PDA

View Full Version : Maybe next time (Eastenders, danny centred)

Cherryz
25-02-2005, 20:13
PART 1 - B(R)OTHERS

It just had to be one of his brother’s looks, or tone of voice, that brought back the same memory from childhood, when he first really remembered Jake getting mad at him.

It had been over Christmas, when Danny decided he wanted to set up the tabletop football game he had been very lucky to receive. The box had said ‘Adult assembly required’, but their parents were out, so he asked his older brother to do it.

Danny sat on the floor next to his older brother, smiling to himself as he watched his brother set up the game. He guessed secretly Jake was quite proud of himself that HE had been asked to set it up, and was doing a good job at it.

But Danny wasn’t the type to sit back quietly and be patient. He wanted to help out, and he wanted his brother to say well done, good job Danny. So when his brother had his back turned to look at the instructions for the next part, Danny decided to put the stickers on, starting with the scoreboard. He knew his numbers by now, and surely this would earn a smile from Jake.

He wasn’t expecting a different reaction. Danny had put the stickers that were supposed to go on the players’ uniforms on the scoreboard, and some were messily done and crinkled. “Danny, you’re wrecking the whole thing!” Jake cried out.

The younger brother bit his lip as he looked down at the sheet of stickers and hid the rest behind his back, and then he started to cry. It was only their dad who was supposed to get mad, not Jake. He was supposed to be the nice one, who didn’t yell.

“Come on, quit crying” Jake pleaded as he walked towards his younger brother.

Danny stood up, as a childish bitter scowl crossed his face that was marred with tears. “I don’t even want to play with it, or YOU anyway!” he yelled as he kicked at the nearly finished game.

Jake’s eyes widened, “Danny! I almost finished it! Look what you’ve done now; what do you think dad will do when he finds out?”

This only seemed to make things worse as the boy turned around and shook with each sob.

“Who’s crying?” a loud bark made them jump. Jake turned and swallowed, paling slightly when his father appeared in the doorway – he’d returned. “What the – is that the game I bought you kids for Christmas? Is it?!... Danny!”

Jake hesitated when his brother cowered behind him. “He, he’s crying because, I kicked his game”

His dad grabbed him by the arm and dragged him forward. Danny whimpered and Jake flinched. “Do you have any idea how much we spent on that?!” he yelled near the child’s face, “I don’t know why I bother, when a little brat like you wrecks everything! I’ll teach you about kicking things” their father growled as he tugged the boy out of the room.

Later that night, when the lights had been turned off and the boy’s were in their beds, Danny rolled over to face his brother’s back. “Jake?” he whispered. Silence. “Jake?” he said a bit louder.

“Sshh, do you want dad to come and find us still awake?” Jake whispered back warningly.

Danny bit his lip as he fingered the corner of his quilt. “I’m sorry” he said quietly. His brother continued facing the wall silently. “I didn’t want to make you or dad mad” he tugged the quilt higher up as he remembered the cries of his brother when he’d stayed sat in the lounge crying like a baby. It should have been him who was punished. “I’ll tell him it was me”

“Don’t” Jake finally replied and rolled over to lie on his back. “Let’s just forget about everything, okay?” he sighed.

No, it wasn’t okay, and he wouldn’t forget it. Danny sat up; “Do you hate me now, like dad does?” he chewed on his lip.

“You’re my brother Danny, how can I hate you?”

“…I wreck everything” the younger replied with watery warmth stinging his eyes.

Jake sighed “No you don’t. I shouldn’t have gotten mad. It wasn’t your fault”

Danny pulled his knees up to his chest, “He hurt you” he stated.

Jake swallowed; “it was nothing” he stared up at the ceiling.

“I don’t like it when dad does ‘nothing’”

There was a small silence before Jake had realized his brother was upset and crying again quietly. He sat up and glanced to the door, hoping his brother wouldn’t cry loud enough to wake their dad.

“Danny...” he glanced over in the darkness towards his brother. It wasn’t unusual for his brother to get upset at night. He particularly disliked the dark when all he could see was the thin beam of light under the door, where occasionally their fathers shadow threatened. “Quick, come over here”

Danny without hesitation pulled back his quilt and clambered down from the bed, quietly crossing the short space of floor to the other bed. Jake shifted, giving him room to climb onto and lie down.

“I’m sorry” Danny sniffled, “I always get you into trouble”

“No you don’t” Jake slung an arm around him, “I’m you’re older brother, I’m meant to protect you. Things will be fine, okay?”

It was then Danny made the childish decision that he’d make it up to his brother, and try and protect him sometimes, and make him proud. But now years later, he was beginning to feel that all the attempts were useless, he’d always mess it up, and Jake would no longer put an arm around him and tell him things would be okay, and it wasn’t his fault. Now he was used to the glares and yells from his brother, and from everyone else like Alfie, but still thought hopelessly – maybe next time it’ll be different.

Cherryz
25-02-2005, 20:16
PART 2 - GROW(ING) UP

“So, what are we doing today?” Danny asked, stealing a slice of toast off his brother’s plate as he sat down next to him at the kitchen table.

Jake let a momentary annoyed expression cross his face, at the loss of the toast, but let it slide. “I don’t know about you, but I’ve got to see Johnny Allan this morning”

Danny’s brows furrowed as he leant back in his chair, “What is it with you two lately? Drinking together, private chats - Jesus, why don’t you just marry him?”

“Danny” Jake rolled his eyes, “I’m not going to explain myself to you about this again. Just grow up”

Anger flared in the younger’s eyes, he opened his mouth to snap back but their Nana had just walked in, and bad language was a no-no in front of the old dear. “Good morning boys” she chirped as she edged to a chair.

“Morning Nana” the two greeted back with false cheer.

“Cup of tea nana?” Jake offered as he stood up.

“Oh, thankyou darling” she smiled as she sat down and patted Danny’s arm. “And what are you boys up to today?”

“Work” Jake replied.

Danny grit his teeth. “I thought I’d help out Alfie on the stall” he stood up, “I might as well go now, see ya” he smiled at their Nana then gave Jake a look before picking his jacket up off the back of the chair and leaving.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“What do you want Danny?” Alfie groaned as he shifted a box of stock.

“I just thought I’d help out my cousin, is that such a bad thing?” Danny leant against the stall frame shivering slightly and watched Alfie.

“Yeah” Alfie huffed, “look I just want to get on with it today alright, and I don’t want to have to keep one eye on you all the time”

“You don’t have to, I’m not a kid!” Danny snapped back.

“Well you could act like it sometimes mate, you know what I mean” Alfie turned to face him.

“Is there some kind of conspiracy between you and Jake? If you want to get rid of me that bad I can just leave this place”

“Don’t be such a drama queen” Alfie stopped to lean against the frame as well, “we’ve all got lives and friends of our own Danny”-

“Oh here we go another lecture where I’m the one who’s wrong. Forget it, I wouldn’t want to stay freezing out here with you anyway – it’s already cold enough between us” Danny snapped and kicked the box before turning away.

“Hey, hey!” Alfie checked inside the box, “You need to grow up Danny!” he yelled after his cousin.

Danny gritted his teeth as he stuffed his hands in his pockets and walked away, heading to a pub as far away from them as possible.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Something on your mind Jake?” Johnny asked, not looking up from the newspaper he was looking at, circling various bets to make.

“Huh? Nah” Jake shook his head and continued going through the papers at Andy’s desk.

“Well I should hope work is the only thing on your mind”

“Yeah, yeah it is” Jake turned over a document and clicked the pen a few times as he read it over.

Johnny raised an eyebrow. “I think its time you took a lunch break”

“What? No I’m fine here Johnny, can’t you see I’m busy with this?” Jake scribbled something down.

“I’ve got to go sort out my new house anyway, my son’s supposed to be turning up at some point as well”

“Your son?” Jake looked up.

“Yeah, I’ll introduce you to him later, I’m sure you’ll like him” Johnny patted him on the shoulder. “Now go on, take a break, you need one”

(\/\/\/\/\/\/)

Danny stormed toward’s the bar, silently seething. How could they all just disregard him like that? And tell HIM to grow up?! They were the ones that needed to sort their heads out. With his mind occupied, he ended up walking into the back of someone.

“Hey” they automatically said, as their beer sloshed over onto their hand and the surface of the bar.

“I’m sorry alright!” Danny snapped.

“Yeah I can see” the other said, wiping their hand down the front of their jacket, “bad day?”

“Something like that” Danny muttered and ran a hand through his hair as he let out a sigh. “I’m sorry, look let me buy you a beer and we’ll forget about it” he reached into his pockets and frowned, “damn, I left my”-

“Hey Leanne, two beers please” the guy nodded towards the bartender.

“I left my wallet”-

“Forget it. I’m buying”

“But I”-

“Tell you what, next time you can buy the beers”

“…Thanks” Danny sighed and sat next to him at the bar.

“Michael” the stranger stuck his hand out, “but I prefer Mike”

Danny blinked at the offered hand. “Daniel. But I prefer Danny” he shook the hand briefly.

“So Danny… do we drink together in silence or mope together?” the other smiled.

“I’m not in the mood to talk about my problems”

“Ah I see” Mike said as the beers were placed in front of him and he thanked Leanne. “Well, enjoy your beer”-

“You could talk about your problems though. I mean we could talk about whatever… I’m not good at this talking thing” Danny groaned.

Mike laughed; “want to sit in that booth?” he nodded towards it, “it might be easier to relax there”

“….sure... Why not” Danny picked up his beer and followed him.

Rach33
25-02-2005, 20:27
Brilliant it's good to read it again Danny's so sweet and you've got his mannerisms perfect

Cherryz
25-02-2005, 20:47
thankyou! i was worried about making them too out of character :) thanks for replying as well!

PART 3 - MIKE

“So what have you got Danny doing – sent him to get hot drinks? Wouldn’t blame you, wish I’d got here in time so he could get me one” Jake hunched up from the cold as he approached Alfie.

“What?” Alfie turned back to the lady he was finishing serving, “bye-bye, thanks love!” he waved her off and turned to Jake again, “I haven’t seen him since he stormed off earlier”

“Oh what, he didn’t hassle any customers did he?”

“He didn’t stick around for that long, he was gone before I finished setting up” Alfie rubbed his hands together and looked around.

“Great” Jake sighed. “Did he go into the Vic?”

“He didn’t head that way, but I don’t know, might have snuck in after a while, I’ve been pretty busy on here”

“Right” Jake nodded, “I’ll have a look, see if a beer will make a good enough peace offering for today”

“I’m telling you Jake, he’s got worse mood swings than any girl I’ve ever known. And I married into Kat Slater’s family” Alfie shook his head, and turned his attention to a potential customer, “’ello love, see anything you fancy? Apart from me” he laughed.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Excuse me a moment” a ringing mobile interrupted the conversation between Danny and Mike. Danny quietly drank what was left of the beer as Mike answered the phone.

“Hello?...yes… I haven’t forgotten… I’ll be there soon… I’m just finishing up a meeting… nothing important…. Bye” he turned the phone off.

Danny raised an eyebrow. “Call from your other half?”

“Hardly, it was my dad” Mike smiled back.

