PDA

View Full Version : Charlie worried by Corrie fans

Luna
20-09-2005, 17:09
Bill Ward, who plays Corrie bad boy Charlie Stubbs, says he has been frightened by the reaction of some fans to the current mental abuse storyline.

Charlie has reduced Rovers landlady Shelley Unwin to a nervous wreck, having played controlling mond games with her over a period of months in the soap.

But Ward has been surprised by the reaction of some male viewers who admire Charlie's behaviour.

"What scares me most is blokes congratulating me," Bill told The Mirror.

"It has happened quite a bit recently. Every now and then, after a couple of beers, someone will come up and say, 'She deserves it, doesn't she?'

"They think Charlie is a hero and that it's all legitimate and acceptable behaviour, which it isn't. You can't get into a real debate or you might get thumped, so I end up saying, 'Well, no, it isn't OK and she doesn't deserve it. It's all his fault.'

Ward also added "And it's not just men in pubs. A recent survey showed that teenage girls expected their boyfriends to hit them if they caught them flirting with somebody.

"I find it shocking the degree to which abuse is tacitly condoned in society."

RealityGap
22-09-2005, 21:33
that is really scary!

expecially about the teenagers!!!

flipflop
01-10-2005, 14:00
Shocking. I think Bill Ward is fantastic and has made Charlie completely believeable. So sad that he gets congratulated by men though, how awful

soapyclean
26-10-2005, 19:53
Its seriously frightening, they dont know the emotional problems they have coming if they go down that road.

He has done a brilliant job of portraying Charlie, just wish people would see it as just that a CHARACTER. Bill Ward is totally different from his character, its like the Little Mo and Trevor storyline, they thought it was ok for Trevor to terrorise her.

We should be showing the affects of abuse on both males and females.

dddMac1
27-10-2005, 16:06
must be hard for him