PDA

View Full Version : 3 characters HAVE been axed- from bbc news

Bad Wolf
20-09-2005, 16:33
Coronation Street character Janice Battersby, played by Vicky Entwistle, is to be axed from the soap, along with Sunita Alahan, played by Shobna Gulati.

And Jessie, played by Nailah Cumberbatch, will also leave but ITV has denied newcomer Nathan Harding, played by Ray Fearon, is to go.

Writers have yet to decide how the characters will exit Weatherfield, but they will not be killed off.

The door will be open for a possible return, said producer Tony Wood.

The decision to write out the characters was taken at a long-term story conference last week, chaired by Mr Wood.

'Run their course'

Vicky Entwistle joined the cast as loudmouth Janice eight years' ago and Shobna Gulati joined Coronation Street in 2001 as shop worker Sunita Parekh.

Mr Wood said: "Shobna and Vicky are superb actresses who have proved extremely popular during their time on the show.

"However it is the nature of soap that characters come and go and the writing team and I felt that these characters had run their course for the time being."

Actress Sunita Alahan said she was looking forward to a "great exit storyline" while Vicky Entwistle said: "I have made some good friends and even met my husband working on this show - who could ask for more?"

The news comes during a triumphant year for the ITV soap.

This month, Coronation Street was voted ITV's greatest show in a poll to mark the channel's 50th anniversary and was named best soap at the joint TV Quick and TV Choice Awards.

Other plotlines coming up include a temporary split between favourites Jack and Vera Duckworth, played by Bill Tarmey and Liz Dawn, and a guest appearance by rockers Status Quo.

<LI>An average of 11.6 million people tuned in to see the first of two episodes of Coronation Street featuring Shelley's wedding day on Monday. The second part drew 10.5 million viewers, boosting the soap's ratings by more than a million compared with the same time last week.

xcutiekatiex
20-09-2005, 16:39
oh no janice is really funny

Bad Wolf
20-09-2005, 16:43
and i like sunita- i want her and shelly to get back to being best mates again, why cant tehy just axe dev?

lollymay
20-09-2005, 16:48
janice has shaved her hair off for no reason now lol

CrazyLea
20-09-2005, 16:55
what just jessie is going??? or the other one too? i like sunita aswell

catrindavies05
20-09-2005, 17:20
And haven't Jack and Vera already had their temp split? How old is this story?

Johnny Allen
20-09-2005, 17:52
janice has shaved her hair off for no reason now lol

Exactly what a waste of time, I bet she regrets that now.

xCharliex
20-09-2005, 22:09
Heres the confirmation from the Corrie website

Corrie has confirmed that three actresses will be written out of the show at the end of their contracts.

Shobna Gulati (Sunita) and Vicky Entwistle (Janice Battersby) will leave later this year while Nailah Cumberbatch, who plays factory worker Jessie, will depart at the beginning of 2006.

The decision to write the three characters out of the soap was made at a story conference last week, chaired by producer Tony Wood.

“Shobna and Vicky are superb actresses who have proved extremely popular during their time on the show,” Wood said.

“However it is the nature of soap that characters come and go and the writing team and I felt that these characters had run their course for the time being.

“We will be leaving the door open for a possible return some time in the future as both characters have family and friends on Coronation Street.

“Jessie’s sister Joanne (Zaraah Abrahams) will be staying on the street so we may well see Nailah again in the future. She is a talented young actress and I wish her all the best.”

Vicky has played loud-mouthed Janice for over eight years and has been involved in some of the show’s best-loved storylines.

“When I joined Coronation Street in 1997 I never imagined that I would stay for nearly 9 years,” Vicky said. “I have had an amazing time but understand why the decision has been taken for Janice to leave Weatherfield for the time being at least.

Shobna joined the cast in 2001 and was simply excellent during her scenes with Mad Maya.

“I have had a fantastic four years working on Coronation Street, but it is the nature of being an actor that jobs have a beginning and an end,” she said.

“During my time here I have also had the opportunity to diversify and take on other projects such as theatre, dance and singing and I am very excited about what the future holds for me. I am also looking forward to working on what promises to be a great exit storyline.”

Corrie is keen to stress that the character of Nathan Harding, played by Ray Fearon, will be staying in the show, despite reports in the press to the contrary.

Angeltigger
20-09-2005, 22:13
she shave her head as she had nits

Lisa321
23-09-2005, 18:52
she shave her head as she had nits

Only for the storyline though..

i_luv_dennis
24-09-2005, 12:46
and now shes leaving

Angeltigger
24-09-2005, 13:42