The other laughed, “Oh. Are you avoiding him for as long as you can or something?” Danny asked then shifted at Mike’s look, “you said you were finishing up a meeting”

“Well technically this is a meeting right?” Mike smirked. “I better get going”

“Oh right well… thanks. For the beer”

“No problem, next time you pay, and I won’t take any excuses like ‘forgetting’ your wallet”

“You live around here then?” Danny asked.

“Nearly. Moving” Mike shrugged on his jacket, “But you’ll be bound to find me here around lunch times”

“Alright. We’ll do this again sometime then”

“Certainly” Mike stuck his hand out, “bye Danny”

Danny shook it, “bye Mike” he watched the other left and felt the corner of his mouth pick up into a smile.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

Later on, Jake was at their house watching TV. Jake kept glancing towards the clock and the phone and then back at the TV. Alfie was still on the stall and their nana had gone out shopping, so there was no need for him to act like everything was great.

When he heard the front door open he sprang to his feet as he folded his arms. “Danny?”

“Wow bruv, developed powers to see through walls while I’ve been out?” Danny walked into the lounge and smiled at his brother.

“Where have you been?”

“Out mother, is that alright? It was you and Alfie who wanted rid of me anyway”

Jake sighed, “don’t start on”-

“I’m not starting anything. Like Alfie said, we have our own lives and our own friends. So, I went for a drink with a mate”

Jake blinked at him, expecting some kind of woe is me rant instead. “What? Who?”

“You could at least act less surprised, I’m not that anti-social”

“Who?” Jake repeated.

“Well I just met him today actually at the pub oddly enough. I literally bumped into him” Jake settled down on the sofa, “Urgh, how could you watch this?” he picked up the remote and changed the channel.

“Well, are you going to tell me his name?”

“Huh?” Danny replied not looking from the TV, “Oh, it’s Mike”

Jake blinked. “Mike?”

“Yeah. Mike”

“Mike” a smirk suddenly crossed Jake’s face.

“What are you, some kind of echo?” Danny groaned annoyed.

“No… No I’m just glad you’re in a better mood that’s all”

“You mean glad someone else is going to be lumbered with my presence” Danny switched the channel again.

“I’m getting a cuppa, want one?” Jake headed to the kitchen with the smirk still on his face.

“Sure” Danny called back and continued switching the channels.

Rach33
25-02-2005, 20:52
Ur welcome and I can't wait 4 da next part

Cherryz
25-02-2005, 22:08
PART 4 -

“I can’t believe Danny’s this childish” Jake laughed as he helped Alfie pack up the stall.

“What’s he done now?” was Alfie’s automatic reply as he passed a box to Jake.

“Oh he’s made a new friend. Mike” Jake replied, emphasizing the name.

“So?”

Jake paused. “Don’t tell me you don’t remember… ‘Mikey’…. Danny’s childhood imaginary friend”

Alfie stopped what he was doing and stood up straight, giving Jake a look. “Mikey…oh yeah!” he laughed. “You seriously think he’s made up this Mike again?”

“He storms off, and comes back all pleased and telling me about this ‘Mike’. A bit convenient don’t you think? I can’t believe he’s that jealous… does he really think I wouldn’t remember something like that?”

“Have you questioned him about it?”

“He seemed pretty insistent that he met this ‘Mike’ today”

“They can hospitalize people who insist their imaginary friends are real Jake” Alfie smirked.

Jake smirked back. “Look if he wants to play this little game, we might as well let him”

Alfie shook his head and laughed again.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“What have I told you about going through my things Danny!” a 10 year old Jake snapped.

Danny folded his arms, “I didn’t go through your things. Mikey did it”

“Oh right, of course, ‘Mikey’” Jake rolled his eyes. “Well tell ‘Mikey’ if he goes through my stuff again, I’ll break his hands!”

Danny looked alarmed for a moment. “Jake… everyone knows you can’t break a ghost’s hands. You’d just go through him!”

Jake sighed in frustration. “Give it up Danny, Mikey isn’t real!”

Danny shifted on his feet “Yes he is!”

“Stop being such a baby and just admit YOU took my stuff!”

“I DIDN’T!” Danny yelled back and balled his hands up into little fists.

“Forget it, just go play with one of your real friends or something” Jake sighed as he turned and shut the cupboard door.

Danny’s nails dug crescent moons into the flesh of his palms, as he breathed hard out of his nose. “I wanted to hang out with you”

“Alfie’s coming over soon”

“We could all”-

“Me and Alfie are going to play football”

Danny pouted moodily at his brother, “But what about me?”

“I’m sure ‘Mikey’ will keep you company” Jake replied and walked past his brother, ignoring his behavior.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

Jake rolled his eyes when his brother stumbled through the dark and there was a thud followed by an “ow”. They’d temporarily ended up in the room with the double bed at their new house, as Nana and Alfie got their own rooms, it went without saying.

Jake reached over and flicked the table lamp on. “What the hell are you doing Dan?”

“Oh, you’re awake” Danny sat on the edge of the bed and rubbed his knee.

“I’m trying to sleep. Some people have work tomorrow… What will you do, go drinking with this Mike?” Jake turned the light off smirking.

“Yeah, might do” Danny replied, what was with Alfie and Jake tonight?

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Danny!” Jake groaned as he nudged his brother’s arm away and got up, smacking the alarm off.

“Mm! morning to you too beautiful” Danny groaned and rolled over, pulling the quilt further around him.

“Shut up” Jake rubbed his eyes and headed to the wardrobe. “I had to put up with you sleep talking and moving around all night”

“Oh yeah, say anything interesting?” Danny was slowly falling back to sleep.

“You asked quite frantically where the tea bags were” Jake smirked remembering how he’d laughed at that.

“Tea bags?” Danny furrowed his brows but didn’t open his eyes. “speaking of, and seeing as you’re up, make me a cuppa”

“I’ve got to get ready Dan, stop being lazy”

“I don’t have anything to do or anywhere to go” Danny mumbled beneath the covers.

“Exactly. Make your own” Jake closed the wardrobe doors, “I thought you said you might see that Mike?”

“Mike? Oh yeah” Danny rubbed his eyes, not seeing Jake smirk. “I don’t know if he’ll turn up though”

“Oh well if he’s busy” Jake shrugged, “you can do something useful for once like get a job, get some money in”

“Yeah, yeah” Danny remained in bed.

Jake rolled his eyes, “don’t get into any trouble alright, and don’t break anything”

“Hmm”

What, no retort? No argument? “See ya Danny” Jake called.

“Hmm” Danny curled up a bit more under the covers allowing sleep to take over again.

Rach33
25-02-2005, 23:06
Silly Jake an Imaginary friend although it does sound like Danny it's brill as always keep it comin

Cherryz
25-02-2005, 23:27
PART 5

Danny sat at the bar, trying to make the last of his beer last; it didn’t look like Mike was coming though. He didn’t know why he was so desperate to see him anyway. True, they had got on well, and had a lot to chat and laugh about. Maybe he did want to have his own friend, but he didn’t think he had anything to prove to his brother or cousin. Maybe he simply just liked this guy, who actually seemed to want to listen to him. If he’d been Mike he would have yelled and told the guy who spilt beer over him where to go. But for some reason this guy was actually…nice to him. For now, Danny thought. He sighed and swilled the beer around his glass as the different number of ways he could annoy this Mike and make him regret the day they bumped into each other.

The stool scraped loudly back as he stood up, and he pushed the glass away.

“Danny?” he almost leapt but turned and found himself face to face with the man he’d just been thinking about. “Remember”-

“Mike…yeah. I was just uh”-

“Are you leaving?”

“No. I mean, do you want a drink? I have money on me today” Danny smiled.

“Like I’d refuse a drink” Mike grinned and gestured to an empty booth, which Danny realized was the same as yesterday’s, “sit there again?”

“Sure” Danny paid for two beers, and thanked Leanne, before sitting opposite Mike. He glanced around and didn’t seem to know what to do with his hands.

“Are you alright mate, you’re fidgeting” Mike looked at him questioningly.

“Sorry” Danny folded his arms, “I just didn’t want you to think I was desperate to see you… I meant”-

“I wanted to see you again too” Mike offered with a smile.

Danny nodded. “Sorry, I’m not really good with this”-

“Yeah, you said yesterday”

Danny nodded again.

“… so what have you been up to?” Mike asked and sipped his beer.

“Nothing really. My brother wants me to find a job, but…” hmm, maybe he shouldn’t explain why he couldn’t get a job yet.

“What kind of work are you looking for?”

“Anywhere that will have me”

Mike smiled. “I could probably get you a job. My dad owns a few businesses, bars, that kind of stuff. I actually run my own photography studio and shop”

“You do photography?” Danny asked, mentally slapping himself.

Mike grinned, “Yeah. It’s not really that fancy, just weddings, family portraits that kind of stuff you know. Photographing people is my thing. I’ve got quite a portfolio, and hoping to build up some collections to possibly display some time… sorry if I’m boring you”

“You’re not, I mean, it sounds great if that’s what you like doing”

“Is it not your thing?”

“I don’t have a clue about photography” Danny admitted, “but I know good stuff when I see it”

Mike smiled at him again. “If you want I can ask my dad if he’s got anything going, I mean you’re my mate so it shouldn’t be a problem. Or even if you can stand the boredom and are that desperate, I could always do with some help in my shop”

Danny blinked.

“You’d basically just take in bookings for sessions, help set stuff up… and if you can handle a till, serve customers who want to buy - well, I don’t think that’s really what you’re looking for is it?”

“Well, it’s a job isn’t it?” Danny shrugged and drank some of his beer.

“Yeah… do you want it? It can be temporary if you want, until you find something better”-

Danny put down his glass. “Where is it and when do I start?”

Mike gave a lopsided smile as he picked up a beer mat and took a biro out of his pocket.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Have you been sitting around all day?” Jake tutted as he shrugged off his jacket. Danny was lying on the sofa watching TV when he’d come in.

“No actually, I did go out”

“To get a job?” Jake asked lamely.

“Yeah, and I got one” Danny stretched out before sitting up.

“You did?” Jake stopped. “It is legit isn’t it”-

“What do you take me for? Its all above board” Danny rolled his eyes and placed his feet on the coffee table.

“Really Danny? Because I don’t want”-

“Why can’t you trust me? I thought you’d be happy that I got a job and instead you’re whining even more!”

“Sorry, it’s just been a long day” Jake sighed and sat next to him, tapping his brother’s leg to take his feet off the table.

“Yeah must be tiring running all those laps for your new master” Danny muttered as he put his feet on the floor.

“Leave it out bruv” Jake groaned, “are you going to tell me what this new job of yours actually is?”

“It’s only temporary, it’s basically just doing this and that for someone” Danny replied.

“You said it wasn’t dodgy”-

“It isn’t! Did I say anything about it being dodgy? No – and like you can talk, you work for Johnny Allan!” Danny snapped back.

“Hey”-

“Heeey boys, not fighting over the remote are you?” Alfie called as he entered the house, shutting the door behind him.

“Nah. Danny was just telling me about this new job he’s got”

Alfie grabbed the doorframe and leant in. “Really?... Danny, its nothing dodgy is it, because”-

“There’s no living with you two!” Danny snapped as he got up and shouldered past Alfie to head upstairs to his bedroom.

