PDA

View Full Version : The Street

Siobhan
05-04-2006, 15:37
I seen adverts for this on BBC and was wondering if anyone is going to watch it. It looks really good and has some top actors in it, Jim Broadbent, Jane Horrocks and Tim Spawls (sp?). It looks like it could be worth watching.

hazey
05-04-2006, 22:19
I seen adverts for this on BBC and was wondering if anyone is going to watch it. It looks really good and has some top actors in it, Jim Broadbent, Jane Horrocks and Tim Spawls (sp?). It looks like it could be worth watching. I think I will give it a go,I like Jane Horrocks she was brilliant in little voice, I will watch a couple and see what happens. I tuned into waterloo Road,a bit half hearted and really like it. so we will have to wait and she

Bryan
05-04-2006, 22:42
As Waterloo road did, the stella cast draws me in immediatley, it can only be good...especillay with Carol from Eastenders in one of the episodes! :cheer:

Jojo
07-04-2006, 10:54
I've just seen the episode guides for all of the series and it looks great! I'm definitely going to be tuning in....fantastic casting, great storylines by the look - looking forward to this..

di marco
07-04-2006, 20:17
not sure whether im going to watch it yet, it does look good though

alkalinetrio
08-04-2006, 05:15
i will be watching this im looking forward to it!

Siobhan
14-04-2006, 09:01
Did anyone watch this last night? Some fantastic acting all round and it looks very very good.. will be watching again next week

Jojo
14-04-2006, 10:15
I watched this - how brilliant!!!

Jumped out of my skin when he knocked Katie over, but wow - the way they showed the familys each going through their own nightmares about the situation. Though I personally wouldn't have got in the car with him still. Loved the way Angela made sure he paid in one way or another at the end, especially as he admitted to her that he wasn't looking. Brilliant stuff - can't wait for next week..

Siobhan
14-04-2006, 10:18
I watched this - how brilliant!!!

Jumped out of my skin when he knocked Katie over, but wow - the way they showed the familys each going through their own nightmares about the situation. Though I personally wouldn't have got in the car with him still. Loved the way Angela made sure he paid in one way or another at the end, especially as he admitted to her that he wasn't looking. Brilliant stuff - can't wait for next week..

yeah I jumped when Katie got hit and I was shocked that Angela did tell her husband in the end... Next week is it focused on the old guy and Sue Johnstons is in it.. what an excellent cast, Jim Broadbent and sue!!!

Jojo
14-04-2006, 10:21
Fantastic actors, Jim Broadbent and Sue Johnstone - its going to be brilliant. I love Jimmy McGoverns stuff.

I felt sorry for "Stan" though when they were asking him to read the newspaper headlines - ermm, sorry but a little girl and a car is far larger in size to a small newspaper headline.

Great to see Angela and hubby stay together in the end though - but as it showed, its always the children that get hurt in the end. That fight in the toilets at school though - it was ok till he hit his head against the wall!! Ouch!

Siobhan
14-04-2006, 10:29
Fantastic actors, Jim Broadbent and Sue Johnstone - its going to be brilliant. I love Jimmy McGoverns stuff.

I felt sorry for "Stan" though when they were asking him to read the newspaper headlines - ermm, sorry but a little girl and a car is far larger in size to a small newspaper headline.

Great to see Angela and hubby stay together in the end though - but as it showed, its always the children that get hurt in the end. That fight in the toilets at school though - it was ok till he hit his head against the wall!! Ouch!

Yeah I thought that was totally unfair.. Newspaper headlines not the same size as child and car!!!.. The fight in the toilet.. I could feel the whack he got.. sound affect department did a really good job

Poor Angela, she had to cope with so much, housework, child in hospital and a lazy ass husband.. My heart went out to her when she blamed herself for what happened, saying she was punished for her affair. How blind were the partners not to know something was going on??

Can't wait til next week :cheer::cheer:

Jojo
14-04-2006, 10:34
But I also felt for him when he finally tried to help, put the washing on, but left the red top in there - straw that broke the camels back!

I felt for her too, feeling she was being punished for it, but that was funny though - talking on the phone at the same time :rotfl: I'm surprised no one had realised - you would have thought someone would have noticed what they were up to.

Roll on the rest of the series!! :cheer: :cheer:

Siobhan
14-04-2006, 10:39
But I also felt for him when he finally tried to help, put the washing on, but left the red top in there - straw that broke the camels back!

I could see that coming.. I said it to my other half.. look he has put a red top in with the white wash... only cause my other half did the same last week with jeans and whites.. :rotfl:

I felt for her too, feeling she was being punished for it, but that was funny though - talking on the phone at the same time :rotfl: I'm surprised no one had realised - you would have thought someone would have noticed what they were up to.

Roll on the rest of the series!! :cheer: :cheer:

I thought that was really funny, tell her husband that they were going out with the other couple while she was been shagged

Jojo
14-04-2006, 14:29
The first thing hubby and I said was - hes gonna blow!! lol

Siobhan
14-04-2006, 14:32
The first thing hubby and I said was - hes gonna blow!! lol

It was really well done! He lost the head at the cars, headed to the guys house and punched him senseless!!!

