PDA

View Full Version : The Grand National?

Bryan
07-04-2006, 21:37
Is anyone else having a bet tomorrow? Its a family tradition to bet on this horse race, my moneys on Nil Desperandum and Silver Birch...

Does your family bet on the GN and who have you betted on?

SBBB - Congratulations! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bondboffin/bb7.jpgPassword = Davina.

Chloe O'brien
07-04-2006, 23:32
I'll be having a bet allways do it has been a family tradition that we all have a bet on the national even the kids. I have picked numbersixvalverde in the sweepstake at work. I am going to have a bet on Jack high and hedgehunter as I won £15 on it last year when it won. I spent my winnings in Toys r Us :D

alkalinetrio
08-04-2006, 00:10
i use to bet on this as a kid my dad done it for me but ive lost interest in it growing up!

CrazyLea
08-04-2006, 19:54
We normally do, but this year couldn't, but I was gunna pick lord of illusion. Glad I never bet now :p

Bryan
08-04-2006, 20:20
My horse came 4th and ive won a fiver! :cheer:

shannisrules
08-04-2006, 20:27
My horse came 4th and ive won a fiver!

ahhh but how much did you bet in the first place ....did you gain money or lose some?

di marco
08-04-2006, 20:29
ahhh but how much did you bet in the first place ....did you gain money or lose some?

yeh, thats exactly what i was going to say lol! :D

Bryan
08-04-2006, 21:46

50p each way (a quid in total) and i got just over a fiver in winnings which is a 4 quid profit! :cheer:

di marco
08-04-2006, 21:49
50p each way (a quid in total) and i got just over a fiver in winnings which is a 4 quid profit! :cheer:

well thats not bad then lol! :)

Chloe O'brien
09-04-2006, 00:09
i picked the winner in the sweepstake at work I think i will get about £20 back. Marley picked hedghunter as it won last year and she got the money. I dont know what I will get for 2nd place i put £1 each way on it.

Chloe O'brien
10-04-2006, 00:06
I won the grand total of £2.25 today for having 2nd place whoopeee:D

Bryan
14-04-2007, 16:06
Anyone had a flutter this year?

My moneys on Hedgehunter, Clan Royal and Thisthatortother

Pinkbanana
14-04-2007, 16:33
I think personally that the Grand National should be banned on grounds of animal cruelty, there have been 25 horse fatalities at the course since 1991!!!

DaVeyWaVey
14-04-2007, 19:40
My family betted today, but we didn't win anything lol.

Katy
14-04-2007, 20:34
nope we didnt either, the guy sat next to me at the footie, his mrs put 10 on the winner. The drinks were on her tonight appernently.

Chloe O'brien
15-04-2007, 00:06
I had a bet today. I bet on Point Barrow,which fell at the first fence and McKelvey who was 2nd I got £4 for a £1 each way bet.

Jojo
15-04-2007, 00:51
Having been a horse owner and rider for many years, I can confirm that a horse will not do something it doesn't want to do - hence those that refused at the fences - they decided they didn't want to do it anymore and therefore stopped.

Anyway, I didn't have a bet, but the hubby did and his one (Celtic Son) pulled up after Bechers the second time around.

Katy
15-04-2007, 09:23
We had behther Na, an irish rider and its colours were red and green, the colours of county Mayo and L'ami, which i should have known wouldnt do anything as Tony McCoy was riding it, and he never wins the national.

Xx-Vicky-xX
15-04-2007, 09:37
Me and my family always have a bet with eachother £2 each and who ever is the winner or closest to winning gets the money - mine stopped running at the second fence :rolleyes: but then i didnt expect much i did only back him because i liked the colour of the jacket :rotfl:

Katy
15-04-2007, 09:39
thats how we always do it, never bother with the serious stuff like hot picks or anything. so we never win.

My friend won as she let her son pick the one he wanted and he looked at the colours of the jacket. I said he can pick my horse next year.

Xx-Vicky-xX
15-04-2007, 09:42
I have always done the jacket thing, mainly because i don't understand the odds

Bryan
15-04-2007, 13:56
My long runner at 100-1 was there until the last fence! I could have raked in a small fortune if it'd lasted that one more hurdle!

