting with Dawn and other rumours have been going round about him too with him being involved in a paedophilia storyline.

Kim
27-07-2006, 23:23
I read in soaplife that he seems to be interested in Dawn, so I don't think that there is any truth in it.

Chris_2k11
27-07-2006, 23:39
Not ANOTHER new character. They've turned it into a different show!

Richie_lecturer
28-07-2006, 21:00
Yes it's called DeadEnders now. :p

There's a few other new characters joining soon too. It must be awful if one stopped watching six months ago, as they won't know any of the cast now!

Kim
28-07-2006, 22:12
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1664/fa189036ly6.th.jpg (http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fa189036ly6.jpg)

neetamon
29-07-2006, 14:06
dont no if he's interested in her (dawn) but I think she's interested in him but he thinks she is Ian's wife. I also heard he takes a shine to lucy Ian's daughter