Jojo
14-04-2006, 14:39
It was really well done! He lost the head at the cars, headed to the guys house and punched him senseless!!!He felt totally useless didnt he - I did feel for him even though he was a lazy beep :D

Siobhan
14-04-2006, 14:50
He felt totally useless didnt he - I did feel for him even though he was a lazy beep :D
He was real. everyone knows someone like that, wife does everything and the husband doesn't pay her much attention

Jojo
14-04-2006, 14:54
My hubby would probably say I am a female version of him :rotfl:

crazygirl
14-04-2006, 21:07
i went to the puib last night and forgot to tape it i am so gutted

Bryan
17-04-2006, 19:23
I watched this today, as i saw footie wives on thursday night, when it first aired!

This drama is supberb! Real life storylines, real life characters... its realistic and genuinly well written drama! I loved the first installment and cant wait to watch the rest.. love how they showed glimpses of the over storylines... we can tell whats coming soon... :cheer:

roll on this weeks, even tough i wont be here to watch it! :D

alan45
17-04-2006, 20:29
Is this the soap that was meant to replace EE

Bryan
17-04-2006, 20:39
Is this the soap that was meant to replace EE

its a six part drama as far as im aware, but with eastenders current standards i would not object to seeing the street replace it! superb drama! :cheer:

Siobhan
21-04-2006, 09:45
What can I say? Fab acting, excellent storyline. It is a brilliant piece of Drama. Last night it got all the emotion going, sadness, laughter and it even made me mad at time. Jim Broadbent and Sue johnston make a fantastic couple and worked so well together... Well done BBC and i will be watching again next week :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Jojo
21-04-2006, 15:51
:eek: Oh No!!!! I missed it!!!! *says a few expletives*

Siobhan
21-04-2006, 15:55
:eek: Oh No!!!! I missed it!!!! *says a few expletives*

I was going to remind everyone yesterday that it was on.. You would have really enjoyed it.. Stan the old guy was considering suidside (sp) after losing his job. It was sad and funny at the same time. You felt for the poor guy and he was locked in a mental hospital, but the little girl that got knock down last week came over to his house with a picture she drew. He really felt it was his fault they lost the courtcase and he was happy to know Katie didn't hate him..

Jojo
21-04-2006, 16:02
I was going to remind everyone yesterday that it was on.. You would have really enjoyed it.. Stan the old guy was considering suidside (sp) after losing his job. It was sad and funny at the same time. You felt for the poor guy and he was locked in a mental hospital, but the little girl that got knock down last week came over to his house with a picture she drew. He really felt it was his fault they lost the courtcase and he was happy to know Katie didn't hate him..I was just trying to remember what I was doing to forget it was on and then remembered - emptying our garage trying to find a mouse that has taken residence......:( :( *puts reminder on sky + for next week*

dddMac1
21-04-2006, 16:12
it looks good but i have not had a chance to watch it yet

Layne
21-04-2006, 17:27
I watched the first half an hour last night, and it was very very very good, a mixture of everything!

Siobhan
21-04-2006, 17:34
I watched the first half an hour last night, and it was very very very good, a mixture of everything!

I loved the suicide attempts.. they made their point but were also funny. you could see it happen in real life but you still felt for Stan

alkalinetrio
27-04-2006, 21:52
first time i watched it tonights one about teaching getting accused of being a perv im really enjoying it how many have been shown?

Siobhan
28-04-2006, 10:01
first time i watched it tonights one about teaching getting accused of being a perv im really enjoying it how many have been shown?

2 have already been shown..

What a program 3 for 3 now.. it stirred my emotion completely last night, I cried. I was totally believable and again well done BBC.. keep up the good work :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Siobhan
04-05-2006, 17:57
Reminder to everyone, dont' forget to watch tonight BBC 9pm.. that means you Em!!!

Siobhan
05-05-2006, 10:56
Again, what can I say? another outstanding part to this drama. Excellent acting, superb storylines and genius plots... If you haven't see it yet, you can catch up on the BBC website but the good thing about this drama is that you didn't have to see any of the previous parts. It is just about individuals on a street.

4/4 now from this programe :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

chance
05-05-2006, 21:26
Idunno if im being dim or what so someone please help me as its been bugging me since last night,did Billy die at the end and he was dreaming/or in heaven OR was that bit at the end real with him playing fball again?

Siobhan
08-05-2006, 09:57
Idunno if im being dim or what so someone please help me as its been bugging me since last night,did Billy die at the end and he was dreaming/or in heaven OR was that bit at the end real with him playing fball again?

No Billy didn't die.. his dad put in a word for him and got him back on the team... everything worked out well

Siobhan
12-05-2006, 12:05
Again what can I say: another fantastic piece of acting this. Good storyline, good casting and very very well done :clap::clap::clap:

For those of you who did see it, the woman playing eddie's wife is an irish actress called Ger Ryan. She is really really good and about the only "famous" (i use it loosely) person I ever met..
*she is a nice person in really life*

chance
12-05-2006, 13:39
Are we all meant to believe that all asylum seekers are escaping persecuting in there own country,apart from that angle it wasnt too bad.Tim spall is a excellent actor!

Siobhan
12-05-2006, 13:41
Are we all meant to believe that all asylum seekers are escaping persecutin in there own country,apart from that angle it wasnt too bad.Tim spall is a excellent actor!

there is a lot who are escaping persectution... you would be surprised how many don't want to go back as they will be killed

Katy
12-05-2006, 16:14
i loved it last night, what a series its been. Jimmy McGovern is such a good writer.

