PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool FA Cup champs!

chance
13-05-2006, 19:24
Liverpool won a thrilling FA Cup final on penalties against West Ham.

West Ham took an early two-goal lead with a Jamie Carragher own goal and Dean Ashton's close-range strike, before Djibril Cisse pulled one back.

Steven Gerrard lashed home an equaliser after the break before Paul Konchesky's speculative cross put West Ham ahead.

Gerrard's stunning last-minute strike forced extra time and Pepe Reina saved from Bobby Zamora, Konchesky and Anton Ferdinand in the shoot-out.

It was cruel on West Ham, but Liverpool kept their nerve as the tension mounted, with Dietmar Hamman, Gerrard and John Arne Riise on target - only veteran Teddy Sheringham scored for West Ham.

The three big injury doubts were all passed fit, with Liverpool able to select Xabi Alonso and West Ham including Ashton and Matthew Etherington.

And Ashton was instrumental as West Ham shocked Liverpool and took the lead after 21 minutes.

Ashton's brilliant pass released Lionel Scaloni, and his cross was unwittingly turned past Reina by the inrushing Carragher.

And another error, this time by keeper Reina, handed West Ham a two-goal advantage six minutes later.

Etherington's tame shot should have posed no problem for Reina, but he fumbled the ball at the feet of Ashton, who bundled home from close range.

West Ham got some lucky goals but played in exactly the right way - I'm as disappointed for them as I'm delighted for our lads

From Liverpool fan
Have your say on 606

Liverpool desperately needed to hit back quickly, and after Peter Crouch had a header ruled out for offside, Cisse threw the favourites a lifeline after 31 minutes.

The French striker met Gerrard's raking pass on the volley to fire a firm finish past Shaka Hislop.

Ashton was a constant source of danger, and he was only inches off target with an angled drive as Liverpool struggled to contain the striker.

Reina made amends for his earlier mistake with two crucial saves in the space of seconds just after the re-start.

Etherington's cross exposed Liverpool, and Reina blocked from Yossi Benayoun and Marlon Harewood in quick succession.

But Liverpool were level after 54 minutes, from the most predictable source, captain Gerrard.

Alonso's free-kick was headed down by Crouch and Liverpool's inspirational captain lashed a fierce drive high past Shaka Hislop.

But just as Liverpool seemed to have assumed control, West Ham regained the lead in freakish fashion.

Konchesky's left-wing cross was speculative at best, but it caught the back-pedalling Reina off guard and floated in.

As the clock ticked around to 90 minutes, Gerrard was Liverpool's saviour again when he struck a first-time drive from fully 35 yards that flew past Hislop.

Extra time began and Riise almost scored a goal to rank alongside Gerrard's with a long-range drive that flew just over the angle.

West Ham almost snatched victory with 90 seconds left of extra-time, when Nigel Reo-Coker's deflection was turned on to the post by Reina, and Harewood - suffering badly from cramp - shot wide of an open goal.

It set up a dramatic penalty shoot-out, with Reina making up for a poor performance during normal time with three crucial spot-kick saves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool: Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Gerrard, Alonso (Kromkamp 67), Sissoko, Kewell (Morientes 48), Cisse, Crouch (Hamann 71).
Subs Not Used: Dudek, Traore.Booked: Carragher, Hamann.

Goals: Cisse 32, Gerrard 54, 90.

West Ham: Hislop, Scaloni, Ferdinand, Gabbidon, Konchesky, Benayoun, Fletcher (Dailly 77), Reo-Coker, Etherington (Sheringham 85), Ashton (Zamora 71), Harewood.
Subs Not Used: Walker, Collins.

Booked: Ashton.

Goals: Carragher 21 og, Ashton 28, Konchesky 64.
Liverpool win 3-1 on penalties.

Att: 74,000

Ref: A Wiley (Staffordshire).

Chloe-Elise
13-05-2006, 19:47
Awwww I wanted West Ham to win in the end, they both played really well but West Ham really deserved it. Liverpool and the big clubs always win everything....

Well done to both teams though, brilliant match :)

crazygirl
13-05-2006, 22:18
it was a tough game which made it interesting to watch!! i was not bothered who won though

Katy
13-05-2006, 22:46
Whiley, the big Plonker. That idiot needed to go to specsavers.

Liverpool did not deserve the win at all. west Ham were the better side. If we are being honest the final result was actually West Ham 3 - Steven Gerrard 3. Without him there were useless. I was absolutly gutted to see Liverpool score those penaltys. It was a great game but the best team didnt win.

Layne
14-05-2006, 12:42
Liverpool did deserve to win! Big Up the Reds wooo! :thumbsup: :cheer:
It was a great game, and our goalie was amazing!
Well done liverpool well deserved!

lollymay
14-05-2006, 12:51
im glad liverpool won because they played better, but it was a really exciting match.

chance
14-05-2006, 13:06
Whiley, the big Plonker. That idiot needed to go to specsavers.

Liverpool did not deserve the win at all. west Ham were the better side. If we are being honest the final result was actually West Ham 3 - Steven Gerrard 3. Without him there were useless. I was absolutly gutted to see Liverpool score those penaltys. It was a great game but the best team didnt win.