Mom was the only one in the whole family to win anything, Silver Birch she had.

Siobhan
16-04-2007, 11:31
I won the house pot... we put €1 per horse and I got Silver birch so I won 40 quid go me :cheer::cheer:

Bryan
04-04-2008, 13:16
Who's everyone's money on this year then?

I've got to decide, but I may go for Vodka Blue, just because I'm a Vodka guy! :cool: :D

Chloe O'brien
04-04-2008, 13:47
I've picked Cloudy Lane is the College Sweepstake. I may do Mr Pointment or Snowy Mornings as I was going to do Cloudy Lane. The Irish are always good runners.

CrazyLea
04-04-2008, 18:19
I'm going for either Chelsea Harbour or Vodka Bleu.

But looks like we may not be able to do it again this year :crying:. Dad's working. I'm working. Mother refuses to go in the bookies lol!

StarsOfCCTV
04-04-2008, 18:28
I'm betting for Comply or Die :lol: The name made me giggle. Looking at this website it's 10-1 http://www.grand-national-guide.co.uk/pick-a-horse.php I think that's good? I don't really get the whole odds thing :p
I might beg my dad to bet for two horses, I want to bet on a horse with big odds just in case it wins I can get loadsa money :lol:

Chris_2k11
04-04-2008, 20:25
we did a sweepstake thing at work picking a random one out of a hat, mines 'Dun doir' or something

Chloe O'brien
05-04-2008, 00:47
I'm going for either Chelsea Harbour or Vodka Bleu.

But looks like we may not be able to do it again this year :crying:. Dad's working. I'm working. Mother refuses to go in the bookies lol!

Lea go in the bookies yourself there are betting slips for a quick bet where you just put how much you want on the horse and the cashier works it out for you.

I normally do £1 each way that way you get money back if they finish in the first 4.

CrazyLea
05-04-2008, 02:34
I would but I'm working 10-5 lmao!

I think my dad will probs do it .. he said he's gonna try during work.. he's taken all of our moneys so he pronbs will I reckong.

We've all done 50p each way hahah. Small bet I know.. but it's only a bit of fun :D

Perdita
05-04-2008, 10:06
I know that a lot of people disagree with me but I can't stand the thought of the Grand National, the horses are being forced to run at a pace they would only do in the wild, if they were in danger of their lives, and then they don't have several stones in weight on top of them, whacking them with whips. :angry: I never watch it and don't bet on it either.

Jojo
05-04-2008, 10:49
I'll not argue with anyone on it, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but, having owned horses for many years - you cannot make a horse do what it doesn't want to do. I've done hunter trialing and when my horse has decided he's had enough - he turns round and he won't do nowt more than go home.

Racing is a lot better now than it used to be, the National fences have been changed an awful lot over the years and the number of runners in the National have been reduced (which was a lot of the losses were caused by). When you see a horse refuse, or run out at a fence - its had enough.

I'm not saying I'm right - I'm saying its my opinion x

DaVeyWaVey
05-04-2008, 13:55
My mum put bets on this morning - I don't really know how the whole thing works, but I went with Simon because I like the name and ppicked it at random anyway as well...:D

Abbie
05-04-2008, 17:36
I never watch it or get involved, I just dont understand that kinda stuff.
I think my parents do bets at their work with it

Katy
05-04-2008, 17:51
i went for Simon as well, i thought it was a good race this year, the photography is mucg better now as well. Well done to timmy Murphy.

StarsOfCCTV
05-04-2008, 19:25
Woo Comply or Die won! :cheer: Although I don't know how much I won because my mum forgot how much she bet :lol:

Abigail
05-04-2008, 22:30
Where did Cloudy Lane come? It was tipped to win this morning.

DaVeyWaVey
05-04-2008, 22:59
My mum ended up screaming at the telly because that King's one came 2nd and she ended up spilling her tea all over her lap! She won £10 altogether I think...

It was pretty fun watching it. I'm not sure where Cloudy Lane came.