I loved the scenes when they were in the pub and he was going that laughing dance. I was laughing so much.

Siobhan
12-05-2006, 16:16
i loved it last night, what a series its been. Jimmy McGovern is such a good writer.

I loved the scenes when they were in the pub and he was going that laughing dance. I was laughing so much.

that is the thing I love with this drama, you are laughing your ass off one minute and crying the next.. it was sad when Eddie let the police take Ojo away.. :crying:

Katy
12-05-2006, 16:20
i know that was so sad, my mum was shouting at the telly make him stop when that sean guy was beating him up. Ojo was a good actress. The daughter also looked familier. I think she was the daughter in northen lights im not sure though.

I spent alot of the show guessing the location.

Siobhan
12-05-2006, 16:22
i know that was so sad, my mum was shouting at the telly make him stop when that sean guy was beating him up. Ojo was a good actress. The daughter also looked familier. I think she was the daughter in northen lights im not sure though.

I think it is in Salford (sp) i reckonise some places from a Smiths Video!!
I have seen the daughter before but there is loads of great actors in that series.. Sue johnston and that woman who played Sonia's mum in EE

Katy
12-05-2006, 16:25
yes and the guy from shameless, ian was in it.

Alot of the filming was done near to moss side i think. And there was one episode i really enjoyed when they were at Carrington the manchester City training ground.

I though Ger Ryan was really good last night, i never seen her in anything before.

Siobhan
12-05-2006, 16:30
yes and the guy from shameless, ian was in it.

Alot of the filming was done near to moss side i think. And there was one episode i really enjoyed when they were at Carrington the manchester City training ground.

I though Ger Ryan was really good last night, i never seen her in anything before.

Ger Ryan would only be known vaguely in Ireland but she is great.. I have seen her in "The Commitments", "the family" (6 week irish drama follow a woman who is abused by her husband" and a play I had to do for my leaving Certificate (like A-levels), that is how I met her, after the play.. she is a really nice person

chance
12-05-2006, 16:32

Yeah i recgonised her too and said to other half that its the daughter from northern lights..so must be if we both thought it.

Katy
12-05-2006, 16:36
I asked my mum but she werent much help. The daughter was just like her northern lights aharacter.

The same people tend to do the same roles in different dramas.

there a girl i know who has done a few tv roles and her part is always the upper class stroppy teenager.

Crazy Gal 88
14-05-2006, 18:11
i do not know what exactly its is but im not too keen on this drama - i think the stories are probably told to quickly and think it rather strange they have a new story every week instead of carrying them on! anyone else fel the same?

Katy
14-05-2006, 18:16
i like having one story each week, i find its easier to follow and you see the characters appear in different episodes even though they are not the focus. I also think the storys were really quite believable and they managed to make good drama a little humourous to. Thats only my personal opinion though.

Siobhan
19-05-2006, 14:32
For those of you who watch BB instead of The Street, you missed a cracking piece of drama... Very very well done with some twist and turns... Brilliant!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Katy
19-05-2006, 14:40
i missed it i was so annoyed, we had a power cut from about 2 30 till the morning, i was not pleasent company. Was it around yvonne and sean. My friend said it was really good.

Siobhan
19-05-2006, 15:02
i missed it i was so annoyed, we had a power cut from about 2 30 till the morning, i was not pleasent company. Was it around yvonne and sean. My friend said it was really good.

Yeah, It was just after Sean beat up the refugee adn he severly beat and raped yvonne.. when she went to make a complaint the police kind treated it as a joke so her sister and boyfriend changed the locks and Yvonne told Sean she could only see the kids twice a week.. Sean and her mother got into a row and the mother said that he would be in the ground before her...

One night Sean complete drunk, came round to the house calling yvonne sisters boyfriend a pervert and the mother was on her way over.. Sean went to attack the mother when they all come out.. he hit yvonne and beat her sisters boyfriend to a pulp.. the ambulance came but it was for the mother, she had a heart attack and died.. Yvonne met Sean in the street 2 days later and said what the mother had said.. he would be in the ground before her mum.. Yvonne and her sister battered him to death and as her mothers coffin is been lowered into the ground, you can see Sean shoe poking out.. she was right, he was in the ground before her mum!!!

(click to view and click again to hide)

Excellent stuff and sorry if I ruined it for anyone who taped it

Siobhan
08-11-2007, 11:13
Ok guys.. for those of you who watched this last year, it is starting again tonight... for those of you who missed it, it is fantastic and you don't have to see the 1st one to enjoy it.. different house this time on the street

9pm BBC 1 TONIGHT.. don't miss it!!!!

Siobhan
09-11-2007, 09:26
What an amazing piece of Drama.. I can see another bafta for Jim McGovern.. fantastic written and amazingly acted.. brilliant work all round :clap::clap::clap::clap:

1st one of the series and it contain the same high standards as the last series.. he never fails

Katy
09-11-2007, 12:21
I have the first series on DVD and its enjoyabele everytime i see it. IT was a great opening epsode last night really kept me guessing. McGovern is a genious.

