PDA

View Full Version : Dr who is david tennant

Bad Wolf
16-04-2005, 10:39
Actor David Tennant, star of BBC period drama Casanova, has been officially named the new Doctor Who.
Tennant, 33, will become the 10th Time Lord when filming starts on the new series in Cardiff this summer.

He is taking over from Christopher Eccleston, who announced he was quitting last month after only one series as the Doctor.

Tennant, who will star alongside assistant Billie Piper, said he was "delighted, excited and honoured".

Other actors linked with the time-travelling role had included Bill Nighy, Eddie Izzard, Richard E Grant, David Thewlis and Alan Davies.

Tennant said: "I grew up loving Doctor Who and it has been a lifelong dream to get my very own Tardis.

"Taking over from Chris is a daunting prospect - he has done a fantastic job of reinventing the Doctor for a new generation and is a very tough act to follow.

"I'm also really looking forward to working with Billie Piper who is so great as Rose."

Christopher Eccleston said he was proud to have been Doctor Who
Tennant also said he was "chuffed to bits" to be reunited with writer and executive producer Russell T Davies, who also wrote Casanova.

Tennant, from West Lothian, has also appeared in BBC shows Blackpool and He Knew He Was Right and the Stephen Fry movie Bright Young Things.

He also voiced a role in the 2003 internet episode of Doctor Who, Scream of the Shalka.

Mr Davies said he had already started writing Tennant's first adventure in the Tardis.

"Regeneration is a huge part of the programme's mythology, and I'm delighted that new, young viewers can now have the complete Doctor Who experience, as they witness their hero change his face."

He said Eccleston reinvented the role of Doctor Who so it appealed to the UK's best actors.

Julie Gardner, BBC Head of Drama, Wales added: "Christopher Eccleston has given an exceptional performance as the ninth Doctor.

"David Tennant is a great actor who will build on the excellent work already done by Christopher in establishing Doctor Who for a new generation."

A new 13-part adventure and Christmas special will start filming later in 2005.

taken from bbc news

di marco
16-04-2005, 11:54
yeh i read that on digital spy as well

Behemoth
04-05-2005, 11:32
David Tennant? Isn't he going to play Barty Crouch Snr. in the new Harry Potter movie?

daisy38
04-05-2005, 12:10
Yeah he is Osiris :)

Behemoth
04-05-2005, 12:20
Thought so! He better be a good actor :angry: