PDA

View Full Version : Boyzone star set for EastEnders

kayla05
30-01-2006, 22:43
Could Stephen Gately be heading for Albert Square? The singer has set tongues wagging by revealing he’s been offered a bumper deal after a secret audition with a BBC soap. And although he’s yet to sign a contract, there are strong rumours the 29-year-old will join EastEnders.

The Boyzone star will be following in the footsteps of bandmate Keith Duffy, who made a surprisingly efficient fist of oafish Oirish hunk Ciaran McCarthy in Coronation Street.

Stephen told the Daily Star on Sunday: “I did the audition last week but I think it would be really unlucky to say which BBC soap until I sign a contract. I’ve been waiting for an opportunity like this since Boyzone split up. Of course Keith is a great guy to talk to about this since his success in Coronation Street. He’s always been very supportive of me.”

Although the part could also be in the hospital dramas Casualty or Holby City, insiders say EastEnders is hot favourite. We do hope so – Steven could certainly give Phil Mitchell a run for his money in the hardman stakes. Hmm... then again, maybe not.

pops110874
30-01-2006, 23:18
Please say it isnt so.

Surely eastenders is not that desperate? Stick to the day job stephen, whatever that may be these days.....

Chloe O'brien
31-01-2006, 00:58
OMG they must be really scrapping the bottom of the barrel what part will he be playing the next big hard man I think not

littlemo
31-01-2006, 01:09
What character could he be playing? do you think it's one they've already said is coming to the square? Maybe a Wicks?

I'd say the BBC soap is Eastenders. They may class Holby City and Casualty in that catergory nowadays, but it's on once a week, so I don't think he'd say it was a soap. I wouldn't say it was.

chance
31-01-2006, 01:12
hmm i wondor what kind of character he will be playing,and if he will be any good or whether he should just stick to singing and panto..

Florijo
31-01-2006, 01:14
Doctors?

Not happy about this if it is EE. I don't want singers in EE, I want proper actors.

littlemo
31-01-2006, 01:21
Doctors?

Not happy about this if it is EE. I don't want singers in EE, I want proper actors.

Some people surprise you though. I liked Kiaran who was played by Keith Duffy in Coronation Street. I thought he was a good actor and character. Casting directors don't just hire anyone, just because they are famous, they had to have seen some acting talent there.

Florijo
31-01-2006, 01:30
Some people surprise you though. I liked Kiaran who was played by Keith Duffy in Coronation Street. I thought he was a good actor and character. Casting directors don't just hire anyone, just because they are famous, they had to have seen some acting talent there.

Good point, but I just don't like to have too many well known names coming into the show as I feel it upsets the balance of the cast. If Stephen Gately was the best for the job then I could live with that but if he is not, and we will never know, then I would not be happy for them to hire him just cos he is a name.

Luna
31-01-2006, 07:49
never know could be river city... :rolleyes:

crazygirl
31-01-2006, 10:38
maybe he will be the new slater

phils little sister
31-01-2006, 10:57
haha maybe he could be Bradley's Boyfriend

crazygirl
31-01-2006, 10:59
haha maybe he could be Bradley's Boyfriend :lol: :lol: :lol:

pops110874
31-01-2006, 11:47
Didnt pauline have an irish branch of the fowlers? Or maybe he will put on a lovely eastend accent?

Tannie
31-01-2006, 12:26
But it is really only up to the producers of bbc and eastenders if they pick him or not and he could be another slater and i don't know if Pauline does have and irish branch of fowlers.

Em
31-01-2006, 12:27
Didnt pauline have an irish branch of the fowlers? Or maybe he will put on a lovely eastend accent?

I think she did - or am I getting confused with that lad Aiden? was he irish? :searchme:

alan45
31-01-2006, 12:30
But it is really only up to the producers of bbc and eastenders if they pick him or not and he could be another slater and i don't know if Pauline does have and irish branch of fowlers.

How long have you been watching EE. Can you not recall the outcry there was when EE went to Ireland to meet Conors family.

The BBC was rightly criticised for portraying them as stereotypical OIRISH (sic). Yet another disasterous storyline whuch caused great offence. :angry:

Tannie
31-01-2006, 12:32
No i don't and i have been watching it since i was like 5 which would be since 1996.

Em
31-01-2006, 12:34
Oh yaeh I remember Connor now. How was he related again?

Siobhan
31-01-2006, 12:35
Oh yaeh I remember Connor now. How was he related again?

he was paulines nephew.. her mum has a girl and gave her away so her sister was Connor's mum...

Florijo
31-01-2006, 12:41
The Flahertys were flipping awful, though hardly surprising considering how most of the Irish/Scottish characters in EE have been portrayed over the years. The only good thing about Conor was that he took that boring shrew Ruth with him when he left.