Chloe O'brien
09-11-2007, 23:20
Don't tell me what happened we're not getting the series yet as we had football on instead on Thursday.

Katy
16-11-2007, 15:22
Last nights episode was brilliant, it was Ger Ryan and Timothy Spall again as the McEvoys. It was good having the same family. It was a truely great episode and i loved the scene in the pub at the end where the two of them were having a meal.

Siobhan
16-11-2007, 16:32
It was a fantastic episode. That is what I love about this drama is that it is so real, it could happen to anyone. Timothy Spall and Ger Ryan were fantastic together.. Loved the end of it at the resturant and then falling over steve davis at the end :lol:

Siobhan
23-11-2007, 12:35
Again, this program did not fail to deliver.. fantastic episode!!! so many issue visited and heartbreak of a married man who is gay. Brillant acting all round and amazing scripts. loved it all :clap::clap::clap::clap:

DaVeyWaVey
23-11-2007, 15:32
I watched it for the first time last night as the particular issue interested me, and it was played out extremely well and the story was told beautifully - going to watch the rest of the series now. :D

Katy
23-11-2007, 16:21
I'd buy the first series on DVD dave, Its briliant drama if you had never seen it before. Its a great series. THe new characters are really good as well. I like them.

Siobhan
30-11-2007, 12:49
Yet again another amazing episode this week. It was heart wrenching and excellent acting..It never ever fails to deliver.

Siobhan
14-12-2007, 17:15
I am always saying how amazing this series is but last night was the most amazing episode of the street ever.. including series 1. I was crying for the last 30 mins of it.. it was powerful and I was stunned into silent when it was over... Jim McGovern is a fantastic writer :bow::bow::bow:

tammyy2j
09-07-2009, 00:09
The Street, Jimmy McGovern's powerful, multi-award-winning drama, returns to BBC One for an eagerly anticipated third series.

The show won British TV's top industry awards for two consecutive years, picking up both the 2007 and 2008 BAFTA and Royal Television Society Awards for best drama series, as well as international Emmys.

As with the first two series, McGovern has mentored up-and-coming writers to create uncompromising potent stories about people who live on the same street in the North West of England.

The cast list boasts Timothy Spall, reprising again his memorable role as the lovable Eddie. The high-calibre line-up also features: Bob Hoskins, Frances Barber, Anna Friel, Daniel Mays, Jonas Armstrong, Joseph Mawle, Stephen Graham and Ruth Jones.

di marco
09-07-2009, 08:13
i saw the adverts for this and am really looking forward to it

Katy
09-07-2009, 10:53
I cant wait, the Street is always amazing. Some great actors lined up as well.

lizann
09-07-2009, 12:07
Its got a great line up of actors and actresses - should be good :thumbsup:

Perdita
10-07-2009, 08:04
Actor Bob Hoskins has had to do his own stunts after BBC programme makers organised a stuntman who was a foot taller than him.

Hoskins, who is just 5ft 6in, said: "I wound up doing my own stunts because, when the stuntman turned up, he was 6ft 6in.

"I know how to act - it's getting bashed up that's not such fun."

Hoskins, whose hit films include Who Framed Roger Rabbit, was filming a one-off performance for BBC drama The Street.

The 66-year-old actor plays a pub landlord who gets involved in a brawl with a local gangster during the episode, which will be screened on July 13.

The show will also feature actress Frances Barber, 51, as his wife.

"Frances and I have been wanting to work together for years, and now we finally have the opportunity," said a delighted Hoskins.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/07/03/bob-hoskins-forced-to-do-own-stunts-due-to-lack-of-short-stuntmen-115875-21491117/

Siobhan
14-07-2009, 09:05
Yet again The Street turned out a fantastic episode.. I urge anyone to watch this (even if you haven't seen series 1 or 2).. The genius about this show is that you can pick any episode and not have to know what has gone on before... I evokes so many different emotion over the hour.. one minute you could be crying, next laughing so hard.. I love this drama... :clap::clap::clap: to Bob Hoskins for his performance last night

Katy
14-07-2009, 10:14
It was amazing, the tension they managed to create. He is such a great writer, i was gripped ffrom start to finish. THere were some great one liners to lighten the moments that were a bit tense. Cracking episode, roll on next week.

di marco
14-07-2009, 18:33
i love the street, it was a really good epi. cant wait for next weeks

Chloe O'brien
14-07-2009, 21:41
What did Paddy say to that gangster about his son when he put the two pints with the umberella's in them on the bar? My phone went and I missed what he said only saw the son walking out crying.

Siobhan
15-07-2009, 09:43
What did Paddy say to that gangster about his son when he put the two pints with the umberella's in them on the bar? My phone went and I missed what he said only saw the son walking out crying.

He said (and I love this quote) "if you treat your son like a tart, I will serve him like a tart"

Perdita
15-07-2009, 14:12
From Digital Spy:

BBC One's award-winning drama The Street will not return for a fourth series, show creator Jimmy McGovern has announced.

The scriptwriter told Radio 4 that the decision is due to cutbacks at ITV Studios in Manchester, where the acclaimed programme was filmed.

"It's finished now because ITV have closed down that drama unit," McGovern explained. "I am sure that's why Michael Grade left - because it was a content-led revival, he said, and they have closed down the producers of the best content."

