PDA

View Full Version : forty years on:can England win world cup?

chance
21-03-2006, 14:30
forty years on:can England win world cup?
what do you think?

Siobhan
21-03-2006, 14:45
no offence but I don't think England can. there is better, stronger teams out there

Trinity
21-03-2006, 14:49
I jolly well hope not!

It is bad enough listening to the commentators now, 40 years on from the last win.

They bring up 1966 ALL THE TIME.

I am hopeful that if they don't win again by 2040 my grandchildren (yet to be born) may listen to some unbiased commentary when watching football. But I won't hold my breath.

Jojo
21-03-2006, 14:50
Not a chance - sorry, but there are far better teams out there. England havent exactly been performing well of late have they...

JustJodi
21-03-2006, 15:00
I honestly do not think so I have been living in Europe for 5 yrs now and I have not seen England do much good, as JOJO says there are just too many other good teams.:ninja:

Siobhan
21-03-2006, 15:01
I jolly well hope not!

It is bad enough listening to the commentators now, 40 years on from the last win.

They bring up 1966 ALL THE TIME.

I am hopeful that if they don't win again by 2040 my grandchildren (yet to be born) may listen to some unbiased commentary when watching football. But I won't hold my breath.

wow, I thought that that was just an Irish view of english commentary on 1966.

Trinity
21-03-2006, 15:04
wow, I thought that that was just an Irish view of english commentary on 1966.

Naw. A Scottish view of current football commentary!:thumbsdow

Em
21-03-2006, 15:33
Naw. A Scottish view of current football commentary!:thumbsdow

Most definately!

I live in England now, have done for a while, but as someone who doesnt support england (being scottish), i detest watching any kind of match on tv here, whether its cricket / football / rugby, because of the biased nature of the commentators. The title of this thread says it all - harpng back 40 years to when it was last won! If I go far enough back Im sure I can find something Scotland won! (well maybe!!!)

when Ireland or Wales play I can hold up my hands and say yep, come on! for the sake of the UK. I just cant do it with England!

And no, I dont think the England team is good enough - as individual players they are good but they dont seem to gel well together.

Tamzi
24-03-2006, 23:49
Engalnd's problem is the fact we focus too much on things like the FA cup. We get all these players in from other countries (and i don't have a problem with that since I support Arsenal, the pratically French team!) and then when it comes to the World Cup they all go and play for other teams. We don't have a strong team and they don't work well together. I don't see England winning this year or anytime soon
xxx

Chris_2k11
25-03-2006, 00:29
Lets face it guys, there's no way they're gonna win. :o

Katy
25-03-2006, 14:47
no way, with the likes a stephen Gerrard as world class, hes not that good.

Such a shame i dont have a team to support, as Ireland did not qualify (sob).

I think the cups brazils.

Abi
28-03-2006, 20:48
No i dont think so. I think England are a good enough squad, but other teams are far better. They always seem to be injured, or have some other excuse. I think they'll get to the quarter finals, but no further unfortunatly.