StarsOfCCTV
05-04-2008, 23:02
Cloudy lane came 6th,

Chloe O'brien
05-04-2008, 23:44
I have allways had a bet on the National even as a child we got to pick a horse and its become tradition in our house over the years. Although I do agree it is cruel on the horses and I hate to see any of them fall but it's such a great race especialy when a no-hoper soars past the favourite.

Marley has a bet but she doesn't like to watch the race as she hates to see the horses hurt. I had 3rd and 4th place so I will probably get tuppence back from the bookies.

Xx-Vicky-xX
07-04-2008, 18:08
Me my parents and my brother had a little £1 bet between ourselves i went for Turko (anyone know how that did?) my brother ended up winning it he had comply or die

Siobhan
07-04-2008, 18:13
we did our house thing again.. thought I was on a winner as I got Cloudy lane but my sister won in the end.. this is a complete 1st for my sister.. her horse normally fall on first fence or get shot after

Abigail
07-04-2008, 20:11
McKelvey has died as a result of injuries recieved in this year's grand national. It's just been on the One Show but I can't find it on bbc news.

Chloe O'brien
07-04-2008, 23:35
McKelvey has died as a result of injuries recieved in this year's grand national. It's just been on the One Show but I can't find it on bbc news.

Poor beast. I didn't realise he got injured on Saturday.

Jojo
07-04-2008, 23:52
He was put down immediately after the race.

The jockey was unseated at the 20th fence, the horse carried on and fell by itself at the 21st fence, and was taken back to the stables in the trailer.

It was announced immediately after the race. An RSPCA vet was in attendance.

Chloe O'brien
08-04-2008, 12:32
I know he had an injury above his eye as one of the commentators metioned it before the race when the horse was getting groomed before. If he was injured then he should never have raced that is just plain cruel.

Perdita
08-04-2008, 12:55

The jockey was unseated at the 20th fence, the horse carried on and fell by itself at the 21st fence, and was taken back to the stables in the trailer.

That is exactly why I am against this race, it is the hardest of all races and leads to needless deaths of horses every year, all in the name of SPORT :angry:

Jojo
08-04-2008, 13:56

That is exactly why I am against this race, it is the hardest of all races and leads to needless deaths of horses every year, all in the name of SPORT :angry:

I'd be more looking at greyhound racing and the way they are treated to be honest - the greyhound reaches retirement so what do we do with it - some are rehomed now, but the majority - put down as they have served their purpose. Have you ridden a horse? Have you tried to make a horse do something it doesn't want to do? Have you seen the conditions horses are kept in? Are you vegetarian?

The horse carried on the race on its own.

The equivalent of 1 horse per Grand National per year has sadly died since 1997. Far too many still, yes - but far more die during the year during the normal racing calendar. These seem to be forgotten about by most people.

Chloe O'brien
02-04-2009, 12:30
It's Grand National Day Saturday 4 April. Anyone having a bet, we are having a sweep tomorrow.

Perdita
02-04-2009, 13:11
I won't because I do not agree with horse racing, especially the Grand National, I believe it is cruel to the horses. :( I appreciate that for a lot of people it is a yearly event where they enjoy a bit of a flutter.

Siobhan
02-04-2009, 13:13
My interest will be what happens in Malaysia F1 GP then what happens on the Aintree race track

alan45
02-04-2009, 14:20
My interest will be what happens in Malaysia F1 GP then what happens on the Aintree race track

I getting a bit peed off with F1. I see they have taken all Lewis Hamiltons points off him from Australia despite his wonderful drive from 18th to 4th.

My tip for the National is Hip Pocket.

moonstorm
02-04-2009, 16:54
For those of you interested, my husband works in a betting firm and has been given Brooklyn Brownie as a tip.

Chloe O'brien
02-04-2009, 23:30
For those of you interested, my husband works in a betting firm and has been given Brooklyn Brownie as a tip.

Yeah I was thinking of backing that and maybe state of play.

alan45
03-04-2009, 00:16
The BEST bet is Hip Pocket

StarsOfCCTV
04-04-2009, 17:35
100-1 shot won! :eek:

Did anyone bet on him?

I don't think any of ours got a look in. :lol: ETA: Mine came 6th and 8th.