On the possibility of recruiting another producer for the drama, he insisted: "I wouldn't want to - it belonged [at ITV Studios]. All the people have gone. You live and breathe with people, you walk into busy rooms and see people working hard - the casting, the make up, the wardrobe, even the receptionists - and the next minute they are all gone.

"It's so sad - one of the best dramas ITV has ever made and it's gone."

The Street's third series launched last night with an episode starring Bob Hoskins and Frances Barber, which attracted 5 million viewers.

A BBC spokeswoman told The Guardian: "This is a decision Jimmy McGovern has taken as a result of recent changes at Granada. We respect that decision and we are currently in talks with him about future developments."

di marco
15-07-2009, 21:46
thats such a shame as i really enjoy watching this :(

Chloe O'brien
15-07-2009, 23:34

He said (and I love this quote) "if you treat your son like a tart, I will serve him like a tart"

Thanks I guess he had to make some comment about him being a woose or something since Paddy' son said earlier that he could have him, but my darn sister phone me and I missed what was said.

Siobhan
16-07-2009, 10:11

Me too.. but it is funny that he uses ITV studios even though it is never shown on ITV... always BBC.. I have the other 2 series on DVD so will get this one when it is out.. I have watched them loads...

di marco
16-07-2009, 11:30

Me too.. but it is funny that he uses ITV studios even though it is never shown on ITV... always BBC.. I have the other 2 series on DVD so will get this one when it is out.. I have watched them loads...

yeh i thought it was weird that it was made at an itv studio when i read it! i didnt realise they were out on dvd

Siobhan
16-07-2009, 11:35

yeh i thought it was weird that it was made at an itv studio when i read it! i didnt realise they were out on dvd

series 1 and 2 is, not 3 yet (0bviously).. it is what I spent my SBBB winnings on :thumbsup:

Perdita
16-07-2009, 14:11
Monday 3 August
9.00-10.00pm BBC ONE

Bigoted and cantankerous head chef Kieran Corrigan has had enough of foreign workers flooding into this country, as Jimmy McGovern's powerful, award-winning drama continues.

Kieran is a lonely man. Raised by his war hero grandfather, he blames the Polish community for his grandad's missed chance to be a Manchester City footballer. In the kitchen where he works, Kieran's is the only white face. When Kieran goes on a blind date with Maria, a woman he deals with on the phone every day at work, he can't conceal his disappointment upon discovering that she is black.

Kieran's best mate, Duffy, has never done a day's work in his life and is permanently on invalidity benefit. After a drinking session in the pub one night, Kieran and Duffy approach a burning building. A little Polish girl, Anna, is screaming at the window for help. Staring up at the girl's terrified face, Kieran is frozen to the spot with fear and does nothing, while Duffy charges past him into the burning house and rescues the girl from one of the upper floors. Handing the child to Kieran, Duffy tells him: "You did this, I'm on invalidity."

Kieran fast becomes a local hero with his picture in the paper, free drinks at the pub, adulation from women, applause from his colleagues and, most importantly, much gratitude from the child's mother, Olenka.

Because of the fire, Olenka is homeless and destitute and Kieran valiantly offers her a roof over her head. Then things really start to get complicated...

Katy
16-07-2009, 18:10
thats a shame, but at least it has had well two really amazing series and a third that looks lke it will be just as good.

I have the DVDs to Shiv, there brilliant, you can watch them over.

Bryan
16-07-2009, 18:14
i really enjoyed Monday's episode, caught it on I Player here. Bob Hoskins was amazing in it, I'd give him a BAFTA to be honest with you, he's been a favourite of mine for years, but he really pulled on the heart strings with that performance.

an amazing show, i cant remember much of the first series, and i dont think i caught the second, so i will definatley be getting them on dvd at some point!

Siobhan
20-07-2009, 15:42
REMINDER: Tonight at 9pm episode 2... can't wait..

Katy
20-07-2009, 17:24
i cant either, its the Anna Friel episode.

Bryan
20-07-2009, 18:07
im looking forward to this, I always love to sit down and switch everything off and just enjoy an hour of quality tv with no distractions.

Siobhan
21-07-2009, 10:01
it was Brilliant :clap::clap::clap: My heart went out to Dee... especially when she took the boys to the school.. Laughed at the jaffa cakes bit :rotfl:
Again it invoked every emotion in me, i cried, i was angry at joe and I was laughing.

DaVeyWaVey
21-07-2009, 15:38
Completely superb. Anna Friel was fantastic. I cried when she was begging to get her children into St Peters'.

I watched the first episode too and thought that was brilliant as well. It really demonstrated how something so trivial could turn into something much more serious. The tension in that episode was so well done.

Siobhan
21-07-2009, 15:50
Completely superb. Anna Friel was fantastic. I cried when she was begging to get her children into St Peters'.

me too!! I loved that Mark's mum understood why she was doing what she was doing and it was lovely that we together at the end

Katy
21-07-2009, 18:18
and me! I was just hoping so much there would be a happy ending. It was so well written, absolutley brilliant drama.

Anna Friel was excellent.

di marco
21-07-2009, 19:55
it was really good as always. its one of the few shows that keeps me interested for the whole hour and it doesnt feel like its been on forever!

Siobhan
22-07-2009, 08:54
it was really good as always. its one of the few shows that keeps me interested for the whole hour and it doesnt feel like its been on forever!