Jake and Alfie looked guiltily at each other – Danny was obviously trying - but were both still suspicious about Danny’s job.

Cherryz
25-02-2005, 23:30
PART 6

“You want the grand tour?” Mike asked.

“I think it’s compulsory”

Mike laughed, “well, this is the shop floor” he gestured around them with his arms, “and there is the till” he pointed to it, “with your handy biros, appointment book and telephone nearby”

Danny nodded, “ooh, impressive”

“And upstairs is the studio. Come on I’ll show you” Mike led Danny up the stairs and they turned straight into the studio.

“Blimey mate, could you get a big enough space” Danny looked around and then walked up the wall where a number of photos were frames and hung on display. “Are these all yours?”

“Yeah. It helps give the customer ideas of what I do, and what they want”

“They’re really good”

“I know. I get told enough” Mike smirked. “Over there’s the ‘staff room’” he walked over to where sheets were hung up over a line like curtains and pulled them apart. “Just your very basic one I’m afraid”

“No it’s all good. I can’t thank you enough mate, for offering me the job. Considering you don’t know me that well, and I don’t have a clue about what you do”-

“You can handle telephones and people right?”

“Uh, yeah”

“Then you’ll be fine. And I’d like to think I’m not a bad boss”

“You’re a delight compared to some I’ve had” Danny muttered.

“Thanks. Let’s go teach you how to use the till”

“Okay”

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“How’s the new house?” Jake asked Johnny.

“You mean the one I can actually live in?” Johnny mocked, “It’s nice. Very nice. Good area. The wife likes it, and our son has moved nearby, so she’ll be happy for at least a few weeks”

Jake nodded. “Good. That’s good”

“Oh yes, you remember that your rent needs to be paid in two weeks yes?”

“Yeah, we’re on it. We’ll have the money, no problem”

“Alfie seems to be doing well on his stall”

“Yeah he loves it, though I don’t understand how anyone would want to stand outside in all kinds of weather for hours on end, and be that cheerful”

Johnny laughed.

Jake shifted in his chair, “Danny’s got a job as well”

“Really? Well I am surprised. How’d he manage that all by himself?”

Jake knew it was a light dig at how Danny relied on him. “I don’t know, but it’s only temporary”

“With a guy like Danny, all jobs must be temporary” Johnny commented.

Jake sighed and looked away.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Thankyou, see you soon, bye” Danny put down the phone and finished writing in the book, tapping the biro on the page when he was done. “How was that?”

“Handled greatly, you have quite some charm” Mike complimented.

“It’s hereditary”

Mike laughed. “I’ll have to meet your family sometime, they sound nice”

Danny shifted on the swivel chair, “yeah, when they’re not busy working, we could uh, probably all go out for a drink sometime” he said, secretly thinking about how easily his brother and cousin could tear his new mate apart. Or maybe he just wanted Mike to himself for a while longer.

“Yeah, that’d be cool” Mike said as he adjusted a photo frame. “What’s the time?” he asked but looked at the clock anyway, “blimey, afternoon already? Let’s do lunch”

“Huh?” Danny asked just as his stomach rumbled loudly.

“Grab your coat, pub lunch, my treat”

“Do you mean your treat, or its coming out of my wages?”

Mike laughed, “I’m paying. Come on, the pub’s just 10 minutes away”

“Handy”

“Indeed” Mike patted his shoulder.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“I’m knackered” Alfie groaned as he slid down on the armchair.

“You look it Alfie, fancy a drink?” Jake offered.

“oh a coffee would be fantastic” Alfie closed his eyes. They heard the front door open, “the working man returns!” he called.

Danny rolled his eyes as he hung up his coat and walked into the lounge.

“How did it go bro?” Jake asked, but it seemed like a silent ‘you didn’t mess up did you?’ to everyone.

“It was great. And I got paid in cash, for today” Danny smirked as he held up his wallet, and slipped it into his back jeans pocket.

Alfie and Jake exchanged looks. “Wow, good going Dan, this guy you’re working for must be a really nice guy” Jake offered.

“Of course, I’m working for Mike”

“Mike?” Jake asked.

“Don’t start that again” Danny settled on the sofa, curling up in the corner, “yes, Mike, the guy I met the other day”

“That Mike…really?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Danny asked.

“Nothing”

“I know what you’re thinking; you think he’s some kind of dodgy geezer, don’t you?”

“He just seems uh, generous for a”-

“He’s a photographer; he has a studio and a shop. It’s not exactly a place where dodgy people are going to hang around unless they wanna smile cheesily at some cameras taking evidence”

“A photographer? You’re working for a… what do you do exactly?” Alfie asked.

Danny looked at the TV screen as he slid down a bit, “well, just this and that. Move stuff, answer the phone, tidy, serve people… it’s just the same as some work I’ve done before really”

Alfie laughed, “Sorry it’s just, I didn’t imagine you to be doing that kind of work”

Danny glared, “well it’s just temporary! Do you want me to bring money in or not?”

“Dan, we aren’t making fun of you”-

“He is!” Danny glared at Alfie.

“I think it’s great, that you got some work. Just, don’t mess it up all right” Jake said.

“Oh how your faith fills me with confidence” Danny rolled his eyes.

“Hey Jake, are you going to make that coffee or what?” Alfie asked.

“Well done Danny, glad you had a good day Danny, would you like a coffee Danny?” Danny muttered to himself.

“Shut up Danny” Alfie cut in.

emma
26-02-2005, 11:44
Wow, i love the script! Well done :)

Cherryz
26-02-2005, 13:57
PART 7

“You don’t still think Mike is imaginary do you?” Alfie asked Jake with a slight smirk as they sat in the cafereria.

“I don’t think Danny is working where he says. I know he’s my brother but, I don’t know” Jake sighed.

“Why don’t you just ask where it is he works, and just happen to turn up sometime?” Alfie asked.

“You know Danny, he’ll go off on one about me not trusting him and checking up on him like a kid”

Alfie gave him a look.

“I’m just looking out for him”

“I think you should leave it. He’s actually been in a good mood, and he’s helping out money wise, just leave it Jake. This guy, Mike, or whoever he is, he seems alright, Danny seems to like him”

“But what about when it all goes wrong Alfie, who’s he going to turn to? Me, that’s who, I’m his older brother, I need to know things. You know what it’s like”

Alfie shook his head and exhaled deeply, “I think he’s doing alright this time though”

“…you do?” Jake asked. Usually it was him defending his brother, and Alfie throwing accusations around.

“Just think about how he’s been lately, and anyway think about what you’re doing, working for Johnny Allan. You don’t want to be a hypocrite Jake”

Jake swallowed and shifted in his chair. “Look, I’ve got to get back. Thanks for lunch Alfie”

“Yeah, see you later Jake” Alfie sighed.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

Danny had a hand flat on his stomach as he turned slightly in the swivel chair he was sat on and continued laughing.

“It wasn’t that funny” Mike said but couldn’t resist a lopsided smile.

“You didn’t see it from here mate, she went, flying!” Danny stated, remembering how the silence down on the shop floor had been interrupted by one of Mike’s clients falling down the stairs, with her handbag and two shopping bags tumbling after her.

“You could have started laughing after she left though. Professional conduct and all that”

“Do you have CCTV in here? You could get money for a clip like that”

Mike shook his head silently as he leaned over Danny to look at the appointment book. “Well, at least it happened after her photos were taken”

“Shame, she looked better after”

“Danny!” Mike punched Danny lightly on the arm but laughed. “Ok, it was a bit funny, but she could have been seriously hurt”

“Could have, but wasn’t” Danny smiled. “Sorry, I know I shouldn’t be laughing or saying that”

“You can’t help being honest, besides your charm overrides the rudeness and insult” Mike said, “you still could have helped me help me and pick up her stuff though”

“Sorry, I’ll take this as a learning experience then”

“About what?”

“When it’s appropriate to laugh” Danny answered and glanced at the clock. “It’s alright to take my lunch break now aint it?”

“Yeah sure, no-one’s coming in till half 2 anyway”

“Thanks, I’ll just phone my brother, see if he’s free to meet up”

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

Jake laughed slightly as Danny finished recalling what had happened at work. To Danny, the moment was classic, and bound to have him randomly laughing for at least a week.

“You seem to be enjoying working with Mike” Jake commented.

“Yeah. Yeah, I’m a bit surprised about it as well, I thought it would be more, well, boring” Danny admitted as he finished laughing and calmed down.

“I’m glad things are going well for you” Jake smiled and licked his lips as he shifted on his chair, “so Danny, where”-

“Alright boys? Having a private conversation or can I borrow Jake for a while to do some work” Johnny greeted as he walked into his club, Scarlet, and saw the two sat at the bar.

“We were just”-

“I’ve got to head back anyway, I’ll catch you later Jake” Danny announced and aimed a look at Johnny for interrupting, but left anyway.

“Yeah, later Danny” Jake called after him.

“What did he want?” Johnny asked.

“He was on his lunch break, and fancied a chat with his brother, that’s all” Jake replied.

“What exactly is he doing?”

“You mean his job?” Jake asked, and Johnny nodded, “He’s just doing helping out a mate who owns some kind of shop”

“This mate must be very naïve, or trusting, if they let Danny near a till”

“He’s not that bad Johnny, he seems to be doing alright for himself lately”

“If you say so Jake, come on, we got work to do” Johnny patted Jake’s shoulder and headed into the office.

Jake got up and followed, wondering how he could find out where Danny was going the past few days and if he was really was doing what he said he was.

Cherryz
26-02-2005, 14:01
PART 8

“How much caffeine have you had Danny?” Alfie asked his cousin who was rushing around grabbing his coat and his bag.

“None, I’m trying to be on time” Danny nicked the slice of toast out of Alfie’s hand, “catch ya later Alfie!”

“Danny!” Alfie yelled after him.

Jake walked into Danny as he rushed to the door, “hey slow down bruv”

“I’m going to be late”

Jake stepped out of his way, “want a lift?”

“No I’ll be fine” Danny was half in his jacket, flailing his spare arm to get it in. His brother helped him out.

“How about we meet later for lunch?”

“Sure, I’ll catch you in the café about 1” Danny flung the door open and left.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“You’re going to follow him?”

“Yes” Jake answered his cousin as he headed to Scarlet.

“You sure it’s a good idea?”

“I’ll be discrete, and there won’t be any harm” Jake adjusted his scarf.

“Are you sure about that?” Alfie asked, reaching his stall.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Don’t worry about it, I know how it is when there’s one bathroom, and there’s that big rush in the morning” Mike patted Jake on the shoulder, “besides, 5 minutes is hardly something for me to get mad about. If you had been half an hour late…”

“I know, sorry, I just can’t mess this up you know. I don’t want to let Jake down. Or you”

“Don’t worry, you’re doing fine” Mike smiled reassuringly, “I’m pretty sure you’ve attracted more customers as well with your looks and personality”

“Now you’re over-doing the compliments”

“I’m just saying” Mike shrugged. “Right, I’ll be upstairs if you need me” he tapped the counter before heading up the stairs.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“How’s work going”

“Fine. How’s working for Johnny?”

