PDA

View Full Version : Maybe next time (danny, eastenders)

Cherryz
10-04-2005, 23:48
It just had to be one of his brother’s looks, or tone of voice, that brought back the same memory from childhood, when he first really remembered Jake getting mad at him.

It had been over Christmas, when Danny decided he wanted to set up the tabletop football game he had been very lucky to receive. The box had said ‘Adult assembly required’, but their parents were out, so he asked his older brother to do it.

Danny sat on the floor next to his older brother, smiling to himself as he watched his brother set up the game. He guessed secretly Jake was quite proud of himself that HE had been asked to set it up, and was doing a good job at it.

But Danny wasn’t the type to sit back quietly and be patient. He wanted to help out, and he wanted his brother to say well done, good job Danny. So when his brother had his back turned to look at the instructions for the next part, Danny decided to put the stickers on, starting with the scoreboard. He knew his numbers by now, and surely this would earn a smile from Jake.

He wasn’t expecting a different reaction. Danny had put the stickers that were supposed to go on the players’ uniforms on the scoreboard, and some were messily done and crinkled. “Danny, you’re wrecking the whole thing!” Jake cried out.

The younger brother bit his lip as he looked down at the sheet of stickers and hid the rest behind his back, and then he started to cry. It was only their dad who was supposed to get mad, not Jake. He was supposed to be the nice one, who didn’t yell.

“Come on, quit crying” Jake pleaded as he walked towards his younger brother.

Danny stood up, as a childish bitter scowl crossed his face that was marred with tears. “I don’t even want to play with it, or YOU anyway!” he yelled as he kicked at the nearly finished game.

Jake’s eyes widened, “Danny! I almost finished it! Look what you’ve done now; what do you think dad will do when he finds out?”

This only seemed to make things worse as the boy turned around and shook with each sob.

“Who’s crying?” a loud bark made them jump. Jake turned and swallowed, paling slightly when his father appeared in the doorway – he’d returned. “What the – is that the game I bought you kids for Christmas? Is it?!... Danny!”

Jake hesitated when his brother cowered behind him. “He, he’s crying because, I kicked his game”

His dad grabbed him by the arm and dragged him forward. Danny whimpered and Jake flinched. “Do you have any idea how much we spent on that?!” he yelled near the child’s face, “I don’t know why I bother, when a little brat like you wrecks everything! I’ll teach you about kicking things” their father growled as he tugged the boy out of the room.

Later that night, when the lights had been turned off and the boy’s were in their beds, Danny rolled over to face his brother’s back. “Jake?” he whispered. Silence. “Jake?” he said a bit louder.

“Sshh, do you want dad to come and find us still awake?” Jake whispered back warningly.

Danny bit his lip as he fingered the corner of his quilt. “I’m sorry” he said quietly. His brother continued facing the wall silently. “I didn’t want to make you or dad mad” he tugged the quilt higher up as he remembered the cries of his brother when he’d stayed sat in the lounge crying like a baby. It should have been him who was punished. “I’ll tell him it was me”

“Don’t” Jake finally replied and rolled over to lie on his back. “Let’s just forget about everything, okay?” he sighed.

No, it wasn’t okay, and he wouldn’t forget it. Danny sat up; “Do you hate me now, like dad does?” he chewed on his lip.

“You’re my brother Danny, how can I hate you?”

“…I wreck everything” the younger replied with watery warmth stinging his eyes.

Jake sighed “No you don’t. I shouldn’t have gotten mad. It wasn’t your fault”

Danny pulled his knees up to his chest, “He hurt you” he stated.

Jake swallowed; “it was nothing” he stared up at the ceiling.

“I don’t like it when dad does ‘nothing’”

There was a small silence before Jake had realized his brother was upset and crying again quietly. He sat up and glanced to the door, hoping his brother wouldn’t cry loud enough to wake their dad.

“Danny...” he glanced over in the darkness towards his brother. It wasn’t unusual for his brother to get upset at night. He particularly disliked the dark when all he could see was the thin beam of light under the door, where occasionally their fathers shadow threatened. “Quick, come over here”

Danny without hesitation pulled back his quilt and clambered down from the bed, quietly crossing the short space of floor to the other bed. Jake shifted, giving him room to climb onto and lie down.

“I’m sorry” Danny sniffled, “I always get you into trouble”

“No you don’t” Jake slung an arm around him, “I’m you’re older brother, I’m meant to protect you. Things will be fine, okay?”