Abbie
04-04-2009, 18:10
No! But I wish I had now :p

Kirsty :]
04-04-2009, 23:07
100-1 shot won! :eek:

Did anyone bet on him?

I don't think any of ours got a look in. :lol: ETA: Mine came 6th and 8th.

Aww did you bet on Big Fella Thanks? That was my Mums horse.
My Granch's horse came second. A family friend bet £2 on the winner!! so she must be very happy indeed lol

I actually watched and understood to a degree about the odds and what was going on, but I have to say.. I really didn't like it. I know it's gone on for years and years but I just feel for those poor horses, even if they are trained for it, you could see how shattered they were getting as the race progressed :(

Chloe O'brien
04-04-2009, 23:47
Guess what the horse I picked in the sweepstake at work fell at the first fence, what a surprise, but I had 4th place State of Play so I'll get a couple of quid back.

Bryan
05-04-2009, 09:48
Guess what the horse I picked in the sweepstake at work fell at the first fence, what a surprise, but I had 4th place State of Play so I'll get a couple of quid back.

i had state of play too, so hopefully i get a bit of shrapnel back.

the jockey who won was an absolute *******, he was clealry going to win, not another horse in sight, yet he kept pelting the horse with a whip. vile human being, how would he like it if someone whipped him that badly!!!!???

Tigerpip
05-04-2009, 10:09
{quote}THE death of 2008 Irish Grand National winner Hear The Echo was the one sad note in an other wise memorable Grand National.{unquote}

Also, Exotic Dancer had to be put down after another race at Aintree, yesterday.

Yet another horse dies after running this barbaric race!
As a horse owner, I watch this race with my heart in my mouth and hope that there are no major injuries or deaths, but there are invariably casualties every year..
*T*:mad:

DaVeyWaVey
05-04-2009, 14:52
The horse I betted on came 17th! Ah well, at least he finished.

CrazyLea
05-04-2009, 22:55
Mine came 2nd :( I only put £1 to win :( So didn't get anything.

Siobhan
06-04-2009, 09:59

so much for your tip.. it fell at the 2nd :rotfl:

moonstorm
06-04-2009, 11:18
:rotfl: :rotfl: I know, so much for the big tip, I lost my pound!! Also was very frosty with hubby all day as I had already (in my mind) spent my winnings!!

Chloe O'brien
06-04-2009, 12:57
:rotfl: :rotfl: I know, so much for the big tip, I lost my pound!! Also was very frosty with hubby all day as I had already (in my mind) spent my winnings!!

I want my £2 quid back you lied to me woman. The horse I had in the work sweep fell at the first fence then that donkey fell at the second. Hit hubby with a frying pan for me :lol:

moonstorm
06-04-2009, 16:03

I want my £2 quid back you lied to me woman. The horse I had in the work sweep fell at the first fence then that donkey fell at the second. Hit hubby with a frying pan for me :lol:

Consider him well and truly hit Chloe!!!

Chloe O'brien
07-04-2009, 00:03
On this occasion I can forgive you and mince for brains hubby, only because I am in a good mood and you have Mr Sky1 to thank as he rewarded me with naked Jack Bauer. Next year tell him to keep his dead serts to himself. :D

moonstorm
07-04-2009, 09:21
On this occasion I can forgive you and mince for brains hubby, only because I am in a good mood and you have Mr Sky1 to thank as he rewarded me with naked Jack Bauer. Next year tell him to keep his dead serts to himself. :D

Chloe your forgiveness is much appreciated and thank you for yur help Mr Jack Bauer! Hubby will be bound and gagged next year.

annette_tr9
07-04-2009, 13:52
{quote}THE death of 2008 Irish Grand National winner Hear The Echo was the one sad note in an other wise memorable Grand National.{unquote}

Also, Exotic Dancer had to be put down after another race at Aintree, yesterday.