“Fine”

The two brothers were finishing their lunches in the cafeteria.

“Oh”

“What, no smart remark Danny? Have the chemical fumes got to your head?”

Danny rolled his eyes, “look you do what you do, and I do what I do, let’s just leave it at that eh”

Jake regarded his brother carefully, “so, you didn’t get into trouble for being late?”

“Huh? I was only late by 5 minutes, it wasn’t a big deal” Danny shrugged it off and glanced at his watch, “mind you, if I don’t get a move on now I’ll be late again”

“Alright, you still on for a drink tonight with me and Alfie?”

“Like I’d turn down a drinking opportunity” Danny smirked.

Jake watched his brother leave the café. He looked around and after a moment followed.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

Jake stood on the opposite side of the road as he watched his brother run across towards a photography shop and studio. He put his hands in his pockets and sighed. Well, it looked like his brother had been telling the truth, and he wasn’t up to no good. But, what if he’d twigged Jake was following him and this was just a cover up?

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“So Danny boy, what’s my afternoon schedule like?” Mike asked walked around behind the counter.

Danny turned in the swivel chair, and grabbed the desk edge to pull him-self closer towards it. “It’s” he flipped open the book and used the biro to scroll through, “not that busy, two bookings”

“Yeah?” Mike stood behind him and put a hand on the desk and leant over Danny’s shoulder.

“Yeah see. One at 2 – Mr and Mrs. Johansson with their two kids, I’m sure that’ll be delight, screeching kids when you want a quiet afternoon” Danny tapped the page with his biro.

“Quiet?” Mike snorted, “it’s hardly quiet with you around Danny”

“I just make things lively, gotta keep from getting bored you know” Danny smiled at him.

“Yeah yeah, so what’s this other booking?” Mike asked leaning down a bit more.

“At half 3, the newly weds Mr and Mrs. White, so not only do you get screeching brats this afternoon you get a loved up couple that will be all over each other”

“Great”

“Do you have any camcorders? Because they might get a little enthusiastic and forget you’re there”-

“Danny, how am I going to deal with them now, with that in my head?” Mike turned his head to face Danny.

“You’ll be behind the camera, I’m sure all those camera flashes will distract them from seeing anything dodgy” Danny leered.

“Danny” Mike laughed, “it’s a good thing you’ll be down here”

“What, you wouldn’t let your friend in on a free peep show?” Danny grinned and turned the swivel chair slightly towards him.

“Not in those circumstances”

“Meaning?” Danny poked him in the chest with the end of the biro.

Mike glanced up at the window when something caught his eye, and then stood up straight and moved away from Danny.

The person on the other side of the glass had seemed startled by the movement and walked away.

“What?” Danny looked up at Mike then glanced to the window where people were walking past.

“I thought someone was going to come in, but they left”

“Oh” Danny leant back in his chair.

“Well, I better go set up in the studio” Mike ran a hand through his dark hair and headed to the stairs.

“Okay, do you want a coffee or anything?”

“Yeah please, oh tea actually, just a bit of milk”-

“And two sugars, I know” Danny span in the chair before going about making them.

emma
26-02-2005, 15:09
Loving this script!

Rach33
26-02-2005, 17:55
Brilliant babes can't wait 4 da next bit I love Danny bless him

Cherryz
27-02-2005, 02:23
awww thankyou my darlings!

PART 9

“He wasn’t lying” Jake said, sitting next to Alfie on the sofa.

“I told you… so now you know, why are you still looking suspicious?”

“huh? I’m not it’s just you know, I’m relieved he’s doing fine… I’m just tired from work that’s all”

Alfie offered him a sympathetic ‘I hear that’ smile, when they heard the front door open and the sound of their Nana laughing.

“Oh Danny, you cheeky lad” she chuckled to herself, “the things you tell me”

“You don’t mind though do you Nana, you’re quite wild yourself, I bet you cause Anarchy down at those bingo halls dontcha?”

Nana continued laughing, “I do nothing of the sort”

“Sure Nana” Danny winked at her, “do you want a cuppa?”

“Ooh that would be lovely” she patted his arm and shuffled into the lounge, “ah, hello boys”

“Alright nana, you sit here luv” Alfie got up from the armchair and patted it, “make yourself comfortable”

“Thankyou dear” Nana carefully sat down in it.

Jake smiled at her and got up, leaving Alfie to entertain her as he walked into the kitchen, where Danny was watching the kettle boil. “Let me guess, you all want one now?” Danny gestured to the teacups.

“Nah, we’re good” Jake smiled at him, “I just uh, well I wanted to say that I’m glad you’re enjoying your job and you’ve changed…you’ve been helping out more, you’ve matured a bit. I’m, well I’m…”-

“Proud?” Danny smiled at him. “Don’t start crying or anything” he folded his arms as he positively buzzed inside from the praise.

Jake grinned back, “I won’t!”

“...All I did was get a job, its not like I’ve sailed around the world”

“I know, but, we’ve given you a bit of a hard time lately and I just thought you should know” Jake admitted.

“It’s alright… I was giving you a hard time as well, so… we’re good yeah?”

“Yeah” Jake patted his brother’s shoulder.

“Aww, come here you big softie!” Danny teased, pulling his brother into a brief hug, laughing as he pulled away.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

By the next Friday, it was pretty quiet at Mike’s shop and studio. He watched Danny stare at the phone and chew on his biro. Danny had settled in really well, and he enjoyed working with him, he liked his company. He made him laugh, and came up with ways to pass the time when it was quiet. He was helpful, and nice – he was always making drinks for them. He was confusingly confident but shy at times, but Mike had some idea of what changed Danny’s self-confidence.

“Hey Danny” Mike broke the silence and caused the other man to look at him. “there’s a cinema somewhere nearby isn’t there?”

“Yeah, why, planning a cheap date?”

Mike laughed, “Like I have time to find a date or meet new people. I just fancied seeing that new horror film, the one with the creepy kid”

“Oh, well, the cinema - its right in the middle of town, you can’t miss it, if you go”-

“I wondered if you wanted to go with me. I don’t want to be one of those sad people who go on their own”

“Me?” Danny asked. “…is anyone else going?”

“Like I said, I’ve hardly made many mates since coming here. They’re mainly people my dad knows, and they’re not exactly the social kind”

Danny thought about it. He had seen the trailers for the film too and was interested in it. He was going to ask Jake and Alfie if they wanted to see it, they all seemed wrapped up in their own jobs lately… “Sure why not”

“Really? You don’t think its some lame attempt of a guys night out do you? You’re not doing it out of sympathy?”

“Nah, I want to see the film too. My brother and cousin don’t really have the time to see it…I think they were gunna wait to rent it”

“We could always go somewhere else afterwards, if its not that great”-

“Mike, we’re on okay. Just tell me what time you want to meet and I’ll be there”

Mike smiled. “Thanks. So, how about tomorrow?”

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

Jake was lying on their shared bed reading a thriller story when Danny came in unzipping his jacket.

“Thank God it’s the weekend! I need a lie in. God I miss the bed in the mornings” Danny kicked off his shoes and flopped down on the bed, moaning at the comfort.

Jake smirked, “we know, you always say when you’re being a grouch at breakfast”

“A grouch?” Danny rolled over to lie on his back.

“You’re not a morning person Danny”

“Right” Danny sat up and pulled off his t-shirt that was over a long sleeved top, “got any plans for the weekend, a date with Johnny perhaps?”

“I have some work to do yes" Jake sighed "but we can go for a drink if you want”

“Well, I’m going out tomorrow night”

“Yeah?” Jake looked up from his book, “you didn’t tell me you had a date, who is she?”

“It’s not a date” Danny rolled his eyes, “I’m just hanging out with Mike”

“Mike” Jake put the book down on the bedside table.

“Why do you always do that? I’m going to have to start calling you a Parrot from now on and feed you crackers”

“Where will you be going?” Jake asked.

“We’re just gunna see that new film, the horror one, with the freaky girl and that guy from the gangster films in it…what’s his name…”

“I thought we were waiting till it came out on video?”

“Don’t worry, I won’t spoil it for you, I won’t give any hints to the plot, I swear” Danny tugged off his jeans and climbed under the quilt “Don’t keep the light on for too long eh?” he curled up under the duvet.

“Okay” Jake said, picking up the book again slowly.

Rach33
27-02-2005, 02:26
Feed Jake crackers love to see that brill as I expected babes

Rach33
27-02-2005, 02:40
Waiting bout 2 cry

Cherryz
27-02-2005, 02:41
i'm still tryna get over danny and alfie's use of the kitchen roll the other day!

PART 10

The next day, Danny found himself stood next to Mike in the busy cinema.

“So, popcorn… do you want sweet or salted?”

“Uhh, I don’t mind” Danny shrugged.

“Sweet?”

Danny nodded, “why don’t I get the popcorn and you get the tickets, saves time”

“You mean you want to eat a load before I can get to it”

“Yeah” Danny smirked.

“Alright alright, I’ll see you over there in a minute”

They went their separate ways, purchasing the said items and doing their individual tasks. Danny had just stuffed a handful of popcorn in his mouth when a tap on the shoulder caused him to jump.

Mike laughed as he put his arm around Danny’s shoulders, “Blimey, you get scared that easily? Don’t worry Danny boy, I’ll hold your hand if you get scared during the film”

“Yeah right, more like the other way around” Danny scoffed, “I was more worried about choking, or spilling this” he picked up the bag of popcorn.

“Heaven forbid” Mike mocked, “Are you going to be alright carrying that?”

“If you don’t make me jump, then yeah” Danny nudged him.

“Come on, it starts in 10 minutes, we might as well get some decent seats now”

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

They ended up sat quite far back near the aisle, sat next to each other, with the bag of popcorn resting on Mike’s lap. Danny stared at the screen with fascinated eyes as he watched the horrific drama unfold. That girl was sure as hell creepy. Slowly and cautiously he reached over and grabbed some popcorn, which crunched as he took it and slowly raised it to his mouth.

Mike turned his head to watch Danny absorbed in the film. He felt a smile tug at his lips – he hadn’t seen Danny sit still or be quiet for so long. He swallowed as he shifted in his chair slightly and continued to gaze at the slightly younger male. He’d been debating for some time but, it was now or never.

Danny had slowly reached another to grab more popcorn, subconsciously leaning towards Mike as he did so.

Mike took in a deep breath before darting forward slightly and pressing his lips to Danny’s cheek.

Danny let out a sound of surprise (Mike was unsure whether it was because of the kiss or the film, seeing as others jumped at that point). Due to Danny’s little reaction his arm had knocked the popcorn flying all over them.

“sorry I”-

“I’ll get some more!” Danny quickly blurted out, getting up and stumbling past Mike.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

He kissed me! He kissed me! HE kissed ME. KISSED. ME. These thoughts kept going through Danny’s mind as he burst into the males toilets. Mike had kissed him on the cheek, there was no mistaking that, it was no accident. Or maybe it was. yeah right.

He span around when someone came in – it was Mike. “Danny” he looked so embarrassed and guilty, “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have”-

“You kissed me!” Danny blurted out, grateful no-one else was in there.

“I, well, yes, but”-

“You kissed me - why? What did I do?”