That's it! it keeps you hooked for a whole hour but it flies by!!

Bryan
22-07-2009, 12:14
have to say i didnt enjoy this episode as much as the Bob Hoskins one, but it was still very good all the same! who's turn is it next week?

Perdita
22-07-2009, 12:23
Monday 27 July
9.00-10.00pm BBC ONE

On the street, a phone rings in the Calshaw's house as Jimmy McGovern's powerful, award-winning drama continues. But nobody is home. TA soldier Private Nick Calshaw played by Robin Hood star Jonas Armstrong, is calling from Afghanistan. He has managed to get hold of a satellite phone and is sneaking a call to his family.

The answerphone kicks in and Nick leaves a message. On her return from school, Nick's sister, Ellie, plays the message. As Nick talks, there are panicked shouts in the background, a baby starts to cry, and someone shouts: "Shoot her!" A massive explosion follows and then the line goes dead.

Ellie calls her parents, Alan and Kim, who rush home, frantic with worry. Nick's fiancée, Gemma, runs out of the school where she is teaching. Later, two Army officials call at the house to tell them that there has been an incident involving their son.

Nick travels home on a train with fellow squaddie, Rob, while back on the street his family prepares a welcome-home party. When Nick emerges from the taxi outside his family home, the full extent of his facial disfigurement is revealed to his shocked parents and to Ellie.

Nick seeks sanctuary with girlfriend Gemma. However, despite being surrounded by those who love him, Nick becomes increasingly depressed and withdrawn.

Private Nick Calshaw is played by Jonas Armstrong; Ellie by Kirstie Leigh Porter; Alan by Ian Puleston Davies; Kim by Siobhan Finneran; Gemma by Emily Beecham; and Rob by Lee Turnball.

From BBC website

Perdita
23-07-2009, 14:40
Monday 10 August
9.00-10.00pm BBC ONE
Press pack

Alcoholic Shay Ryan (Stephen Graham) discovers he has a sonStreet resident Shay Ryan tells his AA group about the moment he became an alcoholic, as Jimmy McGovern's powerful, award-winning drama continues. It was the day that armed gunmen held up the betting shop where he was manager, leaving Shay traumatised. Before the robbery, Shay needed a drink every night. After the robbery, he needed one every morning, too.

Madeleine, an ex-girlfriend that Shay hasn't seen for years comes to see him at work to inform him that he has a son. Otto is 16 years old and has asked to meet his dad. Madeleine didn't tell Shay about Otto because she wanted nothing more to do with him. Even 16 years ago, Shay's drinking was becoming personally corrosive and destructive to those around him.

Now Shay is hopelessly addicted to vodka, which he mixes with coke in an attempt to hide his alcoholism. His life is a mess. His student lodgers are moving out because of his negligence as a landlord and he's constantly being battered for being drunk and abusive in the pub.

When Madeleine and Otto arrive at Shay's for lunch, as arranged, Shay is shocked to see that his son has Down's syndrome. He can't bring himself to answer the door. Madeleine tries to console a devastated Otto, taking him home. Typically, Shay proceeds to drink himself into a stupor.

Finally, Shay realises that he has lost 16 years of his son's life. Can he pull himself out of his alcoholic malaise, learn to live again and embrace a life enriched by Otto?

After six months without a drink, Shay reveals to his AA group that he understands why Madeleine won't let him see his son again. But Shay lives in hope...

Stephen Graham plays Shay; Maxine Peake plays Madeleine; and Leon Harrop plays Otto.

Katy
23-07-2009, 22:22
=They do get some very good actors and actresses on this show. Must show how good it is. If it wasnt any good then no one would want to do it.

Looking forward to the Maxine Peake episode and i think Ruth Jones is in episode 6, that should be good as well.

Chloe O'brien
26-07-2009, 00:21

I watched the first episode too and thought that was brilliant as well. It really demonstrated how something so trivial could turn into something much more serious. The tension in that episode was so well done.

I was sitting crying too when she was at the hearing. Did not realise the vicar was one of her clients until he said you got them in Ruby, very cleverly done. Dee story was emotional and heartwarming as she didn't justify or look for pity on why she was on the game. She did what she had to do to provide for her kids.

DaVeyWaVey
27-07-2009, 22:25
Extremely powerful stuff tonight. I was crying by the end. That has to be the best hour of drama I've seen all year. Jonas Armstrong gave a brilliant performance - you could just feel all that anger and angst that was desperately oozing out of him.

You could cut the atmosphere with a knife during the family/girlfriend scenes, making it all the more tense. That "beautiful" speech in the hospital was when the tears started to roll for me and Nick finally managed to get out all those emotions that he must have been feeling and taking out on everyone else.

The reactions were so realistic - the subtle looks made by people in the pub, the child that cried on the train etc.

It was ironic in the end that an Arab saved Nick's life when Nick was fighting against them in the war.

One word for that episode = incredible.

Chloe O'brien
27-07-2009, 23:11
They should rename Monday night bawling eyes out night, as for the third monday in a row I've been reaching for the tissues. Brilliant performance from Jonas and the actors who played his parents, his dad showed real emotion hiding away to break down.

tania harrop
28-07-2009, 09:10
=They do get some very good actors and actresses on this show. Must show how good it is. If it wasnt any good then no one would want to do it.

Looking forward to the Maxine Peake episode and i think Ruth Jones is in episode 6, that should be good as well.

the ep with maxine peake in is brill, i have seen it as my son plays otto her son with downs syndrome,all the episodes have been great so far.

Siobhan
28-07-2009, 10:58
They should rename Monday night bawling eyes out night, as for the third monday in a row I've been reaching for the tissues. Brilliant performance from Jonas and the actors who played his parents, his dad showed real emotion hiding away to break down.

couldn't agree more.. It was the first thing I said when it was over... I have to remember to bring tissues for next monday..

Brilliant acting, worked my every emotion... well done Jim Mc Govern :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Siobhan
30-07-2009, 13:40
Did anyone else think that Nick was like Sean in EE? I thought both played parts well of soldiers returning from war and having to face reality again while living in conflict of what they seen in the war.

di marco
31-07-2009, 07:57
ive not managed to see this weeks yet, looking forward to seeing it though

Siobhan
31-07-2009, 08:54
ive not managed to see this weeks yet, looking forward to seeing it though

bring a box of tissues... you are going to need them

Siobhan
05-08-2009, 15:57
Again this week was really really good... not as tearful as the last few weeks but still brilliant... Loved the end where he went on a date with the woman..

Katy
05-08-2009, 19:41
Again i agree, great television. Each week has been great.

I lovwed the line, "i can't i'm on invalidity!"

Siobhan
11-08-2009, 09:43
OMG.. how amazing was this last night.. fab acting all around and great to Jonas Armstrong back in it.. Cried again

tania harrop wrote it is her son who play Otto.. Well done to you and your son.. he was totally amazing.. I wanted to scream at Shay for all the stuff he said to Otto... fantastic acting.. well done :clap::clap::clap:

So far I have to say my favs have been Anna Friel and Jonas Armstrong ones. this comes in joint 3rd with Bob Hoskins one...

DaVeyWaVey
11-08-2009, 10:50
The Jonas Armstrong episode is my favourite of the series so far.. but absolutely loved last night's episode. Excellent drama once again, with fantastic acting all round. The core cast were all top notch.

I was so angry with Shay especially when he asked "Do you have any normal children?" :angry: but the time he eventually spent with Otto was so touching and beautiful.

It was an excellent portrayal of how an alcoholic doesn't effect their own life but all the lives of those around them as well.

tania harrop
11-08-2009, 11:11
LEON HAS HAD LOADS OF CONGRATS THIS MORNING AFTER HIS PERFORMANCE LAST NIGHT IN THE STREET, HE IS BUZZIN, HE HAS NEVER DONE ANY ACTING BEFORE AND DID REALLY WELL WITH IT.:cheer:

DaVeyWaVey
11-08-2009, 11:13
LEON HAS HAD LOADS OF CONGRATS THIS MORNING AFTER HIS PERFORMANCE LAST NIGHT IN THE STREET, HE IS BUZZIN, HE HAS NEVER DONE ANY ACTING BEFORE AND DID REALLY WELL WITH IT.:cheer:

Wow is he your son? When Siobhan said, I didn't realise you were a member on here.

Congratulations. You should be so proud of your son. When he smiled at Shay at the end, I was in tears :( so so powerful. He gave such a brilliant performance.

Siobhan
11-08-2009, 11:33
Same here Davey.. that smile at the end had me in floods of tears... Tania, you have all good reason to be very proud of your son... Please let Leon know that I thought he was amazing!!

tania harrop
11-08-2009, 12:54

Wow is he your son? When Siobhan said, I didn't realise you were a member on here.

Congratulations. You should be so proud of your son. When he smiled at Shay at the end, I was in tears :( so so powerful. He gave such a brilliant performance.

thank you for your kind comments i have passed them on to leon, i cried the first time i saw it and i watched it being filmed. all our family were in tears and very very proud of him.:thumbsup:

tania harrop
11-08-2009, 12:57
Same here Davey.. that smile at the end had me in floods of tears... Tania, you have all good reason to be very proud of your son... Please let Leon know that I thought he was amazing!!

thank you very much, ive told leon what you said he is very pleased, all the family are really proud of him, he is our superstar!!!:cheer:

Bryan
11-08-2009, 15:35
just watched last nights episode, and yet again a moving peice of television. it's my second favourite of the series, Bob Hoskins one being my first.

great acting all around especially from the lead, i really did feel for him, and the end was so sweet. :)

it's a shame this is the last series of the Street :(

Hannelene
11-08-2009, 20:19
This has me hooked I love the street!
Don't want it to end

Chloe O'brien
12-08-2009, 01:16
Another brilliant episode you just knew what was going to happen when shay was drinking from the coke bottle, I'm surprised Miranda didn't smack Shay at the hospital.

Well done to Leon he was brilliant you all must be so proud.

Hannelene
12-08-2009, 06:32
It was good
Jimmy McGovern makes wonderful heartfelt dramas :)
The Street is my 2nd fav as I loved The Lakes!

Bryan
17-08-2009, 13:32
the last ever Street tonight people!!!! :(

Siobhan
17-08-2009, 13:34
the last ever Street tonight people!!!! :(

I know :crying::crying: but it has Eddie in it..