As a horse owner, I watch this race with my heart in my mouth and hope that there are no major injuries or deaths, but there are invariably casualties every year..

we did a sweepstake at work and i had hear the echo. is the story online anywhere about what happened?? i cant find it

Tigerpip
08-04-2009, 01:03

we did a sweepstake at work and i had hear the echo. is the story online anywhere about what happened?? i cant find it

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/aintree-grand-national-hear-the-echo-dies-on-grand-national-run-in/176391/latest/
It does not go into great detail, but it was the report which was the least confrontational.
*T* http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/sigh.gif (http://www.millan.net)

Perdita
09-04-2009, 07:31
When Danny Shea spotted Mon Mome in the field during last year's Grand National, he had a hunch it might go the distance and clinch the title this year.
Suffering from terminal cancer and with only months to live, he knew he would not be around to see the race himself but insisted his family put a bet on the 100-1 runner.

The outsider duly romped home on Saturday, pulling off the biggest upset at Aintree for 42 years and winning Mr Shea's family more than £20,000 in the process.

Unlike the rest of the racing world, Mr Shea, 66, an offshore rigger who died of kidney cancer five months ago, had been convinced Mon Mome was poised for greatness.
He watched last year's National and picked out the horse before getting the money together for his family to bet that May.
They kept the cash almost a year before fulfilling his dying wish be placing the bet last Friday, 24 hours before this year's event which Mon Mome won in style.

Mr Shea's widow Pat said: 'He was generally pretty useless at picking winners. He did not have much of a clue but he liked to put a bet on.

'He watched Mon Mome race in the Grand National last year and straightaway he was adamant it would be a winner if there was soft ground. Well, he got soft ground and Danny was right.'
Mrs Shea, 63, from Eston near Middlesbrough, her two children, two sisters, brother-in-law and five friends all took part in the complicated combination of spread bets.
Her husband had organised it so that his wife was allocated £60 and everyone else £20, meaning she scooped the largest share of the £20,310 winnings.

Mrs Shea said she saw it as something to keep her husband going as he battled cancer and never thought it would work.
After the windfall, she visited his grave to say thank you.

'It was all pretty amazing. People are saying "how did he know" but he was completely convinced,' she said.

'I was glad when the notes were out of the house and the bets were made. I have to say I thought "what a waste of money" but it's what Danny wanted.
'In the end, it's not the money. We never expected to win and I do not know what I will do with it, except give some to the grandkids, and nephews and nieces.
'It was the thought of the bet which kept Danny going through his cancer.'

Fantastic news :cheer:

Chloe O'brien
10-04-2010, 02:06
Well it's that time of year again. Who is all having a bet this year. I'm betting on "Don't push it" & "Big fella thanks" Little tip for all. Don't back any Moonstorms predictions :lol:

StarsOfCCTV
10-04-2010, 12:28
I'm betting on Dream alliance and Niche Market...liked the story of the first one and the name of the second one. :)

Edit: I bet on Ballyfitz too as my mum and I shared a bet on Dream alliance..

alan45
10-04-2010, 15:22
Stick a tenner on Creosote

Its good over fences

Katy
10-04-2010, 17:55
Get in there tony mccoy!! 30 quid! I never win.

So glad he won he has ridden in it soo many times.

StarsOfCCTV
10-04-2010, 18:32
Well done! :D

None of our horses won - my sister's didn't even get off the start. :lol: - King John's Castle.

tammyy2j
10-04-2010, 20:49
I went for the horses that McCoy and Walsh were riding 10 euros each way bet not bad for me

Chloe O'brien
11-04-2010, 00:25
Yipee I [icked the winner and 4th place. Had a £1 each way on them no idea how much i've won. B0th were 10-1

CrazyLea
11-04-2010, 22:15
I picked Don't Push it too ! :D Won 29.50. Not too shabby :D

Chloe O'brien
12-04-2010, 01:22
I got £18 quid altogether,then gave Marley a tenner.

moonstorm
12-04-2010, 09:40
Shiv will notice that I never gave any tips this year, after last year's dedacle!! I did manage to get 4th place this year, without listening to my husband, oh he never won anything :lol:

Siobhan
12-04-2010, 10:32
Shiv will notice that I never gave any tips this year, after last year's dedacle!! I did manage to get 4th place this year, without listening to my husband, oh he never won anything :lol:

I didn't back any at all but had Mon mome in the house pot...