It was then Danny made the childish decision that he’d make it up to his brother, and try and protect him sometimes, and make him proud. But now years later, he was beginning to feel that all the attempts were useless, he’d always mess it up, and Jake would no longer put an arm around him and tell him things would be okay, and it wasn’t his fault. Now he was used to the glares and yells from his brother, and from everyone else like Alfie, but still thought hopelessly – maybe next time it’ll be different.

-------------------------

Cherryz
10-04-2005, 23:49
“So, what are we doing today?” Danny asked, stealing a slice of toast off his brother’s plate as he sat down next to him at the kitchen table.

Jake let a momentary annoyed expression cross his face, at the loss of the toast, but let it slide. “I don’t know about you, but I’ve got to see Johnny Allan this morning”

Danny’s brows furrowed as he leant back in his chair, “What is it with you two lately? Drinking together, private chats - Jesus, why don’t you just marry him?”

“Danny” Jake rolled his eyes, “I’m not going to explain myself to you about this again. Just grow up”

Anger flared in the younger’s eyes, he opened his mouth to snap back but their Nana had just walked in, and bad language was a no-no in front of the old dear. “Good morning boys” she chirped as she edged to a chair.

“Morning Nana” the two greeted back with false cheer.

“Cup of tea nana?” Jake offered as he stood up.

“Oh, thankyou darling” she smiled as she sat down and patted Danny’s arm. “And what are you boys up to today?”

“Work” Jake replied.

Danny grit his teeth. “I thought I’d help out Alfie on the stall” he stood up, “I might as well go now, see ya” he smiled at their Nana then gave Jake a look before picking his jacket up off the back of the chair and leaving.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“What do you want Danny?” Alfie groaned as he shifted a box of stock.

“I just thought I’d help out my cousin, is that such a bad thing?” Danny leant against the stall frame shivering slightly and watched Alfie.

“Yeah” Alfie huffed, “look I just want to get on with it today alright, and I don’t want to have to keep one eye on you all the time”

“You don’t have to, I’m not a kid!” Danny snapped back.

“Well you could act like it sometimes mate, you know what I mean” Alfie turned to face him.

“Is there some kind of conspiracy between you and Jake? If you want to get rid of me that bad I can just leave this place”

“Don’t be such a drama queen” Alfie stopped to lean against the frame as well, “we’ve all got lives and friends of our own Danny”-

“Oh here we go another lecture where I’m the one who’s wrong. Forget it, I wouldn’t want to stay freezing out here with you anyway – it’s already cold enough between us” Danny snapped and kicked the box before turning away.

“Hey, hey!” Alfie checked inside the box, “You need to grow up Danny!” he yelled after his cousin.

Danny gritted his teeth as he stuffed his hands in his pockets and walked away, heading to a pub as far away from them as possible.

-----------------------

“Something on your mind Jake?” Johnny asked, not looking up from the newspaper he was looking at, circling various bets to make.

“Huh? Nah” Jake shook his head and continued going through the papers at Andy’s desk.

“Well I should hope work is the only thing on your mind”

“Yeah, yeah it is” Jake turned over a document and clicked the pen a few times as he read it over.

Johnny raised an eyebrow. “I think its time you took a lunch break”

“What? No I’m fine here Johnny, can’t you see I’m busy with this?” Jake scribbled something down.

“I’ve got to go sort out my new house anyway, my son’s supposed to be turning up at some point as well”

“Your son?” Jake looked up.

“Yeah, I’ll introduce you to him later, I’m sure you’ll like him” Johnny patted him on the shoulder. “Now go on, take a break, you need one”

(\/\/\/\/\/\/)

Danny stormed toward’s the bar, silently seething. How could they all just disregard him like that? And tell HIM to grow up?! They were the ones that needed to sort their heads out. With his mind occupied, he ended up walking into the back of someone.

“Hey” they automatically said, as their beer sloshed over onto their hand and the surface of the bar.

“I’m sorry alright!” Danny snapped.

“Yeah I can see” the other said, wiping their hand down the front of their jacket, “bad day?”

“Something like that” Danny muttered and ran a hand through his hair as he let out a sigh. “I’m sorry, look let me buy you a beer and we’ll forget about it” he reached into his pockets and frowned, “damn, I left my”-

“Hey Leanne, two beers please” the guy nodded towards the bartender.

“I left my wallet”-

“Forget it. I’m buying”

“But I”-

“Tell you what, next time you can buy the beers”

“…Thanks” Danny sighed and sat next to him at the bar.

“Michael” the stranger stuck his hand out, “but I prefer Mike”

Danny blinked at the offered hand. “Daniel. But I prefer Danny” he shook the hand briefly.

