PDA

View Full Version : Should parents bully/manipulate their children into having an abortion?

jstevens1
18-08-2005, 23:40
Dear Mordor and Co

I know the Katy storyline has long since finished, but in the light of the recent abortion debate I would like to get a few things off my chest.

Parents may feel justified for doing this because:-

a. They think that their daughter cannot cope with a baby (particularly if she is under 16)
b. They feel their daughter may be throwing away the chance of a good career/education (as in the case of Katy Harris).
c. They feel their daughter may be missing out on the same lifestyle that her peers are having e.g. freedom to go out.
d. The parents may not be able to cope with/afford another baby irrespective of whether it is their's or their daughter's (particularly if their own relationship is in trouble).
e. The parents are worried about the impact a new baby (again irrespective of whether it is theirs or their daughter's) would have on any of their other children and feel it may not be fair on them.
f. The girl's mother might have been a single mother entering a new relationship and feel that this new arrival might jeopardise it.
g. They feel disappointed/angry with their daughter for getting into this mess.
h. The parents may be old fashioned and have Victorian views about this - i.e. Their daughter is a fallen woman/whore/slut/slag who has brought shame and disgrace on the whole family (even now it is a scandal for a schoolgirl to get pregnant) and feel the need to punish her.

But none of the above takes into account the girl's emotional welfare. Many girls like Katy (although the Corrie storyline is extreme) may commit suicide, suffer depression, self-harm (especially if they have a miscarriage/stillbirth/hysterectomy later on in life and feel that it is their punishment) - evidence of this has been highlighted from Post-abortion counsellers + Life Organisations.

I therefore feel that the Katy Harris storyline should serve as a warning and an example to any parent considering going down that route.

Yours

jstevens1