PDA

View Full Version : At the graveside

Harmanizing
17-09-2005, 13:26
Hi. I've just come back from my hols and I wrote this 'quicky' of how I would like to see things turn out next week. I hope at least some of you agree with me!

At The Graveside

Dennis stood at Den’s graveside. At first he didn’t know what to say but suddenly the words came tumbling from his mouth.

“The last words I ever said to you were ‘I hate you’ but I don’t hate you Den, in fact the only feeling I have for you is pity. Pity for the awful life you made for yourself. Twisted, sad, hardly a moment of happiness and you brought it all on yourself Den, no-one else is to blame for any of it, it was all your own fault. What made it worse though is that you tried to do the same thing to me. You tried your damndest to keep me away from Sharon even though you knew how much I loved her; you didn’t care how low you had to stoop to do it either. Well it didn’t work Den, you see we’re married, that’s right Den, me and Sharon are married, so you see everything you tried to do to us was all in vein.
I know what made you try to keep us apart, it was almost a case of ‘if I can’t have her, no-one will’. You just couldn’t stand to see her happy with a man could you? You wanted her all to yourself, never mind whether she was happy or not. That’s the big difference between us Den, I have always put Sharon’s happiness first, it’s far more important to me than my own. You on the other hand were only ever interested in yourself and what you wanted.
Well, you are supposedly at peace now Den and I’m happy because I’m going back to Sharon.”

He made to turn and leave but something made him turn back and take one last look into the grave. Tears started to run down his cheeks and he fell onto his knees. Hardly able to speak he choked out the next few words.

“Goodbye Den……..Dad”

At that moment Sharon came up behind him and put her arms around him.

“Come on babe, let’s go back to the car”

She gently led him to the where the cars were waiting and they both got into the one in front.

When the cars arrived back in Albert Square Dennis got out and held the door for Sharon.

“Sharon, would you mind if we don’t go into the Vic. just yet. I’d like to go to Pauline’s and have a shower; I don’t really want anyone to see me like this”

“So it does worry you what people think after all! Don’t want them to see you’ve been crying?”

Dennis couldn’t help a half smile crossing his face. He touched Sharon’s cheek as he spoke

“Babe they’ve all seen me cry before. That night in the pub, when I hit you, everyone saw me cry that night. No, it’s not that, it’s just that I’d rather keep my feelings about Den between us. It’s nothing to do with anyone else”

“Okay darling come on I’ve got the key here, so we don’t need to tell anyone where we are”

They both went into Pauline’s house where Dennis, tears streaming down his face, took Sharon into his arms.

“Sharon, promise me you’ll never leave me. I couldn’t go on without you. I just wouldn’t want to live without you. Promise me Sharon”

“Darling of course I’ll never leave you; I love you far too much for anything like that to ever happen”

“I’m sorry Sharon, so very sorry”

“What for babe? For finally admitting how you really felt about Dad?”

“It wasn’t that I wouldn’t admit it babe, it was that I honestly didn’t realise. All this time I really thought I hated him but I didn’t, not really”

“I know darling, I know. Look, you go up and have your shower and I’ll make us some coffee”

After this conversation Dennis disappeared upstairs while Sharon went into the kitchen.

When he came back down Sharon put her hands on either side of his face.

“Ah. That’s more like the handsome husband I know and love so much”

They sat drinking their coffee and talking about how the funeral had gone. Once he had finished his drink Dennis was about to take the cup into the kitchen but Sharon stood up between him and the kitchen door.

“Dennis, come here”

She put her arms around his neck, pulled is head down and kissed his lips.

“Are you okay babe?”

“I am now” he replied and kissed her again “Much more of this and I’ll need another shower, a cold one this time!”

They both smiled at this idea.

“I suppose we had better go to the Vic. now”

“Yeah, I suppose we must. Sharon you know how much you mean to me don’t you, I love you so much”

“I know darling and I love you just as much”

With that they went to face the crowd in the Vic.

Chloe-Elise
17-09-2005, 17:05
Aww that was brilliant! It was so sweet, your a really good writer! :)

Harmanizing
17-09-2005, 17:08
Thanks Clo, I know several people have read this one but you are the only one who has replied. It makes it all worthwhile to know someone enjoys my stories. Thanks again.

squillyfer
17-09-2005, 17:11
It was great I just read it for the second time if only it was really like this

Stacy
19-09-2005, 22:11
I love all your scripts. Please write more of them!