“So Danny… do we drink together in silence or mope together?” the other smiled.

“I’m not in the mood to talk about my problems”

“Ah I see” Mike said as the beers were placed in front of him and he thanked Leanne. “Well, enjoy your beer”-

“You could talk about your problems though. I mean we could talk about whatever… I’m not good at this talking thing” Danny groaned.

Mike laughed; “want to sit in that booth?” he nodded towards it, “it might be easier to relax there”

“….sure... Why not” Danny picked up his beer and followed him.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“So what have you got Danny doing – sent him to get hot drinks? Wouldn’t blame you, wish I’d got here in time so he could buy me one” Jake hunched up from the cold as he approached Alfie.

“What?” Alfie turned back to the lady he was finishing serving, “bye-bye, thanks love!” he waved her off and turned to Jake again, “I haven’t seen him since he stormed off earlier”

“Oh what, he didn’t hassle any customers did he?”

“He didn’t stick around for that long, he was gone before I finished setting up” Alfie rubbed his hands together and looked around.

“Great” Jake sighed. “Did he go into the Vic?”

“He didn’t head that way, but I don’t know, might have snuck in after a while, I’ve been pretty busy on here”

“Right” Jake nodded, “I’ll have a look, see if a beer will make a good enough peace offering for today”

“I’m telling you Jake, he’s got worse mood swings than any girl I’ve ever known. And I married into Kat Slater’s family” Alfie shook his head, and turned his attention to a potential customer, “’ello love, see anything you fancy? Apart from me” he laughed.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

“Excuse me a moment” a ringing mobile interrupted the conversation between Danny and Mike. Danny quietly drank what was left of the beer as Mike answered the phone.

“Hello?...yes… I haven’t forgotten… I’ll be there soon… I’m just finishing up a meeting… nothing important…. Bye” he turned the phone off.

Danny raised an eyebrow. “Call from your other half?”

“Hardly, it was my dad” Mike smiled back.

The other laughed, “Oh. Are you avoiding him for as long as you can or something?” Danny asked then shifted at Mike’s look, “you said you were finishing up a meeting”

“Well technically this is a meeting right?” Mike smirked. “I better get going”

“Oh right well… thanks. For the beer”

“No problem, next time you can buy the first round, and I won’t take any excuses like ‘forgetting’ your wallet”

“You live around here then?” Danny asked.

“Nearly. Moving” Mike shrugged on his jacket, “But you’ll be bound to find me here around lunch times”

“Alright. We’ll do this again sometime then”

“Certainly” Mike stuck his hand out, “bye Danny”

Danny shook it, “bye Mike” he watched the other left and felt the corner of his mouth pick up into a smile.

(\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/)

Later on, Jake was at their house watching TV. Jake kept glancing towards the clock and the phone and then back at the TV. Alfie was still on the stall and their nana had gone out shopping, so there was no need for him to act like everything was great.

When he heard the front door open he sprang to his feet as he folded his arms. “Danny?”

“Wow bruv, developed powers to see through walls while I’ve been out?” Danny walked into the lounge and smiled at his brother.

“Where have you been?”

“Out mother, is that alright? It was you and Alfie who wanted rid of me anyway”

Jake sighed, “don’t start on”-

“I’m not starting anything. Like Alfie said, we have our own lives and our own friends. So, I went for a drink with a mate”

Jake blinked at him, expecting some kind of woe is me rant instead. “What? Who?”

“You could at least act less surprised, I’m not that anti-social”

“Who?” Jake repeated.

“Well I just met him today actually at the pub oddly enough. I literally bumped into him” Danny settled down on the sofa, “Urgh, how could you watch this?” he picked up the remote and changed the channel.

“Well, are you going to tell me his name?”

“Huh?” Danny replied not looking from the TV, “Oh, it’s Mike”

Jake blinked. “Mike?”

“Yeah. Mike”

“Mike” a smirk suddenly crossed Jake’s face.

“What are you, some kind of echo?” Danny groaned annoyed.

“No… No I’m just glad you’re in a better mood that’s all”

“You mean glad someone else is going to be lumbered with my presence” Danny switched the channel again.

“I’m getting a cuppa, want one?” Jake headed to the kitchen with the smirk still on his face.

“Sure” Danny called back and continued switching the channels.

Rain_
11-04-2005, 09:09
Well i must say this is a refreshing change Cherryz, Johnny's wayward son turning up instead of a wayward daughter. And i can see the friendship between Mike and Danny being an interesting one. Fantastic script. More soon please :)