“What?”

“What did I do to make you do that?”

“Danny… I like you”

“You like me?” Danny turned away and closed his eyes, running his hands through his hair, “you mean”-

“As in, like like, yes”

“But, no one likes me, not like that” Danny walked towards the edge of the sinks and leant against it. He looked up, “did you plan it? Did you arrange this whole thing just so you could make a move on me?”

“No!”

“Been planning it since the day that we met?”

“For Christ’s sake Danny!” Mike said in frustration.

“Well, what is this is this some kind of joke?”

Mike looked hurt, “why would I do it for a joke?”

“I thought we were mates!”

“We were, are… I think. If you want us to be” Mike blushed.

Danny looked away. “So you’re gay” he stated rather than asked.

“If I am, what does it matter anyway?”

“I’m not…” Danny began pacing again, “Why did you do it?”

“I’ve told you, I like you, we have fun together, we have a laugh right… I thought… well I got it wrong, I’m sorry. I understand if you hate me now”

Danny sighed and closed his eyes again.

“If you want to quit work as well, then”-

“I’m not quitting because you…” now Danny blushed as he trailed off.

“I’m surprised you haven’t hit me by now… I was expecting you to hit me back in there”

Danny groaned. “I don’t want to hit you, I’m not… mad enough to hit you” he admitted and thought to himself – why aren’t I mad enough? Usually he hit first, thought later.

“Well, I suppose that’s a good sign” Mike offered a nervous smile.

Danny bit his lip and continued looking away.

Mike licked his lips. “Do you want to go watch the rest of the film”-

“No, I can’t do that now” Danny snapped, "how can you ask me that after what you just did?"

“You want to forget this happened”

“I think I should go”

“I’m sorry Danny… I didn’t want to ruin things between us and now I have, and it’s going to be awkward… I’m so sorry”

Danny put his hands in his pockets, “…I’ll see you on Monday at work right?”

There was a long moment of silence. “Right” Mike replied sadly.

Danny looked at Mike and couldn’t help but blush again. “some time apart to think…and forget…I’ll see you Monday” Danny blushed and exited hastily past Mike.

Mike closed his eyes and tilted his head back as he sighed. He’d really blown it.

Rach33
27-02-2005, 02:42
Oh so Mike fancies Danny well I guessed that earlier I mean who could blame him I laughed out load at the kitchen roll how cute did they look

Cherryz
27-02-2005, 02:52
hehehe i know, i can imagine the look on jakes face if he walked in like omg, they have kitchen roll used like that

PART 11

Danny had gone for a drink, to try and calm down, but as he drank all he could think of was that there was some big neon pink sign above his head saying ‘A GUY KISSED ME’. He pushed away his second empty glass and headed home, with a mind full of confusion.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“How was it?”

“How was what?” Danny whirled around to see Jake standing behind him.

“The film, was it any good?”

“The film… Yeah, yeah you’ll like it” Danny nodded and edged past his brother.

“Are you alright?”

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?”

Jake shrugged and watched as his brother headed straight upstairs to their bedroom. He shook his head and walked back into the lounge where Alfie and Nana were watching TV.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

Danny sat on the edge of his bed with his hands over his face. He couldn’t believe that Mike liked him that way, and even worse, Mike had kissed him. Okay it was on the cheek so it wasn’t as bad as if it had been on the lips. And the kiss hadn’t given him some disease, he wasn’t struck by lightning, it didn’t make him drop dead on the spot – it was just a kiss. But from a GUY!

He groaned and flopped backwards onto the bed, putting an arm over his eyes. He wasn't homophobic, but he didn’t like guys, not that way. And he liked Mike, but not that way, didn't he? They got on, they had a laugh, they worked well together… why did Mike have to kiss him? Why did he have to make him think and question things? Now things would be awkward.

He couldn’t get over the look on Mike’s face though… if he felt bad, then Mike must have been feeling 100 times worse, he’d make a move and been knocked back in quite an abrupt way. He looked so embarrassed, ashamed and guilty.

Maybe I should have been more sensitive. Maybe I should’ve laughed it off. Maybe I should have just watched the rest of the film with him.

But what did I do to give him the impression that I’m into guys? Danny thought, and if Mike thought he was, did that mean others thought so too? Did he come off as camp? He shuddered. Or maybe he was just too charming for his own good.

This was so confusing!

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Dan what is with you?” Jake sighed and rolled over, “if you’re going to sleep can you just get into the bed instead of moving around, I’m trying to sleep”

Danny swallowed. This was no big deal, they were brothers, they’d shared a bed before. Jake was another guy and his brother – no sexual attraction what so ever, nothing dodgy here!

He awkwardly got into the bed and lay on his side rigidly, facing away from his brother and being as close to the edge of the bed as possible.

“Danny” Jake reached over and touched his brother’s shoulder.

“Hey!” Danny jumped and hit his brother’s hand away.

“I was just seeing if you were alright. God Danny, I’m not renting that film if it’s scared you that much, you’re acting weird”

“I’m not scared” Danny spat out, “and I’m not being weird, just leave me alone to sleep”

“Fine, be in a mood!” Jake rolled over to sleep, “You were bound to get like this sooner or later anyway”

“Meaning?”

“Just forget it Dan, go to sleep”

“No tell me!”

“You know what we think about your mood swings”

“I’m not in a mood!”

“Yeah, you’re not getting worked up at all are you?” Jake asked.

“Oh shut up”

Jake rolled his eyes, “Have you done something to annoy Mike?”

“What?” Danny snapped and sat up, “No, why? And why do you think its my fault if anything goes wrong, which hasn't by the way!”

“Calm down, I was just wondering”-

“Well things are fine, all right!”

“All right, jesus” Jake scoffed, “I’ll keep my mouth shut in future and leave you to be grumpy silently”

“Yeah, you do that” Danny turned over and lay down, covering himself to his chin with the blanket.

“Good night to you too” Jake muttered.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Are you sure Danny doesn’t have PMS?” Alfie nudged Jake. “he’s been in a foul mood all day”

“It’s just Danny being Danny” Jake replied.

“Can’t you have a word with him or something; he’s going to end up breaking something with the way he’s storming around”

“Just ignore him, he’ll be all smiles and laughs again soon, you know what he’s like”

“Well I can’t wait for him to go back to work tomorrow, seems he’s only happy when he’s actually working… maybe he’s on drugs” he added jokingly.

Jake gave Alfie a look, “maybe you’re right about work I mean, he’ll probably talk to Mike if something’s up”

“Well he better cheer up soon, because I can’t stand him when he’s like this”

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Dan, is there anything you want to talk about?”

Danny was lying on the bed and looked up at Jake standing in the doorway. “What? No”

“Are you sure?”

“I said no didn’t i?”

“Alright, no need to bite my head off” Jake snapped back.

Danny felt guilty. “I’m sorry… I don’t know why I’m being such a idiot lately”

“Maybe you’re just tired from working”

“Maybe”

“If you ever need to talk about anything you know you can come to me right”

“Jake you’re my brother, you’re the only who know I can trust and can turn to” Danny replied. Just not about this, he thought.

“…alright. We’re going to the pub in a bit, want to join us?”

“…Yeah, if Alfie don’t mind”

“Of course he won’t”

“Alright then. Hey Jake, sorry for being such a jerk lately”

“We all have our moments” Jake shrugged it off and left Danny on his own again. Danny sighed and closed his eyes, then opened them when he realised something.

whether the kiss had happened or not - he liked Mike.

Rach33
27-02-2005, 03:10
I smell trouble

Cherryz
27-02-2005, 03:23
oops, that was me!

Part 12

Danny entered the shop slowly and cautiously, nervously chewing his lip as he walked in. Mike wasn’t on the shop floor. He didn’t know whether this made him relieved or more nervous. He stood for a long moment just staring at the end of the stairs. He couldn’t run away.

He slowly made his way up the stairs and entered the studio. “Mike?” he called.

Mike was setting up equipment when he looked up, nearly dropping the camera he was holding when he saw Danny. “Danny” he said back.

They both remained still as an awkward silence dragged on. “I’ll just uh” Danny gestured towards the makeshift staffroom and hesitated before walking over to it. He pulled back the curtain and slipped inside, closing his eyes and mentally kicking himself. With a sigh he put down his bag and shrugged off his jacket. He could hear Mike slowly continuing setting up outside. He bit his lip and slipped back out the little area. “Need any help?”

Mike paused. “Uh, yeah”

“Well, I am paid to help you, so” Danny looked around before heading over to move some boxes out of the way.

Mike nodded and watched Danny silently. This was so awkward. They worked together in silence, shifting equipment and setting it up. Mike turned and knocked a pile of paperwork off the table onto the floor, “oh damn” he mumbled.

Danny immediately bent down and began picking up the pieces of paper.

“Just leave it Danny, I’ll sort it out”

“I’m just”-

“leave it!” Mike repeated.

Danny stopped and slowly stood up, his knees cracking as he did so, making him wince. “This is stupid” Danny stated. They stood there for a moment staring at the paper scattered on the floor. Danny swallowed then licked his lips, “we have to talk. The other night”- Danny started.

“I’m sorry about that, it won’t happen again. I know you don’t really want to talk about it or maybe you do, you’re probably still mad”-

“I’m not mad at you” Danny cut in. “I’m not mad about what happened either, it was just a kiss…”

“Yeah… that’s all it can be. I know, we’re just friends and work together, I got it”

Danny sighed. “I’m sorry about how I reacted. I, I was just, Well I’m confused”

“I understand… I didn’t mean to cause you any grief”

“I know” Danny folded his arms and leant against the table, “I’m confused because, well I like you… I’m not homophobic or anything, I just, well I’ve never…”

“You don’t need to explain Danny; let’s just forget it ever happened”

“… No” Danny said after some silence.

“No?” Mike looked confused.

“… No. I can’t just forget it. It’s been driving me mad ever since”

“Danny”-

“I’m not saying that I like guys … but I like you… and…”

“…What?” Mike asked stepping closer.

Danny stood up nervously and he looked down embarrassed. Danny swallowed. He exhaled shakily before going towards Mike and practically threw himself at the slightly taller male, kissing him on the cheek.

They both blushed and looked at the ground when Danny stepped away.

“Well…you didn’t throw popcorn all over us this time” Mike said.

Danny was looking everywhere but at him, “I just…I’m sorry”

“It was just a kiss” Mike replied.

“… sort of”

“Sort of?”

“Well, it wasn’t a proper kiss was it” Danny looked up then away again, “God what am I saying? I’m sorry, first I react like I don’t want to be near you, and now I just threw myself at you like some kind of”-

Mike put his hands on Danny’s shoulders and pulled him forward, pressing their lips together quickly. He pulled back to see Danny looking at him like a deer caught in the headlights. “Was that a proper one?”

Danny opened and shut his mouth a few times, “uh, yeah”

“Did you mind?”

“Huh?”

Mike still had his hands on him. “Danny, do you like me?”

“…Yeah”

“Did you like me kissing you?”