Chloe O'brien
08-04-2011, 11:45
It's that time of year again. Have we all got out bet's organised. I'm backing Silver by Nature and BecauseIcouldn'tsee. Moonie what donkey predictions has hubby got this year. :D

Siobhan
08-04-2011, 11:55
OH.. I forgot this was on.. My horses generally get shot so don't back what I pick :lol:

moonstorm
08-04-2011, 12:57
Oh dear Chloe, I'm very sorry but he has told me to back Silver by Nature!! If it make you feel any better I am actually going to put money on it, so we can loose together! :cheer:

Chloe O'brien
08-04-2011, 13:35
Oh dear Chloe, I'm very sorry but he has told me to back Silver by Nature!! If it make you feel any better I am actually going to put money on it, so we can loose together! :cheer:

Going by form We're needing it to rain a bit so the ground is a bit softer for Silver by Nature. If it stays dry. The three legged-donkey will be still running this time next year :lol:

Tuareet
08-04-2011, 13:42
I have Santa's Son in our sweepstake in work. Wouldn't advise anyone to back it as my horses usually do really badly!! :0

moonstorm
08-04-2011, 14:11
Damn Chloe, it is going to be a lovely dry day in the UK tomorrow, so no chance for us!

tammyy2j
08-04-2011, 15:29
Big Fella Thanks and Arbor Supreme e/w bets for me

Chloe O'brien
08-04-2011, 15:58
Damn Chloe, it is going to be a lovely dry day in the UK tomorrow, so no chance for us!

I've found another 3-legged donkey Moon. I've picked Surface to Air odds are at 66-1 at the moment

moonstorm
08-04-2011, 16:03
Ok, Chloe, will give it a go, you never know, with odds at 66-1 it is worth a wee pound.

Siobhan
08-04-2011, 16:06
I have Santa's Son in our sweepstake in work. Wouldn't advise anyone to back it as my horses usually do really badly!! :0

Santa's son hasn't run any long that 2 - 2 and half miles..poor bugger will be knackered hahahaha

I would do a nice each way on hello Bud and state of play... to give you all a chance I won't any money on them.. (my horse usually do well if I don't back them)

Chloe O'brien
08-04-2011, 16:12
I've found another 3-legged donkey Moon. I've picked Surface to Air odds are at 66-1 at the moment

This is my choice in the work's sweep. and I'll do a seeky £1 each way bet on Silver by Nature and becauseIcouldn'tsee

moonstorm
09-04-2011, 18:20
Oh well Chloe, there's always next year!!

alan45
09-04-2011, 19:06
Ha ha I got the first and second. Makes a change

Katy
09-04-2011, 23:23
i had three of the top four! result! 40 quid of a fiver!

Chloe O'brien
10-04-2011, 00:08
Oh well Chloe, there's always next year!!

One horse fell at the second fence. Why because he couldn't see it :lol: One finished 8 and one finished 12. But every cloud I won a tenner on tonights lottery.

Moonie I think we should sack your hubby and see tips from SB very own Flash Harry.

alan45
10-04-2011, 00:33

Well done

moonstorm
10-04-2011, 10:02
Well done all that won. Forgot to say Chloe, to make things worse - hubby had added the winner to his betting slip on a whim!!

Siobhan
10-04-2011, 13:40
One horse fell at the second fence. Why because he couldn't see it :lol: One finished 8 and one finished 12. But every cloud I won a tenner on tonights lottery.

Moonie I think we should sack your hubby and see tips from SB very own Flash Harry.

Do you know which one Kath?? I have Santa's son in the house draw

Chloe O'brien
10-04-2011, 18:33
Well done all that won. Forgot to say Chloe, to make things worse - hubby had added the winner to his betting slip on a whim!!

He's a swine Moonie. He's kept that a secret on puropse. He's sacked Katy is now the new horse tipper for SB

Do you know which one Kath?? I have Santa's son in the house draw

BecauseIcouldn'tsee was the horse that fell at the second fence Shiv. I was trying to be funny with saying he fell because he couldn't see it.