Liverpool handed west ham a 2 goal start,yes liverpool were sloppy for the first 20 minutes but then they were stunned into action.Whether you like liverpool or not you have to give them credit for refusing not to lie down the same as it was in istambul (sp) last year.Yes steven gerrard capped a great individual performance but one man doesnt make a team.
Facts of the game:
liverpool gifted west hams first goal
astons goal reina fumbled
3rd goal was a mere fluke
yes west ham played with guts and determination and went for it but all three goals had a massive slice of luck aboutit,lets be honest.Liverpool on the other hand made there own luck and dug them selves out of trouble.
Not once but three times.Including a great world class save fromn reina when he tipped the ball onto the bar from rio cokers header.On merit west ham tried real hard but liverpool more then deserved to win it.Reinas penalty saves,all three outstanding,the sign of a class team is never knowing when they are beaten,all the great teams have it,its called spirit!

comisserations (sp?) to west ham but...

Liverpool fc FA cup final winners 2006!!

ps: are you a man u fan by any chance?

Katy
14-05-2006, 13:17
a Man U fan i dont think so!!!

No im a city fan.

IMO Pardews boys deserved the win, everytime Liverpool let in a goal it was due to sloppy defence, and the hammers weer ahead three time. I knew Liverpool would win on Penaltys due to Reina being the better keeper between him and hislop.

pookie1968uk
14-05-2006, 19:44
west ham did play well but liverpool held on for a fantastic win!!!!!!:cheer:
what an amazing goal from gerrard and as for reina he more than made up for his blunder with some fantastic penalty saves.
well done liverpool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheer:

Katy
15-05-2006, 10:01
it was hardly hard to save the penalties as West Ham went the same way each time. Yeah Gerrard was amazing to get that goal, but he was lucky, like West ham.

HIghlight was definatly Carraghers Own Goal!!!!. It was better than one of Richard Dunnes specialitys.

Jessie Wallace
15-05-2006, 13:04
Awsome game, nail bitter right to the end. Liverpool played rubbish first 20 minutes, but so lifted their game after that. Should have been 34 to Liverpool, there was no way he was off side (watch the re-play Ref.)
Gerard, excellent as always two cracking goal, especailly the last one, Cisse great goal (weird bloke tho)
Although West Ham played well and put up a really good fight, Liverpool were the better players in the end and did so well to win.

Totally how a final match should be played, nail biting til the end.

Katy
15-05-2006, 13:08
The crouch goal was slightly offside, you could see on the replay, and if it wasnt and the goal had been allowed i doubt that Cisse would have scored his.

Jessie Wallace
15-05-2006, 13:15
It was a close call, but in my opinion, and those on BBC match of the day, it was on side. And wethere Cisse had scored or not after that is irrelevent, and can't be changed anyway. We won and that's the main thing.

Katy
15-05-2006, 13:31
well yeah, liverpool won, great if your a liverpool fan.

i think Parry is right by suggesting the use of a fourth sub in extra time. I think thats a good idea.

Jessie Wallace
15-05-2006, 13:36
Yes i am, so yes it is great :-)
Sub's an ok idea, i still perfer the way it is now.As people would save more of their sub's til the end, and then have a fresher team for if it went to extra time. Keep it as it is, no point changing something that ain't broke.

Katy
15-05-2006, 13:47
a shame for Harry Kewell, though. He didnt look to badly injured but been confirmed he tore his groin. Should only miss a bit of the world cup though.

Jessie Wallace
15-05-2006, 14:02
Well if they think Rooney as gonna be fit after breaking a bone, i think the Harry will be ok too.
I think he looked more tired than anything on Saturday.

Pixie
15-05-2006, 14:03
At the start of the match i thought west ham deserved to win but by the end of the game liverpoool had upped their game and deserved that win. Especially Gerrard who0 scorred some great goals

Katy
15-05-2006, 14:14
yeah he did look tired, according to reds officials he should be fine for the second group game. He impressed me in the first half, especially as he has had some dreadful games this season.

pookie1968uk
15-05-2006, 15:34
Awsome game, nail bitter right to the end. Liverpool played rubbish first 20 minutes, but so lifted their game after that. Should have been 34 to Liverpool, there was no way he was off side (watch the re-play Ref.)
Gerard, excellent as always two cracking goal, especailly the last one, Cisse great goal (weird bloke tho)
Although West Ham played well and put up a really good fight, Liverpool were the better players in the end and did so well to win.

Totally how a final match should be played, nail biting til the end.

cisse is definitely a weird bloke! he is so hit and miss. scored a fantastic goal on saturday but other times fails to produce anything at all. he is a showman but im sure he will have left liverpool this summer.

chance
15-05-2006, 23:05
it was hardly hard to save the penalties as West Ham went the same way each time. Yeah Gerrard was amazing to get that goal, but he was lucky, like West ham.

HIghlight was definatly Carraghers Own Goal!!!!. It was better than one of Richard Dunnes specialitys.

I'd of liked to have seen David James save them...

chance
15-05-2006, 23:13
cisse is definitely a weird bloke! he is so hit and miss. scored a fantastic goal on saturday but other times fails to produce anything at all. he is a showman but im sure he will have left liverpool this summer.

Cisse makes me laugh,he had me in hysterics the other day!