Harmanizing
20-09-2005, 15:03
Many thanks to Clo, Squillyfer and Stacy. I have written a bit more of this story but I am at a loss how to continue it, so it just sort of fizzles out. Would you be interested in reading it anyway? If any of you reply I'll post the rest of the story I have written so far. Maybe you could give me some ideas on where to go next.

squillyfer
20-09-2005, 19:43
Please post more I'm sure together we can help you

Chloe-Elise
20-09-2005, 20:51
Please carry it on, the first bits great, we'll help you :D

Stacy
20-09-2005, 21:39
Please post more. Im sure no matter what you've wrote it will be brilliant

Harmanizing
21-09-2005, 17:00
Well you asked for it! Like I said it doesn't really go anywhere but I hope you like it anyway.

All the while they were in the pub Dennis sat looking at Sharon. He couldn’t take his eyes off her, he wanted her so badly. Suddenly an idea came to him.

“Tracy, I’ll have another vodka please, a double this time and you had better pour a white wine for Sharon”

He drank part of the vodka then quietly poured the rest away.

“Another double please Trace”

“You are going a bit mad aren’t you Dennis. Maybe you had better slow down a bit”

“Tracy I buried my father today. I reckon I have a right to have a couple of drinks don’t you?”

As he had expected, having given him the drink, Tracy went to the other end of the bar and spoke to Sharon, who immediately came over to him.

“Babe are you alright? Tracy is getting worried about you”

“I’m okay Sharon, I’m just having a couple of drinks in Den’s memory that’s all”

He stood up and pretended to stumble as he did so.

“That’s it, come on babe let’s get you to bed”

“Lovely idea Sharon, no wonder I love you as much as I do!”

With that Sharon put her arm around his back and helped him out of the Vic. Once outside Dennis suddenly became stone cold sober, pushing Sharon against the wall he tried to kiss her.

“Dennis honestly!”

Sharon laughed when she realised he had only been pretending to be drunk

“Not here babe, let’s go over to Pauline’s before anyone else comes out”

“Okay but I can’t wait too much longer. I want you so much it is actually painful”

As soon as they had gone through Pauline’s gate Dennis pushed Sharon against it and again, tried to kiss her.

“You do still love me don’t you sweetheart?”

“Of course I do Dennis I told you that earlier didn’t I? Come on let’s get inside before anyone sees us”

She led him into the house and upstairs to their bedroom where Dennis started to undo her jacket.

“You know babe, I never did like seeing you in black”

“Take it off then darling”

“Funny, that’s just what I had in mind, as if you didn’t know”

Once he had removed her dress he gently pushed her back onto the bed and lay down with her. They made love for the first time in over a week. Sharon hadn’t been interested while she had been involved with the arrangements for her dad’s funeral.

“Sharon darling that was wonderful. I was beginning to worry that you didn’t want me any more. We hardly seem to have spent any time together since Den’s body was found. I was really scared Sharon, scared you blamed me in some way”

“Oh darling, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to ignore you and of course I don’t blame you. It’s just that I was so upset about Dad but no-one else seemed to care”

“Including me”

“I must admit I was beginning to wonder whether you cared at all. Then when I saw you at the grave I suddenly realised that it didn’t make any difference whether you loved him or not. I love you and that is all that really matters”

Dennis touched her cheek as she spoke and when she had finished he leaned over and kissed her gently, lovingly stroking her hair as he did so.

“I’m so sorry babe, I didn’t realise what I was doing to you. I should have known but all I could think was that you had gone off me. I told Den I had always put your feelings first but I didn’t did I? Not this time. Can you ever forgive me?”

“There’s nothing to forgive baby, you can’t help how you feel any more than I can. Let’s make a pact shall we? Let’s agree here and now that, no matter what happens, Dad will never come between us again”

“Sounds like a good idea to me sweetheart”

With this he kissed her again, pouring all his love for her into the kiss.

“What do you want to do now babe? Do you want to go back to the Vic?”

