PDA

View Full Version : what baby names do yous like?

stacyefc
25-04-2005, 16:29
am not pregnant or anything but if i was i would pick
hallie or emily for a girl
luke or kyle for a boy
but i always change my mind

my fella is called paul and he always says "when we have kids if its a boy it getting called paul" its not.

what names do yous all have in mind?

Siobhan
25-04-2005, 16:37
If this baby is a boy it is Ben and I have Lea for a girl but I like Saoirse for a girl but not many people can pronounce it.. it is irish for freedom

Debs
25-04-2005, 17:35
i love the names josh and mason for a boy and for a girl i love the name kiera

chance
25-04-2005, 18:00
girls its goin to be shannon or angel i think and boy,not a clue!

willow
25-04-2005, 18:41
i wanted to call niamh; willow or calliegh
niall was nearly called jude river, if i had another boy i would love the name riley

Luna
26-04-2005, 10:30
I've always liked Orla for a girl and Cory for a boy

daisy38
26-04-2005, 10:32
Molly for a girl and Joshua for a boy! :)

RealityGap
26-04-2005, 11:04
We have Christopher David and Sarah Elizabeth,

if we do manage to have more, Owen Thomas for a boy not sure about a girl (and as my recent tarot reading says there is another girl in my future, better get thinking LOL)

I know that they are very "boring" name but we have a terrible last name to match names to!!

sara05
26-04-2005, 14:22
I like Troy for a boy .. Thanks Tanya (Fwives )

*vcl*
26-04-2005, 17:44
I love the Name Faith-Lauren for a girl only problem is my boyfreind hates it !

For a Boy I have always wanted Joseph-Frederick

Old fashioned names i know but I like them just got to win him round to them now,

He want to call his Son Lewis but im not to keen just doesnt have that ring to it

$sTaCeY$
26-04-2005, 17:46
i wouls choose leanne for a girl for a boy i would choose adam :searchme:

phils little sister
26-04-2005, 17:51
i like the name nicole for a girl

littlemo
01-05-2005, 01:33
I think at the moment I would call a girl baby Isobella Lily, because Isobella has really grown on me, and Lily is the name of my great grandmother, who's dead.

For a boy I quite like Cale, a woman in work has a son named that, and it really struck me when I heard it. I also quite like Jacob and Zackery.

Rach33
01-05-2005, 01:47
For Girls I love Scarlet, Lily, Isha, Evie and Honey

For Boys I love Noah, Joel, Jack, Rudy and Max

SoapWatcher
01-05-2005, 02:30
Corliss sounds nice for a girls name, or perhaps Autumn.

Blake or Perry for a boy

I like unusual names:-)

Jade
07-05-2005, 00:19
This is a baby naming link. Its a bit strange but with some cool names

baby_name (http://www.babycentre.co.uk/babyname/)

di marco
07-05-2005, 08:50
when me and my sis and some mates went shopping we found this book in whsmith and it had every baby name you could think of, some of them were really strange!

.:SpIcYsPy:.
07-05-2005, 11:27
I swear I said this... Riccardo for a boy... I wanted my brother to be named that. Jake or Chris.

.:Kitz:.
07-05-2005, 12:38
Riccardo, i really like that name. Spicy, you have a good taste in names!! I also like Leo (and not because of the fit lad in ee) i just think its a really nice name.

chance
08-05-2005, 16:50
my friend whos due around the same time as me likes the name blade for a boy.

chance
08-05-2005, 17:07
This is a baby naming link. Its a bit strange but with some cool names

baby_name (http://www.babycentre.co.uk/babyname/)
oh! :thumbsdow just looked at name site and came across the name blaise,said blaze which i thought arrr cool i like that, but then my other half don't!! :angry:

Jade
08-05-2005, 17:42
I do like that name, but its what my friends dogs called!!!

chance
08-05-2005, 18:36
lol arr well i dont think i stand a chance of having it anyway!

Ella.
09-05-2005, 22:56
I like Megan, Calleigh, Holly and Leila for girls, then for boys, Hayden, Lewis and Alex.

My husband wants to name any future boy we have Luis Garcia after the Liverpool player, but its not going to happen!!!

willow
09-05-2005, 23:03
i love the name calleigh, i got out voted though!!! so i have a niamh georgia vivien!!!

chance
10-05-2005, 00:14
brandy's quite nice for a girl i think.

soapaddict
16-05-2005, 15:52
Kelsey or Jodie for a girl.

Levi or Cody for a boy.

Twinkles
21-05-2005, 00:48
My six year old is called Isla, and if she'd been a boy she would have been James. I just thought Isla was a lovely name. She was going to be Alannah, but at the last minute I said Isla!!

soapaddict
21-05-2005, 11:25
My six year old is called Isla, and if she'd been a boy she would have been James. I just thought Isla was a lovely name. She was going to be Alannah, but at the last minute I said Isla!!

i like Isla, my cousins step-sister is isla and i think its a lovely name

.:SpIcYsPy:.
21-05-2005, 12:05
Riccardo, i really like that name. Spicy, you have a good taste in names!! I also like Leo (and not because of the fit lad in ee) i just think its a really nice name.
Thank-you :cheer:

smithzoe7
25-05-2005, 11:07
Now try not to presume i am a star wars fan!!!! I have Leia who is 6 and luke who is 2!! I loved the names (leia after my gran and Luke after my best friend) and did not realise about star wars untiil afterwards!
The worst thing was no one mentioned Star wars until i had luke too...

Omnicube
25-05-2005, 12:19
If you have traditional names, your child is more likely to get a better job.

Teachers and employers make judgements on children related to their names!

A girl with the name Bethany, Kylie or Courtney, for example, will have to prove herself more than a girl with a name like Rachel, Victoria or Elizabeth. That is because people assume the more traditional, and less fashionable a name, the more the parents have traditional values!

Therefore names like Kyle, Toby, Luke or Frederick will do your child more harm than good, as you will be perseved as having a a mind dominated by Fashion and less by traditional values!

di marco
25-05-2005, 12:34

A girl with the name Bethany, Kylie or Courtney, for example, will have to prove herself more than a girl with a name like Rachel, Victoria or Elizabeth. That is because people assume the more traditional, and less fashionable a name, the more the parents have traditional values!

Therefore names like Kyle, Toby, Luke or Frederick will do your child more harm than good, as you will be perseved as having a a mind dominated by Fashion and less by traditional values!

really? i seem to be doing fine at school and i have an unusual name!

Omnicube
25-05-2005, 12:39
You may have different experiences when you apply for a job and the thing they judge you by is the name on the top of an application form!

di marco
25-05-2005, 12:48
You may have different experiences when you apply for a job and the thing they judge you by is the name on the top of an application form!

your telling me that people are that shallow and naive? i dont think theyll all be like that but i suppose ill just have to see when i apply for jobs............

Debs
25-05-2005, 13:30

blimey i didnt realise that!! how awful!!

Debs
25-05-2005, 13:30
i was at the libray yesterday for storytime and there was a little girl called anya!! i think that lovely name!

Rain_
26-05-2005, 17:21
your telling me that people are that shallow and naive? i dont think theyll all be like that but i suppose ill just have to see when i apply for jobs............

Yes di marco unfortunately people ARE that shallow and naive. Rain is my real name and when i started a new job once everyone was climbing the walls to see the "hippie chick". Fortunately when i rang for the interview i said my name was "Miss Surname" I fully believe that if i had applied on an application form rather than an interview they would have laughed and tossed it in the bin.

Bad Wolf
26-05-2005, 17:39
i really like lyla, as in the oasis song, its a bit different, does anyone agree?

willow
26-05-2005, 17:55
Yes di marco unfortunately people ARE that shallow and naive. Rain is my real name and when i started a new job once everyone was climbing the walls to see the "hippie chick". Fortunately when i rang for the interview i said my name was "Miss Surname" I fully believe that if i had applied on an application form rather than an interview they would have laughed and tossed it in the bin.

its terrible that people are like that!!! i deal with people appling for jobs in my shop and to be honest if someone had an unusual name it would not put me off interviewing them, both of my kids have fairly unusual names

Siobhan
26-05-2005, 17:57
there is people like that and it is not just a person's name but also the area they live in.. someone with an unual name and from a big working class area are deemed to common or pretentious

Bad Wolf
26-05-2005, 17:58
unusual names make you stand out from a crowd! its rediculous how many katie/katy/kate's i know, john/ jon is another one

sorry if anyone has those names, i'm not trying to cause offence

lots of love xxxx

willow
26-05-2005, 18:00
i am a katy and i completly understand!!!! thats why i decided to give my kids something a bit different!!!!

Layne
26-05-2005, 18:03
i really like lyla, as in the oasis song, its a bit different, does anyone agree?
i like it! unusal but nice, Anya is nice to!
I like kind of weird but nice names, like mine is actually Heleyna (hel-a-na)
i Just like being called Layne, everyone calls me it!
My dad felt like putting a y in it (don't ask why he is crazy! lol) But its orginal and i like it!
Luv ya
Layne
x x x

Bad Wolf
26-05-2005, 18:04
ahhhh!!!

my name is spelt differently and it annoyes me when people spell it wrong, people usual recation is "like the friends character???" well no, - i was around first i'm sure

willow
26-05-2005, 18:09
it is amazing how many people spell my name wrong!!! i am licencee of the shop i work in and twice they have got the spelling wrong on the sticker over the door!! people always spell it katie when i am katy!!!! it is really annoying!!!
it the same with my kids names they are niall and niamh and it would take too long to go through the spellings i have had with those!!!!!