Danny thought about it and almost felt betrayed when he admitted “I think so…yeah”

Mike smiled at him, “You know I like you… Danny if you don’t want to do anything just say, if you do want to do something then tell me. I won’t make you do anything you don’t want to… I know you’re still confused. And, like you said, you’ve never done anything with a guy before… you have to tell me what you’re thinking and what you want”

“I…I don’t know” Danny looked down, “I like you. I like hanging out with you…that’s what people who like each other do isn’t it? I’m just so confused, I haven’t spoken to anyone about it, I mean, if my family knew…” he closed his eyes.

“You don’t have to tell anyone anything if you don’t want to” Mike said. “I won’t tell anyone anything unless you want me to”

“I don’t want anyone to know… I can’t do this right now, I can’t be here” Danny shook his head as he edged backwards, stumbling over a box. “I’m sorry”

“Danny wait, let’s talk”-

Danny didn’t wait though, he did what he always did when he panicked – he ran.

Rach33
27-02-2005, 03:25
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww my poor baby

Cherryz
27-02-2005, 04:27
“Danny you’re going to be late for work” Jake had snapped the next morning – but really he was concerned about his brother’s behavior the past few days.

“I don’t feel well” was his brother’s lame reply.

“You’re not a school kid Danny, and you’re perfectly fine”

“But Jake”-

“Danny!” Jake snapped warningly. “What’s wrong with you? You’ve been acting weird for days”

Danny swallowed and looked away.

“Come on Dan. don’t mess up now when you’ve been doing so well. Get your stuff and go to work, I’ll take you there myself if I have to”-

Danny snapped, “Fine, I’m going alright” and left the kitchen, leaving a bewildered Jake.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Hey” Mike said when Danny arrived. “… have you come to say you’re quitting?”

“No” Danny replied

“…Are you alright?”

“Yeah. You?”

“you’re not fine Danny. I suppose you’ve changed your mind since yesterday?”

“About what?”

Mike gave him a look. “You said you liked me… but you’ve probably changed your mind now”-

Danny looked away, “I haven’t”

“…so you still like me as a friend”

“I don’t know. I don’t know what we are. Because, I like you and we’ve kissed and I didn’t not like it… I wanted to do it, and I do like you…as in like like you”

There was silence before Mike said “…is it alright if I ask you out tonight?”

“What?” Danny’s gaze snapped to him, “you mean like a”-

“Not a date as such. Just hang out, go for a drink”

Danny swallowed. That was no big deal, they’d gone out for a drink together before loads of times “…is that all?”

“if that’s all you want”

“well…we could see how it goes”

“Really?”

“Yeah” Danny nodded.

“You can change your mind”-

“We’ve hung out together before, been for drinks before… its just the same right?”

“Right, no drastic changes”

“Right, we’ll just happen to probably do stuff that friends might not normally do together”

Mike smiled. “Look, if you freak out and you run off again I’ll understand”

“I’m sorry about that”

“No need to apologize Dan, I remember what it was like when I first started experimenting with guys” Mike sat down on a chair, “…How were you when you went home? Did you talk to your brother or anyone?”

“No” Danny answered quickly. “I just carried on as normal”

Mike nodded, “look, we better start actually doing some work” he glanced at the clock, “but we can talk more later and, I’m looking forward to tonight” he smiled.

“…Me too” Danny admitted as smiled shyly, turning and heading back downstairs to his desk.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Has someone got a hot date?” Alfie teased, poking Danny.

“What?!” Danny squirmed and leapt back.

“Someone’s dressed up, and looking nervous, no wonder you’re suddenly happy again” Alfie smirked.

“I’m not dressed up!” Jake snapped.

“Alright, you have a point, but you only wear that jacket when you want to impress”

“How would you know? And shut up, I’ve not got a date” Danny mumbled.

“You’re losing your touch Danny, you’re a Moon, you’re supposed to be hitting them off with a stick” Alfie continued.

“I’m just going out for a drink”

“You mean you’re on the pull”

“Why don’t you worry about your own love life, or lack of, old man. Excuse me” Danny edged past him and left.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“You don’t need to be so nervous Danny” Mike smiled. He was on his second drink already and Mike had only had half of his first one.

“I’m not” he replied, tapping his glass. “Okay maybe a bit”

“There’s no need to be”

“I know”

“… we could go somewhere else, with less people, would that help?”

Danny thought about it, “maybe, if you don’t mind”-

“I wouldn’t suggest it if I did. I don’t want to sound cliché or anything but, we could go back to mine for coffee, and I mean coffee”

“Yeah, I’d rather we do that”

“Alright then” Mike smiled and passed Danny his jacket.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Well, someone took a happy pill today” Alfie commented.

“I told you Danny would go back to being like this didn’t I?” Jake said. When his brother had got back he was a bit quiet again, but he was in a good mood – he even made them all a cup of tea and it was a sharp contrast to that morning, but at least he seemed better.

“I guess working with this Mike guy is having an effect on your brother, calming him down”

“Hmm, must be the responsibility and not being around me 24/7 that’s changed him”

“So what do you make of his attitude this weekend then?”

“Danny’s always switching moods like that, I don’t think it was really anything. He’d tell me if something was wrong, or important stuff”

“Yeah”
(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

They walked down the alley together laughing at what Mike had said, things had relaxed a bit more now and less awkward. Mike sighed as he calmed down and then casually slung an arm around Danny.

Danny froze momentarily out of habit, which caused Mike to stop.

“Sorry” Mike mumbled embarrassed and began to move his arm.

“No, it’s just me being weird” Danny said turning to be in front of Mike, whose arm had fallen so his hand rested on Danny’s side.

“It’s alright, you want to take things slow” Mike nodded in understanding.

Danny bit his lip. Maybe Alfie had a point about losing the charm – he was a moon, it didn’t matter how nervous or inexperienced he was, he should probably make Mike interested in him. And plus the alcohol might have had the tiniest of affects. Danny looked around then quickly got close and gave Mike a quick kiss.

“Mm” Mike pulled back, “or maybe you don’t” he smiled.

“I want to do more of that when we get back to yours” Danny grinned.

Mike leaned down and kissed him again glad he wasn’t freaking out again. They smiled and walked side by side towards Mike’s flat. They crossed the road and as they did they both saw a familiar car pull up nearby.

“Oh god” Danny muttered to himself, feeling like running again.

The car door opened and Johnny Allan stepped out. He turned as he slammed the door shut, “Danny?” he glanced to Mike, “Michael” he smiled.

“Uh, hi dad” Michael replied, smiling back politely.

Danny did a double take. Johnny Allan was Mike’s dad?

Rach33
27-02-2005, 04:31
AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh my god weeing my self as we speak oh my god did he see oh my god oh my god

Rach33
27-02-2005, 04:47
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee pretty please

Cherryz
27-02-2005, 04:49
“I didn’t know you know each other” Johnny glanced towards Danny who was looking like a deer caught in the headlights again.

“Likewise” Mike commented giving his own look to his father, “he’s the one I’ve taken on in the shop”

“Oh really?” Johnny raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah. He’s a pleasure to have around” Michael smiled.

Danny was trying to look everywhere but at Johnny.

“If you say so” Johnny said slowly.

“Yes, I do” Mike stated, “and may I ask how you two know each other?”

Before Danny could answer Johnny said, “I employ his brother at my new club, Scarlet”

“Well, it is a small world” Mike commented.

“It is indeed” Johnny smiled.

“What did you come to see me about dad?”

“To talk business, as well as see my son” Johnny replied, “but if you’re busy?”

“We”-

“I was heading back to mine anyway” Danny suddenly found his voice and Mike turned to face him. “thanks, for the drink and everything Mike, so uh, I’ll see you tomorrow at work yeah?” he hoped Mike could see in his eyes the desperate plea to get away from Johnny, even though he didn’t want to, he wanted to be with Mike, alone.

“…Yes, tomorrow, right” Mike nodded feeling disappointed. Damn his father’s timing, and just when Danny was getting more relaxed and confident as well. “Uh, I could give you a lift”-

“No you two do what you got to do, Jake will probably be expecting me anyway… see ya” Danny quickly walked away, glancing back over his shoulder and mouthing sorry to Mike.

Mike watched after him then turned to face his father.

“Drinking together after work, I didn’t know you were that friendly”

“I wouldn’t work with him if I didn’t like him would I?”

Johnny smiled slowly, “are we going into yours, or are we going to stand out here in the cold all night?”

Mike sighed and led the way.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

Danny stood in front of front door, resting a hand against it. He couldn’t believe it – the one guy he could possibly start something with, and it had to be Johnny Allan’s son! He mentally kicked himself repeatedly. How the hell could someone so nice and handsome have been the child of him? He shuddered.

This changed everything. If Johnny found out he was kissing his son, he would kill him – the look on his face when he saw them walking together was enough to indicate Johnny was going to start asking questions and sticking his oar in.

Great, just flaming great. He managed to unlock the front door and allow himself in.

“Danny, is that you dear?” Nana called out from the lounge.

Danny sighed as he ran a hand through his hair, “yeah” he called out.

“Oh, Alfie and Jake are at that new club, what is it again…crimson?”

“Scarlet”

“Yes scarlet darling, I told them I’d tell you when you got in so you could join them”

Scarlet was the last place he wanted to be right now, and he couldn’t face Alfie or Jake. Jake would take one look at him and know something was up. “I’ve had enough drink for one night Nana… I’ll keep you company”

“Oh you don’t want to stay in with an old dear like me” Nana said, looking back at the old black and white film she had rented.

“Don’t be silly Nana” Danny called back, “you stay there, I’ll stick the kettle on”

“What a nice boy you are Daniel” Nana smiled.

Danny walked into the kitchen and closed the door behind him, closing his eyes as he leant against it. Life sucked, it royally sucked. Typical, everytime something starts to go right, something comes along to ruin it if he didn’t ruin it himself.

He could have been at Mike’s place, chatting over coffee, chilling on the sofa, kissing like boyfriend and uh… boyfriends do. Instead he had come running scared back home, and it looked like he’d be watching some old film with Nana until she fell asleep.

Just, great.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

For the past 15 minutes, Mike had been silently annoyed, while his father kept insisting on finding out how he and Danny had met etc.

“Son, Danny isn’t reliable”

“He is. He’s a hard worker, and I trust him” Mike looked up from some documents his father was showing him.

“Did you even bother to check his employment history before you took him on?”

Mike shifted uneasily, “why are you so interested anyway, how do you know what he’s like?”

“He’s worked for me before Michael”

Mike stopped and looked up – he knew exactly what kind of work his father and his friends did. “How come you never mentioned him before then?”

“He’s never been worth mentioning”

Mike looked back down, “Well, what he’s done in the past is none of my business. And I’ve had no problems with him”

“For now”

Mike looked up, “what’s that supposed to mean?”

Johnny gave his son a look. “…You think he’s reliable and all that now, but just you wait son, and take my word for it – he will mess up. He always does and drags everyone else down with him. I don’t want you to suffer because of his foolishness”

“Well, if he does then that’s MY problem to deal with, isn’t it?” Mike said back snappily.

Rach33
27-02-2005, 04:55
touche darling that's brill poor Danny oh Johnny is so mean turning up like that

emma
27-02-2005, 12:28
Wow! I love this script! Continue! :)

Cherryz
27-02-2005, 21:34
thankyou my dears. here's some more.

PART 15

Jake frowned and rolled over to lie on his back, “Danny, what’s wrong?” It was nearly 2 in the morning and Danny was still fidgeting about, no where near sleep.

“Nothing” was Danny’s response.

“You’ve been weird again since you’ve got home… are you sure you don’t want to tell me anything? You’ve been all over the place for days”

“I’m fine”

“No you’re not… have you gotten yourself into some kind of trouble?”

“No” Danny snapped. He sighed as he rolled over to face his brother. “It’s just…”

“What?” Jake pressed, sitting up slightly.

“I found out that, that Mike is Johnny’s son” Danny admitted, guessing he could at least tell his brother half the truth, seeing as Johnny would probably say something to Jake.

Jake blinked at him. “You’re working for Johnny Allan’s son?”

“That’s what I just said” Danny rolled his eyes, “I had no idea until Johnny turned up when Mike and I were, uh, coming back from the pub, and they started talking and that’s how I know”

Jake lay back down. “Blimey… It won’t affect your things though will it.You’re working for Mike after all, not Johnny”-

“Yeah but we all know what Johnny thinks of me. What if he tells Mike stuff? There goes my job and, mate” Danny swallowed.

“… Mike won’t listen to his dad though”

“How do you know?”

“Well what makes you think he will?”

“Because you know what Johnny’s like!”

“And Mike knows what you’re like” Jake pointed out.

“So what are you saying?”

Jake sighed, “I’m saying… go to work, and see how it goes”

“Some help you are”

“Well what can I do Danny? I can’t tell them what to think or do can I?”

Danny swallowed, “do you think it’ll be alright?”

“…Yeah. Yeah of course. You’re getting worked up over nothing”

“You think so?”

“Yeah… you said it was nothing in the first place anyway...Come on, we need to get some sleep Danny”

“…okay….Yeah, you’re probably right anyway…worked up over nothing…’night” Danny rolled over and stared at the other side of the room.

“Good night” Jake replied, wondering about what Johnny would have to say about it the next day.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“I’m not sure I can do this anymore” Danny whined, “this changes everything – do you have any idea how much your dad dislikes me?” he paced around Mike’s studio the next morning.

“Who cares about what he thinks”-

“I do!”

“Danny, I’ve never paid attention to what my dad’s said to me my whole life – do you think I’d be a photographer if I had listened to him?”

“But if he found out”-

“He wouldn’t”-

“He could! Johnny has a way of finding out things… What if he randomly turns up like he did last night, and caught us doing stuff, he’d kill me!”

“He wouldn’t, its not like he can blame you for”-

“He could and he would” Danny paced, “you have no idea”

“Danny, I know exactly what my father does, and I know that you’ve worked for him in the past” Mike said.

Danny turned around and stared at him, “I only did it because”-

“I know your brother still works for him. And to be honest Danny, I don’t care what you did for him because that’s in the past. You’re working for me now, and I know you’re hardworking and a sweet guy. I like you because you’re you Danny, not because of your employment” Mike laughed.

Danny swallowed and shook his head, “but if your Dad knows, then he’ll tell my family, and I don’t know what I’d do, I don’t know how I’d be able to look Jake in the eye again”

“Danny just take a moment to calm down”

“Calm down?”

“Yes. It’s not like he knows we LIKE each other or that we’ve started… well, we’ve kissed. He knows you work for me and we go out sometimes for a drink and stuff. That’s all”

Danny shook his head, “I can’t even handle that, let alone if he knew…I just cant do it!”

“But Danny”-

“Shut up!”

“Calm down!”

“Don’t tell me to calm down!” Danny yelled throwing everything off the desk with one big sweep of his arm. He placed his hands on the desk top and panted, looking down, as silence filled the room. “God, I’m sorry” Danny put his elbows on the desk and put his hands over his face, “I’m sorry, I’m just so confused…I didn’t mean to”-

“Hey forget about the mess, I’m worried about you” Mike stepped over the stuff on the floor and stood besides Danny. “I understand how scared you are” he put his hand on Danny’s shoulder.

“No you don’t!” Danny sniffed as tears fell.

Mike swallowed, and put his other hand on Danny’s other shoulder so he gently rubbing them both, “I do Danny… I hate seeing you like this” he frowned, inwardly blaming himself for Danny’s whole turmoil, “I still feel the same about you”

Danny bit his lip. “… I..I do too” he said quietly.

“Then please, don’t let who my dad is ruin things between us”

Danny stood up and Mike backed up a little, thinking he didn’t want him anywhere near him. Danny turned around and placed his hands on Mike’s chest, clutching to the other man’s top as he leant into his shoulder and began openly crying. Mike frowned and cautiously put his arms around Danny as he cried.

“I don’t know what to do anymore… but I know I like you, that way, which I’ve never…” Danny mumbled against Mike’s shoulder.

“I can’t tell you how to feel Danny, or tell you what to do and stuff, you have to decide what’s best for you” Mike rubbed Danny’s back lightly.

“…I’m not sure” Danny pulled away enough to be able to look at Mike.

“ssh, its alright” Mike pressed a kiss to his forehead.

Danny swallowed and moved his arms, so he could place his hands on Mike’s face and direct his lips to his own.

Mike pulled back, “Danny, we shouldn’t, not when you’re”-

“Shut up, and stuff Johnny... I’m sure about doing this” Danny whispered and kissed him again, as if it would take all the hurt, the confusion, the doubts and the tears away.

easties_chic
28-02-2005, 00:46
Just caught up with the whole thing and it's fab - you've got the characters spot on! How cute is Danny?! :D

emma
28-02-2005, 19:14
Awwwwwwwr so sweet! The characters are great! :)

Cherryz
01-03-2005, 00:39
“Your brother is working for my son”

“I know” Jake said, not looking up from his paper.

Johnny stared at him. “You knew?”

“I only found out last night” Jake said and looked up at Johnny. “Really, Danny only told me last night”

“Oh, I see” Johnny clasped his hands together and smiling slightly.

“Look Johnny, Danny’s worried about how you’re taking the news about him working for your son. He’s really enjoying working with him, and as far as I can tell he’s been working hard, and he’s changed, please don’t”-

“Hey, my son’s business is his business. If he chooses to have Danny work for him, then that’s his decision. It’s nothing to do with me” Johnny replied.

Jake regarded Johnny carefully. “Really?”

“Yes” Johnny leant back in his chair, “but” Jake frowned at this, “if he messes up big time, and it affects my son… then I can’t just sit back and accept that, can I?”

Jake swallowed and looked back at the paper. “He won’t Johnny”

“Don’t go making promises Jake, not one’s that we know can’t be kept”

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Are you okay now?” Mike asked quietly, brushing his thumb over Danny’s cheek.

Danny sighed and exhaled slowly, “yeah. I think so. Yeah”

Mike offered a small smile. “Good, I was worried back there for a while”

“I’m sorry”-

“Stop apologizing” Mike gave him another short sweet kiss.

“Sorry, force of habit” Danny gave a nervous lopsided smile back.

Mike sighed softly as he stroked Danny’s face then put his hands on his shoulders, “what do you want to do?”

“Huh? When?”

Mike laughed, “whenever... whatever…”

Danny sighed. “Could we… could we go to yours sometime? Alone, so we can talk and whatever. Maybe do what we were going to do the other night before the interruption that caused me to freak out”

“I’m sorry about that, I didn’t know he’d turn up, usually he phones”-

“I could see you weren’t expecting it either… but maybe this time, because it’ll be planned…”

“Yeah. I could even make us dinner, sort out a film and stuff…if you want”

“… It’d be… different… You won’t give me flowers and ask me if I’ve done something to my hair because it looks nice, will you?”

Mike laughed, “No, I promise. You bring yourself, and some alcohol, and all will be good, I promise. We’ll enjoy it. It’s no different from any other date hmm”

“That makes sense” Danny smiled.

“Finally something does” Mike leant down and kissed him again before stepping back and looking at the mess on the floor, “Come on; let’s get this mess cleared up, hmm?”

Torrie
01-03-2005, 01:10
Ooh, just read the whole thing in one go - hope Johnny doesn't find out, he'll go mental! I love Danny and his mood swings though! :)

Rach33
01-03-2005, 16:14
Oh my lord what will Johnny please don't let him hurt Danny how mean it's fabaroonie as usual keep it up

Tamzi
02-03-2005, 15:29
When are you going to be writing more

Cherryz
02-03-2005, 18:17
heya dears! thanks for the replies, heres more!

“He’s Johnny Allan’s son?” Alfie nearly dropped the box of ornaments.

“Yeah” Jake rubbed his eyes, “Johnny basically said who his son works with and is friends with is up to him. But if Danny messes up…”

“I see” Alfie put the box down and leant against the stall. “You’re going to talk to Danny aren’t you?”

“I have to Alfie” Jake stared across the square, “you know he could find another job”-

“Hey come on now Jake, we know it isn’t as simple as that” Alfie spoke up, “you know he loves his job, he’s been quite happy since he started there. If you start having a go, he’ll go off on one, and think you’re trying to ruin things”-

“Before he does” Jake sighed.

“That’s not fair now is it” Alfie replied. “Everything was fine until you found out about who Mike’s father is”

“Yeah but”-

“Hi Alfie” they both turned to see Zoe standing by nervously. “Sorry, am I interrupting?”

Jake exhaled and looked at Alfie, “I’ll see you later”

“Yeah, bye Jake” Alfie waved him off and turned around. “Alright Zoe?” he asked, putting an arm around the girl who was technically his stepdaughter.

She offered a nervous smile, “I’m fine Alfie. I just thought you should know, about Kat”

Alfie tensed as he pulled away from her. “Is she alright?”

“Yeah yeah, nothing’s wrong” Zoe quickly assured, “But, she’s coming back to Walford soon. This week.”

“Oh” Alfie sighed and closed his eyes briefly. “Well, of course she was bound to come back soon, Walford’s where she belongs, it’s her home” he opened his eyes again “you’ll get your mum back, so that’s great” he plastered on a smile for her.

“Yeah, but you belong here too… are you alright, really?” Zoe asked, knowing he was acting like everything was fine when it wasn’t “Because really, you should be getting your wife back” Zoe said.

Alfie sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “I’m fine darling… I knew she’d come back I just wasn’t expecting it to be this soon”

“You could call her” Zoe suggested, “I have her number back home”-

“I don’t know Zoe… not now” Alfie replied.

“Well….you’re going have to face each other and talk sometime Alfie” Zoe told him, which he already knew was true.

“I know Zoe. Look I’ve got to pack up, if…if Kat phones again tell her…”

“I’ll tell her you say hi” Zoe smiled at him sympathetically.

Alfie nodded, “Yeah. Thanks darling” he smiled back and gave her a brief hug.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Danny” Jake called as he went upstairs. He opened their bedroom door and walked in to find his brother shrugging on a different jacket. “You’re going out?”

Danny faced away from his brother as he did it up, “Yeah. You don’t mind me taking that wine you bought the other day do you?” he reached for his keys.

“… No, you can have it. I take it you’re out on a date”

Danny dropped the keys onto the floor, “uh, yeah” he bent down and picked them up.