“I’d rather just lay here in your arms, I can’t think of any place on Earth that could ever be nicer than that”

“I couldn’t agree more. It’s not exactly the way you expected to spend the day of Den’s funeral though is it?

“Dad’s gone darling, he’s dead. You on the other hand are still here and I know for a fact that you are very much alive!”

Dennis grinned at this and held her even tighter.

“I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve it but I have got myself the most beautiful, most loving wife in the world. I really do love you Mrs. Rickman and I always will”

“I love hearing you call me your wife and Mrs. Rickman”

“I love saying it babe. I never thought there would ever be a Mrs. Rickman, until I met you. I knew from the first moment I saw you that you were the only one who ever could be my wife”

“Really? The first moment?”

“Right from the minute Vicki called me at my mum’s funeral. I turned round and saw you and from that moment on I was totally in love”

“I didn’t realise that. I have to admit it took me a bit longer to fall for you but once I did, I fell hook, line and sinker”

“When did you realise you loved me then?”

“I think it was that night, the first time we were together. When you said it was up to me what happened next and then you moved away as soon as I shook my head. You made no attempt to force me into anything and I think that was the thing that did it”

“Well all I can say is thank God I moved away” He looked deep into her eyes “Sharon, you know I’d never force you don’t you?”

“I know darling but don’t worry, you will never have to”

“I hate to say it but we really should get up you know, Pauline, Martin or Sonia might come back any time and we don’t really want them to find us here do we?”

“Yes you’re right but make love to me again before we do”

Dennis was happy to oblige.

They were sitting in the living room drinking another cup of coffee when the others all came home.

“I see you’ve sobered up then”

“Yes I have thanks Pauline”

“A nice way to behave after your father’s funeral I must say”

“Yes, Pauline it was”

Dennis looked at Sharon and grinned, sharing a secret. Trying not to let anyone see, she smiled back at him and nodded.

“Well really! Have you no shame?”

“Not over anything I’ve done today Pauline, none at all”

He was looking at Sharon the whole time he was speaking and he saw her blush slightly.

“Now, can I get you a coffee?”

“No thanks I’ll do my own”

“Whatever”

He turned towards Sharon.

“Well babe I think I’ll go for a stroll, feel like joining me?”

“Yes I think I will, I could do with some fresh air after everything that’s happened today”

As they walked along hand in hand Sharon started to giggle quietly.

“What are you laughing at babe?”

“I was thinking about you and Pauline, if she had known what your side of the conversation was really about…..”

“I meant what I said babe, I don’t have any regrets about anything we did, do you?”

“No of course not darling, why would I regret sleeping with my husband, the man I love more than anything in the world?”

“Good. Now this is all over, the funeral I mean, maybe we can get back to normal eh? Maybe even go back to our original plans. What do you think babe?”

“Maybe but for now let’s just be glad that we are okay can we?”

By now they had reached the park and they sat down on the bench near the duck pond.

“Do you remember when we had Bobby and I wanted to bring him here?”

“When you told me you still loved me. It was before I’d told you I couldn’t have kids. That’s why I said you were too late, because you had just told me you wanted children. I loved you so much I just couldn’t deny you something you wanted so badly”

“Is that why you told Zoe you had never loved me?”

“Yes, I thought it was the only way for you to have the thing you wanted most. It really hurt to see you both at the breakfast table next morning though”

“I’m sorry babe. I only slept with her because I was angry, there was never any real feeling, not on my side anyway”

“Then when you went away, I was so miserable I didn’t know what to do. There was Zoe making a big fuss that you had left her but only I and possibly Dot, knew that it was me you had really run out on”

“Then I came back and I made the biggest mistake of my life. Thank God I came to my senses”

“It was exciting though wasn’t it? Being together right under Dad and Zoe’s noses”

“Not as exciting as being married to the woman I love. Not having to hide away in hotel rooms and being able to sit like this with you in my arms. That’s what I call exciting!”

“You really are an old romantic at heart aren’t you?”

Chloe-Elise
21-09-2005, 18:07
Aww bless its so sweet, its brilliant :D please post more soon :)

Stacy
21-09-2005, 22:33
Aw this is really sweet. Dennis and Sharon are meant for each other! Love this