Katy
17-08-2009, 17:47
im looking forward Eddie episodes are always good. It is a shame its the last one though.

I love Jimmy McGovern, im rewatching the Lakes now.

Hannelene
17-08-2009, 19:46
I will be watching tonight!!

Katy
17-08-2009, 22:11
I think i have stopped crying now! That was an amazong episode. but one thinkg was bugging me, whose was the Baby? Leannes?

Siobhan
18-08-2009, 08:53
I think i have stopped crying now! That was an amazong episode. but one thinkg was bugging me, whose was the Baby? Leannes?

Yeah baby is Leanne's but we didn't see her have it or anything... mind you it has been a year since we were last on the Street

I have just about stop crying now... how amazing, sad and brilliant was that episode!! :clap::clap: Jim mcGovern did it again...

DaVeyWaVey
18-08-2009, 12:45
That was just simply fantastic. Heads and sholders above the rest of any British drama on TV in terms of acting, realism and script.

Ruth Jones, in particular was exceptional. What a talent. I felt so much sympathy for her character - she displayed the loneliness she felt just through her expressions. That scene in the taxi office the morning after the night before was just so powerful. No dialogue needed.

I think the wife summed it up perfectly, as to why her husband slept with Sandra when she said "he was a big soft lump that would do anything for anybody".

And the ending had me in absolute floods! Terrific performances. I thought the funeral scenes were spot on in terms of realism and Timothy Spall's speech had me in tears.

I'm sad to see this series go.

That was probably my favourite episode of the whole series. Pure brilliance on every level.

Katy
18-08-2009, 12:47
I agree the emotion that Timothy Spall displayed, it was amazing.

I think this was my favourite of the whole series.

Siobhan
18-08-2009, 12:48
I think it was right to end the series this way.. I can't imagine having Eddie without Margie...

And all because he didn't want to say no twice and let Sandra down.. :crying:

Katy
18-08-2009, 12:55
yes i agree, and i also think it had the added effect of already knowing the characters from the first two series, it was so clever the links between them. Like mentioning the lump from series two.

Hannelene
18-08-2009, 21:30
I cried for this last episode why did it have to end?

GossipGirl
28-08-2009, 21:00
I heard it was because of the large budget

Bryan
31-08-2009, 11:02
just been watching the first series on DVD, the episode with Jim Broadbent was simply amazing, really moving, but with some funny moments too. Like when he took the book out from the library about Suicide and the librarian asked who's going to return it :D :lol:

Siobhan
01-09-2009, 10:40
my favourite is the last episode in series 2 with Paul, cried for ages after it

Chloe O'brien
04-09-2009, 22:04
My favourite was the Gina McKee one when her son and his cousin when on a night out.

Katy
04-09-2009, 23:33
My favourite was the Gina McKee one when her son and his cousin when on a night out.

Yes, i forgot about that one, they were in Manchester and they got into a taxi it was a boy and his cousin and the one took the blame for the other. That was brilliant, and it had Lorraine AShbourne in it.

For me my favourite episode was the one in Series one with the footballer, and Jody Latham was the main guy who had a blind father. That was brilliant.

They were all so good though.

Bryan
05-09-2009, 16:13

that was a good one and such a tough decison for Gina Mckee's character to make, would you sacrifice your nephews freedom for your sons? hmmm. tough one.

Hannelene
05-09-2009, 16:59
I would love more episodes of this show is it true that there will be no more? Plus does anyone know if these 2 series' are available on DVD?

Katy
05-09-2009, 18:52
all three are on DVD now, i have them all.

Me and my friend wathced the first two in a day, well day and a night, it were like we lived on the street.

Hannelene
05-09-2009, 19:52
Thanks off I go to play.com to have a look as they always have reasonably priced dvds

Johnny Allen
06-09-2009, 13:53
This has been an excellent series, good to see a decent british drama, Anna Friel's episode was sensational.

Siobhan
07-09-2009, 09:56
all three are on DVD now, i have them all.

Me and my friend wathced the first two in a day, well day and a night, it were like we lived on the street.

Fantastic.. I only have series 3 to get... I have the other 2 already (part of my SBBB prize, thank you Norman)

Katy
07-09-2009, 14:17
I need to persuede my sister to watch them, as a drama student i think she should, the actings fantastic.

Bryan
09-09-2009, 21:08
my favourite is the last episode in series 2 with Paul, cried for ages after it

just watched this episode, must have missed it when it was aired on tv.

have to say it is simply the best episode of all 3 series of the Street, in my opinion anyway. the performances from Toby Kebbell, who played Paul, and the actress who played the mother of the baby were outstanding. i cried so much near the end.

that episode proved that when it's done right, British drama is second to none. sometimes you dont need big budget OTT american dramas, sometimes two people sat in a room together can make for the most dramatic and moving television.

Siobhan
10-09-2009, 10:34
I need to persuede my sister to watch them, as a drama student i think she should, the actings fantastic.

Just show her the Paul episode.. seriously it is one the best I have seen.. next to that show her the one in Series 3 with the Nick (Jonas Armstrong) in fact, next time she is over, just have it running in the background... any episode of the 18 will have her wanting to see more..

Katy
10-09-2009, 10:35
Ill try that, she defintly needs to see it.