PDA

View Full Version : Vicky On Her Shock Corrie Exit

Luna
21-09-2005, 11:10
CORRIE stars Vicky Entwistle and Shobna Gulati have been axed, bosses admitted yesterday.

ITV chiefs were forced to come clean and reveal the Mirror's exclusive story last week about a planned New Year cull was true, after worried actors demanded to know their fate.

But Vicky, who has played loudmouth factory girl Janice Battersby since 1997, insisted yesterday there were no hard feelings about her exit.

The 37-year-old actress, who is married to the show's props man Andy Chapman, said: "When I joined Coronation Street I never imagined that I would stay for nearly nine years.

"I have had an amazing time but understand why the decision has been taken for Janice to leave. This is a new beginning for me and I am looking forward to moving on to new challenges in my career.

"I have made some good friends and even met my husband working on this show - who could ask for more?"

Advertisement

Shobna, whose character Sunita Alahan is currently pregnant with twins, is also resigned to leaving. She said: "I've had a really good time and I'm happy that Sunita gets a big storyline.

"She won't fizzle away. It will be an emotional, rocky, rollercoaster ride. It will challenge people."

Shobna, 38, is expected to film her final scenes in February when new Corrie producer Steve "The Iceman" Frost has taken over.

But Granada TV said there are no plans to kill off either Sunita or Janice - meaning both stars could return to Weatherfield in the future.

The decision to wield the axe was made at a long-term story conference last week, and more big-name departures could be on the cards.

As well as the exit of the two established stars a final storyline is also planned for newcomer Zaraah Abrahams, who plays factory girl Nailah.

The Mirror's story revealed that Granada chiefs plan to reduce the large cast.

A Street insider said: "Vicky was the biggest shock and her exit has caused even more twitchiness in the studios.

"Since the story there has been non-stop gossip about who is going and who is staying. People were asking the question: 'Am I going or what?'"

Current producer Tony Wood said: "Shobna and Vicky are superb actresses who have proved extremely popular.

"However, it is the nature of soap that characters come and go, and the writing team and I felt these characters had run their course for the time being."

Chris_2k11
21-09-2005, 13:19
Oh no, not Janice! :( Sunita can go but I want Janice to stay! :mad:

alan45
21-09-2005, 14:04
Yeh me too. Vicky is a brilliant actor and her character Janice has loads more mileage in her yet

Keating's babe
21-09-2005, 14:20
I want them both to stay. I think Janice has been underused recently and needs to be given a few more decent storylines. I think they are making a mistaking axing Janice.

Luna
21-09-2005, 14:24
I agree - true she hasn't had many BIG storylines recently but she is still a fab character

Chris_2k11
21-09-2005, 14:32
To be honest, I don't give a toss about Sunita going. She's hardly a big part of the show is she?

Jessie Wallace
21-09-2005, 14:46
I don't mind abut either of them going, but it's a bit mean to make Vicky shave all her hair of and then sack her a few months later. But if you sig the contract you have to do what they ask of you!

Keating's babe
21-09-2005, 15:28
Yeah I see your point Jessie W. It's a tad mean of them. There is no way I would have done that. I know I'm in a Corrie thread so apologies but seeing your banner at the bottom has reminded me - when does Peggy find out that Chrissie did kill Den? it must be sometime on Thursday before the funeral - is that right?

Jessie Wallace
21-09-2005, 15:30
Yeah I see your point Jessie W. It's a tad mean of them. There is no way I would have done that. I know I'm in a Corrie thread so apologies but seeing your banner at the bottom has reminded me - when does Peggy find out that Chrissie did kill Den? it must be sometime on Thursday before the funeral - is that right?

Nope, i wouldn't shave my head for no-one contract or no contract!
Erm.. sorry don't know the answer to that, but i think Thursday yes?!

dddMac1
21-09-2005, 15:30
i'm going to miss Janice.Vicki Entwistle is a really good Actress so good luck to her

phils little sister
21-09-2005, 15:33
me to i love Janice :(

Keating's babe
21-09-2005, 15:33
Nope, i wouldn't shave my head for no-one contract or no contract!
Erm.. sorry don't know the answer to that, but i think Thursday yes?!

Lets hope she got paid well for it - otherwise I would be fuming.

Thanks. It sounds good. :D

prettypayal
21-09-2005, 17:17
who is jessie?

Debs
21-09-2005, 17:37
oh my, i really didnt think that janice and sunita would get the chop, espeically not janice

Abbie
21-09-2005, 18:07
i'm going to miss Janice.Vicki Entwistle is a really good Actress so good luck to heryer so will i

Luna
21-09-2005, 18:07
who is jessie?

one of the twins apparently

Abbie
21-09-2005, 18:08
oh my, i really didnt think that janice and sunita would get the chop, espeically not janicei know i was shocked too

no1abbafan
21-09-2005, 18:09
Why in the name of heaven are they keeping Dev - he is the worst actor I have ever seen on TV.

feelingyellow
21-09-2005, 18:30
sunita, i can understand why they're axing her, but JANICE? I thought she would stay as long as Les stayed because there's always going to be a storyline for them i.e. les could have an affair with janice
There should be a petition to let janice stay! she's TOO good!

eastenders mad
22-09-2005, 10:46
Janice hardly gets any big storylines anymore i wouldn't be suprised that she has been axed.

As for sunita i thought she was staying a bit.

SoapRach
22-09-2005, 12:40
who is jessie?

I was wondering that! one of the twins?

Chris_2k11
22-09-2005, 12:51
I was wondering that! one of the twins?Yeah

dddMac1
22-09-2005, 16:10
said in the daily star yesterday that the cast are considering going on strike

~*~Leanne~*~
22-09-2005, 16:26
i don't want sunita to leave i don't care about janice though

alkalinetrio
22-09-2005, 20:27
:d

kayla05
27-09-2005, 15:54
i want sunita to stay!

Debs
27-09-2005, 16:59
id rather janice stayed than sunita, sunita is dull now!

RealityGap
30-09-2005, 13:49
id rather janice stayed than sunita, sunita is dull now!

I really like Sunita - she is pretty dull right now - but hopefully when the whole Dev affair thing comes out she will brighten up and show us the old Sunita

Debs
30-09-2005, 16:53
I really like Sunita - she is pretty dull right now - but hopefully when the whole Dev affair thing comes out she will brighten up and show us the old Sunita

i hope she does!

Richie_lecturer
01-10-2005, 00:43
A shame Janice is going, but to be honest her character was running out of ideas so it's a fairly dispensible character.

Shame about Sunita. She's a great character, and I'd much rather Dev was the one for the chop.

Never mind.