This is were the horses finished:

Full finishing order of the 2011 Grand National:
First place:
Ballabriggs (14-1)
Jockey Jason Maguire: "He loved it and was jumping from fence to fence. I got him to the front to get him relaxed and put breathers into him and that helped him get the trip."
Second place:
Oscar Time (14-1) 2¼ lengths behind
Jockey Sam Waley-Cohen: "The plan was always to come with one smooth run. We knew he had a huge jump in him so I was just trying to get him to pop a little bit and save and not get too keen. He did everything I asked of him."
Third place:
Don't Push It (9-1) 12 lengths
Jockey Tony McCoy: "He ran a great race and all credit to the horse. He was off the bridle a little bit early and he got a little bit low at a couple of fences late on which was energy-sapping."
Fourth place:
State Of Play (28-1) 2 lengths
Jockey Paul Moloney: "He's an incredible horse - he's just a little bit slower this year because time is catching up with him. He couldn't lay up with the pace and the ground was probably a little slower than ideal, but he's a fabulous horse."
Fifth: Niche Market, 7 lengths
Sixth: The Midnight Club, 4 lengths
Seventh: Big Fella Thanks, 13 lengths
Eighth: Surface To Air, head
Ninth: Skippers Brig, 19 lengths
10th: Backstage, 8 lengths
11th: King Fontaine, ½ length
12th: Silver By Nature, 25 lengths
13th: In Compliance, 5 lengths
14th: Bluesea Cracker, 8 lengths
15th: Character Building, 16 lengths
16th: Golden Kite, 12 lengths
17th: Chief Dan George, 30 lengths
18th: Royal Rosa, 20 lengths
19th: Piraya, 46 lengths
NON-FINISHERS
Fence 1 That's Rhythm (fell)
Fence 2 Becauseicouldntsee (fell), Vic Venturi (brought down)
Fence 4 Calgary Bay (fell), Ornais (fell)
Fence 6 Or Noir De Somoza (fell), Dooneys Gate (fell), The Tother One (fell), West End Rocker (brought down)
Fence 10 Tidal Bay (unseated rider)
Fence 11 Quolibet (unseated rider)
Fence 13 Grand Slam Hero (fell)
Fence 16 Quinz (pulled up)
Fence 18 Can't Buy Time (fell)
Fence 24 Majestic Concorde (unseated rider)
Fence 27 What A Friend (pulled up), Santa's Son (pulled up), Killyglen (fell)
Fence 28 Comply Or Die (pulled up), Arbor Supreme (fell)
Fence 29 Hell Bud (pulled up)

Perdita
10-04-2011, 19:32
1 jockey over-whipped, 2 horses died :angry:

Perdita
13-03-2012, 19:04
The BBC is reportedly ready to admit defeat in its battle to keep major horse racing events, such as the Grand National, the Derby and Ascot, out of the clutches of Channel 4.

Channel 4 is thought to have lodged a higher bid for the premium events and the current climate of austerity at the BBC, including a 15% cut to sports rights bidding, means that senior executive at the corporation will not increase their own offer.

Due to expire at the end of this year, the BBC's contract for the horse racing events is thought to involve it paying £7.5m over three years to show 13 days of action per year.

The Guardian reports that the BBC has offered to increase the terms, but it is facing tough competition from Channel 4, which already shows various horse racing events, including the Cheltenham Festival which is currently on air.

A Channel 4 spokeswoman told the paper that negotiations over the rights were continuing, and nothing had been confirmed.

"We remain committed to horse racing and we have made various competitive offers," she said. "There is nothing more to be said at this time."

The BBC's sports rights budget is already looking stretched, after recent new deals for Six Nations and Wimbledon. The corporation is also expected to renew its deal for Premier League highlights this spring when they come up for tender.

BBC insiders are quoted as saying that "something had to give" in the budget cuts, while Channel 4 is positioning itself as the home of horse racing on free-to-air, already showing 80 days of coverage a year.

Should The Guardian's report prove correct, the final race shown on the BBC would be the Champion Stakes at Ascot on October 20, before coverage shifts to Channel 4.