di marco
27-05-2005, 07:21
its terrible that people are like that!!! i deal with people appling for jobs in my shop and to be honest if someone had an unusual name it would not put me off interviewing them, both of my kids have fairly unusual names

well if i was interviewing someone for a job, then they would stick out more to me if they had an unusual interesting name as its something different, but obviously thats just my opinion......................

di marco
27-05-2005, 07:29

two things. firstly, thats tarring all teachers and employers with the same brush when you say "teachers and employers make judgements on children........." as im sure that not all of them do this and its prob just the same proportion of them as there are of other people who would judge you cos of your name. as ive said before, i seem to be getting on fine at school, im not the most well-behaved person, but somehow my reports are always excellent so my parents will never know what i get up to! if the teachers were judging me on my name then i then they would have given my a lot worse report cos of the things i did but they didnt.
secondly, when you have given examples of traditional and unusual names, im a bit confused. i wouldnt have thought bethany was an unusual name as i know loads of people called bethany, same goes for luke, i would have said it was quite common. also frederick is quite an old fashioned traditional name so why would that be doing "more harm than good" as you said you associate traditional names with traditional values?

Omnicube
27-05-2005, 10:38
Bethany may be perceived as common, but that has only happened in the last few years. It's a bit like Kylie and Jason a few years ago! It's regarded as a fashionable name!

Frederick is also regarded as fashionable because it wasn't used for such a long time. Now it is regarded as ironically modern!

As for your reports, teachers often have to stick to policy and are pushed to right positive reports rather than dwelling on the negative. that is because councils were threatened with legal action a few years ago if teachers wrote anything negative because it could be considered to be liable!

You don't know what the teachers say about you when you are not there - talk in staffrooms is fascinating to hear! Also because you have been at school a while, teachers may have reformed their opinion of you, but you don't know how your name might have given them a different impression of you initially!

As for 'tarring all teachers and employers with the same brush', believe me, having been both, all of the ones I've worked with (a lot) do form an impression of someone by their name and to a certain extent you probably do too!

eg, what is your impression of someone with the following names:

Sarah?

Dwane?

Nathan?

Elizabeth?

Kylie?

Be honest!

Siobhan
27-05-2005, 10:43
it is amazing how many people spell my name wrong!!! i am licencee of the shop i work in and twice they have got the spelling wrong on the sticker over the door!! people always spell it katie when i am katy!!!! it is really annoying!!!
it the same with my kids names they are niall and niamh and it would take too long to go through the spellings i have had with those!!!!!

I know what you mean... with my name (not so much now in UK and Ireland but mostly in mainland europe) if I pronounce it, people spell it Shivon. When they see it written down, they pronounce it Sio-ban....

Jojo
27-05-2005, 11:11
My two are Stephen James and Ciaran Aiden, though it is surprising how many people can't pronounce Ciaran's name and even sometimes think he is a girl!!! Currently expecting third and so far like Megan (though my husband won't let me as he thinks its too Welsh, Jones is our surname and he is Welsh!!) and Isabelle. Can't think of boys names yet though, maybe just wishful thinking as I am so outnumbered!!!

Siobhan
27-05-2005, 11:38
I wanted an Irish name for my new baby but as my boyfriend is German, he said he wanted a name his family could pronounce.. we have settled for Lea for a girl and Ben for a boy

Bad Wolf
27-05-2005, 11:40
lea is lovely - one of my favourites

Siobhan
27-05-2005, 11:42
We argured over that name too.. I wanted it with the H at the end.. he didn't... I let him have his way as he had no choice for the boys name.. I wanted something that couldn't be shorten so hence Ben.. not Benjamin or Benito.. Also his last name is very long and hard to pronounce so simple names are better

Bad Wolf
27-05-2005, 11:43
my mum called my lil bro sam, as she hated samuel but loved sam

Siobhan
27-05-2005, 11:49
My friend is called Gra (Irish for love).. I like that name

Bad Wolf
27-05-2005, 11:50
cool, hows it pronounced?

Siobhan
27-05-2005, 11:54
Graw..

Bad Wolf
27-05-2005, 11:56
cool,

chance
30-05-2005, 00:25
my son likes kanyon for a boy,he wants to call it that if a boy.

~Sooz~
30-05-2005, 12:48
I have to disagree on the judging people on what they are called, I'd say its more people get judged on how they look (wrongly in my opinion).

Any employers I've known, esp when looking for staff, have never gone on a name, its been the content of the CV that matters and their eduction or experience. Its the first time I've heard that, about being judged by your name.

di marco
30-05-2005, 13:04
I have to disagree on the judging people on what they are called, I'd say its more people get judged on how they look (wrongly in my opinion)

i agree, i think people judge you more on your appearance than your name, however i do think that both is wrong