PDA

View Full Version : Choirboys gun for Westlife hopes

Luna
20-10-2005, 09:42
Chart giants Westlife face competition from three choirboys in the race to be named this year's Christmas number one.
Bookmakers William Hill and Paddy Power make Westlife and Diana Ross favourites to top the chart with their duet, When You Tell Me That You Love Me.

But music retailer HMV backs the Choirboys - CJ Porter-Thaw, 11, Patrick Aspbury, 12, and Ben Inman, also 12 - to secure the coveted top spot.

Proceeds from their version of Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton go to the NSPCC.

The Choirboys were discovered in their school choirs following a nationwide search across 50 UK cathedrals and churches.

Described as a junior version of the Three Tenors, they landed a £500,000 deal with music giant Universal Classics.

Contenders

They are co-managed by former choirboy Aled Jones, who had a top five success in 1985 with Walking in the Air from The Snowman.

Westlife have not had a Christmas number one since I Have A Dream in 1999.

But William Hill and Paddy Power still make them 9/4 favourites to score their 15th number one single.

Westlife's last Christmas number one single was six years ago
Virgin Megastores also make them favourites, though a spokesman said Westlife might be pipped to the post by Crazy Frog's version of Jingle Bells.

Other contenders this year include last year's X Factor runners-up G4, who have recorded a version of Johnny Mathis' When a Child is Born.

Tony Christie may also be in the running with his cover of Slade's Merry Xmas Everyone.

This year's Christmas chart will be announced on 25 December for the first time in more than a decade.

Band Aid 20 topped the rundown last year with the third version of charity single Do They Know It's Christmas.