“Can I expect you back any time tonight? Wait, knowing you you’ll probably be at hers all night”

“No! I think I’ll come back here” Danny turned and saw the look his brother gave him. “she uh, is a nurse, works odd hours… those uniforms huh, what kind of guy could resist them?”

“Alright. Look Danny, we need to talk sometime”

“About what? I haven’t done anything” Danny snapped.

“I didn’t say you have” Jake looked at him suspiciously, “I just wanted to see how you were handling the situation… you know what I’m talking about”

Danny blinked.

“Don’t act stupid, I’m talking about Mike and Johnny”

Danny swallowed, “It’s no big deal is it, Mike’s still the same person, he’s not like his dad… besides, it doesn’t bother any of us really does it?”

“… not really” Jake said slowly.

“Well then” Danny said and walked past him, “there’s nothing to worry about, I’m sure we can all live together in harmony and all that jazz”

“Right” Jake replied as Danny left the room.

Torrie
02-03-2005, 21:30
Aww, I hope Danny's right that everything will be ok! Loved Alfie's interaction with Zoe too - he's so sweet to her! :)

Cherryz
02-03-2005, 22:47
cheers me dears!!! heres a big part for ya

Danny shivered as he stood nervously outside of Mike’s front door. He thought he was going to throw up from the feelings swarming around his mind and body. When the door opened he bit his lip.

Mike stood there with the light behind him pouring out, “Danny”

“I come bearing gifts” Danny held up the wine and smiled back.

“Oh great! Thank you” Mike took it off him and read the label, “wow this is good stuff, and it’ll go great with dinner. Come on in” he stepped aside.

Danny cleared his throat and walked in. Mike reached around him and closed the door before aiming a kiss on Danny. “Take off your coat, make yourself at home”

Danny looked around the lounge. It was painted blue, and the three seated sofa matched. There was a bookcase, a TV set, a coffee table – mike had cleaned up. “Where should I put my jacket?”

“Oh uh, anywhere really”

Danny glanced around before draping it over the arm of the sofa.

Mike smiled at him. “I’ve nearly finished dinner. I wasn’t sure what you’d like but thought hey, can’t go wrong with pasta and sauce right?” he headed towards the kitchen and dining room, taking the wine with him.

“You didn’t have to go to any trouble” Danny replied.

“For you Danny, it’s not trouble” Mike smoothly replied, “I just thought it’d be nice”

“Oh, it is! Sorry, I’m just nervous, and not used to this kind of thing… You’d be lucky if I don’t set fire to cheese on toast. Even microwave meals seem to be a challenge”

Mike laughed, “Where you lack in cooking skills, you make up for in other areas”

Danny blushed, “I just don’t want you to be disappointed when the only meal I can offer you is a take away, less risk of poisoning us both then”

“Dan, you’re so sweet” Mike chuckled as he helped shrug off Danny’s worries.

“Is there anything I can do?”

“Oh right, yes, can’t have you standing around” Mike gestured to the sauce, “stir that for me please”

“Okay. I guess nothing can go wrong if I’m just stirring it”
“We hope so” Mike smirked, knocking on the wooden chopping board.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Where’s Danny?” Nana had asked the two men sat on the sofa.

“He’s out on a date Nana, he’ll be back late – we warned him to be quiet when he gets back and not to wake you” Alfie replied.

“Oh” Nana reached for her handbag, “and why don’t you boys have any dates hmm?”

Alfie grinned, “We already have the perfect woman here Nana”

Nana laughed, “Not for long you don’t anyway – I’m off out to bingo”

“Now?” Alfie asked.

There was the bleep of a carhorn sounded from outside. “Yes – that’s Gloria right now. You boys have fun” she called as she zipped up her coat and left.

“Bye” Alfie and Jake called after her.

“Alfie, there’s something wrong mate when our Nana has a better social life than us” Jake commented, “why is it Danny always gets the girls?”

“Well he can have my share, I’m not up for dating” Alfie sighed.

Jake glanced over at him, “what’s up Alfie? You’ve looked like your mind is in another place ever since you got back from work”

Alfie rubbed his eyes and ran a hand through his hair. “Zoe told me that Kat’s coming back, this week”

“You mean Kat...”

“My estranged wife, yeah” Alfie sighed and leant back on the sofa, staring up at the ceiling. “It feels weird… a couple of months ago we were so happy, you know, like we could take on the world, and now…” he closed his eyes.

“…You miss her” Jake stated.

“Like crazy, yeah” Alfie replied sadly. “Sometimes I can handle that she left and I think I’m fine without her. Then other times I’m kicking myself that I let her go, that I didn’t fight for her hard enough… there’s no one like her Jake. I can’t love anyone else like I loved… like I love Kat”

“Wow…that’s deep” Jake commented.

“Yeah”

“What are you going to do, when she gets back?”

“I don’t know mate… I just don’t know”

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“I’m really sorry” Danny muttered again.

Mike laughed, “stop apologizing. Really, don’t worry about it; you won’t believe how many times I’ve spilt wine over the carpet”

“Yeah but this is your new house, and it’s our first… I didn’t want to mess anything up”

“Come here” Mike gently pulled Danny down onto the sofa next to him and turned his face towards his, kissing him slowly.

Danny sighed when they parted and smiled lazily back at him.

“I don’t know about you, but I’m really enjoying this evening together” Mike said.

“Me too. You went to all this trouble, and it was great… I hope you think it was worth it, all that, all this niceness, for someone like me”

“Why have you got to put yourself down all the time Danny?” Mike put his hand on Danny’s face and rubbed his thumb over his cheekbone.

Danny glanced down. “I just… I worry... I mess everything up, I always have done. Things start to go fine and then…”

“What?”

“…I do something, or say something stupid and everything falls apart. It’s like taking one step forward and two steps back, with me. I try you know, I try hard to make things right but it always seems to make it worse-… I’m sorry, I’m killing the mood aren’t I?”

“No, no Danny not at all… I’m here for you whenever you want to talk about anything, and I mean anything”

Danny sighed, “I don’t want to disappoint you” he admitted quietly.

“Oh Danny” Mike whispered, “I wish you could see what I see. That you’re intelligent” he kissed Danny, “funny” he kissed him again, “sweet”, he kissed him on the mouth.

Danny kissed him back before Mike pulled away slightly. “Okay, if you say so” Danny sighed. “…let’s talk about something else”

“… do you want more wine?” Mike asked.

Danny laughed, “Mike, are you trying to get me drunk?”

“Maybe, is it working?” Mike smiled back.

“No, you don’t have to get me drunk to do anything anyway” Danny grinned and surprised Mike slightly when he pulled him into another kiss.

Mike smiled against him and slowly pushed him to lie down on the sofa as they kissed.

Torrie
02-03-2005, 22:54
Awwww, bless - Danny's sweet putting himself down all the time. And LOL at Nana having a better social life than Jake and Alfie! :)

Cherryz
02-03-2005, 23:46
Danny was leaning against Mike on the sofa, and picked up Mike’s arm to look at the watch on his wrist “Damn, its late” Danny groaned.

“You could stay here” Mike rested his chin on Danny’s shoulder

“What, you mean…”

“I don’t mean… I mean I have a spare room, you could sleep there if you wanted or”-

“Well I told Jake I would be back tonight” Danny admitted.

“I’m sure he wouldn’t mind… I have things you can borrow, clothes and such”-

“But how would I explain... I told Jake I had a date with some nurse, a female one” Danny looked down. “I’m sorry, I couldn’t tell him… not yet. Have I disappointed you?”

“Not in the slightest, and I understand” Mike stated slowly as he kissed Danny’s neck. “Though, I’m not sure I’d look good in a nurse’s outfit”

Danny laughed, “too right” he received a poke in the ribs for that, “ow, you don’t mind do you, that I didn’t tell Jake the truth?”

“Like I said before, you tell people in your own time. Besides, having a secret relationship is kind of exciting isn’t it?”

“I guess so” Dan smiled. “And you don’t mind me not spending the night?”

“I understand it’d be too weird. Don’t think you’ve spoilt anything either, it’s been a wonderful evening”

“Yeah, it has. Thanks Mike…for being so understanding and for…well you know”

“I know” Mike hugged Danny from behind, “move up babe, let me phone you a cab”

“…Did you just call me babe?” Danny raised an eyebrow.

“Um, I think I did”

“…Babe?” Danny repeated looking like he was either going to laugh or be annoyed.

“I was being friendly” Mike patted Danny’s back as he moved forward, allowing Mike to get up and get to the phone.

Danny shook his head to himself and couldn’t help smirk.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

Danny slowly moved through the house in the dark, heading towards the kitchen. He couldn’t help but grin to himself in a silly school girl manner, as he thought about the evening he’d had.

He glanced over to the door surprised when there was a click and light burst into the room, at the same time there was a small cry and Alfie practically leapt in the air from shock, “Jesus Christ!”

“No, I’m Danny” Danny replied as he spotted the cups now with the light on, “drink?”

“When did you get back?” Alfie asked, calming himself down.

“About two minutes ago” Danny said as he poured himself a glass of water, “did you want one or not?” he asked, raising the glass before drinking some of it.

“I’m fine” Alfie waved off.

“Why are you down here then? You can’t have thought I was a burglar” Danny smirked.

“You Danny, you’re more like the HamBurglar” Alfie commented.

Danny rolled his eyes, “so, why are you down here instead of tucked up in bed eh?” he pressed.

“I came to get uh…” Alfie trailed off, without an excuse.

“Something on your mind Alfie?” Danny asked.

“Nothing that I’d talk to you about Danny, alright” Alfie snapped and was a bit surprised to see Danny’s expression fall.

“well sorry for asking” Danny snapped back.

“Dan, I’m sorry”

“What ever, I’m used to it anyway”

“I haven’t been able to think straight since finding out Kat’s coming back this week”

Danny dropped the tirade he was about to pull and put down his glass and faced Alfie, becoming serious “how did you find out?”

“…Zoe told me, when I was packing up the stall. She’ll be coming back this week”

“… so, is that good or bad news?”

“I don’t know”

“But you miss her?”

“Of course”

“Do you want her back?”

Alfie stared at Danny, remaining silent.

“Alfie, if you want her, you’re going to have to do something to get her, you can’t just sit back and keep quiet and go over the what-ifs and if onlys because you’re scared. You have to go for it”

“….blimey Danny, how much alcohol have you had to make you reasonable and smart?”

Danny rolled his eyes, “I am, you just haven’t cared to listen to me before”

“…Thanks mate” Alfie patted Danny on the shoulder, feeling a bit guilty for underestimating his cousin.

“Anytime, just don’t tell Jake, he might think I’ve grown up” Danny smirked and gave Alfie a one armed hug, “I’m going upstairs…is Jake awake?” he asked, and inwardly smiled at the rhyme.

“Probably”

“You staying down here then?”

“Yeah”

“Alright well, I guess I’ll see you in the morning”

“Yeah… g’night Danny”

“’night Alfie”

Torrie
03-03-2005, 00:08
Awww, sweet - nice to see Danny understanding how Alfie's feeling about Kat! :)

Rach33
04-03-2005, 15:03
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww he's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute keep it up babes