Em
31-01-2006, 12:46
Now i remember !! Thanks!

Siobhan
31-01-2006, 12:46
If you look at all the irish characters in most soap we are portrayed badly.. The first was Aidan, he tried to kill himself and lived rough.. Connor and Mary, the broke up relationships. In corrie there was that nurse who had the affair with Martin (carmel i think her name was) and went mental and then Ciarian, the lovely Keith Duffy, came on and tried to break Shelly and peter up and then slept with Shelly's mum when he was with Sunita... If Steven Gately is joined EE, please let us have one decent irish person

Florijo
31-01-2006, 12:49
Tom Banks was nice, he saved Little Mo.... :ninja:

Em
31-01-2006, 13:07
Tom Banks was nice, he saved Little Mo.... :ninja:

Yeah - i think he was portrayed well - he died a hero anyway!

pops110874
31-01-2006, 13:13
Yeah - i think he was portrayed well - he died a hero anyway!

It was definately the best way for him to go - can you imagine if he had lived through that.

We would have had to put up with sharons (all too familiar) grieving widow act all through his long term illness - thank heavens for trevor and his psychotic firestarting..... :bow:

Em
31-01-2006, 13:17
It was definately the best way for him to go - can you imagine if he had lived through that.

We would have had to put up with sharons (all too familiar) grieving widow act all through his long term illness - thank heavens for trevor and his psychotic firestarting..... :bow:

LOL!! Very good point - Poor Sharon who would dare shack up with her now she got that whole balck widow spider thing going on!!

Florijo
31-01-2006, 13:26
:lol: Tom's funeral was today on UK Gold and Sharon left to do her mourning (wearing black obviously) in Ireland with Tom's mum.

It is quite funny as Sharon met Tom at her mum's funeral, he died, then she met Dennis at his mum's funeral, and then he died as well. :lol:

pops110874
31-01-2006, 13:32
:lol: Tom's funeral was today on UK Gold and Sharon left to do her mourning (wearing black obviously) in Ireland with Tom's mum.

It is quite funny as Sharon met Tom at her mum's funeral, he died, then she met Dennis at his mum's funeral, and then he died as well. :lol:

:rotfl: That is so funny - Seems the mitchell boys are the only ones to escape the curse of sharon.

Tannie
31-01-2006, 13:33
It's quite ironic throug isn't it.

alan45
31-01-2006, 13:33
No i don't and i have been watching it since i was like 5 which would be since 1996.

Well the Flaherty story was one of the big talking points of 1997, for all the wrong reasons :(

alan45
31-01-2006, 13:37
If you look at all the irish characters in most soap we are portrayed badly.. The first was Aidan, he tried to kill himself and lived rough.. Connor and Mary, the broke up relationships. In corrie there was that nurse who had the affair with Martin (carmel i think her name was) and went mental and then Ciarian, the lovely Keith Duffy, came on and tried to break Shelly and peter up and then slept with Shelly's mum when he was with Sunita... If Steven Gately is joined EE, please let us have one decent irish person

I agree Siobhan. Irish and Scottish characters are usually portrayed as drunks. Big Jim McDonald in Corrie is another prime example. Phil the foot-fiddler in Corrie is Scottish and is already being cast as some sort of Psycho. The Bill is another programme which sterotypes the Celts. :mad:

Richie_lecturer
31-01-2006, 14:20
No wonder Jim never gets out of jail!

Dear god, I hope Mr Gateley doesn't join EE. I've heard him speak and I can't understand a word he says. :rolleyes:

Jojo
31-01-2006, 15:18
As nice as Stephen Gately may be - I really can't see him in Eastenders and hope he doesn't join - no offence, but I think he'd look slightly out of place in Albert Square, but thats just me

Jada-GDR
03-02-2006, 14:29
omg PLEASE DONT *NOOOOOOOOO* stephen gately in eastenders?? uhhuh :nono:

Tanya
03-02-2006, 14:56
eastenders are looking really deseprerate at the moment

Siobhan
03-02-2006, 15:07
eastenders are looking really deseprerate at the moment

I know what you mean... there has been rumours about stephen gately, preston and chantelle. it is getting beyond stupid if that is who they are looking to

DaVeyWaVey
03-02-2006, 18:49
I know what you mean... there has been rumours about stephen gately, preston and chantelle. it is getting beyond stupid if that is who they are looking to

I hope Eastenders don't sink this low :rolleyes:

megan999
09-02-2006, 17:29
OMG!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO Chantelle or Preston or Stephen Gately Pleeeeeaaaassseee!!!! :sick: I think EE is quite good at the moment, and having odd additions to the cast would seriously screw things up :angry: :angry: