PDA

View Full Version : fears over anti gay outburst

chance
12-04-2005, 21:15
Coronation Street bosses are worried about offending its gay fanbase with a scene featuring an outburst from Vera Duckworth.

The Daily Star reports that Vera Duckworth, played by Liz Dawn, will lose her temper with bingo caller Sean Tulley (Anthony Cotton) when he gives all the balls camp names.

She then brands him a "dirty little poofter" to the disgust of others including Janice Battersby (Vicky Entwhistle).

Executives are now wary of the scene fuelling anti-homosexual views. An insider told the newspaper: "There is one thing about reflecting real life 2005 issues - but it's very much another if you overstep that mark."

gbnut
12-04-2005, 21:19
i doubt she would get away with using the word poofter

Jemma
12-04-2005, 21:34
I think it would be quite a good storyline though, people do have homosexual views in real life and soaps are meant to represent real life to a point aren't they? And it does say "to the disgust of others" so it shows other people don't think like that as well.

SoapWatcher
12-04-2005, 21:39
Poofter is so monty pythonish:p

daisy38
13-04-2005, 09:25
It would be funny but i can see why people could get offended by it! :)

Siobhan
13-04-2005, 09:56
I think it would be unrealistic if they didn't show someone against gay people.. it happen everyday, so soap should reflect that

London_Babe
13-04-2005, 10:59
I think Corrie are going to go down the insult route which is obviously wrong. What would be good is if the storyline was simply Vera telling Sean that she didn't agree with his lifestyle and didn't appreciate what he just did. Actually, in our free and democratic society, she would still get labelled homophobic. I would really like it if corrie would represent the flip side of the coin and let Vera label them hetrophobic.

Siobhan
13-04-2005, 12:23
If they do go down the insult route and show everyone disgust at this then that would be a valuable lesson to younger viewers watch who see and hear all manner of people been insulted everyday..

Trinity
14-04-2005, 17:13
Siobhan has a good point. These things happen every day in real life, use the soap to should how other people feel about homophobic views, and possibly how it upsets gay people. I can see Sean upset already..