Channel 4 is the lead broadcaster for the London Paralympic Games this summer, but its sports coverage beyond that is rather limited, prompting a failed attempt to secure Formula One last year. Snapping up the 'crown jewel' events of British horse racing would therefore be viewed as a valuable acquisition.

lizann
14-03-2012, 12:29
Any tips for this year folks?

alan45
14-03-2012, 12:36
Any tips for this year folks?I have one for Cheltenham today at 5-15

moonstorm
14-03-2012, 19:00
For gods sake, don't anyone listen to me!!

Chloe O'brien
16-03-2012, 18:46
For gods sake, don't anyone listen to me!!

Moonie it's not you it that Flash Harry husband of yours :lol: I haven't seen a list of horses running yet. Katy the one to ask.

Chloe O'brien
13-04-2012, 22:49
Okay folks it's that time of year again. Katy, what's your tip for tommorow? Moonie what three-legged donkey does Mr Moonie suggest? I'm putting a cheeky wee each way bet on Seabass and Treacle.

Siobhan
14-04-2012, 12:39
I am waiting on my mum to pick my horses out of the hat... will miss it again this year

moonstorm
14-04-2012, 16:23
Ok you lot, on your own heads be it but hubby is backing Shakalakaboomboom, Giles Cross, According to Pete and Calgary Bay. He says they all have good endurance. Good luck all.

tammyy2j
14-04-2012, 17:23
Chicago Grey and Seabass each way bet for me

Katy
14-04-2012, 19:32
didnt do too well this year! Won a little bit back on Seabass, got that on at 22/1 a few days back! Thought Katie Walsh did fantastically!

The other 4 all fell.

Chloe O'brien
14-04-2012, 22:00
didnt do too well this year! Won a little bit back on Seabass, got that on at 22/1 a few days back! Thought Katie Walsh did fantastically!

The other 4 all fell.
Katy how many horses did you back this year. :lol: got 3rd with Seabass & in true fashion Treacle fell.

Chloe O'brien
14-04-2012, 22:01
Ok you lot, on your own heads be it but hubby is backing Shakalakaboomboom, Giles Cross, According to Pete and Calgary Bay. He says they all have good endurance. Good luck all.

Yahoo I didn't pick the same donkeys as Mr Moonie. :lol:

Katy
14-04-2012, 22:14
Just 5!!! Could have beeb more. i get a bit addicted. my betting accounts have had a bit of a hammering today.

Chloe O'brien
14-04-2012, 22:23
just 5 I love it. And you have a betting account. Oh Katy you've made my day. I was feeling guilty about backing 2 horses it would have been 3 as they usually do a sweepstake in the work, but I have been on holiday this week. I text my friend on Thursday to see if they were doing a sweep but there was not enough support staff in to run one so it was abandoned to lack of interest.

Katy
14-04-2012, 22:25
I do. i have 3 betting accounts. always worth shopping around for the best odds!!

Chloe O'brien
14-04-2012, 22:29
I do. i have 3 betting accounts. always worth shopping around for the best odds!!

So do you not go into the bookies with your paper and little bookie pen following the odds. :D

tammyy2j
30-03-2013, 21:57
The Irish one is one Easter Monday have taken Marasonnien for it so fingers crossed

Katy
06-04-2013, 12:12
Have gone for whatafriend as a bit of a long shot for today, the balances in my betting funds are a little low!! Have gone for Chicago grey ew as well.

tammyy2j
06-04-2013, 14:44
I went for Ballybriggs and Sunnyhillboy, Seabass is the favourite I think

Katy
06-04-2013, 16:23
My dad has sunnyhillboy and treacle as his.

seabass was the favourite when i checked this morning. Katie walsh has had a good season from what ive seen.

Katy
06-04-2013, 16:23
My dad has sunnyhillboy and treacle as his.

seabass was the favourite when i checked this morning. Katie walsh has had a good season from what ive seen.

lizann
07-04-2013, 20:06
had cappa bleu on an e/w bet so made a few quid

Katy
08-04-2013, 09:55
I lost all money!! Not one penny made but oh well. ye win some n ye lose some!!

tammyy2j
04-04-2014, 15:05
Have 5 each way on Hawkes Point and Mountainous

lizann
14-04-2018, 02:19
come on chase the spud and gas line boy