PDA

View Full Version : 'Home & Away' spinoff rumoured for the axe

Debs
03-01-2006, 10:43
Home & Away spinoff Headland is thought to be facing the axe less than two months after it began.

The show, set at the Bay's nearby university, premiered strongly with 1.32 million viewers but has dipped as low as 600,000 in recent weeks. It was also due to air in the UK on E4 from last month, but the channel has yet to schedule a slot for it.

Despite also receiving a critical panning, Seven's programming head Tim Worner said that Headland would finally "hit its straps" in a raft of upcoming episodes.

"We really believe in this show, so we're bedding it down over summer so we can get viewers quickly to the point where it really starts to work," Worner told the Northern Territory News. "I'd be happy to have a core audience of 800,000 to work with when ratings start (February 12) as the show really evolves by then."

Luna
03-01-2006, 10:44
never heard of it lol

Debs
03-01-2006, 10:46
i knew they had done a spin off but didnt realise we were going to get it but now i guess we not!

Katy
03-01-2006, 11:13
when will they learn spinoffs hardly ever work, especially when the origional still exists.

~*~Leanne~*~
03-01-2006, 15:22
i think it would be cool if the spin off was shown over here

Emmak2005
24-01-2006, 14:09
Well it's official Channel 7 in Oz have axed the spin-off to Home & Away:

Home & Away spinoff Headland has been axed by Aussie network Seven, it has been confirmed.

The drama, based at a nearby university, began strongly last November with 1.3 million viewers but has since dived to just 600,000 - well below the 1 million needed for survival.

"There was a committed audience for Headland over summer but it was slightly under, only slightly, where we needed it to be to continue in the [official] survey [period]," said programming head Tim Worner, confirming that the series would air its final episode this Saturday.

Channel 4, which holds the UK rights to the show and shoulders the burden of most of its production costs, may now decide not to air it at all. C4 will also have the ultimate say on its future.